Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 04:02:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland Pumped For Velvet Revolver LP (MTV)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland Pumped For Velvet Revolver LP (MTV)  (Read 8242 times)
tomass74
Legend

« on: December 12, 2006, 08:17:28 AM »

Scott Weiland Pumped For Velvet Revolver LP, Solo Collabo With Pharrell

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1547746/20061211/index.jhtml#/news/articles/1547746/20061211/index.jhtml

Scott Weiland tries to avoid boredom at all costs.

In addition to being a dad and a husband (he's married to model Mary Forsberg), he fronts Velvet Revolver. He's working on his forthcoming autobiography with author David Ritz, and would like to pursue acting. The self-proclaimed "fashion whore" is mulling his own clothing line, and hopes to release his second solo LP late next year. On top of all that, Weiland has just launched his own record label, Softdrive, with his manager and production partner.

It's clear the man knows how to keep busy, and recently, he's been consumed with working on Velvet Revolver's Libertad ? the follow-up to 2004's Contraband ? an LP the former Stone Temple Pilots leader couldn't be more, well, psyched about.

"I haven't been this excited about a rock record since 1993, when I went into the studio to record [STP's] Purple," which was recorded in just 10 days, with producer Brendan O'Brien (Incubus, Rage Against the Machine) at the helm, Weiland explained. O'Brien is also behind Libertad, which Weiland called "a really inspired rock and roll album, but it's got many textures.

"It's multidimensional, which I think is one thing Brendan brings out in artists," Weiland continued. "I think he's brought out the best in this band, and, I mean, these guys" ? guitarists Dave Kushner and Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum ? "are amazing players, and they're capable of anything. They've reached completely new heights, and pulled something out of themselves. Instead of doing what's completely comfortable, what they've done before, they have gone to new places, emotionally, musically and spiritually."

Weiland said the new album, which should surface this spring, "is completely colorful in a new way, but it is definitely not a concept album." The singer said he scrapped initial plans to weave a connecting concept throughout the LP because "there's been a hurricane of concept albums that have come out this year, and I really didn't want to make the concept album that made the levee break." Velvet Revolver wrote more than 18 tracks for the disc, including "Pills, Demons, Etc.," "Just 16," "Get Out the Door," and "Queen for a Day," and started tracking December 4.

"It's an album like albums were meant to be," he said. "It's not a collection of singles, but it's not some drummed-up concept album that's contrived either."

VR first enlisted producer Rick Rubin (Jay-Z, Red Hot Chili Peppers), but ? for reasons Weiland wouldn't really get into ? opted to instead work with O'Brien. "Obviously, Rick makes things happen with people, and that chemistry creates a certain 'spiritual combustion' in some way," the singer said. "But with us, that didn't happen. I worked with Brendan on every STP record, and we needed somebody who was more in the trenches with us. When Brendan works with a band, he becomes the fifth or sixth bandmember. He gets in there with you, and he's in the thick of it. Every song that we were working on previously had a different feel, and songs that I was completely uninspired by, within a short period of time, became inspiring. Songs that I had no ideas for, I suddenly had a lot of ideas for, and took to completely different places than I think I would have taken them."

And Weiland said he's about two-thirds of the way done with his yet-untitled solo outing, his first since 1998's 12 Bar Blues. He said the disc will most likely be out next fall, "right around the time STP takes ... uh, STP ... Freudian slip ... Velvet Revolver takes its break. So that'll give me time to go do some roadwork, and do some shows, which I really didn't have a chance to do with my last album."

He's written more than a dozen tracks for the effort, including "The Man I Didn't Know," "Beautiful Day," "I Know It's Late," "She Sold Her System," "Big Black Monster," "Killing Me Sweetly" and "Happy," a cut originally slated for Libertad.

"That's the one I wrote with Pharrell Williams," he said. "I think [Williams] is incredibly talented, and what makes him great is he is completely colorblind, musically. Where his influences lie are from all different genres of music, and I think he takes you on a sonic journey, as far as his production goes. And, so, we kind of went and sort of searched him out, talked to him, and told him the ideas we had. This track we started working on with him pertained more to me, personally, than to the band, so it became one of the songs on my solo record."

Weiland's sophomore LP will be released by Softdrive, a label he'd been trying to develop for more than six years. He said he wanted to form a label "that would release various types of music, and focuses on the great music of all the genres." One of the label's first releases, the debut disc from the Actual, In Stitches, will be issued in 2007, and the label has also signed country artist Tommy Joe Wilson. Softdrive operates out of Weiland's recording studio.

"Obviously, we don't have a massive income stream to offer major dances, but we can make records here for next to nothing," he said. "We have everything in our recording studio that every major recording studio has."

Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 08:32:58 AM »

Shocked this stuff is getting me really excited about the new album, they've got some awesome song titles on there can't wait to hear them? beer
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 08:53:55 AM »

wow thanks tomass beer loooks like scott is on a role with his writing 18 VR songs and 12 solo tunes.....damn i'm so excited for 2007!!!

babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:35:35 AM »

great news piece.  looking very forward to hearing the new VR album.  peace
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 10:57:56 AM »

Thanks for the article!  beer  Now I'm just as excited as Scott is! Can't wait to hear the album!  drool

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 11:16:59 AM »

Dam!  Strong words here!  I am so excited!  Sounds like they are almost done recording!  I hope this album rocks and meets expectations!!
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 11:42:42 AM »

wow thats pretty crazy that he hasnt been as excited about a record since Purple!! that makes me think this albums gonna be awesome. I think Purple was STP's  best album.

he basically said Rick Rubin didnt have any chemistry with them and he wasnt getting any new ideas or anything for the songs, but with O'Brien everything changed. i loved O'Brien's production jobs on the STP records. this album is getting me really excited!!

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 12:17:16 PM »

at last song titles!!!! wooo

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 01:48:43 PM »

.. I worked with Brendan on every STP record, and we needed somebody who was more in the trenches with us. When Brendan works with a band, he becomes the fifth or sixth bandmember. He gets in there with you, and he's in the thick of it.

"In the trenches" hasn't been Rick's strongsuit for quite a while, he's definitely become more of the executive producer/mogul type over the years.  Not exactly a "hands on" figure by any means. 

Nice to hear the fellas have found someone they're excited with.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
T_Roxie
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 01:59:11 PM »

This sounds so good now, plus the song titles  drool i don't think ive been this excited for a record ever (no, not even CD)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 03:45:18 PM »

Lots of VR articles popping up lately   ok
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 03:57:12 PM »

Lots of VR articles popping up lately   ok

can only mean albums getting on its way Cheesy

html sucks
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 04:05:50 PM »

This sounds so good now, plus the song titles? drool i don't think ive been this excited for a record ever (no, not even CD)

Couldn't agree more, I'm really so excited about this album even more than I'm looking forward to CD
gnr420
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 04:14:03 PM »

good read, thanks for posting tomass! anyone have any guess on when we will see libertad? im guessing....late feb or early may
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 05:35:18 PM »

I'm liking the sounds of Libertad more and more. When Scott says things like it's "a really inspired rock and roll album" that gets me really exctited!

And I also like the fact that Scott has said that they're pushing themselves musically rather than playing the same old stuff. Should be a kickass album! beer

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 06:46:50 PM »

At this rate, VR's record will come out before the new GNR record.
Not to offend the sensitive people on these boards - I said - "at this rate" so I am only speculating.

Im still loving Contraband - the whole record is great and there are points where Axl really could belong with the music, but Scott Weiland is kick ass as well because he's also a fun crazy genius frontman.

The only thing VR needs to do is to put out the better songs as singles for the next record. Songs like "you Got No Right and "Suckertrain Blues" need to be on the radio, but comes next is anyone's guess.

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
GeraldFord
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 11:11:50 PM »

"Queen for a Day"

I wonder who that could be about...... hihi
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 09:11:48 AM »

Great news, I hope his comes out soon.  peace

Fuck 'Em All.
GeraldFord
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 01:32:47 PM »

I think this album is going to wind up being VR's best album. Their "Purple" or "Superunknown" if you will.
Wando
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 04:20:10 AM »

Awesome news :]

Btw, shouldn't this be posted on HTGTH's front page?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: