Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 12:15:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Oasis
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oasis  (Read 119711 times)
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #300 on: December 25, 2005, 06:40:51 PM »

10 weird facts of Oasis.  Grin

http://www.edge.ca/station/ongoing_history_of_new_music.cfm?recID=11&ell=8943&pge=1

click above to hear it... good for a listen if you've got an hour to kill...

intro

*lyla played*

10 -- "they have too much rock star cash for the comfort of the queen's banker"

notes:

-if creation/sony puts out a greatest hits, the band gets 23 million dollars up front (dont know if i heard that right but explains why sony hasn't done one yet)
-Gem started out at 200 dollars a week... while noel takes 48% of all profits
-the queen's bank in england (forget the name) wouldn't accept them when they first tried to open an account

*rock n roll star played*

09 -- "The Tony Maccarol Saga"

notes:

-fired for being "a bad drummer"
-loophole in original 1993 contract allowed noel to fire whoever, whenever, with no severence or back-pay
-sued for 25million but a 5year statute of limitations held and expired in 2000
-settled for $550,000

*live forever played*

08 -- "Cartoons"

notes:

-smurfs asked if they could use oasis songs in a special, noel refused
-spongebob squarepants, however, would get automatic approval

07 -- "Supernova Heights and real estate"

notes:

-noel's japanese leather headboard $24,000
-fishtank is so heavy, the foundation had to be re-enforced
-bought a country house in buckhamshire with a buddhist temple by the pool... but noel's not buddhist
-Noel Gallagher-outrageous collector of real estate

*hindu times played*

06 -- "Imitation is the sincerist form of flattery"

notes:

-oasis tribute band called NoWaySis
-demand for anything oasis was so big in the mid-90s, this song became a top 10 single

*mike flowers pops version of wonderwall played*

05 -- "tales of plagerism"

notes:

-while rehearsing DM, a band down the hall taped a note to the door saying "get your own riffs!"
-go let it out lifted from RL Sharpe's, Poems that Touch the Heart
-band doesn't owe royalties because Sharpe died in 1950, the 50 year copyright thus expired in 2000 making the work "public domain" as of jan 1, 2000

*go let it out played*

04 -- "nude photos?"

notes:

-150,000 offer in 1993 for the boys to pose nude in a women's mag

03 -- "Drugs!"

notes:

-in noel's early teens, his mom found something (hash) wrapped in tinfoil in his sock drawer, noel claimed it was something all the big stars used on their guitar strings to make them sound better... he wiped the hash all over the strings and convinced his mom that the strings did infact sound better so she left him be

-to get him going, noel would sprinkle cocaine on his corn flakes in the morning
-bonehead used to drink mini shampoo bottles in hotel rooms because they "smelled nice"
-liam was a cigarettes and alcohol kinda guy with coke on the menu frequently

*cigarettes and alcohol played*

02 -- "Wibbling Rivalry"

notes:

-midnight interview about Supersonic with noel and liam

*profanity-laced clip from Wibbling Rivalry played*

-this goes on for 14 long minutes
-Fierce Panda released it, it reached 52 on the singles chart, highest interview disc of all time

01 -- "Liam Gallagher - Best Man-Boobs, 2005!"

notes:

-magazine released a list of the top man-boobs in entertainment
-dude must be able to fill a bra
-matt damon, ozzy osbourne's son, were all on the list
-must've been all that beer...

*acquiesce played*

5 bonus facts!

5. most expensive collectable Vox Box, 9CDs, creation used it as a give away
$2500 canadian

4. dec 31st, 1999... noel refused to release anything around this date because he thought Y2K would affect computers used to calculate chart positions

3. Elsa is... a dog in the studio, was fed alka-seltzer and became gaseuos

2. liam's dream post-oasis is to get into professional boxing

1. british researches divided 11,000 children into 3 groups:

one group listened to classical music, one to talk radio, one to alternative rock (mostly oasis)
each group was given the same IQ test...
the alternative rock group scored 4% higher than the other two groups

oasis is good for the brain.

rofl rofl
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #301 on: December 25, 2005, 08:14:16 PM »

-the queen's bank in england (forget the name) wouldn't accept them when they first tried to open an account

The Bank of England

-if creation/sony puts out a greatest hits, the band gets 23 million dollars up front (dont know if i heard that right but explains why sony hasn't done one yet)

I believe that less than I do rumours of Chinese Democracy scheduled for a release in the next 800,000 years
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 08:16:24 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #302 on: December 26, 2005, 05:45:08 AM »

The Bank of England

I believe that less than I do rumours of Chinese Democracy scheduled for a release in the next 800,000 years

I copied and pasted from the soapbox. Their contract is almost finished with sony, and Oasis wont be signing a new one.
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #303 on: December 27, 2005, 10:04:16 AM »

BILL HARRIS -- Toronto Sun

The dismissal of Oasis as nothing more than a Beatles copy band is the most lazy musical analysis ever foisted upon the public.

Through sheer repetition, it has been accepted as truth by people who couldn't name or even identify three Oasis songs.

But as the Gallagher brothers themselves might say: Don't believe the truth.

Let's make one thing clear: I'm the biggest Beatles guy ever. As wide as my tastes are, John, Paul, George and Ringo have been No. 1 on my depth chart from the time I was a humming infant.

And, for the record, I think Oasis is brilliant.

Not every Oasis song is a gem (not every Beatles song was, either). And not every utterance from the tart tongue of Noel Gallagher, or the marble mouth of Liam Gallagher, is worthy of inscription on a plaque in their hometown of Manchester, England.

But for my entertainment buck, the batting average of Oasis -- as singers, songwriters and occasionally outrageous personalities -- continues to be far higher than any of its contemporaries.

Respecting both the Beatles and Oasis, rather than pitting them against each other in a bizarre cross-generational rivalry, won't endear me to everyone, I suppose.

And a lot of folks won't like this, either, but here goes: While I recognize the quality of fellow British bands such as Radiohead and Coldplay, I find them to be, well, a little dour and dull.

Oasis songs, on the other hand, make me want to pick up my guitar and learn how to play them.

Noel Gallagher, the driving force behind Oasis, once said, "We've only got half a dozen good bands in England -- there's Oasis and there's five Oasis tribute bands."

Really, how can you not love a quote like that? But there are plenty who openly cheer for Oasis to fail as punishment for such audacity, whether you take Noel at his word or think he's just screwing around.

Oasis-bashing has become a rock-critic cliche. In response, fans of the group have developed a bunker mentality as they continue to buy tickets to concerts and sing along to almost every song.

Most reviews of the band's new CD, Don't Believe The Truth, have fallen between "not as bad as their worst" and "not as good as their best." That last charge is something Oasis always will have to live with, and it amounts to the price of past success.

Since Oasis burst to the front of the Brit-pop scene in the mid-1990s with two seminal albums -- the impudently catchy Definitely Maybe and the anthem-laden (What's The Story) Morning Glory? -- the Gallaghers constantly have been reminded how each subsequent effort has not measured up. Alanis Morissette, coincidentally, has gone through much the same thing in the past 10 years, post-Jagged Little Pill, and you probably can point to other examples as well.

Not every Oasis CD has been a gem. But how many artists who have been around as long as Oasis can claim to be clunker-free? To my ear, on average, Oasis still has more good songs per CD than the norm. Regardless, many critics continue to focus on the worst of Oasis rather than the best.

Oasis has taken far more abuse than has been warranted. Really, in this God-forsaken era of sampling-addicted rap artists and American Idol squealers topping the charts with the most formulaic drivel in the history of recorded sound, how did Oasis ever become the poster-boys for alleged musical thievery?

Not only is it not fair, it's not accurate.

Listen to Rock 'n' Roll Star, or The Hindu Times, or Lyla, the single from the new CD. The Beatles never sounded like that, folks. Listen to everything Oasis has to offer, rather than picking and choosing certain songs to prove some point about how derivative the band is.

Oasis has its own sound. I can pick it out a mile away.

Do some Oasis songs remind you of Beatles songs? Absolutely. But guess what? Oasis is a British group that plays hard-driving, melodic rock and roll. There are going to be similarities, to the Beatles, to the Who, to T-Rex, to countless others.

I had a good laugh last year when, for the first time in decades, I heard a Rolling Stones song from the mid-1960s called Child Of The Moon. It's the closest thing to an Oasis song that isn't actually an Oasis song I ever have heard, right down to Mick Jagger's vocal. All that's missing is updated instrumentation and Liam's voice, and it would fit snugly onto any Oasis CD.

The point is, just about everything sounds a little like something that came before, if you listen hard enough and have a musical library wide enough to recognize it. Heck, the Raveonettes, a critically acclaimed group from Denmark that played at Lee's Palace in Toronto last weekend, owe much of their sound to the Jesus and Mary Chain and almost all of their harmonies to the Everly Brothers. But no one seems to be up in arms about that.

So why does Oasis get picked on so much?

Part of it has to do with the magnitude of the band's profile. But Oasis also has paid for its perceived arrogance, which I find endearing and even humourous, but others do not.

I recall several years ago when Oasis was playing at Molson Park in Barrie. When Noel Gallagher emerged from backstage, he greeted the assembled throng with the words, "Show some respect for the best f---ing band on the planet!"

I thought it was great. To have the nerve to say that, especially in front of a Canadian crowd that primarily was on hand to see Neil Young, showed incredible rock-and-roll bravado. But as Oasis ducked a shower of plastic water bottles for the rest of the afternoon, I had to listen to the grumbling of those around me who thought Noel's words somehow were inappropriate.

Noel's proclamations through the years -- whether he's bragging unrepentently, or ripping himself, or ripping his bands' rivals, or ripping his brother -- have provided me with more chuckles than any stand-up comedian. He's full of bombast. Personally, I think his musical resume gives him the right to say just about anything he wants. But even if you don't agree, why can't everyone just lighten up? When did popular music become so serious?

That the United States largely has shunned Oasis because of the band's arrogance is the height of irony. It appears the U.S. appreciates "attitude" only when it's homegrown.

But Oasis is not exclusively about crazy quotes and battlin' brothers. It comes back to the music, and I am of the strong opinion that Oasis does not get the credit it deserves.

Oasis still takes me someplace.

A place where guitars still are loud.

A place where singers still sneer.

A place where songs still have tunes, not just beats.

Call it my own personal Oasis.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #304 on: December 27, 2005, 11:49:53 AM »

Which is why i don't like the new album - not one of those statements applies to it, whereas it did for previous offerings.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #305 on: December 27, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »

Which is why i don't like the new album - not one of those statements applies to it, whereas it did for previous offerings.

the album is full of sneer though, turn up the sun is LOUD and HUGE, as is Lyla, Let there be love doesn't do anything for you? its the best album closer since champagne supernova, although Roll it over is fuckin amazin too.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #306 on: December 27, 2005, 02:30:57 PM »

Let there be love, Great song, but really influenced by The Beatles.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #307 on: December 27, 2005, 03:32:49 PM »

Let there be love, Great song, but really influenced by The Beatles.

yeah. And. So? What? 99% of music is influenced by the beatles.

Does it make it a worse song because of that. Or does rock and roll star become worse for sounding like t-rex.

Enjoy it for what it is.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #308 on: December 27, 2005, 05:54:34 PM »

Never said it was worse man... but I think Oasis more than any other mainstream band is influenced by Beatles, wich is not bad cause Beatles made the best mainstream music ever.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #309 on: December 27, 2005, 06:56:04 PM »

the album is full of sneer though, turn up the sun is LOUD and HUGE, as is Lyla, Let there be love doesn't do anything for you? its the best album closer since champagne supernova, although Roll it over is fuckin amazin too.

Not a track on that album i consider was worth recording.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #310 on: December 27, 2005, 07:24:31 PM »

I enjoy the new album.  The Importance of Being Idle is one of Noels finest moments in years.  Even Liam is growing into a decent song writer, nothing compared to big brother, but decent in his own right I guess.  Lyla didn't really appeal to me at first, but after listening to it many times, it grew on me.  Turn up the Sun, Mucky Fingers, Guess God Thinks I'm Abel, Let there be Love, Love like a bomb, I think are all solid songs.  I'm not going to compare it to the old Oasis shit cause that would be stupid.  Everyone knows what Noel wrote from 1994 to 98, was some of the best music, I think, anyone (Oasis anyway) has ever written.  I'm probably being biased though.  I've been a huge Oasis fan since the beginning and have over 200 bootlegs and I pretty much tend to like just about everything that they put out.  They are my second favorite band of all time right behind GNR and I mean RIGHT behind GNR.  But anyway, to anyone who hasn't heard the new album yet or are considering buying it, check it out.  You will either love it or hate it.  But give it a couple tries if you don't like it and it may grow on you.
Happy Holidays everyone.  I hope everyone on the board has a fun and SAFE new year.  Peace.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #311 on: December 27, 2005, 07:41:23 PM »

This is what Oasis may be up to in the next month.  I got the article from Live4ever.us.

Back to studio for new single ?

GALLAGHER LETS BROTHER IN ON PLANS

OASIS rocker NOEL GALLAGHER has plans to work on a new single written by his brother LIAM, but hasn't told him yet.

Noel, the oldest of the rock siblings, knows it will take some persuasion to get Liam back into the recording studio after a year spent on the road, but thinks the song is too good not to release as a stand-alone single.

He says, "Liam's got this tune that's left over from the sessions called THE BOY WITH THE BLUES, which he got in a right f**king a**e about and it could've been on the record.

"And I would like to - because we've got a month off in January, we've got all of January off - I'd like to get back into the studio to add a bit more to it.

"I haven't spoke to Liam about this. This'll be the first he hears of it when he reads it now and he'll be like, 'What the f**k are you on about?'

"I'd like to put it out as a one-off single, 'cos if we spend January recording it and mixing it, it could be out for the summer.

"It's got a chant at the end. There's not much of a chorus to speak of, which is why it didn't go on the album.

"DAVE SARDY (producer) was like, 'It needs a chorus,' but it's got this chant at the end where the words go, 'Come all together/if we come all together/We'll come all together for you."'

source: contactmusic

I would love for Oasis to release a non-album track as a single in a few months.  I don't think they have done that since they released Whatever in 1994.  Speaking of Whatever, Why the fucking hell wasn't that song on Definitely Maybe???  I would have taken Digsy's Diner right off of there.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #312 on: December 27, 2005, 09:20:54 PM »

it would've stopped the flow of the album. All the songs on definetly maybe flow as they're all similar in sound (with the obvious exception of married with chilren which gets in because its fantastic).

It's like saying you should put patience and november rain on appetite instead of anything goes and think about you. Yeah, sure they existed at that time and could've been on the album but it would've messed with the flow.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #313 on: December 28, 2005, 09:25:35 AM »

"Bring it on Down" is one of the LOUDEST song I have ever heard Live  Shocked
amazing!

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #314 on: December 28, 2005, 03:10:06 PM »

I would love for Oasis to release a non-album track as a single in a few months.? I don't think they have done that since they released Whatever in 1994.? Speaking of Whatever, Why the fucking hell wasn't that song on Definitely Maybe?Huh I would have taken Digsy's Diner right off of there.

I'm assuming its because they couldn't afford the costs of getting the orchestral parts added in on their album advance - and with the money DM generated they went back and did it

They released Whatever only a month or so after the last single from DM, just in time for Xmas '94

I think it should have been put on WTSMG, even if it was only as a bonus track

Why hasn't DM been re-released with Whatever and Sad Song included? Are the record label just stupid? A brilliant way to make a few million at zero cost especially with Oasis being on top of the world right now

Quick! To the bandwagon!
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #315 on: December 29, 2005, 09:00:53 AM »

Here's the best of what pop and rock stars had to say to yours truly in 2005:

2005 RANT OF THE YEAR

Noel Gallagher of Oasis wins the prize for best quote as he summed up Live 8 to the Sun's Jane Stevenson:

"But I don't like the way that somebody suddenly decides that all the bands in England are going to fookin' play and everybody jumps to attention.

"No, it's the general thing that rock stars should be doing something to fookin' sort this out.

"The fate of the African continent does not fookin' depend on a load of fookin' musicians in Hyde Park singing fookin' shit songs to kids. And they're saying they're fookin' raising awareness for it.

"If you're not aware of it by now, you can be aware of it for the half-hour. But I bet you that 99% of that audience will walk out while they're still eating McDonald's on the way home and won't realize that by actually standing in McDonald's you're perpetuating poverty in some way.

"I think, more effective is taking out some of the fookin' government leaders in Africa and starting again, really. A crook is a crook right? Saddam Hussein sat on a load of oil, right? Look at (Zimbabwe president Robert) Mugabe, sat on a load of shit. So he gets to perpetuate evil against his people.

"Team America -- the American army -- should be in Africa, shouldn't they? All the little puppets going around taking out African leaders. That would be my solution to it. Well, I mean if they really want to do good for the world. That's what I'd do.

"I don't believe pop music, or Annie Lennox singing Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) is going to do anybody any favours, apart from Annie Lennox."
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #316 on: December 29, 2005, 08:36:45 PM »

Here's the best of what pop and rock stars had to say to yours truly in 2005:

2005 RANT OF THE YEAR

Noel Gallagher of Oasis wins the prize for best quote as he summed up Live 8 to the Sun's Jane Stevenson:

"But I don't like the way that somebody suddenly decides that all the bands in England are going to fookin' play and everybody jumps to attention.

"No, it's the general thing that rock stars should be doing something to fookin' sort this out.

"The fate of the African continent does not fookin' depend on a load of fookin' musicians in Hyde Park singing fookin' shit songs to kids. And they're saying they're fookin' raising awareness for it.

"If you're not aware of it by now, you can be aware of it for the half-hour. But I bet you that 99% of that audience will walk out while they're still eating McDonald's on the way home and won't realize that by actually standing in McDonald's you're perpetuating poverty in some way.

"I think, more effective is taking out some of the fookin' government leaders in Africa and starting again, really. A crook is a crook right? Saddam Hussein sat on a load of oil, right? Look at (Zimbabwe president Robert) Mugabe, sat on a load of shit. So he gets to perpetuate evil against his people.

"Team America -- the American army -- should be in Africa, shouldn't they? All the little puppets going around taking out African leaders. That would be my solution to it. Well, I mean if they really want to do good for the world. That's what I'd do.

"I don't believe pop music, or Annie Lennox singing Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) is going to do anybody any favours, apart from Annie Lennox."

Indeed

He's right - people cared about the music but what it was for escaped them - and the idea a few bands could make a difference anyway

How many of the bands involved donated some of their fortune to the cause? Not many i'd imagine

Quick! To the bandwagon!
grendood
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #317 on: January 02, 2006, 03:42:46 PM »

Liam is God in this video  Cool
http://www.youtube.com/w/Oasis--d%27You-know-what-I-mean?v=PwMsQ9rhGCs&search=Oasis
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #318 on: January 02, 2006, 10:59:43 PM »

Oasis killed "I am the walrus" by the Beatles...   Cry
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #319 on: January 04, 2006, 04:03:32 PM »

Oasis killed "I am the walrus" by the Beatles...? ?Cry

U kididng? Their version is superb ''i don't care if its outta tune...'' - the Beatles never had enough solo's for my liking anyway

Their versions of cum on feel the noize and my generation sound as if they were originally written by Oasis, Liam's vocals work so well with both - damnit, put out a covers album, and include those tracks!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: