Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 09:35:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose - The True Genious of Guns N' Roses
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose - The True Genious of Guns N' Roses  (Read 4751 times)
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« on: November 17, 2006, 12:22:19 PM »

I've been a fan for 7 years now, hardcore for 6, and while that makes me a freshman to some of you, I'd like to share my views on what actually made it so.

First meet: Live Era 99, Axl wails on KOHD in a TV commercial. Sold.

That turned out to be the first steps on a long ride with what I consider the greatest band the world has ever seen. Everything about them is great. Image, attitude, character, melody, roughness, realism, lyrics, controversy, groove. Everything.

What really sticks out though is the mesmerizing voice of Mr. W.Axl Rose. He's got the abillity to turn a good song great with just a tiny stroke of magic. you're just fuckin gone makes Dust N' Bones, It's been 14 years of silence, it's been 14 years of pain makes 14 Years. That's just two examples of good songs turned great by this amazing frontman.

Don't get me wrong. The other members are also vital to the music. Axl needs a basic rythm and melody behind him to take it further. But once that is in place he is the guy responsible for taking it one step further, beyond other rock bands like AC/DC, Purple and Sabbath. To neverland.

This is why GN'R with new guitarists, bassists and drummers can still be GN'R to me. It doesn't sound the same, but it still brings back the feeling that you've just heard something incredible. I had a small revelation yesterday. A portugise friend gave me a reefer with some amazing shit in. While I smoked it I put on my Chinese Democracy bootleg. It has always been great, but this time I realised truly how great. Songs like Oh My God, The Blues, IRS and There Was A Time have some genious vocal melodies on them. I don't know if everybody really understands how great that highpitched singing before BHs outro in TWAT is. That shit is not really good or really great, it's absolutely geniously amazing. A one in a million moment. Ask me how many vocalists that have done something that great with his voice and you wont get many answers.

I actually have a hard time putting my feelings into words on this matter. It's just all those tiny little subleties that I hear in Axls voice and melodies. You don't notice it at first, but when you have heard the song a 100 times you find that it's not only great, but intentional.

That's why GN'R with Axl will always be GN'R to me. He's the only one that can still make me feel like the old band did, and that's what matters. Not who's in the band, or what sound is used but what the music ultimately mean to you. Axl sure isn't the best singer out there, but when it comes to creativity and effeciency he's the best the world has ever seen. I just hope more people will realise that in the future.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 12:24:10 PM by polluxlm » Logged

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 12:33:29 PM »

Dude, you just summed up everything about how I feel. You're right, its hard to find words, but I only get this sort of feeling when I hear Axl's voice. (As I'm listening to Catcher in the Rye)  drool
phaseONE
Headliner

I'm a llama??

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 12:37:31 PM »

Boring boring boring,

Its not the same as the old BAND, this is ALX rose and some backing band.
plain and simple.

-------and time goes by-------
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 12:41:10 PM »

no trying to be an ass or anything but what's the point of this thread?
[mango]
Rocker

Chris Pitman = GNR

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 12:41:34 PM »

No new music can exist without the Master of the Synths !!!!  beer

We salute you !!!    peace peace

18.9.2010 @ Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria - I was almost there
24.9.2010 @ Arena, Zagreb, Croatia - I was there
17.7.2012 @ Spaladium Arena, Split, Croatia - I was there too
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 12:43:01 PM »

I'm sorry I didn't provide any release date theories, but this is a GN'R discussion board. A place to talk about your favorite band.

Grouse
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 12:52:08 PM »

I'm sorry I didn't provide any release date theories, but this is a GN'R discussion board. A place to talk about your favorite band.

Don't be an ass, It was a serious question you created this thread for a reason but I fail to see one...to me this is just another ass kissing thread, but hey if thats how you feel? ok
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 01:21:59 PM »

Boring boring boring,

plain and simple.
go to a VR board moron
we are talkin about GNR not Scott's backin band

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
mrbrownstone8797
Rocker

gnr>everything

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 02:31:25 PM »

Don't be an ass, It was a serious question you created this thread for a reason but I fail to see one...to me this is just another ass kissing thread, but hey if thats how you feel  ok
The point is to discuss his favorite band...like he just said.
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »

Boring boring boring,

plain and simple.

Yes you are... Very very very
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 02:33:05 PM »

Exactly. ?Who do you think you are, posting a topic on this board that doesn't have the words "album release date" in it? ? ? hihi

As a long time fan, to me, the current band isn't the same as the "original" lineup, but the current group is just as legitimate.? They're the ones making the new music I love, and they're as much GnR as the AFD era band ever was.? I totally agree, though, there's an inexplainable "magic" to Axl's voice that isn't matched by anyone else in rock, and it defines GnR, as well it should.? I remember when I first heard the opening lines of "Better" earlier in the year ("The hardest part...").? I had a smile on my face for an hour...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 02:39:42 PM by bazgnr » Logged
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 02:35:51 PM »

I've been a fan for 7 years now, hardcore for 6, and while that makes me a freshman to some of you, I'd like to share my views on what actually made it so.

First meet: Live Era 99, Axl wails on KOHD in a TV commercial. Sold.

That turned out to be the first steps on a long ride with what I consider the greatest band the world has ever seen. Everything about them is great. Image, attitude, character, melody, roughness, realism, lyrics, controversy, groove. Everything.

What really sticks out though is the mesmerizing voice of Mr. W.Axl Rose. He's got the abillity to turn a good song great with just a tiny stroke of magic. you're just fuckin gone makes Dust N' Bones, It's been 14 years of silence, it's been 14 years of pain makes 14 Years. That's just two examples of good songs turned great by this amazing frontman.

Don't get me wrong. The other members are also vital to the music. Axl needs a basic rythm and melody behind him to take it further. But once that is in place he is the guy responsible for taking it one step further, beyond other rock bands like AC/DC, Purple and Sabbath. To neverland.

This is why GN'R with new guitarists, bassists and drummers can still be GN'R to me. It doesn't sound the same, but it still brings back the feeling that you've just heard something incredible. I had a small revelation yesterday. A portugise friend gave me a reefer with some amazing shit in. While I smoked it I put on my Chinese Democracy bootleg. It has always been great, but this time I realised truly how great. Songs like Oh My God, The Blues, IRS and There Was A Time have some genious vocal melodies on them. I don't know if everybody really understands how great that highpitched singing before BHs outro in TWAT is. That shit is not really good or really great, it's absolutely geniously amazing. A one in a million moment. Ask me how many vocalists that have done something that great with his voice and you wont get many answers.

I actually have a hard time putting my feelings into words on this matter. It's just all those tiny little subleties that I hear in Axls voice and melodies. You don't notice it at first, but when you have heard the song a 100 times you find that it's not only great, but intentional.

That's why GN'R with Axl will always be GN'R to me. He's the only one that can still make me feel like the old band did, and that's what matters. Not who's in the band, or what sound is used but what the music ultimately mean to you. Axl sure isn't the best singer out there, but when it comes to creativity and effeciency he's the best the world has ever seen. I just hope more people will realise that in the future.

wow

exactly my thoughts.

congratulations man, i feel completly identified with your post.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 02:37:03 PM »

I was influenced by Slash just as much as I was Axl.

Slash's melodic one of a kind solos to me were just as great as any vocal melody Axl sang.

I will sing ?a long with Slash's solos just like I will with Axl's vocals.

Thing with new GNR is, With Slash he took a song that was an 8 and with his guitar ability elevated it to an all time classic.

With the New GNR songs we have heard, with the exception of Better, the guitar just doesnt do anything to increase the songs appeal.

Its kind of like the solo is thrown in just to fill a space instead of being a song inside a song.

Slash's SCOM and NR solos are just as memorable and famous as the songs themselves.

the guitar riffs of WTTJ, SCOM and NR are the most famous things about those songs.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Joblow
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 02:40:44 PM »

WoW. Pictures of your Axl Roses shrine would have just saved you all that typing...  hihi nervous beer
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 02:42:58 PM »

Slash's melodic one of a kind solos to me were just as great as any vocal melody Axl sang.

Sorry dude, but Axl is not just ''the singer'' of Guns N' Roses. He is the mind, the soul, the concept, the dorsal spine of the band. If you reduct him to ''just a vocalist'' I think you're not understanding the whole thing.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Grouse
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 02:46:42 PM »

Sorry dude, but Axl is not just ''the singer'' of Guns N' Roses. He is the mind, the soul, the concept, the dorsal spine of the band. If you reduct him to ''just a vocalist'' I think you're not understanding the whole thing.

and here we go  Roll Eyes
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 03:15:20 PM »

*smashing head off of table*

FFS, it's spelt "genius"!! Referring to intelligence by spelling genius wrong? People should be shot for that kind of irony.

I'm sorry...what was this thread about again?

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
dman1991
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 03:23:58 PM »

I call that feeling the tingles, its like when your favorite team scores a winning touchdown as time expires, or when they hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer in double overtime in a the playoffs,  or an overtime goal in the nhl playoffs.

The only difference is the sports thing rarely happens, Axl gets me almost everytime when I hear him belt  that high note in live performances of nighttrain(you know , the last time he says Loaded like a Freightrain, ...,. ).

The first time I got it was when Steve  Yzerman first hoisted the stanley cup.

Great Post by the way!

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 07:26:53 PM »

*smashing head off of table*

FFS, it's spelt "genius"!! Referring to intelligence by spelling genius wrong? People should be shot for that kind of irony.

I'm sorry...what was this thread about again?

Come bitch to me when you learn to write a single sentence in norwegian.

jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 07:56:12 PM »

Axls vocals still give me tingles.

The guitar work just ain't the same and it never will be.  But the other elements brought to the table make up for it. 

Thank god we still have two great musicians giving us great shit, Axl and Slash in each of their projects
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: