Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 01:22:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)  (Read 61950 times)
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2006, 01:16:36 AM »

It kinda bums me out that a lot of people on here think Axl SHOULD cater to the average music listener in todays music scene or about getting new fans.....screw that, what about the CURRENT fans.  I think if people didn't care about guitar work in music then songs from bands like zeppelin, metallica, U2 and gnr still wouldn't still be popular today. 

I don't want CD to appeal to "new" fans.  He should just write some GOOD music and the rest will follow.  I'm not pointing out anyone in particular here by any means, but a lot of posts on here sound like they are from business execs trying to figure out which song will make the most money or something and get the most radio play and stuff.

GNR is rock.  pure, hard core rock, even the slower more melodic songs still rock (SCOM, NR).  Since when has GNR ever been described as having a "pop sound" or "catchy lyrics" -- shit better is even being described as "EMO"!!.   I just don't get it.  But as I've said before, I seem to be in the minority here.

I hate to break this to ya but the whole point of a single is to gain exposure and for the most part bands release songs as single which they feel will appeal to  the most people. The more people a single appeals to the more peoplel who are likely to buy the album and discover the other side of the band. I also hate to break it to you but Gn'R is a pop band. SCOM, Don't Cry, November Rain, Yesterdays,  Even paradise City is a pop song. These are pop songs in the rock genre.

I'll give you the first one, but lets agree to disagree about GNR being a pop band Smiley  Curious to hear what other people have to say about that. 

I guess the point I was trying to make is Better to me seems like an average song you'd hear on the radio today.  Its a "safe" choice.  Maybe its a personal thing for me...I want a rocker to be the first single and give a big jolt to the modern rock community, to say, "wake up, this is the new standard"...kinda like they did when AFD came out.  I see CD as a rebirth of rock....Better doesn't do that for me.

Imagine you hear the intro to better at a concert, does it get you pyched the way the guitar intros to SCOM or WTTJ does?  Does it get you fired up the way the drums to YCBM do?  Or the bass to Its so Easy?  Can you yell "DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE!" before playing better? Wink

I like the intro to Chinese Democracy and I think IRS could have a cool one if the intro of the heavy electric guitars is reworked a bit.  But i'm not in the studio so what the F do I know  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 01:23:52 AM by HannaHat » Logged

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2006, 01:20:42 AM »

Please share this with Jameslofton, ?i think he's perfected the bash first and ask questions later.
What the fuck does that mean? Take that kind of shit to PMs. Instead of asking him to share it, YOU share it. By PM.

Bono
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2006, 01:25:01 AM »

I'll give you the first one, but lets agree to disagree about GNR being a pop band Smiley? Curious to hear what other people have to say about that.?

I guess the point I was trying to make is Better to me seems like an average song you'd hear on the radio today.? Its a "safe" choice.? Maybe its a personal thing for me...I want a rocker to be the first single and give a big jolt to the modern rock community, to say, "wake up, this is the new standard"...kinda like they did when AFD came out.? I see CD as a rebirth of rock....Better doesn't do that for me.

O.k. I hear ya. You're right. The power chords in the song are pretty standard as far as modern rock radio goes today. That's all the new bands who are on radio seem to know how to do. U2's Vertigo took heat for that too. People complained that the riff was cheesy and lazy. I guess the same thing could be said for Better. the difference though with Vertigo and Better is, in my opinion the melody saves it from being a lame power chord riff. there's pop to it(I don't mean pop as in style) and it grabs your attention right off. ?As for Gn'R being a pop band well.... yes and no. I guess it all depends on what we consider pop. I mean I love U2 but they aren't a cheesy pop band yet on the other hand they're totally a pop band. Same goes with Guns. They are a kick ass hard rock band but on the other side they have an element of pop to what they do. You know with melody and lyrics(not all) and love songs. I don't look at it as a bad thing and like I said I guess it all comes down to how we define pop. It's hard to define. beer
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2006, 01:26:04 AM »

I miss the atitude.  The kick in the balls you get when listening to Axl scream or hear a Slash riff.  Cry

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
ryanb964
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2006, 01:32:00 AM »

As far as TWAT goes, it's no where near as good as estranged for sure, close to november rain though. I just can't get into the chorus at all, that "it's been a long time for you, it's been a long time for me, it's been a long time for everyone" , I don't like the way he sings it in my opinion. As far as singles go, I don't know. I had 2 friends listen to IRS, Better, and TWAT, and they said they were alright, not good, not great, not awesome, but just alright. ?I love Better, and I think TWAT would be awsome if he sang the chorus different, but I can live without IRS. I'm just going to wait till I get the album, and see what song I like the best, and hopefully that'll be the single lol.  Oh yeah, and in TWAT, it sounds just like Queensryche right after the second chorus.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2006, 01:41:50 AM »

I think its intresting you don't like the chorus.. and yet its my favorite part in the song. Good times. Haha.. poor Axl.. you have to please everyone!

gnrevolution.com
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2006, 01:42:50 AM »

I'll give you the first one, but lets agree to disagree about GNR being a pop band Smiley  Curious to hear what other people have to say about that. 

I guess the point I was trying to make is Better to me seems like an average song you'd hear on the radio today.  Its a "safe" choice.  Maybe its a personal thing for me...I want a rocker to be the first single and give a big jolt to the modern rock community, to say, "wake up, this is the new standard"...kinda like they did when AFD came out.  I see CD as a rebirth of rock....Better doesn't do that for me.

O.k. I hear ya. You're right. The power chords in the song are pretty standard as far as modern rock radio goes today. That's all the new bands who are on radio seem to know how to do. U2's Vertigo took heat for that too. People complained that the riff was cheesy and lazy. I guess the same thing could be said for Better. the difference though with Vertigo and Better is, in my opinion the melody saves it from being a lame power chord riff. there's pop to it(I don't mean pop as in style) and it grabs your attention right off.  As for Gn'R being a pop band well.... yes and no. I guess it all depends on what we consider pop. I mean I love U2 but they aren't a cheesy pop band yet on the other hand they're totally a pop band. Same goes with Guns. They are a kick ass hard rock band but on the other side they have an element of pop to what they do. You know with melody and lyrics(not all) and love songs. I don't look at it as a bad thing and like I said I guess it all comes down to how we define pop. It's hard to define. beer

Cool...now i TOTALLY agree with you  peace  especially your U2 comments.  I've heard U2 take a lot of heat for reverting back to their "older" sound, but I think the singles off of the latest disc still sound like U2, but with a modern flavor....but they still haven't lost the sound that makes them U2.  I don't mind a modern sound from Guns, but stay true to what you are is all I ask from them.  I think U2 went back to a tried and true sound with a slight twist (funny how they are considered the biggest rock band out now after they did that you know) and I hope Guns does the same on this disc.  A little experimentation is ok, but I hope there are less my worlds/Oh My Gods and more WTTJ/SCOM.  Either way, it was nice doing business with ya! Wink haha ok

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2006, 01:43:43 AM »

I miss the atitude.  The kick in the balls you get when listening to Axl scream or hear a Slash riff.  Cry

I think skynard girl can help you with that  hihi

I know what you mean though, I want this album to fuck me up when I first listen to it. 

Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2006, 02:50:03 AM »

Couldn't the first single be Chinese Democracy, the song ? Anytime a DJ would announce it, he would also plug the album...
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2006, 04:20:03 AM »

If I was going by commercial thoughts, I'd go for "Better" because from what we've heard, it's catchy as hell.

But if had a choice (lol) I would pick "Twat", best lyrics since a long time, and the music yes

Can't wait to hear a proper studio version, and for the guys to play it live.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2006, 05:06:52 AM »

TWAT to me is a fans song, ala Estranged

First single has got to be Better or Chinese Democracy (from what we've heard)

Both are punchy and more importantly have the immediacy required of a comeback single much like YCMB did all those years ago

Second single go with the Blues

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
badapple81
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2006, 05:22:32 AM »

I agree that TWAT will be a fans song like Estranged, Breakdown, Locomotive etc..

Better has the potential but my gut feeling is that the first single will be something we've never heard before.

Chinese Democracy? Well it may sound a lot different to what we heard in 01 and 02, I have a feeling it will.

As I said it may well be something we've yet to hear.
Deniz
Headliner

I'll just end up walking in the cold november rain

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2006, 08:50:19 AM »

Just like i can't understand why people listen to generally what is on mtv thesedays, i'm never gonna understand why a person likes the new leaked ones better then nv and estranged.Anyway, i think popularitywise starting off with a kickass fast rock song is better.GreenDay followed a pretty good strategy by releasing american idiot first and then b.o.b.d..
I personally would like gn'r to not shoot any videos even if this shuts the way of taking over the world again.Pearl jam didn't shoot any vids for a couple of years and i thought that was really cool.İt gives the statement that they r all about the music.I'm telling this here cause usually a single is released with a clip.just the new album would be brillant.
İsn't that what we, the hardcore fans, really want.I wouldn't mind if stupid MTV wouldn't even mention them ever again.

Axl:When did you see me overreact
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2006, 09:26:55 AM »

First of all you haven't heard the rest of the album. It could have a HUGE bomb ready to explode...

Second, you haven't heard the rest of BETTER. So you can't judge it properly.

Third, the single could be from the Da Vinci Code OST. Ask yourselves, does Better or TWAT or IRS or The Blues have anything to do with that movie? If you ask me, I'd say no...

But it could also have nothing to do with the movie...

All we can do is wait and see. You can't predict or choose from something you haven't heard yet.

darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2006, 09:29:32 AM »

I have a feeling (not a theory, just a feeling) that the single will be some track we just haven't heard yet, period.  It will have to be something that demonstrates a transition from 'old Guns' to 'new Guns' in the span of 4-5 minutes.  I'm not quite sure how they'll pull that off - but I have full faith in their ability to.

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2006, 09:31:17 AM »

Oh, BTW, a song has already been announced for the Davinci OST:

"Celice"
Performed by A-ha
Words by Magne Furuholmen
Music by Magne Furuholmen & Martin Terefe
Universal Music GmbH

As you can see it's Universal... So, it could happen...

darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2006, 09:32:07 AM »

"Celice"
Performed by A-ha
Universal Music GmbH

A-Ha?  Where the hell have they been?  Wonder if the next track announced will be a new Bananarama exclusive Wink

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2006, 09:34:21 AM »

"Celice"
Performed by A-ha
Universal Music GmbH

A-Ha?? Where the hell have they been?? Wonder if the next track announced will be a new Bananarama exclusive Wink

-darknemus

Then we sit tight for a Wham reunion...........
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2006, 09:35:12 AM »

"Celice"
Performed by A-ha
Universal Music GmbH

A-Ha?  Where the hell have they been?  Wonder if the next track announced will be a new Bananarama exclusive Wink

-darknemus

A-Ha are doing pretty good in Europe. And they also played at Live 8.

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2006, 09:37:59 AM »

Oh, and don't forget, people could be asking the same about GN'R...

GN'R?  Where the hell have they been?

Unfortunately it's the truth...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: