Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:37:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)  (Read 56762 times)
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #280 on: October 02, 2006, 03:37:12 PM »

If Prostitute is heavier I'd go with that since the name alone would catch people's attention.

That's a good point actually. Everyone is always talking about how Prostitute is going to be one of the best tracks, and they don't know anything but the name Tongue But I like it. Hope it's going to be a great song..

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #281 on: October 02, 2006, 03:44:21 PM »

Something not heard before

Me thinks something both heavy & some signature piano with it - would be the best choice
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #282 on: October 02, 2006, 03:45:34 PM »

The first single had better be something we haven't heard yet, otherwise this project is sunk. The new songs are solid for the most part, but the first thing everyone is going to think when they hear a new GNR single on the radio is "was it worth the wait". Nothing we have heard thus far is going to pass that kind of litmus test, not that anything would. They just need to release the absolute best song they have recorded as the first single and go from there.

Better seems to be everyone around here's choice, but I think the intro is a little too weird with the industrial sounding guitar and Axl's voice for that to be a viable first single. The body of the song is stellar, but it took me a bunch of listens to get past the beginning of the song. However, not everyone is going to listen to it a bunch of times like fan-boys and force themselves to like the way many around here do.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #283 on: October 02, 2006, 03:48:27 PM »

However, if the best song they've recorded happens to be a ballad, the general consensus of the public is that the album will all be like that and not buy it because they think Axl's become "a pussy".  An album is always judged by it's first single... so it has to be something representative of the album as a whole, and I believe the album as a whole will be a heavy rock album with a few ballads thrown in.
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #284 on: October 02, 2006, 03:55:02 PM »

first single, OCTOBER: "Better"

second single, Christmas: "Madagascar"

third single, MARCH: "Chinese Democracy"

fourth single, JULY: "There was a Time"

fifth single, NOVEMBER: "IRS"

*** of course, my opinions....and since I dont know whats going to be on the album, just choosing from songs already present.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #285 on: October 02, 2006, 03:59:58 PM »

we can rule out CD,Madagascar,The Blues, Rhiad and Silkworms as singles.

I believe the first single will be a rocker that we havnt heard yet

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Negleyjj
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #286 on: October 02, 2006, 04:21:47 PM »

For those that think Chinese Democracy, The Blues, and Madagascar won't be singles because Axl said so... That was FOUR years ago. Plans change. Not saying they will be, but it's possible.

Also, based on Merk's "There are at least 10 better songs" comment when IRS leaked, I wouldn't think they'd choose it as a single either.

I think Better would be great. Yeah, it's really complex, really different, etc. but I still think it'll grab everyones attention and such.

But lets think, 9 months ago none of us would have said Better because we had never even heard the title... We really can't say much until we have more info...
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #287 on: October 02, 2006, 04:24:56 PM »

It'll make sense to release one that they've already played live, because then when people first hear it on the radio they'd be reminded of the gig... they'd be thinking, "hey, they played this at Hammerstein", or whatever.  I'm thinking people will buy the single to be reminded of the show.
fixintodie
« Reply #288 on: October 02, 2006, 04:33:33 PM »

It'll make sense to release one that they've already played live, because then when people first hear it on the radio they'd be reminded of the gig... they'd be thinking, "hey, they played this at Hammerstein", or whatever.? I'm thinking people will buy the single to be reminded of the show.

You may be right...it's like hearing a single and buying it when it's already had tons of airplay.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #289 on: October 02, 2006, 04:40:07 PM »

IF it's something we've already heard (a big IF imo). obviously this is just a wild guess, and nothing would surprise me, but my guess is Chinese Democracy.

a few years ago, someone described this song as "grungy". i don't necessarily agree with that assessment, but i do believe it has a sound that can and will appeal to many segments of the rock market.

i think it's a good song to use to introduce the new band. it has elements of old gnr, but it's fresh enough so that it does not sound dated at all.

i also think it makes some sense from a marketing perspective. basically, the CD brand is known even among non-gnr fans. many have heard of it. and when those people hear a new song on the radio called "cd", they will instantly know who it is.

it's catchy and grabs you right away. i would then release "better" next (and maybe sooner than your typical #2 single), which could be a more successful single. but i just think it's a little risky as single #1.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #290 on: October 02, 2006, 04:42:35 PM »

Prostitute  Wink

Just the name "prostitute" will bring interest to the band. This is a single name you remember.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
charlesfosterkane
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #291 on: October 02, 2006, 04:46:20 PM »

it'll be a song we haven't heard yet and it'll probably come out around the same time as the album. if it was better or the blues or any other song we've already heard... well, i think they'd already have it on the radio and itunes and whatever else. the singles will be songs not many people have heard. why else all the secrecy about every aspect of the album if we've already been privy to the singles? whatever the song is i'm sure it'll be a rock song in the way better is a rock song.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #292 on: October 02, 2006, 04:52:24 PM »

we can rule out CD,Madagascar,The Blues, Rhiad and Silkworms as singles.

They can be ruled out as FIRST singles... I think The Blues would do great on the radio once the band has been around for a bit.
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #293 on: October 02, 2006, 05:15:04 PM »

Make a radio version of Better, shorter and with some of all the stuff going on in the middle edited out.

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #294 on: October 02, 2006, 05:21:41 PM »

Make a radio version of Better, shorter and with some of all the stuff going on in the middle edited out.

Brilliant.....?....er.. no

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
dboyd13
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #295 on: October 02, 2006, 05:26:58 PM »

T.D  the new jam that was played all summer. Grin
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #296 on: October 02, 2006, 06:31:37 PM »

My money's on "Better."  Far too catchy of a song, a killer riff, and vocals that (literally) scream "Axl's back."
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #297 on: October 02, 2006, 06:36:28 PM »

Why are people picking songs they haven't heard like Prostitute?  For all we know it could be a 9 minute song with no chorus that isn't a viable single.

From the songs that we've heard the two best singles are Better and The Blues.  Better because it attracts attention to itself right away with the intro and because it's catchy, The Blues because it's a mellow and catchy song with the same vibe as GnR's other hit ballads
GeraldFord
« Reply #298 on: October 02, 2006, 08:18:57 PM »

Better
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #299 on: October 02, 2006, 08:23:52 PM »

Its NOT going to be Better. The first single is going to be the rocker on the album that sounds most like the classic gnr sound. They have to do it that way so they can attract the old fans and the new fans. Better while a great song a lot of people that are causal fans hate it. It will be the hardest rocker on the album that sounds like classic gnr. That is the safest move. That is what they did with UYI and YCMB, that song sounded like and afd song

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: