Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:24:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Alanis Morrissette :greatest female artist of our generation?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alanis Morrissette :greatest female artist of our generation?  (Read 15550 times)
deadflowerII
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 04:16:03 AM »

fiona apple is a great talent!!!
Hysteron
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2006, 01:06:49 PM »

Bjork the only one whose music sounds really different/original, I can recognize the talent of the others, but Bjork is the only one I could listen to willingly.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2006, 05:08:40 PM »

fiona apple is a great talent!!!

I dig Fiona Apple.  I also like Shirley Manson from Garbage.  Both great talents in my book.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2006, 08:13:41 PM »

Pretty good Tippasaurus

To me she sounds kind of like a Fiona Apple Clone

I think to be best of a generation, no offense but people have had to hear of u.

Axl? Where do u see that?

I'll be interested to see how Fiona does if she decides to make an album without Jon Brion.  He's basically been compared to Brian Wilson (of the Beach Boys) in terms of musical genius.  Right now I consider Fiona Apple's success to be partly attributed to Brion as much as anyone...not to take anything away from her. 

To stay on topic: it's hard to gauge McKay from one video, you'd have to check out her two albums "Get Away from Me" and "Pretty Little Head" to really be able to claim her as a Fiona "clone."  She's a little more versatile than Fiona, as she dabbles in jazz, rap, cabaret, rock, classical, and a little bit of everything else (spanish guitars and reggae choruses have popped up in a few of her songs).  ...I think at the moment she's been performing in a musical in New York.       

The Axl comparison was in reference to her uncompromising vision of her music.  Her label dropped her because she wouldn't cut a few tracks (she insists on releasing double albums) off of her album "Pretty Little Head."  Basically she has a reputation of being stubborn, a control-freak, and a hot head.  Sound familiar?

And "best" is arbitrary.  If you go by record sales and longetivity, you'd have to go with Madonna...but most people here wouldn't say she has the most talent or is the greatest "artist" of our generation based on ability. 

I've been enjoying McKay a lot lately, so I mentioned her, but it's too tough to say who is the "best."  Because one needs to outline what truely makes them worthy of being called the "best" or "greatest."     

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2006, 08:04:39 AM »

Madonna is the greatest female POP Star. I dont know about artist. Her lyrics arent very deep and she is more of an entertainer than an artist in my opinion.

Thing about Alanis, she has the artistic and Commercial success that not many can match.

I agree with Sheryl Crow being up there also, She has a song called "The Difficult Kind" I think is the title and it is one of the most amazing songs I have ever heard.

Well, as far as the music industry goes, they are all performing artists/recording artists.

Again, I can see people not liking her music and it not being their "thing".

But you can't argue with numbers.  Asthetics, "lyric deepness", etc are all subjective.  The milestones by which Madonna is measured are not...

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2007, 07:54:52 PM »

i just caught the video for "Head over Feet" on TV. WOW. i am definitely getting into her she rocks. i'm gonna get Jagged Little Pill at some point soon!!

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2007, 02:06:09 PM »

i got Jagged Little Pill, its great. my favorite songs are:

All I Really Want
Hand in My Pocket
You Learn
Head Over Feet
Ironic

i really like Alanis, she comes off as really sincere and down to earth and its clear she loves what shes doing. i also love that she was in Dogma. bow down to god!!

sisterofyu
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2007, 02:46:47 PM »

I love ALanis ....keekee...I love her anger  Cheesy
GeraldFord
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2007, 06:07:49 AM »

She's a mediocre talent. Can't sing and not a very good songwriter, as Glen Ballard wrote all her hits. She's a bit of a fraud too, as she jumped on the alt. bandwagon in the mid-90s for her Fem-lite tripe. Before that she was into dance-pop and dating uncle Joey from Full House. Still, JLP is a good album, I'll give you that.

Tori Amos is like, 100000000000000000000000000 times better.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 06:09:45 AM by GeraldFord » Logged
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2007, 09:48:36 PM »

Avril Lavigne

I can't think of anyone better right now so I guess you're right.? Alanis Morrissette is indeed very talented. yes

Christina Aguilera has a much better voice, live performance, etc. than Alanis and so does Sarah mcLaughlin

but from what i've heard after Alanis, she is definitly not the best
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2007, 09:54:47 PM »

Avril Lavigne

I can't think of anyone better right now so I guess you're right.? Alanis Morrissette is indeed very talented. yes

Christina Aguilera has a much better voice, live performance, etc. than Alanis and so does Sarah mcLaughlin

yeah but Alanis Morisette's lyrics are much stronger in my opinion. i do like Christina Aguilera's voice. But i think overall Alanis is better.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2007, 01:09:18 AM »

than Alanis and so does Sarah mcLaughlin

I prefer Sarah Mclaughlin & Ani Difranco to Alanis...

I'd also prefer to listen to Gwen Stefani or Emily Haines, but I don't know if I would rank them as better artists because they have a band backing them and can't receive all the credit.  Gwen is also not great live from what I've seen, but I haven't seen Alanis live before to compare.

The lyrics to "Alanis Morissette" by Wesley Willis:

You are a rockin? maniac.
You are a singin? hyena.
You are a rock star in Jesus? name.
You can really rock Sadam Hussein?s ass.
You are so lovable to me in the long run.
ALANIS MORISSETTE!
ALANIS MORISSETTE!
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2007, 09:16:29 AM »

Alanis the greatest female artist I think NOT. Tori Amos blows her away hell Jewel is a way better artist than Alanis. My favorite would have to Christina Aguilerra she has a way better voice and can sing many different styles plus she is hotter than the butch Alanis.

Someone mentioned that she was on You can't do that on TV so was the lead singer of an amazing band called BAD FOR GOOD.

"IT'S ONE LOUDER ISN'T IT?"

"It's like a Sherlock Holmes story-a lot of fog and pipes."
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »

Ani Difranco

good to see someone else mention ani in this thread. she's amazing. especially considering she's running her own label, so doesn't have the kind of promotional power alot of other artists have.

she's made consistantly good music since the early 90's and has changed her sound quite alot as well.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2007, 02:36:55 PM »

Alanis the greatest female artist I think NOT. Tori Amos blows her away hell Jewel is a way better artist than Alanis. My favorite would have to Christina Aguilerra she has a way better voice and can sing many different styles plus she is hotter than the butch Alanis.

Someone mentioned that she was on You can't do that on TV so was the lead singer of an amazing band called BAD FOR GOOD.

Good to see u like Mickey  mousketeer pop singers over true artists.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2007, 03:14:25 PM »

Good to see u like Mickey? mousketeer pop singers over true artists.

haha good call D. i needed someone more articulate than me to state the obvious!! sure Christina Aguilera has a nice voice but theres no comparasion to Alanis, who i agree really is a true artist. i also quite like Alanis's voice, its not stunning but it does have some nice aspects to it, i enjoy it greatly.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2007, 03:50:51 PM »

What? Fiona Apple is a way better singer and songwriter. I liked Alanis on JLP, but the rest of her work is average, IMO.

Also, check Carina Round. She's a really awesome singer and has a lot of cool songs:
How I See It: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9V8MCdDB7A
Coming To You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMoxyxqCyRI
Lacuna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur8M8gHqP5A

I'll be interested to see how Fiona does if she decides to make an album without Jon Brion.  He's basically been compared to Brian Wilson (of the Beach Boys) in terms of musical genius.  Right now I consider Fiona Apple's success to be partly attributed to Brion as much as anyone...not to take anything away from her.   
Her last album, Extraordinary Machine, only had Jon Brion in 2 songs - the title-track and Waltz (Better than fine) - and the rest was produced by Mike Elizondo (altough the first version of the album - wich leaked on internet a couple of years ago - was all produced by Brion). Also, all the words & music of all albums were written by Fiona herself. BTW, her first album, Tidal, wasn't produced by Brion as far as I know.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 04:03:10 PM by Voodoochild » Logged

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2007, 04:43:18 PM »

Not to mention that Aguilera was nothing but a 2nd rate Britney Clone when she came out.

Her best Song "Beautiful" was written entirely by Linda Perry

AT least Alanis wrote her lyrics and vocal melodies and later wrote it and produced it all herself.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2007, 07:12:31 PM »

Comparing Christina to Alanis doesn't make much sense at all.  I can see a Christina and Brittany comparison because they are both singers and dancers BUT NOT songwriters.  Christina can sing, I'll give you that much.  But as an overall artist she ain't fucking shit compared to Alanis, Fiona, Tori, Jewel, etc.  Hell, that's like saying Justin Timberlake is a better artist than Bob Dylan because he has more of a vocal range. It's stupid and doesn't make sense.

Anyway, outside of some of the females that have been mentioned in this thread, I have been listening to a little bit of Liz Phair lately. I'm starting to like her a lot and she reminds me a little of Tori because of her "edge" and "not giving a fuck" attitude. I don't really know too much about her and I only have one live show that I downloaded off of DIME a few weeks ago, but it's not bad at all. Anyone else listen to Liz Phair or know anything about her??

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2007, 08:42:17 AM »

Avril Lavigne

yeah but Alanis Morisette's lyrics are much stronger in my opinion. i do like Christina Aguilera's voice. But i think overall Alanis is better.

Can't agree with you there; listen to all of stripped and back to basics; not just the radio songs Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: