Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:16:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rolling Stone: Albums we?ve always wanted to hear
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone: Albums we?ve always wanted to hear  (Read 3791 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: January 06, 2007, 12:35:43 PM »

Hey! Remember the much discussed, Rosetta Stone of record discoveries that was the Velvet Underground disk discovered in a Chelsea, N.Y. basement in 2002? The record (which was recorded in April, 1966) was originally sold for 75 cents at a Manhattan flea market, but was auctioned off to a bidder for an insane $155,401 on eBay earlier this month. And while that bid turned out to be a fake, the authenticated disk was eventually sold to a real live collector for a still-impressive $25,000. NOW tracks purporting to be from this recording have appeared online. It is still to be determined if THESE tracks are from the auctioned record, but in any case, it?s totally fun to check out potentially original versions of these familiar songs like ?Heroin? and ?Venus In Furs.? The record has been described as the primitive first ?finished? version of the LP that Andy Warhol shopped to Columbia as a ready-to-release debut album by his pet proteges in ?The Velvet Underground.?
Geeking out over this gritty gold from the vault got us thinking about all the other lost albums we?ve always wanted to hear. We?d pick the following three.

* The Lost Record, Cat Power: Recorded and delivered to Matador in 1999 for release after Moon Pix, it was shelved at Cat?s request so she could release The Covers Album instead.

* Cigarettes and Valentines, Green Day: Billie Joe has said this record, which was meant to follow 2002?s Shenanigans but never hit the racks because the masters were stolen from the studio, was ?good stuff? but not ?maximum Green Day.? We?d like to decide for ourselves.

* Chinese Democracy, Guns N? Roses: For starters we?d love to hear the NIN-influenced industrial rock version from the late 90s, though the one they?ve been promising this decade would be fine as well.

Which lost albums would you most like to hear?

-- Rolling Stone

Story here: http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/01/05/wanna-hear-the-lost-vu-record/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 01:07:49 PM »

Who cares about that Green Day album?

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Edrose
Headliner

black sheep are the new dolphins...

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 01:09:21 PM »

exactly

i sware it was mentioned in a thread yesterday too
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 01:48:34 PM »

I'm sure Green Day fans do, but I'd be more curious as to who the hell would want that "Cat Power" album?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 01:59:22 PM »

Well, they've had more success than GNR in the last decade, so somebody would.

Randy Jesus
VIP

This Never Happened, It's Just a Dream...

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 02:06:20 PM »

Its funny how a few punks have been the saviors of rock music over that last decade, the band doesn't even give a rats ass about anything. Green Day is the GNR of Punk Music, except they didn't destruct... yet...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 02:55:45 PM »

true, but considering they put out 5 albums and GNR put out lets see 0 albums I dont think that is much of a comparison....even though the GNR Greatest Hits has been on the Billboard charts longer than all of those Green Day albums combined.....
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 03:38:32 PM »

? ? * Cigarettes and Valentines, Green Day: Billie Joe has said this record, which was meant to follow 2002?s Shenanigans but never hit the racks because the masters were stolen from the studio, was ?good stuff? but not ?maximum Green Day.? We?d like to decide for ourselves.

Neither was the rest of your albums, Billie.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 05:14:17 PM »

Geez. American Idiot rocked from front to back.

I'd like to hear that lost album.  ok

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 05:19:01 PM »

I'd like to see one thread that mentions other bands and GN'R not turn into a discussion about the other bands.

It seems to be impossible.

The concept of having only GN'R discussions in the GN'R section seems like an impossible thing to graps for some.

Some singer covers a GN'R song, and instead of talking about the cover in question, the thread turns into a "she's hot vs she's not" thread.

Somebody lists a GN'R album as an album we'd love to see released and the thread turns into being about how good/bad the other bands mentioned on the same page are.

People like The Legend are very good at this and I suggest you think before you post from now on.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 06:08:45 PM »

Can someone elaborate on the "NIN-influenced industrial rock version from the late 90s" vrs the final album?

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 08:27:02 PM »

Those who know far more on this than I do, please chime in:

Towards the end of the 90's, Democracy was rumored to have a heavy-industrial influence on many of the tracks.? Those? same influences were the cause of many disagreements between original members, and Axl's desire to incorporate NIN-style instrumentation and writing widened the rift that had already formed between the himself and the band ("Oh My God" is pretty solid example of the industrial edge that Axl was adding to his repertoire, and shows off the sound that GnR were working on at the time).?

Since then, the tone and overall feel of the songs are rumored to have shifted many times over, bringing us to the slightly more "traditional" GnR rock sound we've heard on the leaks - Better, The Blues, etc.? The RS bit just says they would like to hear all the NIN-style songs that were slated to be CD at the end of the 90's/2000...?
darkmonth
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 09:03:11 PM »

Me.  Because I have an open mind and like Green Day as well as GnR.... you know ... it IS possible to like more than one band Wink
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 09:39:37 PM »

Simply, they mean the songs in the vein of Silkworms, Oh My God and Rhiad...

I for one am glad that the new "new" songs really sound like GNR with a new approach.

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 11:41:25 PM »

Chinese Democracy is not an album that was turned into the label and rejected.  It's lame that it is on this list.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 02:44:49 AM »

Chinese Democracy is not an album that was turned into the label and rejected.  It's lame that it is on this list.

I don't see where they are saying that CD "was turned into the label and rejected" but rather a "lost album"... something they would like to hear that has yet to surface. ok

scar2d2w
Headliner

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »

true, but considering they put out 5 albums and GNR put out lets see 0 albums I dont think that is much of a comparison....even though the GNR Greatest Hits has been on the Billboard charts longer than all of those Green Day albums combined.....

5 albums vs. 0 albums is a form of comparison.

The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »

I'd like to see one thread that mentions other bands and GN'R not turn into a discussion about the other bands.

The concept of having only GN'R discussions in the GN'R section seems like an impossible thing to graps for some.

Some singer covers a GN'R song, and instead of talking about the cover in question, the thread turns into a "she's hot vs she's not" thread.

Somebody lists a GN'R album as an album we'd love to see released and the thread turns into being about how good/bad the other bands mentioned on the same page are.

People like The Legend are very good at this and I suggest you think before you post from now on.? ok

/jarmo

So how 'bout them Colts?

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 07:02:30 PM »

People like The Legend are very good at this and I suggest you think before you post from now on.? ok

/jarmo

So how 'bout them Colts?

rofl -1 Karma for you  hihi

Anywho, i dobut we'll ever hear that version of the album... although some tracks i'm sure are the same, i.e. catcher and TWAT....
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 07:05:07 PM »

5 albums vs. 0 albums is a form of comparison.

I think so too.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: