Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 05:03:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  GnR Guitarist Comparison
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GnR Guitarist Comparison  (Read 4901 times)
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« on: December 25, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »

I know we've had enough of these discussions, but I thought this was a cool video!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuhm6_gnr-guitarist-comparison

In my opinion:

SCOM: Finck just copies Slash. Slash always wins coz he wrote it and there's something special about his stage prescense when playing the SCOM solo.

Brownstone: What the hell is Finck doing? Stay away from this one, please. He's trying to hard to put his own spin on it methinks. Slash again.

Nightrain: Izzy & Slash. Didn't like Fortus's version on either. Buckethead just copied Slash's solo except for the ending which sounded outta place. Thal sounded completely outta place. Izzy & Slash's fits perfectly with the sleazy, lyrical nature of the song. Prefer Bucket to Thal coz he's more faithful to the original.

November Rain: Damn, Slash is perfect. The most beautiful piece of guitar-playing! Fortus just lack that, I dunno how to describe, top-of-the-world tone, just not the same emotion or that thing that's hard to describe. Finck needs to **** off from this one.

Chinese Democracy: Finck & Thal. Finck is much better on his own stuff. Thal was slightly better than Buckethead but not much difference.

KOHD: Slash. Here's where Buckethead shows he's much better Thal. What was Thal thinking, shredding on KOHD!! Great emotional playing from Bucket in a version much closer to Bob's original. But I still can't look past Slash's solo. It's a classic.

November Rain outro: Thal. Nothing will ever beat the original studio version, but Slash never played it the same live.Thal actually plays it closer to the original than Slash. The added shred elements work kinda cool too.

Nightrain Outro: Slash. This is the best to compare coz it's three completely different solos. I don't like Buckethead's - it doesn't go anywhere. Thal's is better, his jam style suits the outro, but Slash wins coz he keeps the sense of structure. Having said that, watching a video of the new band playing the Nightrain outro is amazing.

Surprised the Paradise City outro wasn't here. I like Buckethead and Thal's version!

Back Off Bitch
VIP

Fritz Lang

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 01:07:31 PM »

That vid sucks... I like how they compare Slash' studio SCOM with a random Finck live SCOM...

This isn't a fair comparison...

12.10.91 Madison Square Garden
05.12.06 Hammerstein Ballroom
05.14.06 Hammerstein Ballroom
11.10.06 Madison Square Garden
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 02:39:01 PM »

That vid sucks... I like how they compare Slash' studio SCOM with a random Finck live SCOM...

This isn't a fair comparison...

Slash's SCOM was live. I agree Finck's SCOM was poor quality.

asianstyles
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 04:29:46 PM »

Here are my opinions on a few of the songs:

Nightrain - Buckethead owns the solo. I think his version is by the best.

November Rain -  To me, solo 1 sounds fairly similar between Slash and Fortus (Without watching the side to side comparison video), but I like the feeling Fortus plays with live. For solo 2, I think Slash is better than Finck. Solo 3, Bumblefoot is awesome.
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 09:31:01 PM »

So, why didn't you jut say, "Slash pwns all deez sngs!" Because all you basically said was that Slash does every song good.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 01:08:58 AM »

I think you need to get your ears checked on Brownstone, Finck owns that solo. I'm not compaing him to Slash (even though I prefer Finck) I just think Robin does a great job on that solo.  yes
Buckethead Superstar
Headliner

No, I wont be told anymore

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 09:08:30 AM »

KOHD: Slash. Here's where Buckethead shows he's much better Thal. What was Thal thinking, shredding on KOHD!! Great emotional playing from Bucket in a version much closer to Bob's original. But I still can't look past Slash's solo. It's a classic.

im not being funny...but i think the shreddin is done by fortus...might be wrong mind u, but when u watch the video, it looks like fortus is the shred king behind this masterpiece
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 09:11:31 AM by Buckethead Superstar » Logged

release the album...nuff said
TheMole
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 12:50:46 PM »

Hmmm... The new band as a whole sounds worse on most of these songs. Are all the Slash versions from live era or something? I mean, could just be that all the new band's songs are chosen somewhat randomly while the old band gets represented with A quality boots?

Buckethead owns on Nightrain though, and I Prefer Fortus to Izzy, when it comes to solos.
Finck hasn't done a single thing right in any of those solo's on there, which is representative of his improv skills. I'm guessing he'll be much better on CD, where he had the time to think about what he was going to do on the song. I'm still undecided on Thal.
Buckethead Superstar
Headliner

No, I wont be told anymore

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 05:15:36 AM »

To be honest, anything with bumblefoot i think sounds a bit off...his motto is "if i play it fast, it doesnt matter what note i hit" and i dont like that...i kinda wish someone would pull him over and say "ya know mate, can ya slow it down just a little bit?" As a person he's a lovely guy

to me, buckethead was a genius, i loved him as a guitarist and a gnr member. He was quick, clean, and hit the right notes but he has gone and im not gonna cry over it

Slash...legend...but is now in another band...not really bothered...velvet revolver are great and wouldnt want it any other way.

All im gonna say is that i hope buckethead is on the album, so he see that axl has changed and decides to come back. Im not starting a whole slash vs buckethead vs bumblefoot...all im saying is i preferred bucketheads style to the others

release the album...nuff said
Chief
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 12:12:16 AM »

i like Robin but the problem i have with him is that he doesn't really improvise that much. i wish he would some more....

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 06:27:34 AM »

This gives a huge unfair advantage to Slash.

Based on those samples:

SCOM: Slash & Finck tie.

Mr. B: Finck. Slash is good also, but I like Finck's spin on it better.

Nightrain: Izzy & Slash. I think they take this one pretty easily.

NR: Fortus & Finck. Both are pretty awesome, but I give a slight edge to Fortus & Finck.

CD: Finck & Bucket. Better energy at this part.

KOHD: No one. See that's the problem with this comparison. The song has been retooled both in 2002 & 2006 in comparison to the 1991-93 version. The 2006 one actually has lyrics, that used to not be there. No one gets a vote here, although of the 'sounds' I heard, I liked Bucket's the best.

NR-outro: Slash. I prefer the original, although Thal plays the hell out of it too.

Nightrain-outro: Thal. Bucket's is up there also. Slash's, okay.

Dude, in the future. Don't compare studio tweaked Live Era album performances to bootleg recordings. It gives a huge advantage to Slash.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 06:30:53 AM by The Legend » Logged

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 07:42:51 AM »

this is a real cool viceo where BH, slash and BBF is compared to each other, all should check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVV0qlukPVw

first it's slash doing the YCBM solo then BH then BBF... IMO slash wins this one

then it's slash doing the Nov.Rain last solo then BH then BBF.. here BBF wins

last it's slash doing nightrain then BH then BBF.. and in this one BH wins

ok
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 07:50:53 AM by CheapJon » Logged
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 11:00:20 AM »

this is a real cool viceo where BH, slash and BBF is compared to each other, all should check it out

first it's slash doing the YCBM solo then BH then BBF... IMO slash wins this one

ok

I've seen this one before, and that's exactly how I call it. Slash, BBF, then Bucket.

vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 05:59:59 AM »

I second that, when Bucket plays he sounds too mechanical, and like he's just shredding without really putting a beginning, middle and end to the solo, it all sounds continuous and like its going no where and could last forever. I really like BBF's take on the solos though, he definately gives them some style of his own which i think is important. And of course Slash is great, being that the solo's were his creative idea and playing in the begining he has the upper hand. Playing wise I perfer him to both of the two players and then would come BBF and then Buckethead as bigbri said above.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 09:28:27 AM »

I cprefer BBF to Slash, and Slash to BH  yes
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 02:58:33 PM »

BBF, Bucket, Slash

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 05:11:21 PM »

Robin owns every solo he plays.   He makes them better than the original, not an easy task at all.  smoking   His November Rain solo is one of the highlights of the whole show, IMO.
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 05:17:56 PM »

ok

I've seen this one before, and that's exactly how I call it. Slash, BBF, then Bucket.

Let me restate that. I didn't mean Slash over BBF over Bucket, no way.

I see it as:
Song 1: Slash's solo is best
Song 2: Bumble's solo is best
Song 3: Bucket's solo is best, and this solo is the best of all 9 solos in the video, by far.

makane
Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 09:54:55 AM »

Who cares how anyone plays them. Slash & Izzy created the pieces, not BBF, Finck, Bucket or Fortus. They are just improvising Slash's solos.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 01:33:46 PM »

Who cares how anyone plays them. Slash & Izzy created the pieces, not BBF, Finck, Bucket or Fortus. They are just improvising Slash's solos.

Improvising or improving?  hihi

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: