Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 04:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Grinds It Out Into Wee Hours // Toronto Star GNR Concert Review
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Grinds It Out Into Wee Hours // Toronto Star GNR Concert Review  (Read 5390 times)
Eeebs
I was kissed by Matt Sorum!!
VIP

Riot Act

« on: November 18, 2006, 10:54:50 AM »

Axl Grinds It Out Into Wee Hours
by Ben Rayner
Toronto Star
Friday, November 17, 2006

Well, it's still not Guns N' Roses - I'm not looking for an argument here, it just isn't - but there's hope for Axl yet.

Yes, Rose is on the second GNR tour undertaken without a single other member of the original Guns N' Rpses and named for a non - existent 13 - years - in - the - making that will soon beg immortalization in its own Sammuel Beckett play.

Yet, while the man's famous yowl proved only a slightly less dubious instrument at the Air Canad Centre on Wednesday night than on the first Chinese Democracy tour stop in Toronto four years ago, Axl himself seemed more fit, at ease and prepared to reclaim the spotlight than the guy who blew out the last GNR "comeback" after a handful of troubled dates in late 2002.  This was much less about transparent, "something to prove" effort; it felt like Rose, who gathered strength in vocal and stage presence as the evening - or morning - given the typical late start - wore on, has become a little more cognizant and appreciative of the enviable position he holds.

He might as well suck up his insecurities and throw another record out there.  Obviously fans - many of whom, if the ACC crowd was any indication, are too young to care about the absence of Izzy, Slash and Duff from the roaster - are happy to scoop up an arean's worth of tickets, put up with Papa Roach and Sebastian Bach as opening acts and then sit around, without alcohol service or much in the way of human rights, until the wee hours for a chance to hear Rose and a bunch of hired hands perform half of 1987's Apetite for Destruction.

Although it felt a little half - formed the last time out, the new band, which includes Use Your Illusion - era GNR addition Dizzy Reed, former Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson and a troika of showboating guitarists - Richard Fortus, new addition Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and ex - Nine Inch Nail sideman Robin Finck - can do authentically out - of - control ("You Could Be Mine" was fierce) and Vegas flashy (Wings' "Live and Let Die", "November Rain") with equal aplomb,  We didn't need all the solo spots that completely derailed the pacing every time Axl left the stage to change his shirt or rest his voice, but they are indeed pro players.

And wouldn't you know it?  There was actually one solid new number, a low slung, riff - adelic, groove rocker called "Better" that offered our first, faint hope that Chinese Democracy, should it ever see the light of day, might not be a disaster.  Fingers crossed, Axl, 'cause our patience is wearing thin. 
EstrangedReality
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 11:26:29 AM »

Everyone always seems to love Better. The Blues is never mentioned.  no
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »

are happy to scoop up an arean's worth of tickets, put up with Papa Roach and Sebastian Bach as opening acts

Papa Roach wasn't on the tour for Toronto... Their last show was in NYC.  I'm starting to wonder if this guy was even at the show. no

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
guns_n_motley
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 11:41:24 AM »

are happy to scoop up an arean's worth of tickets, put up with Papa Roach and Sebastian Bach as opening acts

Papa Roach wasn't on the tour for Toronto... Their last show was in NYC.? I'm starting to wonder if this guy was even at the show. no

I hate critics... I cant give two shits about them... they act soo high and mighty like they know the key to good and bad music...
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 11:55:12 AM »

I can't believe this jerk-off has the balls to review a show he so noticeably missed.  Can anybody round up the e-mail to the editor?  Who knows, maybe the editor or publisher has the balls to fire this fuckhead.   rant

Oh well, at least the gutless critics' reviews have been positive, and rightfully so.  The '06 version of GNR kicks ass live.   Cool

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 01:38:12 PM »

Wow this guy is exposed............. Mentioning a band that wasnt even on the bill.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 01:59:37 PM »

I can't believe this jerk-off has the balls to review a show he so noticeably missed.  Can anybody round up the e-mail to the editor?  Who knows, maybe the editor or publisher has the balls to fire this fuckhead.   rant

Oh well, at least the gutless critics' reviews have been positive, and rightfully so.  The '06 version of GNR kicks ass live.   Cool

Try this man.

Bureau of Accuracy/Public Editor

You can contact the Star's Bureau of Accuracy and Public Editor by email at publiced@thestar.ca; by phone at 416-869-4949; or by fax at 416-869-4322.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Render&cid=972304684203
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 02:05:08 PM »

Wow this guy is exposed............. Mentioning a band that wasnt even on the bill.

good point.

this writer is way, way too cocky with his words! Say what you want, Axl and the band command respect. This is the last REAL rock legend. The world will wake up in a few weeks....

Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 06:33:47 PM »

That's Guns fans for you...a guy writes a vaugely positive review and you want him to lose his livlihood. Roll Eyes

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
live_era
Opening Act

hmm....

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 07:04:20 PM »

It's things like this that make me not want to read reviews
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 08:41:05 PM »

There have been some negative reviews that I read and said, "OK, i can see where the guy is coming from"

But when a reporter mentions an opening act who didnt even open, that shows he had a negative agenda against GNR goin into it. therefore his review was bias and non valid.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Fspen
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 09:50:32 PM »

The reviewer probably skipped everything but GNR...   Roll Eyes
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 10:02:10 PM »

Guys that was a decent review. For those who don't know, Rayner hates GNR. He slammed them in 2002. I'm shocked he had anything half-way decent to say period.
icpillusions
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 11:39:15 PM »

Guys that was a decent review. For those who don't know, Rayner hates GNR. He slammed them in 2002. I'm shocked he had anything half-way decent to say period.

It wasn't a review.  You would have to see the concert to write a review.

OR

He showed up just in time to see GNR take stage.  But it still doesn't excuse him from not getting his facts straight.  Hell, that is what he is paid to do.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 01:03:38 AM »

It wasn't a review.  You would have to see the concert to write a review.

OR

He showed up just in time to see GNR take stage.  But it still doesn't excuse him from not getting his facts straight.  Hell, that is what he is paid to do.

Ben Rayner is a JOKE in Toronto. Fucking up the opening acts is the least of his sins. He was basically employed only because the paper wanted to appeal to a younger audience back when they first hired him. Why they haven't dumped his ass is beyond me.
snooze72
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 07:56:18 AM »

He knew that GNR would make him wait forever, so he showed up late.  That was a good thing.  Had he sat through the openers and then waited... and waited...  and waited... for Axl to go on stage, he would have been in a much pissier mood.   
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 08:08:09 AM »

I thought it was a positive reveiw guys...espeically, as some of you have speculated, he wasn't even there...whether he is a Joke or whether he has the most respected opinion on the face of the planet, the bottom line is, he has the avenue to work for the Toronto Star...when it came to your hero and his band, he didn't say ANYTHING negative...he even said he looked FIT for Pete's sake...you really ought to consider growing your skin a little thicker...because some of you sound like a bunch of offended, whiney, paranoid 13 year old fanatics...unless that's the case...then touche! Grin
MrMojoRisin
Banned
Rocker

Some Kind of Monster

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 08:09:44 AM »

Everyone always seems to love Better. The Blues is never mentioned.? no

coz the blues sucks.... i heard that song already, it was better the first time when it was called November Rain.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 08:41:13 AM »

I can't say I like all the "hired hands" comments - the new Guns have more than proved themselves, in my opinion, but I have to agree with the "patience is wearing thin" comment.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 11:10:21 AM »

Everyone always seems to love Better. The Blues is never mentioned.  no

coz the blues sucks.... i heard that song already, it was better the first time when it was called November Rain.

Other then the fact that they're both piano based the two songs are nothing alike.

Maybe you should listen again.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: