Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 12:07:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Acoustic GN'R show wishlist thread (if the played MTV Unplugged, Bridge Benefit etc)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acoustic GN'R show wishlist thread (if the played MTV Unplugged, Bridge Benefit etc)  (Read 12540 times)
ben9785
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 11:42:37 PM »

that would be fuckin cool but I don't see them playing jungle and  SCOM acoustic, it would just butcher the songs....there are so many other songs to pick that would be cool...
Yeah... "Sweet Child of Mine" would work acoustic.. I just mean.. songs like "Welcome to the Jungle", "Paradise City", "My Michelle", "It's So Easy", "Mr Brownstone".. those kinds of songs are meant to be loud and in your face with wah wah dripping off your face and your ears ringing from the distortion.. of course they can be played on acoustics but it would just sound ridiculous
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 11:47:45 PM »

Perfect way to highlight the song craft present in the new songs
hunterwh
Headliner

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 11:49:09 PM »

GNR should do Unplugged. But they should do it Nirvana style and with a bunch of covers that are better than the original.
They should do a really powerful closer like Where Did You Sleep Last Night. Paradise City might not work.

ben9785
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 11:53:17 PM »

GNR should do Unplugged. But they should do it Nirvana style and with a bunch of covers that are better than the original.
They should do a really powerful closer like Where Did You Sleep Last Night. Paradise City might not work.

Ok I understand where you're coming from, but see the thing with Nirvana was, they had alot of melodic songs of course but no matter how poppy some of them may have sounded, they would have been a bit too awkward acoustic. I feel Nirvana picked the best possible songs spanning their catalogue, to interpret acoustically, and yeah there were a few other songs that may have worked (honestly though I can't think of other songs off the top of my head). GNR have a number of songs that would work brilliantly acoustically that maybe they haven't even considered.. and they have sufficient covers in their catalogue that complement their original material, just like the Meat Puppets covers did alongside Nirvana's material. "Knocking on Heaven's Door", "Live and Let Die".. yknow?
mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 11:56:46 PM »

I think this needs to be done!!!! MTV has missed out doing unplugged for awhile what better way to bring it back to the limelight with GnR. Give us fans a chance to register to win a chance to go and watch also. I could see it now!!!! Ahh it would kick serious ass!

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 12:08:43 AM »

I think Better would sound good accoustic. Wink

But I don't think it would be a good thing to promote the new album. They worked very hard to make it sound the way is supposed to sound, I dunno if they would be cool with having this approach officially released. I mean, they playing some secret accoustic gigs is ok, but to really do something for broadcast like this... I don't know, sounds like it's not the better way to promote such a complex album, if what they say about CD is true (wich I think it is).

cody6977
Headliner

sometimes I pee when I poop

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 12:09:15 AM »

Fuck yeah, i would kill for tickets to a GNR unplugged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 12:17:39 AM »

But I don't think it would be a good thing to promote the new album. They worked very hard to make it sound the way is supposed to sound, I dunno if they would be cool with having this approach officially released. I mean, they playing some secret accoustic gigs is ok, but to really do something for broadcast like this... I don't know, sounds like it's not the better way to promote such a complex album, if what they say about CD is true (wich I think it is).
You make some valid points.  BUT it would be a great promotional tool.  Re-expose themselves to the MTV crowd, whatever that may be these days.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 12:22:13 AM »

I get where you're coming from, as I've always felt that the production of this album will be one of it's highlights, but I would presume that any sonic differences would be implied, by virtue of it being an unplugged set; the idea being that the songs are isolated and presented in a format that is unique to that occasion.
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 01:11:24 AM »

Yeah, hopefully Axl is reading this so that he goes forward with the idea, and it pushes back CD yet again.   no

Great idea, but I just have a feeling that it would delay the album again.

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
EFISH
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2006, 01:12:51 AM »

Yeah, hopefully Axl is reading this so that he goes forward with the idea, and it pushes back CD yet again.   no

Great idea, but I just have a feeling that it would delay the album again.
They'd do it after CD is released, but if they didnt... it wouldnt delay.... it'd take a few hours of there time.... but deffinetly after CD is released, not before.
[mango]
Rocker

Chris Pitman = GNR

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2006, 01:47:22 AM »

I've heard The Blues and Madagascar acoustic already - but NOT by GNR, a brazilian artist Silvano Teixeira made a GNR tribute album ("Brazilian Democracy") with GNR acoustic songs (most of them instrumental), and Mad-at-nascar and Blues are from the "new-era". They sound amazing, especially the blues....

18.9.2010 @ Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria - I was almost there
24.9.2010 @ Arena, Zagreb, Croatia - I was there
17.7.2012 @ Spaladium Arena, Split, Croatia - I was there too
dodger girl
Rocker

art is resistance

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2006, 01:53:28 AM »

as much as I'd love to have an official release of what they've been playing in the secret acoustic shows, i think i'm with Voodoochild in this one.. i mean, it wouldn't be wise to release CD after such a long time and immediately release an acoustic album, it would kill the momentum CD could build and the most important thing right now is CD, and people have to get used to the way the songs sound, not a good idea to release acoustic versions as well

usually the MTV Acoustic shows are a way for artists/bands to release something when they have nothing goin on, it gets things pumped again, as it reaches a lot of people and then they profit from the release of a CD/DVD convo instead of putting out another LP

babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2006, 05:48:36 AM »

I have to hear IRS acoustic. Apparently it was played at the acoustic shows.

It was played at the London acoustic gig back in July.  It was truely incredible.  they should def play it acoustic again.
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006, 06:32:04 AM »

I always wanted GnR to do an unplugged show for MTV. I remember hearing about the unplugged CBGB gig with the original band and when I finally got to see it I thought it was amazing even though the camera work wasn't great but it was brilliant. I don't doubt Axl will do alot of things this time that he never got round to doing before and I think such a show would be one of them

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2006, 06:38:15 AM »

as much as I'd love to have an official release of what they've been playing in the secret acoustic shows, i think i'm with Voodoochild in this one.. i mean, it wouldn't be wise to release CD after such a long time and immediately release an acoustic album, it would kill the momentum CD could build and the most important thing right now is CD, and people have to get used to the way the songs sound, not a good idea to release acoustic versions as well

usually the MTV Acoustic shows are a way for artists/bands to release something when they have nothing goin on, it gets things pumped again, as it reaches a lot of people and then they profit from the release of a CD/DVD convo instead of putting out another LP
Who said anything about an acoustic release? Huh

We're talking about an MTV Unplugged performance...
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2006, 06:40:59 AM »

This would be a perfect way to promote the album...

It sure would and a GREAT way for people to get to know and appreciate the new band.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
crofty
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2006, 08:35:28 AM »

that would be fuckin cool but I don't see them playing jungle and  SCOM acoustic, it would just butcher the songs....there are so many other songs to pick that would be cool...
I agree. I'd rather hear a great version of (say) yesterdays, than a bad version of Jungle
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2006, 10:01:59 AM »

As much as I've always loved the idea of GNR Unplugged, I still cannot understand why everyone here says "It would be a great way to promote the album!"
When did fans turn to Public Reltations?
Why not say "That would be an awesome show!"
Who cares about promotion/sales/tickets/publicity? The music is all that matters. Let management and the band worry about the business side of things. Every thread here makes this board look like it's some sort of business project for school...

With that said...
The GNR Unplugged Bootleg that was really popular is EXCELLENT. It's a bunch of songs from the acoustic part of the set in '93, and the CBGB's acoustic set from '87 (or was it 88?)
You Ain't The First was 10x better with Axl on vocals.
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2006, 12:06:35 PM »

It's unlikely they'd do it (release an unplugged CD) to promote Chi Dem.   Having two new CDs on sale at the same time would tend to cannibalize the sales of both discs. 

You could argue that this wasn't the case with UYI I and UYI II, however we don't know how well a single UYI disc would have sold had it been the original release.   There are many that think that every track on both discs is a standout, but there are many that like a bunch of songs off each and think that each has a filler track or two.    There WAS a limited UYI release but I think most of us agree it wasn't as good as it could be and of course it was released WAY after the original UYI I and UYI II releases.   IF UYI I and UYI II sold 10m each, would a "combined" disc have sold 15m?   Who knows...  The UYI I and UYI II release is obviously very far from the norm. 

Many of the hardcore GNR fans would pick up both Chi Dem and Unplugged the same day without flinching.   But for a more average music shopper it's more likely that they'd pick one of the two discs to buy as opposed to both.

However - doing the unplugged show now and then releasing the unplugged CD and DVD later down the track would make more sense.   It may not directly promote Chi Dem but it would promote the band. 

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: