Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 12:44:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Being Axl Rose a book
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Being Axl Rose a book  (Read 8195 times)
GeraldFord
« on: November 30, 2006, 03:32:46 AM »

Being Axl Rose

Searching the web in 2005 Daryl Waller came across a forum called ?How to Find Axl Rose?. Amazed to see the amount of people posting messages searching and obsessing about Axl. He posted a message saying that he was the ?real Axl Rose? and could be emailed at axlrose01@hotmail.com: -

Dear fans and un-fans. I am getting tired of reading these things on-line all the time, so here is my email address for you all to write your questions to me. If it goes crazy then I'll just let it go over its limit and set up a new account. I can't say I will read everything; I'm very busy these days.
I hope to hear from you all soon.

Best Wishes,

Axl

Hundreds of emails poured into the mailbox in a matter of weeks sent from people from all over the world, and while some assumed (rightly) that the email address was phoney, they wrote anyway, just in case.

The messages ranged from the canny  ?If you really are Axl, what was the name of your new song?? to the downright psychotic ?Dear Axl, If you don?t reply to this I?m going to kill myself!? One girl wrote that she had been hiding in the bushes outside Axl?s house, stalking him, waiting for a glimpse of him at the petrol station, this girl later sends a harrowing letter as a Word document describing in depth a theory that hundreds of years ago Axl and herself were once one complete soul, a soul that she felt needed to be rejoined. After getting no response from Daryl throughout her final email is a vicious read where, ironically, she wishes it were Axl that had killed himself, and not Kurt Cobain.

You can see, that for some, Axl has made a really positive impact on their life, but there are also some really tormented souls out there who just cannot stop thinking about this man. Some emails had obviously taken hours to compose ? they were long, egocentric monologues giving their complete autobiography, sometimes writing to Axl as a psychoanalyst.

Daryl had a fascinating four months reading all the emails. He replied to the few who needed further encouragement or wanted me him ?prove? he was Axl. For this proof he used information about Axl that is widely available on the web, details of where he lives, what he eats, what he likes to do and where he grew up, etc.

After being was satisfied with the amount of emails he?d received he posted another message on the forum telling everyone that he wasn?t the real Axl Rose after all, and that he had posted the message as a social experiment and apologised for causing any distress or upset. He reassured everyone that wasn?t trying to ridicule anyone and that it was just an idea that needed to run its course. A few people wrote asking how the project went. They were interested in the results, or how he felt about messing with people feelings. Predictably, he also got some angry ranting. The most interesting though were the ones who went into complete denial. One girl wrote to him (Daryl) saying how annoyed and angry she was, then a few days later she wrote to him at the same address saying she believed that Daryl was still the real Axl pretending to be a guy named Daryl to stop the rest of the fans emailing him. She took Daryl?s confession as a message that Axl loved her and nobody else. After it all had died down, he edited the thousands of emails and compiled the best of them into a book.

Daryl finds the extremes sycophants are prepared to go to find their idols captivating. It reinforces a belief that when you are famous and a fan approaches you, they often want something from you. There are many other threads to this piece of work such as notions of the celebrity era we live in and where the boundaries of public vs. private life lie. But maybe the most interesting factor was the amount of pure faith and 'hope against hope' that people had, it is absolutely extraordinary. You could liken it to the search for, or the attempt to communicate with, God. Except in this case they knew for a fact that ?their? God, Axl, was real, alive, a recluse hiding out in his mansion in LA.

Mr Winter 2006

Death Cube K
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:31:25 AM »

People are damn crazy. Axl did not kill himself like many other big stars, like Cobain or Morrison. He kind of fell between alive and dead for many years, laying low so to speak. This created a weird situation where some people acted like he was semi-dead and started a weird worship kind of thing but also the other issue were people didnt care anymore. If Axl had died at some point, it would have taken on its life on its own, like its been doing to Cobain for example.

It's all very interesting.
fixintodie
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 05:18:56 AM »

Daryl sounds like a fucking scumbag, exploiting people's feelings, using their words and PRIVATE correspondence to make money, and obtaining that correspondence under false pretenses, while impersonating someone else. What an asshole.
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 05:33:49 AM »

Now this is an interesting shit. 1st. I would never believe that this was real Axl. 2nd I suppose as a GN'R I would also write to Axl. And 3rd when if I had understood that this was not Axl as it happend, I would find Daryl and kill him!

"...It don't really matter..."
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 05:43:23 AM »

I hope axl sues the mothefvcker.....

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
Death Cube K
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 06:07:00 AM »

Well thats one side that he may have stepped over a line but hes rising some very very interesting issues about Axl Rose and his fans and non-fans.
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 06:28:57 AM »

Unless you are AXL ROSE (in this situation), you CAN'T play like this with human feelings and emotions!

November_Rain
Loyal to death
VIP

The bittersweet honey of your eyes...

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 07:15:30 AM »

Some people are fucking crazy and what is worse is that some of them are so obssessed that could be even dangerous or a threat to him. It must be hard to be Axl Rose and deal with all this.

Some of these people need the help of a psychiatrist nervous

Nobody will ever love you the way I do...
fixintodie
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 08:22:59 AM »

Some people are fucking crazy and what is worse is that some of them are so obssessed that could be even dangerous or a threat to him. It must be hard to be Axl Rose and deal with all this.

Some fans will always cross the line. Just because their affection/adoration/obsession is misplaced doesn't mean they deserve to be cheated and exploited by some two-bit 'writer'.
Andreas - N.I.R.
Opening Act

And then sometimes it's best to walk away

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 09:05:37 AM »

This is just stupid. A "social experiment". Sure... I've never understood how people have/take the time to lie to people like this. Is it just because they CAN do it anonymously online? Do something useful instead.

Andreas - N.I.R.
Link?ping, Sweden
GNFNRAXL
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 09:08:41 AM »

Some fans will always cross the line. Just because their affection/adoration/obsession is misplaced doesn't mean they deserve to be cheated and exploited by some two-bit 'writer'.

I agree to some extent. ?But some people who wrote in this thread confirms what this guys is saying. ?sixstrings wrote he would kill him. ? Shocked ?Whil I would be angry if I was fooled like this, I would still not want to kill him. ?And can you imagine that girl who wrote him, who said she was stalking Axl Rose and that in a previous life she was one with Axl. ?Can you say psycho? ?I can't believe he didn't warn Axl about that girl. ?That is one of Darryl's wrong doing in my opinion. ?So he proves one point and we all shouldn't ignore that point. ?A day in the life of Axl Rose must be one the most crazy experiences ever. ?
fixintodie
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 09:21:04 AM »

I agree to some extent.  But some people who wrote in this thread confirms what this guys is saying.  sixstrings wrote he would kill him.   Shocked  Whil I would be angry if I was fooled like this, I would still not want to kill him.  And can you imagine that girl who wrote him, who said she was stalking Axl Rose and that in a previous life she was one with Axl.  Can you say psycho?  I can't believe he didn't warn Axl about that girl.  That is one of Darryl's wrong doing in my opinion.  So he proves one point and we all shouldn't ignore that point.  A day in the life of Axl Rose must be one the most crazy experiences ever. 

Why, have we ever seen any evidence that Axl reads/receives his fan mail?

People who are mentally ill need help, not exploitation. 'Social experiment' my ass - sounds like the web equivalent of a prank call to me.
GNFNRAXL
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »

I agree to some extent.? But some people who wrote in this thread confirms what this guys is saying.? sixstrings wrote he would kill him.? ?Shocked? Whil I would be angry if I was fooled like this, I would still not want to kill him.? And can you imagine that girl who wrote him, who said she was stalking Axl Rose and that in a previous life she was one with Axl.? Can you say psycho?? I can't believe he didn't warn Axl about that girl.? That is one of Darryl's wrong doing in my opinion.? So he proves one point and we all shouldn't ignore that point.? A day in the life of Axl Rose must be one the most crazy experiences ever.?

Why, have we ever seen any evidence that Axl reads/receives his fan mail?

People who are mentally ill need help, not exploitation. 'Social experiment' my ass - sounds like the web equivalent of a prank call to me.

Well first of all.  Like I said.  I agree with you to some extent.  BUT!  Seriously.  Can you really tell me that had you seen this at the beginning.  A guy saying he's Axl Rose and has an email adress axlrose01@hotmail.com, can you really tell me you would've believed that load of crap?  Seriously.  While I agree that making a book about this is wrong.  And I do agree that people who are mentally ill need help, not exploitation.  That girl is STALKING Axl Rose.  STALKING!  So which is more wrong?  Daryl making people believe he's Axl Rose for a supposed social study(and I emphasize the word supposed) or this girl stalking a celebrity in this case Axl Rose?  First it's stalking then what?  And she writes that she and Axl were one soul in a previous life.  If I were Axl I'd want to know of that demented person stalking me so I could prevent any harm to myself or that woman. 
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 10:18:47 AM »

I agree to some extent. ?But some people who wrote in this thread confirms what this guys is saying. ?sixstrings wrote he would kill him. ? Shocked ?Whil I would be angry if I was fooled like this, I would still not want to kill him. ?And can you imagine that girl who wrote him, who said she was stalking Axl Rose and that in a previous life she was one with Axl. ?Can you say psycho? ?I can't believe he didn't warn Axl about that girl. ?That is one of Darryl's wrong doing in my opinion. ?So he proves one point and we all shouldn't ignore that point. ?A day in the life of Axl Rose must be one the most crazy experiences ever. ?

Hahaha, I said it metaphorically. Do you think that I can kill someone? Hahaha...Maybe beat his ass but killing him... Shocked

phasetrak
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 10:35:52 AM »

I think that is a brilliant idea for a book - I really enjoy "experiments" (things that start out as pranks and then turn into something much bigger that reveals something about humanity) along the lines of this one. I may buy it.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 11:47:12 AM »

It's also fraud in anyway you look at it.  If this douchebag actually tries to sell this book, he'll get sued and probably spend a few cold winters cuddled up to Bubba in the big house.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 12:16:01 PM »

I wouldn't have written this dude an email, because it's way too easy to see the bs in "Hi, it's Axl, here's my email!"  But for those who did, I feel a bit pissed. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 01:10:41 PM »

anyone who wrote to him actually thinking he was axl is a complete idiot and deserves to have their emails posted in a book. I for one would buy it.... come on people. If i made an email elvisisalive@hotmail.com and told people I was actually alive and people wrote me... i'd do it to... well i wouldn't but it would be funny. Did no one think of checking the addy's IP number before they wrote their life stories to 'axl'.... gimme a break

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
GNFNRAXL
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 01:39:53 PM »

anyone who wrote to him actually thinking he was axl is a complete idiot and deserves to have their emails posted in a book. I for one would buy it.... come on people. If i made an email elvisisalive@hotmail.com and told people I was actually alive and people wrote me... i'd do it to... well i wouldn't but it would be funny. Did no one think of checking the addy's IP number before they wrote their life stories to 'axl'.... gimme a break

Elvis!  You're alive!  Thank god!  I knew it!  I'm writing you an email right now!   Shocked
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 01:40:52 PM »

i think it`s interesting how obsessed some people are with axl......  it`s a phenomenon. 

i mean fans are often obsessed (...idiots hihi), but axl is in some ways special i think. i`m definitely interested in those mails.

and well....  people who believe everything they read have to blame themselves peace

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: