Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 02:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Fans protest over Hobbit decision
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fans protest over Hobbit decision  (Read 6111 times)
T_Roxie
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:10:18 PM »

From BBC News:

The decision to drop Oscar-winner Peter Jackson as director of The Hobbit film has led to an online petition of 1,100 people asking for him to be reinstated.
A website has also been set up urging a boycott of producer New Line Cinema, and fans have used weblogs and forums to question the studio's judgement.

Jackson refused to discuss a follow-up to his Lord of the Rings trilogy until a dispute about DVD royalties was over.

But New Line said it had only "limited time" and was proceeding without him.

A petition created this week on the Petition Online website - and signed by more than 1,100 people - called for The Hobbit to be filmed "the way it was meant to be or not at all".

The petition said that a Hobbit movie without Peter Jackson and his writers and special effects team was not what fans wanted.

"The characters and scenery will all be new and unfamiliar and props, costumes, and the backdrop of New Zealand will all be lost," it said.

"Most likely even the original actors will not sign on to do it - can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing Gandalf the Grey?"

Sign the petition here: http://www.petitiononline.com/hobnow/petition.html
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 03:53:51 PM »

I was #1695!

I love what Peter Jackson did with the LOTR trilogy, I think it's only right that he be brought back since he knows what he is doing.
Dirty Little Thing
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 03:57:35 PM »

I signed, # 1699

In fact the Hobbit was my favorite book of the series, so if some other director ruined it, I would be royally pissed off.  Angry
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 04:01:13 PM »

THIS IS CRAPPY NEWS
 rant

fixintodie
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 04:11:31 PM »

People protesting over Hobbits. There's a cause I can get behind Tongue
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 06:08:21 PM »

Wow - interesting.

I love Peter Jackson's LotR films but maybe a new director would be better for this film.? The Hobbit has a very different feel to the other 3 books, it's a lot more simple and...pleasent.? It's all very English, you know?? I can't see Jackson pulling it off - he'll make it MASSIVE and do a MASSIVE battle scene and it'll all be irritatingly MASSIVE.

However, the loss of New Zealand and the props and cast would be a MASSIVE blow and for that reason alone I will sign this petition.? I don't trust Hollywood not to ruin everything!

#2238 Kiss
fixintodie
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 06:17:04 PM »

Wow - interesting.

I love Peter Jackson's LotR films but maybe a new director would be better for this film.? The Hobbit has a very different feel to the other 3 books, it's a lot more simple and...pleasent.? It's all very English, you know?? I can't see Jackson pulling it off - he'll make it MASSIVE and do a MASSIVE battle scene and it'll all be irritatingly MASSIVE.

However, the loss of New Zealand and the props and cast would be a MASSIVE blow and for that reason alone I will sign this petition.? I don't trust Hollywood not to ruin everything!

#2238 Kiss

Agree with most of what you say. I thought Peter Jackson blew LOTR though - the tone was so different to the books. Well, thats my 2 and only cents on the subject.
Stonerose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 11:04:33 PM »

I signed it, i loved fellowship, to me the that was the one that was closest to the book in terms of feel, the other two could do with some big changes, especially two towers, i though that was very average. If he comes back for the hobbit, i hope he gets it right.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 11:29:30 PM »

Wow - interesting.

I love Peter Jackson's LotR films but maybe a new director would be better for this film.  The Hobbit has a very different feel to the other 3 books, it's a lot more simple and...pleasent.  It's all very English, you know?  I can't see Jackson pulling it off - he'll make it MASSIVE and do a MASSIVE battle scene and it'll all be irritatingly MASSIVE.

However, the loss of New Zealand and the props and cast would be a MASSIVE blow and for that reason alone I will sign this petition.  I don't trust Hollywood not to ruin everything!

#2238 Kiss

Couldn't agree more.  The first one was pure genius, the 2nd one was awesome, but return of the king, while it has its moments was too much.  And King Kong was just ridiculously long and had a lot of scenes that could have been cut.  Still, I love the look Jackson brought to the stories and he did have great respect for the source material.  So long as they get ian mckellan back though it should still kick ass.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 04:24:04 AM »

first one was indeed the best one.
the two others were way off. you could tell the studios were behind him.

Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 04:58:36 AM »

Money talks and..

New Line offered Jackson a deal, if he drops the law suit he can direct The Hobbit and get money from it, but for him thats not what making movies is about.

I don't know what you people have smoked who think he couldn't pull of The Hobbit, offcourse he could and he'd make it with the same way he did LOTR, what he did was, he transfered the books to movies that work, offcourse there are some differences in the books and the films but I haven't heard anyone bitching about how there's no Bombadil in FOTR.

Kong was long but he did pay some 20 million dollars from his own pocket to shoot some scenes that he tought were important for the movie, I have no idea what those scenes were but this shows how much passion he has for making films.

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 06:24:38 AM »

Money talks and..

New Line offered Jackson a deal, if he drops the law suit he can direct The Hobbit and get money from it, but for him thats not what making movies is about.

I don't know what you people have smoked who think he couldn't pull of The Hobbit, offcourse he could and he'd make it with the same way he did LOTR, what he did was, he transfered the books to movies that work, offcourse there are some differences in the books and the films but I haven't heard anyone bitching about how there's no Bombadil in FOTR.

oh people bitched, and they were right
FOTR was respectful to the books. the two others were insane. but we're not going on that matter again.

and i think we had enough of jackson's style, it's like too much chocolate, they should let someone else try it ...

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 09:17:37 AM »

What great news

The guy is a hack

I'm really pumped about the Hobbit now. Without Jacksons awful cgi work, total inability to edit footage and baffling attempts to drag everything past three hours the Hobbit might just be the film the LOTR films werent....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
T_Roxie
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 10:34:37 AM »

Update, again from BBC
Sir Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings films, has voiced dismay over the decision to drop Peter Jackson as director of The Hobbit.
"I'm very sad as I should have relished revisiting Middle Earth with Peter again," the actor wrote on his website.

"It's hard to imagine any other director matching his achievement in Tolkien country."

There's nearly 7,000 signatures now.  I know Jackson can be ham-fisted but I think it could go drastically 'hollywood' without him behind the helm.
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 10:46:41 AM »

What great news

The guy is a hack

I'm really pumped about the Hobbit now. Without Jacksons awful cgi work, total inability to edit footage and baffling attempts to drag everything past three hours the Hobbit might just be the film the LOTR films werent....

You must be joking right?

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »

Jackson did a fantastic job by remaining as true to Tolkiens work as possible...and the producers for sparing no expense, the team must reunite for the fil to be done properly IMO (that includes, Ian Holme, Ian McLellan, Andy Serkus and Hugo Weaving)

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 11:30:21 AM »

hope for the best
Dirty Little Thing
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 11:42:53 AM »

That's pretty crazy, that petition went up 5000 signatures over night... I wonder if people actually take notice to these things?
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 12:13:51 PM »

i signed - i loved the trilogy and think that jackson should DEF do the Hobbit.    he couldnt have made them shorter in length either, Izzy - imagine the outcrys that too much had been taken out of the books.  Have you read the books?? they are rammed full of content and I thought Jackson and his obviously exceptionally loyal cast put a shedload of feeling and care into it.  each to their own though.
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 12:35:37 PM »

Jackson did a fantastic job by remaining as true to Tolkiens work as possible.

wrong.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: