Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 03:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Reuters, article - Fans' appetite for new Guns album is undiminished
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reuters, article - Fans' appetite for new Guns album is undiminished  (Read 6600 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« on: December 12, 2006, 07:46:40 PM »

Fans' appetite for new Guns album is undiminished

By Neil Shah
Reuters
Tuesday, December 12, 2006; 6:05 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Axl Rose's fans are hoping for a miracle this Christmas -- the release of "Chinese
Democracy," the first album of original Guns N' Roses music in 15 years.

Rose, 44, the only original member of the combustible rock group, vaguely told MTV in late August that the
album would hit store shelves "this year," 12 years after work started. The band is currently on a U.S. tour,
its first since 2002, but the album still has no official release date.

With only a few weeks left in 2006, most Guns N' Roses fans now believe the only music they will hear on
Christmas morning will be "Silent Night." During a sold-out performance at New York City's Madison Square
Garden last month, Rose was mum about the album, which has cost roughly $13 million to make, according
to a New York Times story in March 2005.

"Believing 'Chinese Democracy' is coming out this year is the same as believing in Santa Claus," said a fan
on the popular HereTodayGoneToHell Web site (http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com) earlier this month.

Rose's manager, Merck Mercuriadis, who further stoked fan anticipation in early October when he told
Rolling Stone magazine that fans "might walk into (their) record shop one Tuesday and find it there,"
declined to comment for this article. Interscope Records, the band's label, referred inquiries to Mercuriadis.
(Albums usually go on sale on Tuesdays in the United States, a day earlier elsewhere.)

NEW SONGS, TOUR

Most of Rose's bandmates on Guns N' Roses' last album of new material, the two-volume "Use Your Illusion"
set, either quit or were fired as the singer took control of the group, and then took his time recording a
followup. Several waves of replacements also came and went.

Fortunately, the die-hard fans have more staying power. In January, they were sent into a frenzy when a
casual Rose broke his silence to talk to Rolling Stone about the album, describing it as "complex."

That was followed in February by Internet leaks of four new songs, "Better," "I.R.S.," "Catcher in the Rye,"
and "There Was a Time." Two months later, Guns N' Roses announced a summer European tour, and then
played four sold-out warm-up shows at New York City's Hammerstein Ballroom in May.

"For the first time, we had proof that there was new material," said Eric Romano, 33, a Montreal computer
technician and webmaster of http://www.MyGNRForum.com.

Finally, on August 31, Rose appeared at the MTV Video Music Awards in New York, where he said "it is this
year," in response to a question about the "Chinese Democracy" release.

"That's what did it for a lot of fans," said Brian Sharma, 28, a Philadelphia lawyer and owner of two cats
named "Axl" and "Rose." "Axl (had) never said that before."

"This year the excitement level hit an all-time high," said Mark Strigl, 37, co-host of "Talking Metal," a pod-
cast about heavy metal. "I don't know if that excitement will ever be topped again with the hard-core fans."

A NEW HOPE?

Disappointed fans now expect the album to arrive sometime in 2007, possibly timed with the 20th
anniversary of "Appetite for Destruction," the band's 1987 blockbuster debut. Some expect an official
announcement in the coming days.

Meanwhile, Guns N' Roses' global audience remains formidable. The band has sold 38.5 million albums in the
United States, according to the Recording Industry Association of America, while worldwide sales are
estimated at more than 90 million. Guns N' Roses' "Greatest Hits," released in 2004, has sold more than 3
million copies in the U.S.

In a way, however, the absence of "Democracy" makes the online fan community that much more cohesive,
Strigl said. It "gives them something to hope for."

And Rose's dependable unpredictability is part of Guns N' Roses' lasting appeal.

"He's doing it his way, which is the rock n' roll ethos," Sharma said.
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 07:50:04 PM »

whatever Angry

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:50:47 PM »

"Believing 'Chinese Democracy' is coming out this year is the same as believing in Santa Claus," said a fan
on the popular HereTodayGoneToHell Web site (http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com) earlier this month.

ROFLMFAO  rofl rofl rofl rofl

Who the hell said that? Killer quote!

If Chinese Democracy is out this year, I will start to believe again in Santa!!!  hihi

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 07:52:24 PM »

Haha, I'm being quoted. Hilarious hihi

First RS and now this. We can expect an announcement soon people. The negative news are beginning to gain momentum and GN'R has to respond to keep themselves alive.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 09:55:35 PM »

good mention of the site though.sorta i mean i guess.sounded like more doubt then anything.

the one an only horsey !
gummyfish
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 10:23:25 PM »

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/entertainment/2006-12/13/content_757629.htm
1 hour old. nuthin new, but interesting comin from a chinese thing.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 12:34:57 AM »

Well I'm not a disappointed fan.   

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 12:37:32 AM »

I'm not a disappointed fan either but,

I really wish Axl would release SOMETHING SOON!!!!! crying
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 12:39:48 AM by Crowebar » Logged
kbt24
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 09:25:41 AM »

I'm not a disappointed fan either but,

I really wish Axl would release SOMETHING SOON!!!!! crying

Yeah - I'm not mad that GNR hasn't released an album or that they cancel concerts but it worries me. I'm so paranoid that the band will just disappear like they did last time...
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 09:48:26 AM »

Haha, I'm being quoted. Hilarious hihi

First RS and now this. We can expect an announcement soon people. The negative news are beginning to gain momentum and GN'R has to respond to keep themselves alive.

Dude, you're famous hihi

That quote pretty much summed up CD in 2006. And really, how long could they dick around the fans and the media not say something? Hell, whenever VH1 mentions Axl/GNR/CD they always include "Poor GNR fans" or "long suffering GNR fans." That was a good article and I hope it embarrasses a few people.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 10:35:44 AM »

In a way, however, the absence of "Democracy" makes the online fan community that much more cohesive,
Strigl said. It "gives them something to hope for."

it doesn't give me something to hope for, christ it's not my religion.  i'll like the band no matter what, but i really think it's time to release this thing.  Alot of the newly redeemed crediblity axl has will be totally lost.

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
eggers
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 08:41:09 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061213/music_nm/rose_dc

By Neil Shah
Tue Dec 12, 7:27 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) -        Axl Rose's fans are hoping for a miracle this Christmas -- the release of "Chinese Democracy," the first album of original Guns N' Roses music in 15 years.

Rose, 44, the only original member of the combustible rock group, vaguely told MTV in late August that the album would hit store shelves "this year," 12 years after work started. The band is currently on a U.S. tour, its first since 2002, but the album still has no official release date.

With only a few weeks left in 2006, most Guns N' Roses fans now believe the only music they will hear on Christmas morning will be "Silent Night." During a sold-out performance at New York City's Madison Square Garden last month, Rose was mum about the album, which has cost roughly $13 million to make, according to a New York Times story in March 2005.

"Believing 'Chinese Democracy' is coming out this year is the same as believing in Santa Claus," said a fan on the popular HereTodayGoneToHell Web site (http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com) earlier this month.

Rose's manager, Merck Mercuriadis, who further stoked fan anticipation in early October when he told Rolling Stone magazine that fans "might walk into (their) record shop one Tuesday and find it there," declined to comment for this article. Interscope Records, the band's label, referred inquiries to Mercuriadis. (Albums usually go on sale on Tuesdays in the United States, a day earlier elsewhere.)

NEW SONGS, TOUR

Most of Rose's bandmates on Guns N' Roses' last album of new material, the two-volume "Use Your Illusion" set, either quit or were fired as the singer took control of the group, and then took his time recording a followup. Several waves of replacements also came and went.

Fortunately, the die-hard fans have more staying power. In January, they were sent into a frenzy when a casual Rose broke his silence to talk to Rolling Stone about the album, describing it as "complex."

That was followed in February by Internet leaks of four new songs, "Better," "I.R.S.," "Catcher in the Rye," and "There Was a Time." Two months later, Guns N' Roses announced a summer European tour, and then played four sold-out warm-up shows at New York City's Hammerstein Ballroom in May.

"For the first time, we had proof that there was new material," said Eric Romano, 33, a Montreal computer technician and webmaster of http://www.MyGNRForum.com.

Finally, on August 31, Rose appeared at the MTV Video Music Awards in New York, where he said "it is this year," in response to a question about the "Chinese Democracy" release.

"That's what did it for a lot of fans," said Brian Sharma, 28, a Philadelphia lawyer and owner of two cats named "Axl" and "Rose." "Axl (had) never said that before."

"This year the excitement level hit an all-time high," said Mark Strigl, 37, co-host of "Talking Metal," a pod-cast about heavy metal. "I don't know if that excitement will ever be topped again with the hard-core fans."

A NEW HOPE?

Disappointed fans now expect the album to arrive sometime in 2007, possibly timed with the 20th anniversary of "Appetite for Destruction," the band's 1987 blockbuster debut. Some expect an official announcement in the coming days.

Meanwhile, Guns N' Roses' global audience remains formidable. The band has sold 38.5 million albums in the United States, according to the        Recording Industry Association of America, while worldwide sales are estimated at more than 90 million. Guns N' Roses' "Greatest Hits," released in 2004, has sold more than 3 million copies in the U.S.

In a way, however, the absence of "Democracy" makes the online fan community that much more cohesive, Strigl said. It "gives them something to hope for."

And Rose's dependable unpredictability is part of Guns N' Roses' lasting appeal.

"He's doing it his way, which is the rock n' roll ethos," Sharma said.

Reuters

mornintrain
Headliner

A Real Avatar

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 08:46:26 PM »

so who said the quote?  Grin
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 08:49:26 PM »

I believe it was polluxlm.  This has been posted before somewhere ok

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 08:58:39 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 09:21:01 PM »

I think the appetite for the album is undiminished only because of the touring and the fact that the band has gelled more than in '02.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 10:17:11 PM »

I can't believe were speculating a 2007 release date for chinese democracy. when will it end ?

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
dboyd13
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 11:09:50 PM »

Am I the only one who is concerned that Merck has declined comment on a release date from both Entertainment Weekly and now Reuters both wide read news outlets?
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 11:12:33 PM »

Am I the only one who is concerned that Merck has declined comment on a release date from both Entertainment Weekly and now Reuters both wide read news outlets?

I don't know that concerned is the word I'd use, but no. 

Frankly, however, it doesn't take Dick fuckin' Tracy to figure out why he would refuse to comment ... those of you still expecting a 2006 release would be well advised to prepare for a serious letdown.

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
dboyd13
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 11:38:32 PM »

I don't know that concerned is the word I'd use, but no.?

Frankly, however, it doesn't take Dick fuckin' Tracy to figure out why he would refuse to comment ... those of you still expecting a 2006 release would be well advised to prepare for a serious letdown.
I agree CD aint coming out this year but Merck could make a comment to the 2 media outlets in regards why it wont. They went to the effort to write and research their articles, Merck could say something. I feel that most fans would be cool with some news that an early 2007 release would happen. Axl and Merck have run their mouths to the media this year about the release in 2006. They should save face to the media and fans.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 11:40:55 PM »

Well I'm not a disappointed fan.   

Just for the record neither am I..............
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: