Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 06:53:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228487 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  NIRVANA, GUNS N' ROSES Classics Among Top Songs Of Past Two Decades
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: NIRVANA, GUNS N' ROSES Classics Among Top Songs Of Past Two Decades  (Read 3850 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: November 27, 2006, 11:36:42 PM »

ABC News reports that NIRVANA's iconic 1991 single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" beat out hits from MADONNA, BRITNEY SPEARS and U2 to be named the best pop song in 20 years by Britain's Q magazine.

In its November issue, which celebrates Q's 20th anniversary, the publication set out to identify the top 20 singles of the past two decades. Their picks range from pop sensations like BRITNEY SPEARS' "?Baby, One More Time", and OUTKAST's "Hey Ya" to THE PRODIGY's punk/techno mix "The Firestarter" and GUNS N' ROSES' hard-edged rock ballad, "Sweet Child O' Mine".

"The thing about 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', it was a watershed moment in rock music. It changed everything," said Q magazine deputy editor Gareth Grundy of the iconic NIRVANA hit. "It put heavy music back on the map in the early 90's, really, that combination of punk-rock anger and the heavy BLACK SABBATH 70's metal. It was something new. Sulky kids everywhere loved NIRVANA and continue to do so."

Read more at ABC News. http://www.abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2682023&page=1

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 11:45:27 PM »

I can not describe the way my blood boils when I see Nirvana in the same league and sometimes beating out GNR on some of these "all-time" and "best of" lists.....
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:52:14 PM »

well, Nirvana and GnR were both very important rock bands that have a lot of similarities. Its true that Nirvana gets credit for doing something that GnR got started: Ending Hair Metal. But whatever.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:52:44 PM »

"It put heavy music back on the map in the early 90's"

Um, are they forgetting how successful Metallica's Black album and GN'R's UYI albums were in the early 90's...? Shocked

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:28:29 AM »

"It put heavy music back on the map in the early 90's"

Um, are they forgetting how successful Metallica's Black album and GN'R's UYI albums were in the early 90's...? Shocked

For some reason the majority of people forget about the Illusions.  I never understand it and I kind of get pissed when people refer to GN'R as an 80's band.  They had some great fucking music in the 90's and probably some of the best music to come out of that decade.  They also had one of the longest tours in the history of music from 1991-1993. 

Who really cares though I guess??  As long as we still love the music they gave us and don't forget it then nobody else's opinion matters.  GN'R won't be an 80's band much longer when CD comes out and HOPEFULLY blows people away that aren't expecting it.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 02:54:07 AM »

Nirvana sucks. "Hair Metal" killed itself. The timing was coincidental at best, and their punk-posteuring was just to cover their radio-friendly pop melodies, heavily being pushed by MTV at the time. If Kurt Cobain hadn't gone and killed himself, they'd be just another footnote, along with the whole corporate produced "Grunge" movement.

And yes, the Illusions are a masterpiece.
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:13:26 AM »

GNR and Metallica killed hair metal. I still don't know why Nirvana gets "credit" for it.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 04:16:22 AM »

HAIR METAL IS DEAD?HuhHuh?? why the fuck didnt someone tell me!

Fuckin Mullet, no wonder people snicker when i walk by. rant rant rant

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 04:31:21 AM »

Nirvana deserves their due... but I hate how they get annointed as the "saviour" band of all things cool and meaningful.... AFD delivered a hard kick to the balls of the music industry and "changed the rules" etc. 4 fucking years before Nevermind... and that's just fucking fact.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 07:32:42 AM »

Are you serious...?

If you took the best six tracks off both albums and made it one then, yes, that would be a masterpiece. But as it is, there is a lot of generic filler on there, and everybody knows this. The Illusions are not masterpieces as they currently are. As much as I love GNR, and Lord knows I do, "Nevermind" is a better record than either UYI in my opinion. Bring on the heat...  nervous
Apollon
Rocker

So bittersweet this tragedy...

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 08:02:16 AM »

Are you serious...?

If you took the best six tracks off both albums and made it one then, yes, that would be a masterpiece. But as it is, there is a lot of generic filler on there, and everybody knows this. The Illusions are not masterpieces as they currently are. As much as I love GNR, and Lord knows I do, "Nevermind" is a better record than either UYI in my opinion. Bring on the heat...? nervous

Really? How many stand-out songs does "Nevermind" have?
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 08:04:11 AM »

Are you serious...?

If you took the best six tracks off both albums and made it one then, yes, that would be a masterpiece. But as it is, there is a lot of generic filler on there, and everybody knows this. The Illusions are not masterpieces as they currently are. As much as I love GNR, and Lord knows I do, "Nevermind" is a better record than either UYI in my opinion. Bring on the heat...? nervous

They're is really only about two or three songs from each of the Illusion albums which are worthless or filler. The rest are at least great songs on a par with many of the songs on Nevermind, and at Most, classic. There are at least 20 songs worthy of Nevermind.

Having said that I like Nevermind as well, but don't listen to it much anymore. SLTS, Come As You Are, Something in The Way, Territorial Pissings, Breed, all great songs. But all the songs on the Illusions are so different. They're my two favourite albums and they are masterpieces. There are so many songs on the Illusions which people never talk about which are in fact, classics, e.g. Dust N' Bones, Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, Double Talkin' Jive, The Garden, Don't Damn Me, Dead Horse, 14 Years, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, etc.

Add in the more popular ones like Coma, Estranged, November Rain, Don't Cry, Civil War, You Could Be Mine, and you've got two amazing albums.

To compare the two look at this way; take Don't Damn Me. Nobody outside GnR fanatics know this that well, it's considered an average GnR song. If GnR had put out the albums combined as one CD, it wouldn't have made it. But it's still better than most of the songs on Nevermind.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:09:32 AM by estrangedpaul » Logged

marino95
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 09:49:47 AM »

I agree that GNR and Metallica killed hair metal......  and am also annoyed by all the Nirvana credit given after the fact.

The funny thing is, Nevermind and Ten were both out BEFORE UYI and the Black Album.  GNR and Metallica were still the biggest bands in the world for a while after that.  Plus, I think what annoys me the most is that Nirvana was IMO the worst of the 4 Seattle bands from that era.  AIC and Soundgarden don't get nearly enough credit.

It's also funny how dated some of the Nirvana stuff sounds now - as opposed to Jungle & some of the other GNR classics.

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
5/28/04 VR - Wash DC (9:30 Club)
5/12/06 New York (1st show)
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 09:57:38 AM »

We are talking about the classics of the past two decades, so please anyone, tell me why Nirvana should not be there? 'Cause grunge ran over 'hair-metal'?

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
GeraldFord
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 10:55:18 AM »

Are you serious...?

Everybody knows this? Ever heard of something called "an opinion"? It is MY opinion that the UYI Illusion albums are far better than nevermind, and I don't give a shit what any so-called rock expert has to say. My opinion is as valid as the head-geek over at AMG, SPIN or NME.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 12:43:50 PM »

ABC News reports that NIRVANA's iconic 1991 single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" beat out hits from MADONNA, BRITNEY SPEARS and U2 to be named the best pop song in 20 years by Britain's Q magazine.

In its November issue, which celebrates Q's 20th anniversary, the publication set out to identify the top 20 singles of the past two decades. Their picks range from pop sensations like BRITNEY SPEARS' "?Baby, One More Time", and OUTKAST's "Hey Ya" to THE PRODIGY's punk/techno mix "The Firestarter" and GUNS N' ROSES' hard-edged rock ballad, "Sweet Child O' Mine".

"The thing about 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', it was a watershed moment in rock music. It changed everything," said Q magazine deputy editor Gareth Grundy of the iconic NIRVANA hit. "It put heavy music back on the map in the early 90's, really, that combination of punk-rock anger and the heavy BLACK SABBATH 70's metal. It was something new. Sulky kids everywhere loved NIRVANA and continue to do so."

Read more at ABC News. http://www.abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2682023&page=1

Nirvana did not put heavy music back on the map. Metallica put heavy music back on the map.

That's a fact, that these freakin' Cobain ball lickers seem to forget...

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 12:48:03 PM »

I don't care what anyone says....... rant

Axl is  wayyyyyyyyyyyyy.........  more creative and talented than all of them. ok beer
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:49:47 PM by Crowebar » Logged
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 04:01:43 PM »

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion.  If you don't like Nirvana, there's nothing wrong with that.  That's your opinion and your entitled to it.  But to say that Nirvana doesn't belong in as one of the most important bands, songs, albums, etc. is just wrong.  Were you asleep for 5 years in the early 90s?  How can you say the band would have been a footnote?  In Utero outsold UYI 1 before Cobain's death,  their unplugged performance was receiving heavy critical acclaim...again, before his death.  Regardless, Nirvana is here to stay. 

GNR and Metallica didn't kill hair metal.  Hair metal killed itself.  Hair metal was never good to begin with.  Oh sure some bands had some good material.  Cinderella, early Whitesnake, Def Leppard first two albums, etc. but on the whole, most of the music was pop versions of metal music...knock-offs of Van Halen, David Bowie, and Led Zeppelin.  Metallica defined metal.  They were the band that set the mold for true metal music in the 80s.  That is why they have survived. 

GNR...was not metal.  They are a rock band.  A hard rock band.  They were unfairly looped in with metal.  But what GNR had that most glam/hair metal didn't have...is range!  Their songs had depth and texture.  But despite all this, hair metal still stuck around for 5 more years.  It was just the mode that the country was in.  Maybe defined by the cowboy political environment...but alternative music, despite its underground following...wasn't selling a lot of albums.

Metallica and GNR both has massive hit albums in the midst of an alternative revolution.  Why?  Because both bands were talented beyond the confines of their genre.  Nirvana just opened people's ears more than anything to different genres.  Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, RATM, NIN, and Soundgarden, AIC, STP all had equal hands in what happened.  Nirvana is given most of the credit because they were really the first. 

Were they first because they were great or great because they were first?  Well, that should really be the debate.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 04:03:21 PM »

why have nirvana in the title of the thread rant hihi
gummyfish
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 04:04:06 PM »

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion.? If you don't like Nirvana, there's nothing wrong with that.? That's your opinion and your entitled to it.? But to say that Nirvana doesn't belong in as one of the most important bands, songs, albums, etc. is just wrong.? Were you asleep for 5 years in the early 90s?? How can you say the band would have been a footnote?? In Utero outsold UYI 1 before Cobain's death,? their unplugged performance was receiving heavy critical acclaim...again, before his death.? Regardless, Nirvana is here to stay.?

GNR and Metallica didn't kill hair metal.? Hair metal killed itself.? Hair metal was never good to begin with.? Oh sure some bands had some good material.? Cinderella, early Whitesnake, Def Leppard first two albums, etc. but on the whole, most of the music was pop versions of metal music...knock-offs of Van Halen, David Bowie, and Led Zeppelin.? Metallica defined metal.? They were the band that set the mold for true metal music in the 80s.? That is why they have survived.?

GNR...was not metal.? They are a rock band.? A hard rock band.? They were unfairly looped in with metal.? But what GNR had that most glam/hair metal didn't have...is range!? Their songs had depth and texture.? But despite all this, hair metal still stuck around for 5 more years.? It was just the mode that the country was in.? Maybe defined by the cowboy political environment...but alternative music, despite its underground following...wasn't selling a lot of albums.

Metallica and GNR both has massive hit albums in the midst of an alternative revolution.? Why?? Because both bands were talented beyond the confines of their genre.? Nirvana just opened people's ears more than anything to different genres.? Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, RATM, NIN, and Soundgarden, AIC, STP all had equal hands in what happened.? Nirvana is given most of the credit because they were really the first.?

Were they first because they were great or great because they were first?? Well, that should really be the debate.

well said.........but i still fucking hate cobain.. rant..that pussy.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: