Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 12:20:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)  (Read 61916 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2006, 11:34:11 PM »

And he may not have wanted to give away others.. Or the interview didn't post the others. Dont buy into his favorite too much.

I'm just fucking with you! Grin   Bottom line is, we don't have any clue until a statement has been made... But if I were to guess, I'll go for "Better" because it was mentioned as one of the favourites.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2006, 11:36:27 PM »

I'd go with a Big Gun which hasn't been talked about. Eh to each their own.. Lets jus hope we get something.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2006, 11:37:29 PM »

If they release Better as the first single, they better change the intro....that aweful sounding guitar work will kill them with non-hard core fans.  It just doesn't sound like music.  The rest of the song is great though.
benchiefjr
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2006, 11:38:58 PM »

It is.. and a 6/6/06 is a hell of a release date.? ok

My wife and I have another surprise which may drop on that day too.
Congrats on a job well done ?ok ?Get ready for the ?crying ?drool whilst you're listening to ur copy of Chinese Democracy. ?hihi
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2006, 11:41:36 PM »

With the media labeling "Better" as Emo I'd be shocked if its the first single.  IF IF IF these leaks WERE intentional, I think it was to gauge the feedback from DJs and critics....we had a longer, more melodic "older" sounding song in TWAT, a classic GNR sound rocker in IRS and a more "modern" song in Better.  These were three very different songs - its like their own little poll to see what people think of the GNR sound today.

All that being said, whether you agree with the EMO label or not, thats what people are labeling it and I don't think thats how GNR wants to be known.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2006, 11:41:55 PM »

If they release Better as the first single, they better change the intro....that aweful sounding guitar work will kill them with non-hard core fans.  It just doesn't sound like music.  The rest of the song is great though.

My thoughts EXACTLY.  beer

www.rosesofvelvet.com
scawl18
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2006, 11:58:15 PM »

Madison from GNR knows the name of the first single...Axl Told her backstage in 2002.  But she won't say what it is...But said that it is not 'Better', 'twat', or Irs, or madagascar or the blues.....
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2006, 12:01:09 AM »

Pass the salt please...

Madison doesn't know shit.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2006, 12:02:59 AM »

Pass the salt please...

Madison doesn't know shit.

Don't know about that she seems pretty legit too me...but 2002 was 4 years ago, the intended 1st single could've changed a dozen times

Then again it might not have

BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2006, 12:05:03 AM »

Axl Rose telling a fan the first single? C'mon now.. Really.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
BluesGNR
The Liberator
Legend

Here Today... Out for Lunch

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2006, 12:07:02 AM »

I just hope it's something that grabs a decent fan-base for the band.. i could give a rip if it fits my own taste or opinion.

You'll Find Your Inspiration GN'F'nR

2002: 12.6&8
2006: 5.12&14&15&17 11.5&10&13&24
2011: 11.15 12.10
2012: 2.19&24 11.17
2014: 5.13&28&30
2016: 4.1&8&9 6.23 7.1&3. 8.9&12
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2006, 12:09:30 AM »

'Better all the Way'

The chorus is the ultimate hook for a radio friendly single ok

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2006, 12:11:31 AM »

'Better all the Way'

The chorus is the ultimate hook for a radio friendly single ok

!!!!!!!!!!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2006, 12:11:40 AM »

There are all kinds of stories like that. From reports Axl seems more forthcoming with average fans than with media. We don't know, so we can remain skeptical but it's hard to rule out something.

I made fun of that wes guy at first when he first posted that he had the tracks, then tried to help him when he remain adamant about them.
The next morning I had a PM from him. I was like ?Shocked (Holy Fuck I feel like an ass now!! ?hihi I promptly thanked him and apologized profusely)

I'm never jumping the gun again on knowledge (whether it comes from a Newbie or a Veteran) peace

-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2006, 12:23:38 AM »

My thoughts EXACTLY.  beer

Yous really think that intro will kill them with non-hardcore fans?  Roll Eyes Since when have average music listeners cared about guitar work in music? Not since the 80's for sure.

The intro is catchy and will intrest new fans for sure. The only people who will be aliented by the intro are the old fans/axl haters.

-jack

gnrevolution.com
Bono
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2006, 12:31:44 AM »

IMO TWAT should be the first single. Its mind blowingingly brilliant. Its better than NR and Estranged. It would goto straight to No.1
GNR have gone to a new musical level. "lonely tear drops are calling me" - awsome stuff

#please move/delete if needed#

TWAT straight to number one? Not a chance in hell. The song is way too complex and asks alot from the listener. It'd be like releasing Estranged as a lead single. It'd be a terrible choice. The obvious choice from what we've heard would be Better. It's listener freindly and Axl's voice is so damn familiar. Better would have the same impact as a lead single that Vertigo did. And wheather you liked Vertigo or not is irrelevant. Fact is it was a massive hit. Better would have the same results.  Axl has been away for far too long to release somthing that demands attention from the listener. Better simply kicks your ass with a catchy strong guitar riff and wicked vocals. Simply as that.
noizzynofuture
Rocker

Spread the Virus

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2006, 12:35:57 AM »

There are all kinds of stories like that. From reports Axl seems more forthcoming with average fans than with media. We don't know, so we can remain skeptical but it's hard to rule out something.

I made fun of that wes guy at first when he first posted that he had the tracks, then tried to help him when he remain adamant about them.
The next morning I had a PM from him. I was like ?Shocked (Holy Fuck I feel like an ass now!! ?hihi I promptly thanked him and apologized profusely)

I'm never jumping the gun again on knowledge (whether it comes from a Newbie or a Veteran) peace

Please share this with Jameslofton, ?i think he's perfected the bash first and ask questions later. ?Maybe he could learn from this ? Grin

First single - must be a rocker - soothe some of the old head bangers- would have chosen IRS but it's been heard too much

Second single - go for the pop/new sound ?- better

Third single - go for the ballad/orchestra get the girlies - twat
Bono
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2006, 12:37:39 AM »

If they release Better as the first single, they better change the intro....that aweful sounding guitar work will kill them with non-hard core fans.? It just doesn't sound like music.? The rest of the song is great though.

I actually like the intro now that I know the lyrics being sung durring it. It makes a big difference.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2006, 01:01:31 AM »

It kinda bums me out that a lot of people on here think Axl SHOULD cater to the average music listener in todays music scene or about getting new fans.....screw that, what about the CURRENT fans.  I think if people didn't care about guitar work in music then songs from bands like zeppelin, metallica, U2 and gnr still wouldn't still be popular today. 

I don't want CD to appeal to "new" fans.  He should just write some GOOD music and the rest will follow.  I'm not pointing out anyone in particular here by any means, but a lot of posts on here sound like they are from business execs trying to figure out which song will make the most money or something and get the most radio play and stuff.

GNR is rock.  pure, hard core rock, even the slower more melodic songs still rock (SCOM, NR).  Since when has GNR ever been described as having a "pop sound" or "catchy lyrics" -- shit better is even being described as "EMO"!!.   I just don't get it.  But as I've said before, I seem to be in the minority here. 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Bono
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2006, 01:06:15 AM »

It kinda bums me out that a lot of people on here think Axl SHOULD cater to the average music listener in todays music scene or about getting new fans.....screw that, what about the CURRENT fans.? I think if people didn't care about guitar work in music then songs from bands like zeppelin, metallica, U2 and gnr still wouldn't still be popular today.?

I don't want CD to appeal to "new" fans.? He should just write some GOOD music and the rest will follow.? I'm not pointing out anyone in particular here by any means, but a lot of posts on here sound like they are from business execs trying to figure out which song will make the most money or something and get the most radio play and stuff.

GNR is rock.? pure, hard core rock, even the slower more melodic songs still rock (SCOM, NR).? Since when has GNR ever been described as having a "pop sound" or "catchy lyrics" -- shit better is even being described as "EMO"!!.? ?I just don't get it.? But as I've said before, I seem to be in the minority here.

I hate to break this to ya but the whole point of a single is to gain exposure and for the most part bands release songs as single which they feel will appeal to  the most people. The more people a single appeals to the more peoplel who are likely to buy the album and discover the other side of the band. I also hate to break it to you but Gn'R is a pop band. SCOM, Don't Cry, November Rain, Yesterdays,  Even paradise City is a pop song. These are pop songs in the rock genre.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: