Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:20:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The release of CD: More about closure or enjoying the music?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The release of CD: More about closure or enjoying the music?  (Read 3708 times)
GeraldFord
« on: December 10, 2006, 06:57:10 PM »

I've wanted this album for so long, but at this point, it's almost more about closure than it is about hearing new music. I think about "Chinese Democracy" all day, evey-day, like it's always on the back of my mind. I feel very anxious about it; as though I were on death row and am waiting for the governor to call for a pardon. Or as though I were a detective covering an unsolved murder. Either way, it's this obsessive thing that's driving me nuts. I feel as though I can't move on with my life until this album is released. I need closure.
Geck
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 07:36:26 PM »

...wow, creepy.
mrbrownstone8797
Rocker

gnr>everything

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 07:37:43 PM »

You'll probably get bashed, but I think it's a good point. I constantly think about the album too. I want to hear the music, but when it comes out it will mean so much more. Guns are finally back. They can proceed with releasing more albums without dealing with the same pressure, and "backlash" of being a "different" band. And more importantly, hopefully the band members can move on with their lives.

As Axl said in 1990 he wanted to bury Appetite with UYI. I think he'll feel the same way about CD when it's finally released.

It's just such a huge event in so many more ways then just new material.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 07:40:03 PM by mrbrownstone8797 » Logged
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 08:22:33 PM »

I agree. I really want to hear it, but i have heard songs which are probably on the album that im gonna find it hard to like. but the ones i do like give me a lot of hope. and they also happen to be Axl's favorites, which means there may be more like those on CD.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
Risico
Rocker

You will lose everything...

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 08:47:07 PM »

Definitely both. Mainly enjoyment of the music for me, but in a distant second, I want to see closure to the GNR saga.

When all is said n' done, we're not the only ones...
Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 09:26:33 PM »

As I've known since 1987,  Axl's a very talented dude. beer smoking

I've been waiting for this album for so long now that it's not even funny anymore. Cry crying Cry

I just know that when Axl finally releases this thing, it's going to be the best thing invented since Texas Toast. yes
Chief
Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 09:28:04 PM »

The way I see it, Chinese Democracy is just the beginning of many good things to come....

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
SkiX
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 09:29:38 PM »

The "closure" of the old gnr era was the greatest hits, Chinese Democracy is the start of the new gnr
GeraldFord
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 09:34:25 PM »

The way I see it, Chinese Democracy is just the beginning of many good things to come....

I'm starting to lose faith that it will ever come out. "13 Tuesdays" my arse.
estranged.1098
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 09:41:20 PM »

The "closure" of the old gnr era was the greatest hits, Chinese Democracy is the start of the new gnr

He's not talking about the old GNR. Closure means that we will stop doing something we've been doing for the past 9 years at least.
mrbrownstone8797
Rocker

gnr>everything

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 09:50:19 PM »

I think the start of new GN'R is closure of the old GN'R. Until CD is out, old GN'R is not completely done in my mind anyways. We need a new official release from the new band before the old one is done.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 10:03:30 PM »

I think the start of new GN'R is closure of the old GN'R. Until CD is out, old GN'R is not completely done in my mind anyways. We need a new official release from the new band before the old one is done.
it feels like a very long beginning for the new band. The old band was history when Contraband came out.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 10:12:21 PM »

i definitley feel what the original poster feels. i mean i've moved on in life but CD is very much in my mind everyday. i'm here checking shit out and hoping jarmo's got some cd news on the main page. closure for sure, i don't know what is going to happen after it comes out. i'd like to have a time machine and fast forward 20 yrs to check out what's going on peace

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 10:19:50 PM »

It's a little frightening that you think about it all the time.  I'm really looking forward to it...to listen to the music.  I like what I've heard so far, and am eager to hear more.  And I also like the prospect that they've worked on 30-some songs, so that hopefully the long wait for CD won't be followed up by a similar one for whatever comes next.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 10:29:59 PM »

for me personally and i don't mean to sabotage the thread but the music is alot of it, i believe in axl rose and his intentions. at times i'm seriously pissed off but i'm so not into this decade of music and noticed how i have come back into the gnr drama. after 93' i went back and discovered the great 60's and 70's rock and when korn hit the scene i admit i liked all that stuff and manson and so forth. but there was about a 6-7 year gap when gnr were dormant and i didn't think about them much and what they were doing currently cause i had other bands i was into.  now there is nothing for me and i want this damn album so bad, axl's not ready yet so i do feel a little selfish, anyway that's all i have to say about that nervous hihi beer

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 10:30:05 PM »

Both, obviously.

The release of Chinese Democracy involves so many things.

The end of the longest recording process in history. The response of the general public. Will they like it? Will critics like it? Will there be hit singles? How will Axl and his new band be percieved? Will we finally know some of the events that has transpired all these years? Will Axl change as an effect of his work finally being exposed? Will the attitude of the band towards giving interviews and such alter?

All of those are factors I contemplate in regards to CD being released. But naturally, the music and finally hearing it will be the quintessential thing. How good is the album, really? Has it been worth it? Are there songs that put old GN'R to shame? Is this the best album ever made? Am I satisfied?

After all, the music is why we're here to begin with. That matters most, but other thing comes into effect to, though more minor.

I must say the thing I look forward to the most is that special moment when I come home from the record store with Guns N' Fuckin' Roses - Chinese Democracy in my hands. Open the container, putting the disc in the cd player, walking away, dim the lights, enter my stressless, study the cover, scrutinizing the tracklist, light up a cigarette, push play and enter the moment I've dreamed about for so many many years.

That is what I call special.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
flicknn
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 10:32:30 PM »

the album is a myth , it doesnt exist
muffinass
Headliner

I'm a muffin!

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 10:33:22 PM »

? ?excellent post...i've been wondering the same thing myself the same thing for the past couple of days...

? ?the songs we have know (the majority) are probably going to be on the album, which leaves us with a familiar, but polished CD...the musical curiosity IS there, but by this point it's a bit odd to express what I think CD will bring.

? ?the main thing, musical satisfaction coming in second, IS the closure of seeing the new GNR come to full fruition on the global musical scale (properly that is, with an album, etc). and of course, there's the thought that this would steamroll a new beginning for the band to become mroe than a showcase for the album.

? ?but by this point a decade has passed, and unless things are going to change with the release (i.e. GNR acting like a band, interviews, none of this 'i'm under contract, i have no idea about this, that') I'm not expecting major developments.

? ?i'm as much in the dark about the future as all of us here...but as for CD, for me it's more about seeing come to completion and getting GNR out there in the spotlight again. releasing this album and having it be received as an equal to UYI or releasing it to minor fanfare and continuing with record releases is the same thing for me.
 ? ?it's the legacy that for me is by this point important...and the new music props it up so far...

Nov.15th, Air Canada Center !!!
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 11:12:40 PM »

This is absolutely a damn good topic.....and yes for me it is about closure.  Ever since 2002, I've just wanted this thing to come out.  I don't worry about enjoying the music, because I know I will absolutely love it.  From what we've heard I'm impressed.....and I have so much faith in Axl that what he's going to release is going to be truly amazing.  But as for it being the past few years, just closure as a fan.  If we get the album and nothing ever happens again, at least we'll have somewhat of a final chapter. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 11:23:53 PM »

i hope this has been addressed before and i also hope i'm just misreading the original post, but please don't put so much faith and belief in an album that your very happiness depends on it and your whole day is consumed by it.  again we're talking about a record not a religion or even philosophical view.

trust me this album will be awesome, but remember to breath.

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: