Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:20:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  December 20th - Gibson Amphitheatre DISCUSSION THREAD
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: December 20th - Gibson Amphitheatre DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 8319 times)
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 03:30:50 AM »

anyone have the audio of ron playing mr grinch?

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Edrose
Headliner

black sheep are the new dolphins...

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2006, 04:34:03 AM »

anyone have the audio of ron playing mr grinch?

theres a youtube video of it in the youtube thread
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2006, 07:59:08 PM »

I am glad that the band is finally starting to get positive reviews. I have read so many lately, and it seems that people are starting to see this band as gnr. This is a good article and I feel the same way. The original line-up will always be gnr, I grew up on them. 2002 just did not do it for me, I dont care how good of a guitar player bucket is, i dont want to see some idiot with kentucky fried chicken bucket on his head standing next to a rock icon like axl. It just did not do the name justice! Seeingfiing them again this year in Cleveland, they actually looked and sounded like a gnr the world can accept. Now i did not say replace, but I can accept them as the evolution of the name. Now the article:

http://www.craveonline.com/music/articles/04647263/roses_new_guns.html
Chief
Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2006, 08:09:33 PM »

Thanks for posting that.. a pretty good writeup and it covered that show quite well!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2006, 08:10:24 PM »

That's pretty sweet.

But...

A third guitarist stood apart from the others both visually and sonically, effortlessly tearing through every riff and solo like a man possessed; think Jimmy Page on ecstasy. Even after Rose introduced the bearded, sunglass-wearing phenomenon by name, dressed like a cross between Jim Morrison and Chris Robinson, I still couldn?t believe I was looking at Robin Finck. Having proficiently handled axe duties for several years with Nine Inch Nails, Finck looked back then to be something out of the circus of the apocalypse, but the man played like the devil himself. Exuding a confidence no amount of posturing can imitate, he brought a searing intensity to each Guns song with impassioned intricacy and soul. His beautifully shredding five-minute solo following "Better" was a standout performance in a night full of highlights.

Undecided. What?

I must be the only person who still doesn't "feel" Robin's playing. Well.. I feel something... heh. And it's not good.

gnrevolution.com
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2006, 08:11:50 PM »

That's pretty sweet.

But...

A third guitarist stood apart from the others both visually and sonically, effortlessly tearing through every riff and solo like a man possessed; think Jimmy Page on ecstasy. Even after Rose introduced the bearded, sunglass-wearing phenomenon by name, dressed like a cross between Jim Morrison and Chris Robinson, I still couldn?t believe I was looking at Robin Finck. Having proficiently handled axe duties for several years with Nine Inch Nails, Finck looked back then to be something out of the circus of the apocalypse, but the man played like the devil himself. Exuding a confidence no amount of posturing can imitate, he brought a searing intensity to each Guns song with impassioned intricacy and soul. His beautifully shredding five-minute solo following "Better" was a standout performance in a night full of highlights.

Undecided. What?

I must be the only person who still doesn't "feel" Robin's playing. Well.. I feel something... heh. And it's not good.

hes a good guitarist, but hes no shredder
odd1
Banned
Rocker

The storm is getting CLOSER !!!

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2006, 08:13:37 PM »

Relax bro, I am a member at a guitar forum and absolutly nobody there likes the poor guy. I am trying my best to defend him but I guess alot of people dont like his "style" peace
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2006, 08:17:32 PM »

...I do.  Here's hoping others come around once CD is out.      peace
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2006, 08:23:15 PM »

I am glad that the band is finally starting to get positive reviews. I have read so many lately, and it seems that people are starting to see this band as gnr. This is a good article and I feel the same way. The original line-up will always be gnr, I grew up on them. 2002 just did not do it for me, I dont care how good of a guitar player bucket is, i dont want to see some idiot with kentucky fried chicken bucket on his head standing next to a rock icon like axl. It just did not do the name justice! Seeingfiing them again this year in Cleveland, they actually looked and sounded like a gnr the world can accept. Now i did not say replace, but I can accept them as the evolution of the name. Now the article:

I agree with you about 2002.  It's a year in GNR history I would like to forget and I am sure the band does too.  Thanks for posting this review, a great read!

It's really positive that the media has been somewhat kind to GNR this year even with a few setbacks.  I am really looking forward to next year now!
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2006, 08:31:26 PM »

Well I feel everyone eles's style. I even like Finck's studio stuff. But live..  Tongue. Naw.

He just seems sloppy.. and not in a soulful good way. I mean how many times can you mess up The Blues solo? And it's not like he misses notes all the time consistently, but damn its a whole lot of the time. It shouldn't even be 70% of the time.. he should hit notes almost all the time.  I shouldn't have to worry before he plays a solo. One he probably wrote at that. And don't get me started on the old material. I just feel like hes more of a rhythm guy.. and I know that I'll have to "get used to it" but man.. I wish Richard was the main solo guy. He has a good mix of soul and technical ability...

Not to sound like Nesquick.  hihi

I just feel like reviewers are praising Robin because they heard he was the lead and that he was good. In the same way that the reviewers often just repeat what they heard from other reviews... to sound credible.

Anyways, I'm ok with Robin, hes a cool guy, and a good writer. So thats my 2 cents. Doesn't do anything for me live.

Like I said, I like Robin's playing on the demos.. but not live. I'm sure his contributions are huge.

gnrevolution.com
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006, 08:35:04 PM »

Well I feel everyone eles's style. I even like Finck's studio stuff. But live..  Tongue. Naw.

He just seems sloppy.. and not in a soulful good way. I mean how many times can you mess up The Blues solo? And it's not like he misses notes all the time consistently, but damn its a whole lot of the time. It shouldn't even be 70% of the time.. he should hit notes almost all the time.  I shouldn't have to worry before he plays a solo. One he probably wrote at that. And don't get me started on the old material. I just feel like hes more of a rhythm guy.. and I know that I'll have to "get used to it" but man.. I wish Richard was the main solo guy. He has a good mix of soul and technical ability...

Not to sound like Nesquick.  hihi

I just feel like reviewers are praising Robin because they heard he was the lead and that he was good. In the same way that the reviewers often just repeat what they heard from other reviews... to sound credible.

Anyways, I'm ok with Robin, hes a cool guy, and a good writer. So thats my 2 cents. Doesn't do anything for me live.

Like I said, I like Robin's playing on the demos.. but not live. I'm sure his contributions are huge.

just out of interest, do you have link to any videos that he totally fucks up? I'm not discrediting or bashing you, I'm just interested in seeing it.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2006, 08:39:33 PM »

When does this happen?

I've seen 13 or so shows this year and.. haven't really ever noticed Robin mess up.  Everything sounds fine to me.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2006, 08:43:59 PM »

Jack.

I was standing right next to you on the 20th....maybe we're not hearing the same band?  nervous
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2006, 08:49:49 PM »

I like Robin. He is sloppy sometimes and seems to keep his own pace, but I like his playing. It's different, and it blends well with mr Fortus and Thal's abilities.

The major problem people seem to have with him, is his take on the November Rain-solo.

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
Budweiser Froggs
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2006, 08:54:35 PM »

i love his take on the november rain solo.  one of my fav. "old solos" that the new band does.  But I agree he is def. not a shredder.  To me he is the opposite of fortus.  Fortus plays technical, Finck is all about playing with "feeling."
chineseroses
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2006, 08:55:25 PM »

Of the new songs presented, the most impressive by far was the tremendous ?Better.? Delivered with jaw-dropping power, it?s a classic waiting to happen; beginning as a muted nursery-rhyme melody, it explodes into a fierce, immensely addictive rocker with the blood of Use Your Illusion.

all the reviewers seem to like better. I love this description.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2006, 09:03:45 PM »

Jack.

I was standing right next to you on the 20th....maybe we're not hearing the same band?  nervous

I don't know. Lol. Honestly, I just don't feel like the guy is very great at all. Good? Sure. But, not great. I feel nothing when the guy plays

And right now, off the top of my head, I know he botched the end of The Blues on the Dec 20th show... I was there. I know he did pretty much the same thing at Pittsburgh in '02. And yeah thats not too many examples, but it's just from what I've heard.

And on the old material.. I really would say, almost all examples. Like the SCOM solo.. the Patience solo especially. It's not so bad that it messes up the song, I just feel like when people say "Finck adds his own style to the song" that he's just fucking up.

It just seems like Finck struggles on stage.. and it's almost stressful to watch. It's weird.

I take back what I said about him being really.. poor and sloppy.. because I can't prove that you know? That's just how I hear it. Everybody will have their own opinions. It's just I don't feel like he has stage presence or great playing ability and I'm always wondering why he plays over Richard and Bumble when I feel like they are more talented.

But I'm no hater. Robin is a great writer, and I feel he is a great studio musician. I don't mind him being lead too much and I'm over it anyways.

Sorry Finck fans! No offense meant.

gnrevolution.com
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2006, 09:06:17 PM »

Jack.

I don't know. Lol. Honestly, I just don't feel like the guy is very great at all. Good? Sure. But, not great. I feel nothing when the guy plays

And right now, off the top of my head, I know he botched the end of The Blues on the Dec 20th show... I was there. I know he did pretty much the same thing at Pittsburgh in '02. And yeah thats not too many examples, but it's just from what I've heard.

And on the old material.. I really would say, almost all examples. Like the SCOM solo.. the Patience solo especially. It's not so bad that it messes up the song, I just feel like when people say "Finck adds his own style to the song" that he's just fucking up.

It just seems like Finck struggles on stage.. and it's almost stressful to watch. It's weird.

I take back what I said about him being really.. poor and sloppy.. because I can't prove that you know? That's just how I hear it. Everybody will have their own opinions. It's just I don't feel like he has stage presence or great playing ability and I'm always wondering why he plays over Richard and Bumble when I feel like they are more talented.

But I'm no hater. Robin is a great writer, and I feel he is a great studio musician. I don't mind him being lead too much and I'm over it anyways.

Sorry Finck fans! No offense meant.

http://www.gunnerstube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=e926456240b2ff0100bd

thats all i have to say  yes
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2006, 09:09:03 PM »

Jack, you shouldn't have taken the earplugs out.  hihi
EFISH
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2006, 09:10:55 PM »

Axl and co. achieve the impossible December 20th in Los Angeles

Posted: Tuesday, December 26th 2006 03:12 PM PST
By Johnny Firecloud, Writer

Walking into Wednesday?s tour-closing Guns N? Roses show in Universal City, I had good cause for the skepticism I felt. With only one original member, no new material released in over a decade and a tornado of negative hype surrounding the mere name, the modern version of Guns N? Roses should, by all accounts, be a recipe for colossal failure. How do you replace the dirty swagger, the serpentine energy, the explosive chemistry of the band that brought an endgame to hair metal? The vacancies left by the original members seem too vast to be occupied by anyone else, and it?s been the upside of a decade since Axl Rose?s signature wailing dominated the rock landscape. I fully expected the same ugly disappointment and vicarious embarrassment I felt while watching G?N?R?s ?big comeback? performance on the 2002 MTV Music Awards, where my attention was split between Axl?s surgically altered wax-museum face and his embarrassingly off-key performance.

The sleaze was on ten in the Gibson Ampitheater as openers Suicide Girls slithered through an attempt to pass themselves off as erotic art. Nineties rockers Helmet followed offered a spot-on performance, providing the night?s more biting, darker shades, but were met with a surprisingly lukewarm reception. Third preshow act Sebastian Bach, every bit the venerial Skeletor frontman he was in Skid Row, dominated the stage as if it were his band headlining the bill, swinging his shampoo-commercial hair like it was 1989. With a set clocking in at just over an hour, Bach bled the eighties nostalgia out of the room, but I?ll admit with surprisingly little shame that I rocked the hell out to set-closer ?Youth Gone Wild.?

Minutes after midnight, the revving intro to ?Welcome to the Jungle? began as the crowd roared their ecstatic approval. We found ourselves strapped in and screaming down memory lane before any of us knew the engine was even running. A focused, happy-looking Axl ran around the stage like he was on fire, howling the theme song to Los Angeles as fists pumped throughout the crowd. Yes, the man actually shows up to his own concerts these days.

The setlist played out less like the ?Best of G?N?R? mixtape you made in middle school and more like a greatest-hits collection, flavored with scattered gems from each album and even a few impressive selections from Chinese Democracy, the near-mythical "comeback" Guns N' Roses record Rose has labored over since the split of the original lineup. Of the new songs presented, the most impressive by far was the tremendous ?Better.? Delivered with jaw-dropping power, it?s a classic waiting to happen; beginning as a muted nursery-rhyme melody, it explodes into a fierce, immensely addictive rocker with the blood of Use Your Illusion.

The heat of the pyrotechnic blasts could be felt to the rafters as the band tore through ferocious renditions of ?It?s So Easy,? ?Mr. Brownstone? and ?You Could Be Mine? with sharper and more layered intensity than the original lineup possessed; the trademarked slutty, throbbing energy soaked in Jack Daniel?s replaced with the slick mile-a-minute riffs and technical prowess of the finest musicians money ? and the biggest name rock has seen in twenty-five years ? can buy.

Axl?s hired hands, the latest entrants in a revolving door of names facing the impossible mission of honorably reviving the G?N?R sound in the 21st century, respectfully did justice to their roles with faithful, colored renditions of the songs that made me believe in rock n' roll when I was a kid. In what was perhaps a passing attempt lend legitimacy to the atmosphere, original member Izzy Stradlin made an appearance, joining drummer Frank Ferrer, bassist Tommy Stinson, Illusion-era keyboardist Dizzy Reed and guitarists Richard Fortus and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal on a handful of songs. Despite looking out of place and being out of tune onstage, Izzy was warmly welcomed as he contributed an unnecessary third rhythm guitar to a stage already brimming with six-string virtuosos.

Finck was great before his apparent bohemian awakening, but this was something else entirely. He was essentially running through a gallery of world-renowned portraits and landscapes, the best of their time and sacred to many, casting his own colors and impressions onto each canvas. Somehow, blasphemy be damned, he made improvements.

Bumblefoot?s solo instrumental take on ?Don?t Cry? was gorgeous enough to substitute for the real thing. However, the pace of the evening stumbled during his failed, entirely- too-long attempt at turning ?Mr. Grinch? into a sing-along during one of Axl?s many departures from the stage. How many verses are in that damn song, forty? Points for the green smoke effects, but it would?ve gone over better as just a ten-second teaser.

Visually, the years may have done strange things to Axl Rose, but his signature wailing has never been better. Polished, commanding and in high gear from the start, his delivery only grew stronger as the band moved through an impressively solid set. The infamous temper tantrums of old weren?t at all present; Rose actually laughed at himself for slipping and falling on his ass early on. This man knows he has something to prove, and for a reputation such as his, it?s remarkable to see him actually behaving himself. The guy actually comes off as likable.

Sebastian Bach returned to the stage to share vocal duties on a blistering rendition of ?My Michelle,? a appropriately shiteating grin on his face as he traded lines with Rose; after his set earlier in the evening he was offered a major-label record deal. Watch out world, hair metal returns...or something.

The gritty jive of junkie-anthem ?Nightrain? closed the first set, explosive and supercharged. Axl?s vocals were again undeniably perfect as he soared through the highest registers without so much as a strained note. The band exited the stage to thunderous applause, but for a production of this scale, nobody expected the night to end there.

Three of the four encore songs were new, presumably a part of Chinese Democracy (due to hit stores on March 6 ? allegedly -  you know the drill). The first was the grinding, not-quite-epic title track, while ?IRS,? another new overdrive-rocker, was more energetic and fun than the studio version circulating around the net. It gives exactly the impression that Rose likely wants: it?s a logical step forward from Use Your Illusion, Rose?s narrative landscape and dramatic flair pushing the envelope just enough to avoid alienating fans. The magnetic pulse of ?Madagascar? was irresistible, building steadily toward an epic climax with a ?Civil War? vibe.

Red confetti filled the Gibson Ampitheater as the sticky-sweet ?Paradise City? brought the show to a close, a wall of sparks showering down behind Axl while he wailed into the mic as if it were only yesterday that he ruled the rock world, white spandex shorts and all. There?s never been any shortness of theatrics associated with G?N?R, but these days costume changes and pyrotechnics replace concert no-shows and childish fits.

The band took a final bow to ear-splitting cheers, every one of them smiling genuinely. The only true, classic Guns N? Roses was buried before the turn of the century. Nobody's denying that. Short of a seemingly-impossible reunion of the original members, this is the very closest Rose can come to bringing justice to the name while keeping these songs, these living legends, alive. It's close enough for me.

Having canceled what was intended to be the remaining four dates of the tour to put the final touches on Chinese Democracy, Axl?s apparent new urgency is a good sign. It would seem that this is the last stretch before we finally hear what?s been in the works for a decade, but don?t hold your breath ? it?s been said before. The new tracks are a very promising taste of things to come, and should he finally deliver on this latest deadline, one thing is certain:
2007 will belong to Axl Rose.

Setlist
1. Welcome To The Jungle
2. It's So Easy
3. Mr. Brownstone
4. Live and Let Die
5. Better
6. Robin Finck Solo
7. Sweet Child O' Mine
8. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
9. You Could Be Mine
10. Dizzy Solo ("Angie")