Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 08:17:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Could the record company be in the way of a release?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could the record company be in the way of a release?  (Read 12846 times)
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« on: November 24, 2006, 02:45:05 AM »

Just found this old interview from 2001. Interesting.

Axl interview Rock & Pop FM Argentina
Rock & Pop FM, January 22nd 2001

R&P: We know that Chinese Democracy will be released in June, but we wanted to know what the reasons are for taking so long before releasing the album?

Axl: We hadn't written songs or recorded for many years. There were band changes and there were many changes in the record company.People in the record company had many opinions and they wanted to make the best possible record. Every time that we thought that we had the correct songs, then somebody thought that we could make it better. We started over, we continued adding songs, continued recording and recording. I think that when we release the album, it's gonna be something that I'm gonna be proud of and confident in. Then, we will also have an extra heap of songs. This band has played only been together for six weeks before Rio. So it is still very new for them to play together as band, with Robin (Finck) and Buckethead. That was a surprise. Obviously, that was the correct decision to make, but it was not originally planned to have three guitarists.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 02:50:56 AM »

Wow I have never read that interview before.

I say the record label have a lot to do with it.

In my Opinion GNR were never built on Singles.

They are a great song, listen to the entire album type band.

So maybe the Record label wanted Axl to come up with 3 or 4 Sure Fire HITS before they'd release it.

Before anyone starts, this isnt a diss.

Its just GNR dont do the conventional 3 and a half minute radio friendly single.

Maybe the record label was afraid that the style of GNR wouldnt work like it did cause of how messed up domestic radio is these days.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Hysteron
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 02:51:13 AM »

but it was not originally planned to have three guitarists.

That meant something what was it?
Saikin
Headliner

Legend in the Making

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 03:09:42 AM »

Great point.  I think that the band wasn't planning on having 3 guitarists, but Bucket was brought in to work on a few tracks and they decided he should stay.  Also interesting to think the record label has turned down CD a few times.  There it is, black and white.  Proof right there.  CD HAS been rejected.   yes

Some say it's hairy, others say it's scary
I call it Sidedish

www.gunsnthejungle.com
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 03:47:32 AM »

Great point.? I think that the band wasn't planning on having 3 guitarists, but Bucket was brought in to work on a few tracks and they decided he should stay.? Also interesting to think the record label has turned down CD a few times.? There it is, black and white.? Proof right there.? CD HAS been rejected.? ?yes

bucket was in the band and robin came back from NIN.

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 04:01:40 AM »

That's correct, Buckethead was to be Finck's replacement after he left to do the Fragility tour with NIN. When Finck suddenly returned, Buckethead's fingerprints were now already all over the album and the new band and so he stayed on. When Buckethead left, that's a big part of the GN'R disappearance from between the end of the ill-fated '02 tour and this past year's activities. With the way the songs were now arranged and had been played, should he continue with just Finck as sole lead guitarist or should Buckethead himself be replaced? Don't forget there was a long wait to see if Buckethead might come back or somehow be persuaded to return. Axl even considered taking on a guitar role in the live band himself, briefly (that would have been...odd). And so, Bumblefoot, a most excellent, fusion-style player. I enjoy his new role in the band far more than I was expecting. It should always be noted, however, that Robin Finck is the direct replacement to Slash upon his departure, and himself was a member of the band alongside "classic" Gunners like Duff and Matt. It really was never envisioned as a two lead band. Robin was it until he left.
2007what!
Banned
Rocker

Shut Up And Be A Victim Of Authority

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 04:06:12 AM »

That's correct, Buckethead was to be Finck's replacement after he left to do the Fragility tour with NIN. When Finck suddenly returned, Buckethead's fingerprints were now already all over the album and the new band and so he stayed on. When Buckethead left, that's a big part of the GN'R disappearance from between the end of the ill-fated '02 tour and this past year's activities. With the way the songs were now arranged and had been played, should he continue with just Finck as sole lead guitarist or should Buckethead himself be replaced? Don't forget there was a long wait to see if Buckethead might come back or somehow be persuaded to return. Axl even considered taking on a guitar role in the live band himself, briefly (that would have been...odd). And so, Bumblefoot, a most excellent, fusion-style player. I enjoy his new role in the band far more than I was expecting. It should always be noted, however, that Robin Finck is the direct replacement to Slash upon his departure, and himself was a member of the band alongside "classic" Gunners like Duff and Matt. It really was never envisioned as a two lead band. Robin was it until he left.

very true. who was it that introduced axl to robin again? was it matt? i can't remember, i read it a long time ago. i've also read stories about how axl came in and said that robin is now the new guitarist, not slash, but this was in an interview with one of the former gunners so i wouldn't take it as truth unless axl or robin backs it up.

you can find him at the pub with the grub stain chuggin on a small tub of pain to his bugged brain
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 04:10:05 AM »

True, and Robin does get the majority of the leads out of the three guys.   He's the clear leader of the guitarists.

However, I recall a Gilby interview (i'll post if I find it) where he said part of why he ended up quit/getting himself fired was because he didn't want to play in a 3 guitar band and Axl wanted 3 guitar players.

I think the way the guitar playing is done in this band is fucking brilliant with their different styles.   I love how on November Rain each guy gets his solo.

on the topic of the thread, I really dont know..  who knows what has caused all the delay.  Huh
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 04:20:33 AM »

True, and Robin does get the majority of the leads out of the three guys.   He's the clear leader of the guitarists.

However, I recall a Gilby interview (i'll post if I find it) where he said part of why he ended up quit/getting himself fired was because he didn't want to play in a 3 guitar band and Axl wanted 3 guitar players.

I think the way the guitar playing is done in this band is fucking brilliant with their different styles.   I love how on November Rain each guy gets his solo.

on the topic of the thread, I really dont know..  who knows what has caused all the delay.  Huh

Yes, you're right come to think of it. Matt had introduced Axl to Robin as a guitarist who would play well with Slash, after recording with Slash and Zakk Wylde together hadn't gone to anyone's liking. At the time Axl was going for two leads plus a rhythm. By this point, Axl and Slash were too far gone and Robin happened to work out really well with where the band was going, in Axl's eyes. According to Matt, Axl said that "He would be a great replacement for Slash." In the summer of '97 Finck officially joined GN'R as their lead guitar player. Paul Huge was rhythm. I guess Axl abandoned the thought of needing a second lead once Finck took over, and something tells me he never intended for Slash to actually stay long enough to record with a new guitarist. Remember this was all coming right after the first Snakepit album, and Slash's involvement in the band was at a real weird place, especially since "Sympathy for the Devil."
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 04:33:09 AM »

On the subject of the topic, It's possible that when changes happen inside a company, "products" can be delayed. It's the same with the music industry.

I remember Bon Jovi's "Crush" was scheduled for a release in 1999, but then Mercury, band's label, was bought by Universal and Island Def Jam. Then the album's producer, the late Bruce Fairbairn died in may the same year. Point is, the album was delayed and was finally released at the end of 2000 (june I think).

So, It can be the same with Chinese Democracy. Changes in the company, legal bullshit, etc.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:34:54 AM by NicoRourke » Logged

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 07:04:36 AM »

Wow I have never read that interview before.

I say the record label have a lot to do with it.

Here is the whole interview : http://www.rosesofvelvet.com/forum/index.php?topic=2952.15

It is a very good read. It may be helpful to understand what's going on... Wink

I'll download it !
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 07:13:33 AM »

The same interview has been here since 2001....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Longpig
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 07:48:04 AM »

On the subject of the topic, It's possible that when changes happen inside a company, "products" can be delayed. It's the same with the music industry.

I remember Bon Jovi's "Crush" was scheduled for a release in 1999, but then Mercury, band's label, was bought by Universal and Island Def Jam. Then the album's producer, the late Bruce Fairbairn died in may the same year. Point is, the album was delayed and was finally released at the end of 2000 (june I think).

So, It can be the same with Chinese Democracy. Changes in the company, legal bullshit, etc.

Where do you live that June is the end of the year?!!

LP
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 08:16:04 AM »

The same interview has been here since 2001....

/jarmo

thanks for the link jarmo  Smiley
gmGnR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 11:12:59 AM »

Where do you live that June is the end of the year?!!

LP

I second that.... rofl

Paris - 06/06/1992
Paris - 07/13/1993
NYC - 12/05/2002
NYC - 05/12/2006
NYC - 05/14/2006
NYC - 05/17/2006,
E. Rutherford - 11/05/2006
NYC - 11/10/2006
Mark7955
Rocker

Democracy is Here...

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »

The record company is deffinetly holding back the release of Chinese Democracy  rant

"The fire is burnin' and it's outta control, it's not a problem you can stop, it's ROCK N' ROLL!"
"With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothin' done"

11/20/06 - Halifax, NS
ZRO
Rocker

Does this look infected?

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 12:59:08 PM »

Of course, it's always someone else's fault, never Axl. Damned record company! Roll Eyes
The General
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 01:05:23 PM »

Yeah to hell with the record company. Its definitive the record companys fault.
Lets attack them in some kind of way.
gnrbus
Opening Act

Chinese Democracy Starts When?

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 01:21:30 PM »

How could the record company stand in the way of an album that probably has no intention of ever being released?

It's all Axl's bullshit.
Edward Rose
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 02:11:19 PM »

It doesn't sound like the rec comp was "in the way." It sounds more like they were giving Axl oppinions and he was taking them into consideration.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: