Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 12:59:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228481 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Will my GN'R poster infringe copyright if printed?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will my GN'R poster infringe copyright if printed?  (Read 9174 times)
SammyD1st
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 03:30:27 PM »

different between the UK and US

Sorry, didn't see that part - everything I said applies only to US law. I don't know UK law hardly at all, except that I know your general Freedom of Expression laws (including copyright, right of publicity and libel) are generally more strict that in the US. So if you were in the US I'd say you'd be fine, but in the UK it might be tougher.

- SammyD1st
dodger girl
Rocker

art is resistance

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 03:36:50 PM »

i hardly know about copyright issues but from a designer standpoint, i can say that regardless of the resolution of that poster, and depending on the type of impression you're going to use, the colors are a bit tough to reproduce in print.. there's so much dark spots, it's hard to say if that's gonna end up well printed.. did you test it?

Edward Rose
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 03:39:12 PM »

different between the UK and US

Sorry, didn't see that part - everything I said applies only to US law. I don't know UK law hardly at all, except that I know your general Freedom of Expression laws (including copyright, right of publicity and libel) are generally more strict that in the US. So if you were in the US I'd say you'd be fine, but in the UK it might be tougher.

- SammyD1st

It's all so very complicated, as far as "understanding" why you can't do what you're trying to do. That's why that other poster is taking a class on it.

The illegal concert shirts on sidewalks after shows are all ILLEGAL. But those people have no life, probably already have warrants for their arrest, and are selling shitty quality shirts that band management assumes the fans KNOW are shitty shirts. There's only one reason why they don't have problems selling the shirts after the shows. The law enforcement system in most countries has broken down and no longer functions within the technological age we are living in.
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 03:41:50 PM »

The illegal concert shirts on sidewalks after shows are all ILLEGAL. But those people have no life, probably already have warrants for their arrest, and are selling shitty quality shirts that band management assumes the fans KNOW are shitty shirts. There's only one reason why they don't have problems selling the shirts after the shows. The law enforcement system in most countries has broken down and no longer functions within the technological age we are living in.

Yeah but I still buy them. I have a Lollapalooza shirt from '93 where "Georgia" is spelled "Goergia"? hihi? I think a band is also either spelled wrong or wasn't on the tour. Still have my CD 2002 shirt too, in good shape.
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 03:48:56 PM »

I have a few $10 shirts i've bought in parking lots after a show. I guess i've been lucky, becuase i've never gotten a shitty quality shirt. Hell, a couple of them have held up better than the $40 shirts I've bought inside the venue.

I think selling that poster for profit would be an infringment. I wouldn't mind having one of them though, if it turns out good.
SammyD1st
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2006, 04:07:56 PM »

Let me just remind you all of the leaflet that was passed out on the European Tour this year:

... just because I'm having fun talking about GnR and reviewing for law school finals at the same time... (and again, I'm only talking US law)...

To continue the discussion of the legal contract on the ticket, the above terms are a legally enforceable contract. However, the automatic copyright assignment portion "audience agrees that all recordings... are automatically and forever assigned" would very likely not be enforced by a court. Either copyrighted works are "work for hire" or they aren't, and when they aren't courts are very reluctant to enforce assignments in adhesion contracts. So, overall, you likely do not have a copyright issue - even in light of the ticket contract terms.

However, the violation of contract issue remains for the actual bringing of a camera into the concert. The damages on such a relatively minor breach would, fortunately for concert-goers, likley be rather small - at least compared to a copyright or right of publicity infringement.

But overally, I'm not interested in pissing off GnR Management - and they would be able to sue you, they just might not be able to win. So unless paying the lawyers to defend you would be less than the profits you expect to make then it doesn't make economic sense to sell the posters. 

- SammyD1st
TylerPaige
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 04:10:53 PM »

Who would buy this?  it is awful
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 06:22:56 PM »

i spoke briefly to a lawyer i know and she said that i own the copyright to the photos, and so i can sell the poster.? Not sure whether its different between the UK and US, im in england btw, im guessing itd be governed by international copyright law but i dont really know

But you probably didn't mention that it said "no cameras allowed" on your concert ticket. If it were that easy, don't you think we'd see a gazillion t-shirts, cofee mugs and posters on the net for sale everywhere?

I see tons of homeade gnr t shits for sale esp after the shows.

Are you kidding me?  Did you ever wonder why the guys selling those shirts keep them under their jackets until arena security drives past them? 

2nd, I'm not saying I could do any better, but the poster isn't a great work of art, sorry.  no

3rd, wouldn't it be kick-ass if we could just get an official GNR 2006 poster? 

I don't enjoy spending money on alot of things, but dammit, I have been waiting years and years to spend money on GNR.  2 concerts and merch just isn't enough.   peace

I still believe we're gonna get CD this year.  Don't worry.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
anaesthetics
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 08:02:14 AM »

It'll infringe copyrights, sure, but let's be realistic.  Guns have enough to worry about and spend money on than some small-time punk selling posters on eBay (no offense).  Worst case scenario, someone will send you a cease and desist.  They're only encouraging bootleggers with their inflated merch costs at shows and a lack of an official merch page on gnr.com.

That aside, I'm going to be completely honest with you... your poster wouldn't sell anyway.
usermich
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2006, 06:45:01 PM »

I've created a gnr poster using my own photos and i just want to know if i can sell it or will selling it infringe copyright

ive been told if i remove the gnr logo on it then as the photos are my creative property i can sell it without infringing copyright laws, does anyone think merck would reply if i asked him directly? (i understand thats a long shot)
sell that shit until legal documents are served to you!!! Fuck everyone!!!!
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 06:55:16 PM »

It'll infringe copyrights, sure, but let's be realistic.? Guns have enough to worry about and spend money on than some small-time punk selling posters on eBay (no offense).? Worst case scenario, someone will send you a cease and desist.?

I got one of those for selling GNR concert bootlegs on ebay 4 years ago.

Yes, it is illegal to go to a concert, take pictures, and resell them. 
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 06:58:13 PM »

no selling!!

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
PigeonOfSh!tMetal
Headliner

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2006, 07:02:57 PM »

Considering GN'R Management read this board, this is pretty dumb of you to share your plans if you intend on making a profit from this.

A frown is a smile in an upside down world.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 07:24:12 PM »

I've created a gnr poster using my own photos and i just want to know if i can sell it or will selling it infringe copyright

ive been told if i remove the gnr logo on it then as the photos are my creative property i can sell it without infringing copyright laws, does anyone think merck would reply if i asked him directly? (i understand thats a long shot)

Even using the GNR name without explicit written approval is a violation of the copyright on the name. You would get sued so fast your head would spin.
anaesthetics
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 10:58:33 PM »

Even using the GNR name without explicit written approval is a violation of the copyright on the name. You would get sued so fast your head would spin.
No he wouldn't.  Think for a second.  The band would lose much more money issuing a court summons than they would just to ignore it and let the guy sell a few dozen posters (at most).  Cease and desist is really an idle threat unless something more serious is at stake (leaks, for instance).
gnfnr2006
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2006, 11:35:56 AM »

Just hope Axl does not hear about this....or you will be the reasone we have no CD......downloadin motherfucker !!   hihi
gnfnr2006
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »

Considering GN'R Management read this board, this is pretty dumb of you to share your plans if you intend on making a profit from this.

This thread hasnt been deleted yet? confused
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2006, 11:40:24 AM »

No he wouldn't.  Think for a second.  The band would lose much more money issuing a court summons than they would just to ignore it and let the guy sell a few dozen posters (at most).  Cease and desist is really an idle threat unless something more serious is at stake (leaks, for instance).

The bands copyright lawyers enforce the copyright to the letter of the law. Trust me when I say if they will sue/threaten to sue if you violate the copyright. They even go after some websites with the words guns n roses in the url....
DuffRock
Rocker

www.cafepress.com/patiencepays

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2006, 11:46:15 AM »

how is it dumb? i posted so i could find out if it was illegal, im not trying to rip off gnr for gods sake

i dont understand why my threads been met with so much animosity, im not some guy tryin to rip off his favourite band, im just a skint student who wondered if he could legally use his photography to make some money

but thanks for bein an asshole

good job

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: