Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:24:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  KNAC Los Angeles Review
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: KNAC Los Angeles Review  (Read 3362 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: January 02, 2007, 10:10:06 PM »

This was just posted on KNAC.com today?  Nice review plus some photos.

Guns N' Roses in Los Angeles

By Ravinder,
Tuesday, January 2, 2007 @ 3:40 PM

3 Nights of Guns

The lights went dim, the guitars started playing those oh-so-familiar, echoey notes--the intro to ?Welcome to the Jungle?. From the darkness, an unmistakable voice shrieks, ?You know where the fuck you are?!!?

So began three nights?errr?rather mornings of Guns N? Roses in Los Angeles. The bill included Suicide Girls, Helmet, Sebastian Bach and Guns N? Roses. Each night, Guns hit the stage around 11:45 pm and played until about 2:15 in the morning.

My very first concert ever was Skid Row and Guns N? Roses, so these shows definitely took me back to that era and that same unbridled enthusiasm and excitement. But times they have a changed. In case you?ve been in a coma (a song the didn?t do!) for the last several years, I?ll fill you in on the current line-up. Singer Axl Rose is the only original member of Guns N? Roses left in the band. Keyboardist Dizzy Reed has been with the band since 1990. The newer additions to the band are guitarists Robin Finck (Nine Inch Nails) and Ron ?Bumblefoot? Thal, rhythm guitarist Richard Fortus, bassist Tommy Stinson (The Replacements), drummer Frank Ferrer (Love Spit Love, Psychedelic Furs) and keyboardist Chris Pitman.

Axl?s voice sounded very reminiscent of the voice we all know. He?s in shape, looks great and had immense energy throughout the two and a half hour sets. He ran all over the stage and commanded the audience?s attention, as only Axl Rose can. Lead guitarist Robin Finck looked like a man possessed, yet played so soulfully.

The other new guns seemed to be having a great time on stage and were very energetic and skilled. You could feel the cycle of the crowd feeding off the band?s energy and the band feeding off the crowd?s.

The three nights were full of excitement and fun entertainment. Most everything that went wrong was taken in stride and laughed off. The drums were briefly smoking one night--literally smoking, as roadies quickly put out a small fire caused by the sparklers coming down; Robin took a spill and landed flat on his back, only to quickly get up and then be attacked by Axl?s flying mic stand; Axl took a stumble down the stairs coming down from the platform where the drums and keyboards were set up, but he didn?t miss a beat and was trying not to laugh as he finished performing the rest of the song.

For all those curious as to who showed up at the Los Angeles Guns N? Roses shows, spotted were Danny Bonaduce, Ron Jeremy, Lonn Friend and of course, the slew of lesser-known LA musicians and friends.

Sebastian Bach joined Axl for a duet of ?My Michelle?--very fun to see both these amazing frontmen sharing the same stage and song. A big highlight of these shows was to see original guitarist and songwriter Izzy Stradlin join the band for parts of the last hour of the shows. His style was exactly the same as it was when I first saw the band in 1991--very unassuming, mellow and humble, yet with such a presence that he demanded your attention and respect. It was nice to see him get the audience appreciation I?m sure he didn?t receive as much of back when he was sharing the stage with Slash.

Izzy joining the band on stage made me wonder what many fans have been speculating about and yearning for for years. Reunion. I can see it happening sometime, but it would have to be under such extreme circumstances. I?m sure it would be very short-lived, but much appreciated by the fans. Hatchets would have to be buried (or at least temporarily covered by kicked-in dirt), Axl would have to relinquish the full control over the band he currently has, and egos would have to be put aside. For now, though, it seems this new GN?R is doing well and the former Guns have all moved on as well (three of whom are in the Grammy-winning band, Velvet Revolver). There?s no need right now for all of them to consider a reunion. Look at it as getting more material from several talented musicians. Hopefully we?ll have the completed Chinese Democracy in our hands come March.

Set List:

* Welcome To The Jungle
    * It?s So Easy
    * Mr. Brownstone
    * Live And Let Die
    * Better
    * Robin Finck Solo
    * Sweet Child O' Mine
    * Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    * You Could Be Mine
    * Dizzy piano solo of Rolling Stones? "Angie"
    * The Blues
    * Rocket Queen
    * Down On The Farm
    * Richard Fortus Solo (Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas)
    * Out Ta Get Me
    * Axl Piano Solo into November Rain
    * Think About You (with Izzy)
    * Ron Thal Solo (Mr Grinch with Ron singing)
    * Don?t Cry (Instrumental with the audience singing all the lyrics)
    * My Michelle w/ Axl and Bach singing and Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys on guitar
    * Patience (with Izzy)
    * Nightrain (with Izzy)

-ENCORE-

* Chinese Democracy
    * I.R.S.
    * Madagascar
    * Paradise City (with Izzy)

Story and photos at: http://knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=5184

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 10:14:52 PM »

Good read, thanks  ok
evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 10:22:43 PM »

Did you have to say that part about Danny Bonaduce?  That almost ruined it for me.   Grin

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:24:04 PM »

yup, this was a nice one, no details but it was positive and that was matters if you wanna open peoples eyes..

cool that ron jeremy was there hihi only a few days ago posted three pics of him and axl together joking about wondering who will call the other one Grin
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 10:26:59 PM »

nice review. positive press regarding the shows this time around is pretty strong.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Chief
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 12:35:06 AM »

Pretty good review, well written and a good read. thanks for posting it! loved the pics too!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 12:40:10 AM »

awesome review, maybe we can use those pics for the dvd for the 20th
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 07:09:55 AM »

Wonder if Lonn Friend got a chance to speak to Axl - according to Lonn's book, there was a fall-out/misunderstanding between them ages ago.  Lonn still seems to be a big Guns supporter though.
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 08:49:10 AM »

dude i want this show so damn bad!

Red_Locks
Headliner

...you can't put your hands around a memory...

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 08:55:45 AM »

Nice review..good to read

can't wait to go to a GNR gig myself..which hopefully..will be soon *srry..back to topic!*

Fuck the poets of the past, my friends..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=862JtVBBv78? ..GNR during their free time
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 10:31:29 AM »

That's an okay review, but why does every half ass who reviews shows still speculate about a reunion of the original lineup? What the hell does this guy know about what has to happen for a reunion. I'm betting he doesn't know shit, he was just B.S.ing to make sure his review met the minimum word requirement.

The old lineup is dead, let it lie. Long live the new GNR! Cool
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 10:34:05 AM by slashsbaconpit » Logged

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 10:52:55 AM »

Look at it as getting more material from several talented musicians >> that's what we all been saying for years. people need to stop bitching now Smiley

The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 12:33:54 PM »

Since when was Danny Bonaduce a celebrity?

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 01:42:34 PM »

Damn I miss KNAC. It was the perfect rock station at the perfect time. Them and Pirate radio. Los Angeles products at their finest. They both so completely kneeled before GN'R.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 07:01:39 PM »

That's an okay review, but why does every half ass who reviews shows still speculate about a reunion of the original lineup? What the hell does this guy know about what has to happen for a reunion. I'm betting he doesn't know shit, he was just B.S.ing to make sure his review met the minimum word requirement.

The old lineup IS dead, but not in most of the public's eye. The old lineup is all the GnR material people have to listen to, other than going to a concert. It's going to take some time, but it will happen with CD release.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 10:27:50 AM »

The old lineup IS dead, but not in most of the public's eye. The old lineup is all the GnR material people have to listen to, other than going to a concert. It's going to take some time, but it will happen with CD release.

Yeah, but if the media keeps restating over and over about a reunion, it'll never move on. If people are just told Guns N' Roses, blah blah blah, they'll eventually accept it, and move into the future. But if everything always mentions reunion, as soon as those words are uttered, people are immediately going to be reminded of the old era, instead of what's currently going on.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
madagas
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 10:38:37 AM »

I doubt "reunion" would be mentioned quite as often if the new band had an album out.  ok
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 10:53:26 AM »

I doubt "reunion" would be mentioned quite as often if the new band had an album out.? ok

There wouldn't be a need for a reunion if Gn'R were touring extensively in support of their new album  Wink

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 11:26:06 AM »

I doubt "reunion" would be mentioned quite as often if the new band had an album out.? ok

There wouldn't be a need for a reunion if Gn'R were touring extensively in support of their new album? Wink

I think you're right.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 03:20:41 PM »

If people are just told Guns N' Roses, blah blah blah, they'll eventually accept it, and move into the future

I disagree, I don't think some (a lot, probably half) people will ever accept Gn'R without Slash and Duff.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: