Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:31:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Barack Obama for President
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Barack Obama for President  (Read 13022 times)
GeraldFord
« on: December 11, 2006, 11:29:54 PM »

I'd love to see this man run. He's well-spoken, articulate and I agree with a lot of his positions. Plus, he's the first politician in a long time that inspires people. To me, he's not the "lesser of two evils" but someone that I actually would like to see as President. Come the primary in early '08, he gets my vote.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 11:37:37 PM »

I like what I see so far too.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 11:38:28 PM »

Theres similar threads here:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=38903.0

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=37829.0

Personally, I like him plenty and hes easily the most talented politician since Bill Clinton.  Hes inspirational on a John F. Kennedy level.  Hes a freshman senator as hell remind you, but he hasnt proven to be much of a leader in the Senate.  And I dont like his Democrat-criticizing centrist posturing.  To me, his experience level is a non-issue, and I think hell use the approach I think he should use to counter that criticism - fellow Illinoisan Abraham Lincoln had only had state legislative experience and one term as a representative before becoming president.  Im concerned about his ability to win, but nevertheless, hes a close-second to John Edwards for my choice.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:54:47 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Psychophobia
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 12:49:23 AM »

He's one of the few rising stars the Dems have to their name these days. I really like the guy. Sharp, well-spoken, intelligent man. But I don't think he's got the experience, not so much in terms of legislative experience or ideas - very little of that is required to be President, as Bush Jr and Reagan have proved - but in that Karl Rove & Co will be able to rip him to shreds in the slander wars, based on his lack of time in government, and the chance that he wouldn't have a thick enough skin on him to fight back. That, and I can't see a visible minority ever being elected president of the USA, not during my lifetime anyway. I'd love for Obama  to prove me wrong though! I say give him another few years...  '08 is going to be a rugged time to take over the presidency anyway, after the mess Bush has left behind...
sandman
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 08:34:58 AM »

is he anti-gay marriage?

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 09:06:25 AM »

is he anti-gay marriage?

no don't worry , you can get married ....

oh man ! that was funny !!! ? wasnt it ?

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 11:48:39 AM »

is he anti-gay marriage?

hes against the term "gay marriage", but is pro civil union/benefits if I'm not mistaken.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
guns_n_motley
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 02:11:04 PM »

hes not even been in the senate 1 term, what makes him qualified to be president of the United Sates??? a good orater is all that he is..
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 02:14:13 PM »

hes not even been in the senate 1 term, what makes him qualified to be president of the United Sates??? a good orater is all that he is..

Bill Clinton was never a senator, or a member of the house.

Hillary has only had one full term in the Senate.

Learn a little about the guy, and his policy and ideas, before you chalk him up to simply being a good public speaker...

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 02:23:11 PM »

The problem with Obama is that no one can say for sure his stance on alot of issues.  He's very vague most times (as are most politicians).  Clinton was the governor of Arkansas and had executive experience.  While Hilary herself was not, she had 8 years of living the executive process as well as 6 years of being a very public senator.  I don't think Obama will be able to handle the scrutiny that the Clintons and most Dems will put him under once the primaries get serious.  At this point I think Hillary is going to be the Dem's front runner and using Obama is a possibility as a VP.  Gore is a sleeper candidate if he runs, but I think he's alienated too much of the population to be a real contender.  Hillary has done a great job of moving to the center to try and remove the "liberal" stigma. 

In the end I think it's going to be Hillary with Obama and McCain with Guiliani (sp?).
T_Roxie
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »

If i were American, i would probably vote for him.  Mainly because i dislike just about everyone else who's in the running, and this guy looks pretty astute.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 02:32:16 PM »

Unless there's a big change in the GOP they won't get one vote from me.  I could see me voting for Clark or maybe Edwards, but I doubt it.  I'm just going to throw away my vote and go Libertarian the whole way through.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 02:37:48 PM »

The problem with Obama is that no one can say for sure his stance on alot of issues.

True, to an extent.  He's made some stump speeches, though, and there's a lot of meat to them.  In addition...the guy has about a year to make his case and get word of "the rest" of his stances out there.  Not knowing for sure what his stances are doesn't preclude his ability to govern...just his ability to get elected.

He's very vague most times (as are most politicians). 

Actually, I've found just the opposite.  I think he's much more open, and free speaking, than most politicians.  He hasn't had the opportunity to address his position on a good number of issues...but that will change quickly if/when he announces an intent to seek the party nom.  But I've never found him to be vague.

Clinton was the governor of Arkansas and had executive experience.  While Hilary herself was not, she had 8 years of living the executive process as well as 6 years of being a very public senator.

Granted.  But that's not what was said.  And one term in the senate is a pretty good litmus, all things considered...and it's been an active first term.   He does have experience in government and public service.  He has a legal background, and probably a better understanding of the constitution, and constitutional  law than our current president.  He also has a history, both in his State Senate and in the US Senate of working both sides of the aisle.

I don't think Obama will be able to handle the scrutiny that the Clintons and most Dems will put him under once the primaries get serious.

From all accounts, the guy has no skeletons.  That's what makes him such a good choice to be at the forefront of the party.  He's not a far left wing liberal, he's kept his nose clean, and there's not much, reportedly, for the Repubs to scrutinize.

At this point I think Hillary is going to be the Dem's front runner and using Obama is a possibility as a VP.  Gore is a sleeper candidate if he runs, but I think he's alienated too much of the population to be a real contender.  Hillary has done a great job of moving to the center to try and remove the "liberal" stigma. 

In the end I think it's going to be Hillary with Obama and McCain with Guiliani (sp?).

I think both those tickets would be the parties best.  I do agree that Obama could benefit from more seasoning (I'm not sure he NEEDS it, though), and a run as VP would set him up well for a future run at the Oval office.  And I think he might, if he lost in the primaries, accept a #2 position...especially considering his ideology and Hillary's aren't too far afield.  McCain and Guiliani, I think, is a longshot of a ticket.  I think it would be the best ticket the Repubs could field, and that may sway Rudy..but I suspect he has no desire to play 2nd fiddle to anyone...not at this point in his career.

Together again,
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 02:45:47 PM »

Alot of people are advocating a McCain and Rice ticket, but I think it would be suicide.? McCain has done a good job distancing himself from Bush but still being labled a Republican.? Quite a feat considering 4 years ago every Rightwinger was calling him a Rhino.? Cause Bush has fucked up so bad, he gave McCain the edge he needed and McCain played it perfectly by not attacking Bush.? As of now McCain is the only candidate the Republicans can offer that I'm interested in.? He was my second choice after Alan Keyes in the 2000 election.  Anyone who has shit to do with Bush is tainted goods.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 02:48:42 PM »

Alot of people are advocating a McCain and Rice ticket, but I think it would be suicide.  McCain has done a good job distancing himself from Bush but still being labled a Republican.  Quite a feat considering 4 years ago every Rightwinger was calling him a Rhino.  Cause Bush has fucked up so bad, he gave McCain the edge he needed and McCain played it perfectly by not attacking Bush.  As of now McCain is the only candidate the Republicans can offer that I'm interested in.  Anyone who has shit to do with Bush is tainted goods.

We definitely agree on that.  McCain vs Hillary would give me pause.  I'm not sure, at this point, who I'd vote for.   The sticking factor would probably be who McCain chose as his VP...and only because of his age.  McCain/Rudy would pretty much be the only repub ticket I can fathom that has a chance at garnering my vote...and a pretty good chance at that.  Though a Hillary/Obama ticket would be just as strong.  For the first time in quite awhile I think the US would be in a win/win situation instead of a lose/lose situation.

Together again,
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 03:14:03 PM »

I don't understand the popularity of this man, personally. I still know very little about him, and am not sure why he appeals to some people - but to each their own

I think the Democrats are scared of having to nominate Hillary, so they're starting the buzz about Obama

I believe McCain is going to be the next president of the United States and don't be surprised to see either Guiliani or even Lieberman get the VP nod, once the primaries are through and sorted out.

I hear Kerry is considering another run, which I think would be a disaster - That man should go away already
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 03:17:47 PM »

hes not going to be another war crazed man is he?

html sucks
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »

McCain has done a good job distancing himself from Bush but still being labled a Republican.

Huh

Yes, in 2000.  Hes been a staunch Bush ally for the past three years, except for one or two issues, and his media-peddled maverick status has suffered a bit.  Given how much the media loves the guy, thats quite a feat. 

Quite a feat considering 4 years ago every Rightwinger was calling him a Rhino.

The establishment may support him, but base conservatives still dont care for him. 

Cause Bush has fucked up so bad, he gave McCain the edge he needed and McCain played it perfectly by not attacking Bush

Cant argue this.  McCains my bet for the nomination, but hes certainly not a sure shot. 

He was my second choice after Alan Keyes in the 2000 election.

I recall you saying something about aligning with extremists...
guns_n_motley
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 04:17:53 PM »

Alot of people are advocating a McCain and Rice ticket, but I think it would be suicide.? McCain has done a good job distancing himself from Bush but still being labled a Republican.? Quite a feat considering 4 years ago every Rightwinger was calling him a Rhino.? Cause Bush has fucked up so bad, he gave McCain the edge he needed and McCain played it perfectly by not attacking Bush.? As of now McCain is the only candidate the Republicans can offer that I'm interested in.? He was my second choice after Alan Keyes in the 2000 election.? Anyone who has shit to do with Bush is tainted goods.

MOST republicans are trying to distance themselves from Bush... Bush brought down the Republican party with his "fuckups"

really, im not too fond of anyone on either side at this point..
sandman
Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 06:12:45 PM »

is he anti-gay marriage?

hes against the term "gay marriage", but is pro civil union/benefits if I'm not mistaken.

the "term"Huh

so the answer to my question is YES.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: