Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 04:12:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chicago show
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chicago show  (Read 22791 times)
BeefyD
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2006, 11:32:47 PM »

First off, yes, most bands that have a huge stage show play a mostly scripted set.  I have no problem with that. They have their few song selections where substitutions can be made, but that's part of the big show.

One other part that I didn't write earlier... When we were buying a couple of drinks before Suicide Girls, I mentioned to the beer lady that its going to be a long night.  She reached under the money tray and pulled out their (Aramark) itinerary for the night.  It specifically stated GNR 11:10p.m. - 1:30am.  Then she mentioned that she would be watching most of the show since beer sales were going to be cut off before GnR would even start.

Therefore, its not that they go onstage 'late', that's just their scheduled time. (For whatever thats worth... work still kicked my ass today).

For future shows, talk to the beer concession people. They usually know what's going on. Grin
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2006, 11:38:14 PM »

Keep in mind that there's a difference between selling a ticket and getting people through the gates.  I'm sure the scalpers probably had some tix they couldn't get rid of, and those empty seats don't buy beers (which helps the venue) or shirts (which helps the band).  But, I'd still estimate the attendance at 4 out of 5 seats filled.  Probably 9/10 in the lower level.  Hard to tell with the floor, since I have no idea how many are allowed.  It seemed as though security didn't want people going behind the sound mixer at all, so I'm sure they don't try to completely fill the floor.

Either way, let those bitch who wish to.  I had one fuckin' great time, and I know that I won't ever let a nearby GNR show go unattended again. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2006, 11:40:45 PM »

Therefore, its not that they go onstage 'late', that's just their scheduled time.

I agree completely.  Actually, the down time between Baz and GNR was not as bad as I expected.  I read some preview on chicagoist.com (I think) that said they come on two hours after the last opening act, which is bullshit.  I went out, looked at the t-shirts, bought one, sat for 15 more minutes, and heard the sweet strum of Welcome to the Jungle. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2006, 04:17:51 AM »

Pretty sure it was just strobe lighting on LALD. 

The added pyro for LALD in '92, I saw them on the GNR/Metallica tour and there were quite a few very loud explosions during the song, you can hear them on the bootlegs usually.
savedsol
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2006, 11:12:51 AM »

I went out, looked at the t-shirts, bought one

I was with you until the "bought one". I'm sorry but $45 for a T-Shirt is retarded. At the Hammerstein they were only $20-25. I also found three shirts in the street after the Hammerstein concert! So for me they were $6 each!
Annie
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2006, 11:20:43 AM »

They don't use pyro in every song.

Same with the video footage.

They had lights and some pyro in the 90s too.

1-3 songs?

Rocket Queen, Used To Love Her, You're Crazy, Down On The Farm, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy and IRS are all optional songs they play.

/jarmo

I am so happy that MADAGASCAR was included! And that show did not feel scripted at all. Now Madonna is so precise that it is cold. The TV concert was the exact same show as the one I saw In Chicago. And from where i was sitting at the Barbara Streisand concert I could see the teleprompter and her interaction with the crowd was scripted just like a screenplay.
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »

Ok. Couple things man... first off, I have plenty of stage and theatrical experience and let me tell you that in order to put on a tight - almost 2 1/2 hour show - you have to script - if you don't, so much can happen that is out of your control - plus, give the man a break, he was sick - I have had strep a bunch and with having to use my voice for a living, it is some serious shit - it can turn into pneumonia, rheumatic fever (happened to my hubbie), and sometimes make any nodules you might have on your vocal cords already from misuse - worse! Strep can wipe you out and he still put as much energy and heart into the show as if he was well! I would have scripted too feeling like shit. But, scripted is ok. It's just having a better handle on things and yes, while it is great to just play whatever, I think Axl really cares about the quality and showmenship and if he knows they don't have other numbers down tight, he might just be more comfortable with a scripted - remember everyone grows up! He wants everyone to have the best possible experience.
IMO, I don't mind it and I'm sure I'll go to another show sometime in the future when this band has had many more dates and rehearsals under their belt and I'll get my unscripted. Plus, how do you know that some of that unscripted shit back in 2002 didn't cause some of the problems between band members? I've done unscripted, improv and if you don't know how the other person is going to perform, you expect something in your mind but so does the other person and they don't always deliver what you expect - meaning - let's say he said well fuck it, let's do Civil War, and they haven't rehearsed this number regularly so one of the guitar players play in a different key than expected and maybe some notes get added or someone decides to play the song a certain way and you sing it anyway but you're not quite happy cause there are things that should have been adjusted. It's somewhat about having control but it's also insuring you don't get pissed while performing - why did you do that? - and insuring the crowd hears an awesome tight set. This isn't the improv!

Also, fuck the people that called the loop to say the show was lame. They are lame. I will tell you since I am now over 30 and attending shows for bands that have been around for a long time - most of the audiences attending these shows are lame - I saw the Rolling Stones for christ sake and I was the only one dancing and singing in my row while most people just looked on - and the worst pisser of all - I went to see Van Morrison - who is one of my all time favorites - I had great seats - I was standing, singing and dancing as usual - and the fucks in back of me where yelling to sit down and stop dancing! WTF! I actually moved to a shitty seat so I could sing and dance and not bother the fucking lame asses that attend these shows with no enthusiasm - that is the audience when people get over 30 - don't know what happens but people come to a show to sit and clap politely - they are not into showing fan appreciation and they expect the artist to win them over! Plus, I think the people that attend these shows that act like that are morons - your at a rock concert for fuck's sake - go to a retirement home or see Tony Bennet if you want to sit and clap politely. We had people around us at Guns that were like that too - I was waiting for one person to open their mouth about my singing and dancing and I would have told them to get their ass in a retirement home then! Stay home if all you can do is complain!

We had great seats for GNR and from what I saw, there were still a lot of people at the end and no it wasn't sold out but it was full up to the last level. I would say probably 90% full for the show. And some people were leaving early, but I'm sure that happened at all shows - you got be prepared to roll to hang with the best!!!!!! Let me tell you that my damn babysitter who watches my kids during the day and is only 22 years old could not make it to my house on time the next day because she was tired!! She babysat my kids for the show. We got home at 3 AM and I got up at 7 AM to get my girl to school and get ready for work - she didn't get to my house until 10:30 when she should have been there at 8:30 - WTF is up with that? I'm more than a decade old, I can drink and party the night before, come home at 3 and still make it to work.

Everyone complains that everything sucks on the Loop. People just love to complain and hate. I'd like to see their asses get up on stage, sick with strep and put on a 2 1/2 hour show! I'm younger than Axl and I couldn't run the stage like that - so shut your pie holes!

And that branding bullshit is from Greg Kott I think in the Tribune - part of his review because GNR has not put out anything new and still touring - he likens them to all these bands out touring now with nothing new but nostalgia - when you don't know the whole story, you shouldn't form an opinion. While we really don't know what's going to happen, I wouldn't judge until after this tour.

And don't be embarassed to be GNR fans man! You should be proud. I've heard some crap - nobody makes it without their fans man - there are so many people that have come and gone - regardless of the status of the new music - GNR stuff is classic, nobody will ever touch much of their music or come along and make something similar - just like the Stones keep touring and making cash with classic - stuff after a certain period is just shit IMO - but I pay to see them to hear the classics mostly and so what? Jagger can be an asshole, the whole group can and they have had feuds along the way but no one makes fun of people going to see them and some of their classics IMO, after they have reworked or done whatever and Mick Jagger is like 60 or nearing it, and his voice is not same, are not so great anymore at a live show but do people complain? No cause it's the Stones and they could throw shit at their audience of preppy, canned lame asses and they would not care.

Everyone just wants to everyone to be over the top and outrageous most of the time with all the crazy reality shows out there and media overload and I say fuck that - GNR has matured, just like the rest of us and it doesn't diminish the music in any way. Ok. I've had my rant. Now if I could just light a fire under the lame asses that attend shows who come to sit and clap...

Puking doesn't make me horny.
Annie
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2006, 11:34:31 AM »

Ok. Couple things man... first off, I have plenty of stage and theatrical experience and let me tell you that in order to put on a tight - almost 2 1/2 hour show - you have to script - if you don't, so much can happen that is out of your control - plus, give the man a break, he was sick - I have had strep a bunch and with having to use my voice for a living, it is some serious shit - it can turn into pneumonia, rheumatic fever (happened to my hubbie), and sometimes make any nodules you might have on your vocal cords already from misuse - worse! Strep can wipe you out and he still put as much energy and heart into the show as if he was well! I would have scripted too feeling like shit. But, scripted is ok. It's just having a better handle on things and yes, while it is great to just play whatever, I think Axl really cares about the quality and showmenship and if he knows they don't have other numbers down tight, he might just be more comfortable with a scripted - remember everyone grows up! He wants everyone to have the best possible experience.
IMO, I don't mind it and I'm sure I'll go to another show sometime in the future when this band has had many more dates and rehearsals under their belt and I'll get my unscripted. Plus, how do you know that some of that unscripted shit back in 2002 didn't cause some of the problems between band members? I've done unscripted, improv and if you don't know how the other person is going to perform, you expect something in your mind but so does the other person and they don't always deliver what you expect - meaning - let's say he said well fuck it, let's do Civil War, and they haven't rehearsed this number regularly so one of the guitar players play in a different key than expected and maybe some notes get added or someone decides to play the song a certain way and you sing it anyway but you're not quite happy cause there are things that should have been adjusted. It's somewhat about having control but it's also insuring you don't get pissed while performing - why did you do that? - and insuring the crowd hears an awesome tight set. This isn't the improv!

Also, fuck the people that called the loop to say the show was lame. They are lame. I will tell you since I am now over 30 and attending shows for bands that have been around for a long time - most of the audiences attending these shows are lame - I saw the Rolling Stones for christ sake and I was the only one dancing and singing in my row while most people just looked on - and the worst pisser of all - I went to see Van Morrison - who is one of my all time favorites - I had great seats - I was standing, singing and dancing as usual - and the fucks in back of me where yelling to sit down and stop dancing! WTF! I actually moved to a shitty seat so I could sing and dance and not bother the fucking lame asses that attend these shows with no enthusiasm - that is the audience when people get over 30 - don't know what happens but people come to a show to sit and clap politely - they are not into showing fan appreciation and they expect the artist to win them over! Plus, I think the people that attend these shows that act like that are morons - your at a rock concert for fuck's sake - go to a retirement home or see Tony Bennet if you want to sit and clap politely. We had people around us at Guns that were like that too - I was waiting for one person to open their mouth about my singing and dancing and I would have told them to get their ass in a retirement home then! Stay home if all you can do is complain!

We had great seats for GNR and from what I saw, there were still a lot of people at the end and no it wasn't sold out but it was full up to the last level. I would say probably 90% full for the show. And some people were leaving early, but I'm sure that happened at all shows - you got be prepared to roll to hang with the best!!!!!! Let me tell you that my damn babysitter who watches my kids during the day and is only 22 years old could not make it to my house on time the next day because she was tired!! She babysat my kids for the show. We got home at 3 AM and I got up at 7 AM to get my girl to school and get ready for work - she didn't get to my house until 10:30 when she should have been there at 8:30 - WTF is up with that? I'm more than a decade old, I can drink and party the night before, come home at 3 and still make it to work.

Everyone complains that everything sucks on the Loop. People just love to complain and hate. I'd like to see their asses get up on stage, sick with strep and put on a 2 1/2 hour show! I'm younger than Axl and I couldn't run the stage like that - so shut your pie holes!

And that branding bullshit is from Greg Kott I think in the Tribune - part of his review because GNR has not put out anything new and still touring - he likens them to all these bands out touring now with nothing new but nostalgia - when you don't know the whole story, you shouldn't form an opinion. While we really don't know what's going to happen, I wouldn't judge until after this tour.

And don't be embarassed to be GNR fans man! You should be proud. I've heard some crap - nobody makes it without their fans man - there are so many people that have come and gone - regardless of the status of the new music - GNR stuff is classic, nobody will ever touch much of their music or come along and make something similar - just like the Stones keep touring and making cash with classic - stuff after a certain period is just shit IMO - but I pay to see them to hear the classics mostly and so what? Jagger can be an asshole, the whole group can and they have had feuds along the way but no one makes fun of people going to see them and some of their classics IMO, after they have reworked or done whatever and Mick Jagger is like 60 or nearing it, and his voice is not same, are not so great anymore at a live show but do people complain? No cause it's the Stones and they could throw shit at their audience of preppy, canned lame asses and they would not care.

Everyone just wants to everyone to be over the top and outrageous most of the time with all the crazy reality shows out there and media overload and I say fuck that - GNR has matured, just like the rest of us and it doesn't diminish the music in any way. Ok. I've had my rant. Now if I could just light a fire under the lame asses that attend shows who come to sit and clap...
Beautifully written!
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2006, 12:13:02 PM »

She reached under the money tray and pulled out their (Aramark) itinerary for the night.  It specifically stated GNR 11:10p.m. - 1:30am.  Then she mentioned that she would be watching most of the show since beer sales were going to be cut off before GnR would even start.

Therefore, its not that they go onstage 'late', that's just their scheduled time. (For whatever thats worth... work still kicked my ass today).

it's not always the case

in paris and london they were scheduled at 10. and they came on at 11.30

but hey
it's cool

think about it, more time = longer night = money worht

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2006, 12:32:30 PM »

I went out, looked at the t-shirts, bought one

I was with you until the "bought one". I'm sorry but $45 for a T-Shirt is retarded. At the Hammerstein they were only $20-25. I also found three shirts in the street after the Hammerstein concert! So for me they were $6 each!

Fair enough, though I didn't pay $45, so I'm not sure where you got that.  It's really no worse than paying $7 each for a few pissweisers or piss lights, or any of the other legal extortion that goes on at concerts.   

If you paid $6 for an actual, real concert t-shirt, then that's a great deal.  I have my suspicions, however, that it probably wasn't.  Let me ask, did the seller also get you to buy a Rolox watch or perhaps a Guchee purse?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
savedsol
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2006, 01:13:36 PM »

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about and will assume you didn't really read my post. The shirts at the stand by the South gate were $45. I paid $25 for a shirt at the Hammerstein in May - in the concert, at the stand. I then found (as in did not buy) three more in the street after the concert. I was making a joke that $25 divided by four shirts = $6.25 per shirt.

Hear you on the beer thing though.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 01:18:17 PM by savedsol » Logged
wadernation
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2006, 01:45:19 PM »

Ya Chicago rocked!!

there is only one worlds most dangerous man
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2006, 02:05:26 PM »

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about and will assume you didn't really read my post. The shirts at the stand by the South gate were $45. I paid $25 for a shirt at the Hammerstein in May - in the concert, at the stand. I then found (as in did not buy) three more in the street after the concert. I was making a joke that $25 divided by four shirts = $6.25 per shirt.

Hear you on the beer thing though.

I did read it, though I completely misunderstood, I think.  When you said you "found" them in the street, I thought you meant someone was selling ripoffs outside...not that you literally FOUND some.  I can't believe someone would pay (too much) for shirts and then leave 'em in the street (they clearly had enough money for MANY $7 beers).  I bought my shirt at the stand by the East gate, and it wasn't $45...maybe the long sleeve ones were $45?  I'm not sure.  I paid $35, which is still too much, but pretty common for concert tees.  I expected to pay $30 or so, if I wanted one.  I would NOT have bought the jackets or button up shirts that were going for $80-$125.  Ouch!     

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2006, 02:20:16 PM »

Holy shit! Dead on accurate and well written.... here here!

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2006, 03:58:40 PM »

Great post! Strep can be some serious shit, especially if left untreated. I was nearly hospitalized because of that shit once.

The people that didn't enjoy the show should just stay home next time, in my opinion.

In my opinion, GNR, is a brand, in addition to a band. I don't mean that as a bad thing either. Most bands that have been very successful become a "brand" so to speak. Metallica, Aerosmith, Ac/Dc, KISS, etc...? You can buy their merch at Target and Wal-Mart for example. I don't see a problem with it. Some call it "selling out", some just call it "being successful".

« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 04:56:46 PM by 1badapple » Logged
tjcoolcat4
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2006, 05:30:06 PM »

Anyone know if the "Axl for President" sign shown on the video screens was from THIS show, or just live footage from another time?? I had a feeling it was from the Chicago show, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, that is my banner! I made it 2 days before the show. I was trying to find the right time to pull the banner out so Axl would see it. I pulled the banner out during Patience and my new buddy and I held it up when Axl was walking in front of us (right in front of Tommy). I will never forget the moment when Axl looked right at it. He saw it, smiled big, and looked right at me and knoded. That was cool. I was hoping to toss it up on the stage and have Axl hold it up, but after Axl acknowledged it, one of the band's security personel came up to me and said something about it being a cool banner but if Axl wants it on stage, he will let us know. So he said to just keep it on the rail in the mean time. I never got the cue to toss it up there, but at the end of Patience I saw it up on the big screen. That was worth it, SO COOL!? I'm glad you guys liked it.
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2006, 05:34:55 PM »

Thanks 1 bad apple! You are right, all bands do it now. There was once a time when no one would sell out, now you hear everyone's shit on commercials and so forth. You're right, it's just a way to keep the cash flowing. Although, has any of the Guns music ever been sold for a commercial? I can't remember?

crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2006, 05:36:27 PM »

Anyone know if the "Axl for President" sign shown on the video screens was from THIS show, or just live footage from another time?  I had a feeling it was from the Chicago show, but I'm not sure.
That was a great sign! Great job! And so cool to see it on stage on their video screen!

Yeah, that is my banner! I made it 2 days before the show. I was trying to find the right time to pull the banner out so Axl would see it. I pulled the banner out during Patience and my new buddy and I held it up when Axl was walking in front of us (right in front of Tommy). I will never forget the moment when Axl looked right at it. He saw it, smiled big, and looked right at me and knoded. That was cool. I was hoping to toss it up on the stage and have Axl hold it up, but after Axl acknowledged it, one of the band's security personel came up to me and said something about it being a cool banner but if Axl wants it on stage, he will let us know. So he said to just keep it on the rail in the mean time. I never got the cue to toss it up there, but at the end of Patience I saw it up on the big screen. That was worth it, SO COOL!  I'm glad you guys liked it.

gekkothegreat
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »

I WILL BE POSTING MY 35 MINUTES WORTH OF GNR FROM MONDAY.......IN ABOUT 30 MINS......EXCELLENT QUALITY.....ABOUT 10-15 FEET FROM THE STAGE..........GET READY PEOPLE.....PRETTY GOOD STUFF
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2006, 05:37:30 PM »

Anyone know if the "Axl for President" sign shown on the video screens was from THIS show, or just live footage from another time?  I had a feeling it was from the Chicago show, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, that is my banner! I made it 2 days before the show. I was trying to find the right time to pull the banner out so Axl would see it. I pulled the banner out during Patience and my new buddy and I held it up when Axl was walking in front of us (right in front of Tommy). I will never forget the moment when Axl looked right at it. He saw it, smiled big, and looked right at me and knoded. That was cool. I was hoping to toss it up on the stage and have Axl hold it up, but after Axl acknowledged it, one of the band's security personel came up to me and said something about it being a cool banner but if Axl wants it on stage, he will let us know. So he said to just keep it on the rail in the mean time. I never got the cue to toss it up there, but at the end of Patience I saw it up on the big screen. That was worth it, SO COOL!  I'm glad you guys liked it.

Very cool...and so cool that they showed it on vid, too!  Most people around me figured it was hanging over the balcony, so no wonder I couldn't physically spot it.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: