Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 01:12:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Velvet Revolver Rediscovers Inspiration On New Album
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Velvet Revolver Rediscovers Inspiration On New Album  (Read 5012 times)
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« on: December 02, 2006, 03:09:44 AM »

Velvet Revolver Rediscovers Inspiration On New Album

December 01, 2006, 4:50 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Hard rock combo Velvet Revolver is eyeing a mid- to late-spring release for its second RCA album. The group is recording in Los Angeles with producer Brendan O'Brien, who stepped in for the band's original choice, Rick Rubin, after that arrangement "did not work out," frontman Scott Weiland tells Billboard.com.

"All of our hopes have even been elevated over the past three weeks," he says. "We were really excited about six months ago, when we first began writing. Then we really kind of flat-lined for a while. We didn't know which way we were going. There was a definite loss of inspiration for a bit there. It has a lot to do with chemistry. Once Brendan came on board, I guess it was kind of like a shot in the arm. It was a new energy."

"We thought we'd just kind of give it a shot and see if Brendan was available, and just by chance, the artist he was supposed to be working with didn't pan out," Weiland offers. "So he was available during the exact time we really needed him. He flew out within a week and it has been amazing. [Bassist] Duff [McKagan] came up to me and said, 'You know, I didn't know what it was like to really have a producer before.'"

And though Weiland told Billboard.com last year he intended to weave an overall concept throughout the album, he has since "thrown that idea out the window. In my opinion, there are so many schlock concept albums that have come out in the past year," he says, without naming names. "The ground is way too over-fertile with concept records. I prefer to write a lean and rather vicious rock'n'roll record. I think that would be a better contribution to rock'n'roll at this moment."

Weiland has also been working on the follow-up to his 199X solo album, "12 Bar Blues," which will be released in late 2007 or early 2008 on his newly launched label, Softdrive Records. The imprint, which is also home to rock act the Actual and country singer/songwriter Tommy Joe Wilson, will go through Sony's RED Distribution, with additional back-end support provided by New West Records.

Weiland's album, which is about three-quarters finished, will include a collaboration with the Neptunes' Pharrell Williams on the song "Happy." The artist is also hoping to do a song with producer Daniel Lanois. "He told me, 'I don't know if I could dive into an entire album right now. But if you write that special song, I'd love to hear that song. I think I could probably wrap my head around that,'" Weiland says.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003467564

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 03:49:50 AM »

There was a definite loss of inspiration for a bit there. It has a lot to do with chemistry

I wonder what Scott means by this? A lack of chemistry within the band perhaps?

It also explains why things have been delayed too, for everyone that was wondering why it was taking so long.

I prefer to write a lean and rather vicious rock'n'roll record. I think that would be a better contribution to rock'n'roll at this moment

I like the sounds of this though! beer
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 03:57:28 AM by metallex78 » Logged

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 04:14:04 AM »

I think he meant lack of chemistry with Rick Rubin.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 07:11:08 AM »

I think he meant lack of chemistry with Rick Rubin.

well they didnt really get to work with him did they lol!!!

html sucks
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 09:58:44 AM »

I think they did the right thing-if you are not feeling a chemistry with a producer, it's time to move on-this sounds like good news-they just want to make a rock record-these comments sound encouraging for VR, and I'm glad it seems Scott is taking them as first priority, it seems, over the solo album

libertad
gnr420
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 03:20:01 PM »

sounds awesome, expeccially the lean vicious record part. i have a feeling we will be seeing this album before chinese democracy
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 03:29:14 PM »

i never understand whata  concept album is, can someone explain it and give a few examples of concept albums that would be great
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »

It's more of an album that tells a story-Green Day's American Idiot was a more recent example-the songs kind of tie in together-there are more examples, and maybe someone can explain it better than me. Not sure if Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell is an example? The Who's Tommy is an example of another one

libertad
evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 01:44:41 AM »

"In my opinion, there are so many schlock concept albums that have come out in the past year," he says, without naming names. "The ground is way too over-fertile with concept records."

Yeah I immediately thought he was talking about "American Idiot" here.  Don't know why he would diss the album - its one of those albums that will stand up 10 years down the line.

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
BillBailey
Headliner

greatest piece of album art ever UYI

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 01:29:57 PM »

Yeah I immediately thought he was talking about "American Idiot" here.? Don't know why he would diss the album - its one of those albums that will stand up 10 years down the line.

I am sorry but Green Day is a very annoying and SUPER overated band. If you listen to their work from ten years ago it has not stood the test of time. It just sounds like mid 90's rock radio filler. I believe in ten years American Idiot will sound like mid OO's rock radio shit. They are just 1 tiny notch above other worthless bands like nickelback and a perfect circle.

There's a lot goin on here.....
T_Roxie
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 03:08:08 PM »

I dont think he was talking about Green Day, that came out before they were talking about a concept record.  I suspect it may refer to mcr's black parade?
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 06:43:35 PM »

I dont think he was talking about Green Day, that came out before they were talking about a concept record.? I suspect it may refer to mcr's black parade?

Who knows i really dont listen to much modern music anymore, sadly, guess ill have to start to enjoy more computer influenced stuff from now on.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 07:51:04 PM »

Brendan O'Brien in place of Rick Rubin ?
and you think it's a good choice for a "vicious" rock n'roll album ?

well...but i can understand Rubin prefers to concentrate his efforts on the Metallica LP.  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
nooz
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 10:33:59 PM »

Brendan O'Brien in place of Rick Rubin ?
and you think it's a good choice for a "vicious" rock n'roll album ?

well...but i can understand Rubin prefers to concentrate his efforts on the Metallica LP.? hihi

Yeah Rage Against the Machine doesn't know how to rock dude...WTF.

I think the truth is Metallica needs Rubin more than VR does. I might actually listen to that.

This is a great time to be writing, far more favorable than earlier in the year.

I got the concepts of Rage without it being a concept record. No sense throwing out the baby with the bath water, I am sure it will still tie together.

Brendan O?Brien, straddles the middle of the influences that are brought to bare in this band. I can?t wait to hear it. 

Great choice. hurry up....
nooz
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 10:37:43 PM »

Yeah I immediately thought he was talking about "American Idiot" here.? Don't know why he would diss the album - its one of those albums that will stand up 10 years down the line.

I am sorry but Green Day is a very annoying and SUPER overated band. If you listen to their work from ten years ago it has not stood the test of time. It just sounds like mid 90's rock radio filler. I believe in ten years American Idiot will sound like mid OO's rock radio shit. They are just 1 tiny notch above other worthless bands like nickelback and a perfect circle.

Not me I love it!  Gotta love a band that gets better with time. Of course I like the humor of their old stuff too wasn't brain surgery but was quite amusing,..

Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 05:17:16 AM »

Great to hear VR is back.. ok

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
luciano
Banned
Rocker

Axl-Izzy-Slash-Duff-Steven!

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 10:15:17 AM »

This is pretty sad:

"I think that would be a better contribution to rock'n'roll at this moment"

You don't write/record/perform an rock album to do "a contribution to rock'n'roll". You do it because you fuckin' love it. Because it rocks.

It seems that Scott thinks that he is some sort of Rock God that is above us humans. And he is so nice and kind that he is gonna give us "a contribution to rock'n'roll".

Now that is pretty sad, sad, sad...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 10:19:35 AM by luciano » Logged
T_Roxie
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 01:57:28 PM »

Or he just means that not enough people are rocking out? ok
nooz
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 06:37:39 PM »

This is pretty sad:

"I think that would be a better contribution to rock'n'roll at this moment"

You don't write/record/perform an rock album to do "a contribution to rock'n'roll". You do it because you fuckin' love it. Because it rocks.

It seems that Scott thinks that he is some sort of Rock God that is above us humans. And he is so nice and kind that he is gonna give us "a contribution to rock'n'roll".

Now that is pretty sad, sad, sad...

Wow that condescending tongue of yours it seems you would be first in line for a vicious rock n roll album.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 03:04:03 AM »

Or he just means that not enough people are rocking out? ok

Exactly!

luciano, you're taking what Scott said the completely wrong way.

And just the thought of a vicious rock n' roll album from a band featuring Slash, Duff & Matt is fan-fucking-tastic news to my ears... beer

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: