Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 03:57:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N? Roses Toronto November 15th: An Honest Review
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N? Roses Toronto November 15th: An Honest Review  (Read 5701 times)
Onikeus
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: November 16, 2006, 01:49:23 PM »

I?ve seen a lot of people talk a lot of shit on this forum about the Toronto show and so I?d like to give an honest perspective of the show. Let?s start from the beginning.

I got at the venue at 5:00pm and when I got onto the floor at 7:00pm I was one person behind the rail, one person right of centre stage. The opening act came on at 8 and stopped at 8:30. The opening act was GARBAGE, nobody enjoyed them. The songs were terrible, lacking any structure. Not only bad songs but the lead singer blew the performance by constantly running around the aisles trying to get people excited. Nobody gave a shit, lets move on.

Next were the Suicide Girls. They came on at 8:50. I was expecting some ugly ass bitches dancing to the backdrop of shitty music. They actually impressed me. First off, they were never nude; they had tape over their nipples. The best way to describe it is eye candy to pass the time. They had a good time and it got the crowd excited after such a shitty opening act. They finished at around 9:25.

After the crowd was pumped up the Suicide Girls, out comes Bach at 9:50. My honest take of Bach is that he?s a great opener. He knows how to work a crowd. He?s the epitome of a late 80?s front man. He head bangs, swings the mike, and just gets the crowd fired up. His new songs were not good but they weren?t terrible. Bach told a story how he first performed at some shitty bar in Toronto and how he met his wife here and how the hottest girls are in Toronto (he pointed out this one girl in the audience that WAS smoking hot- more on her later). The floor was really into his performance and so he told the crowd that it was the best night of his life, (ya right but thanks for the compliment bro). There was a cool surprise during Monkey Business. In the middle of the song, out comes the Trailer Park Boys. To give a backdrop of who the TP Boys are, they?re the most popular and iconic figures in Canada for young guys. They got a show (Bach?s gonna be guest appearing on it) that?s all about drugs, drinking and having a great time. One of the guys, Bubbles, performed his song Liquor and Whores. For fans of the show this was awesome. The TP Boys looked like they were having a great time. Bach comes back and closes with killer performances of I Remember You and Youth Gone Wild (he can wail like a motherfucker). He finished at like 10:55pm.

By this time, a lot of people were FUCKED up. There were a few people passing out. I looked back into the crowd, the venue was 95% full, that?s over 18 000 tickets (much better than 2002 sales). People started chanting Guns N? Roses in anticipation, the place was fucking electric. The crew was setting up the stage from 10:55pm to about 11:30pm. People started getting impatient (what else is new), some guys were worried he wouldn?t show. GUNS hit the stage just before 11:40pm, less than ten minutes after the crew finished setting up the stage (so everyone shut the fuck up about waiting)! When the opening notes of Jungle hit, people went ape shit. All of people rushed to the front. I passed the person ahead of me and got to the rail. Axl?s mike was OFF for the first part of his scream so all we heard was ?WHERE YOU AREEEEEEEEEEE? but everyone flipped out.

Jungle starts and everyone starts moshing. They?re performance of Jungle was amazing, like an overdose of adrenaline. Next came ISE and Brownstone, Axl poured his heart out into these songs. In response, we were SCREAMING our lungs out, packed closer than sardines. I heard people yelling ?HOLY FUCK? like they couldn?t even believe it was happening. A saw a guy cry from happiness after the show ended, it was that fucking good. After the first three songs, about 10 people had to be taken out of the floor out of sheer exhaustion. The crowd reaction was SO much that Axl said ?I remember coming in here in 2002, I had a great time, but this is even better, thank you so much for this?. It was our fucking pleasure dude. He was all smiles. For the record, Axl is in great shape, as a workout enthusiast I can tell Axl is in prime shape, better than Bach. Axl was over pouring with energy.

Next was Live and Let Die, the pyro was sick, it really adds a little extra edge. KOHD got the crowd to mellow out after nearly breaking the barricades. By this time I noticed we were packed so tight that some people couldn?t sing because they couldn?t breathe. People?s hands were stuck either up or down, it was crazy. After a solid KOHD, Robin does his solo. Previously I trashed Robin for butchering Slash?s solos but his solo spot was decent. Robin has great stage presence; he really is making a good impression on people. After the solo, SCOM. The crowd drowns out Axl, he was spot on, which is good because vocally for him its always been hard to pull off.

The YCBM that was played last night was one of the best renditions I?ve heard. The drums were pounding, with the guitars wailing, Axl?s howl at full pitch, everyone grooving; it was a great performance. BTW in between songs Axl and the band would jam, which kept the pace and Frank would pound the drum and people DID chant GUNS N? ROSES.

Dizzy?s solo was good but it was nothing compared to The Blues. I heard a few bootlegs but this song is one of those classic syrupy ballads like Yesterdays, even better. Axl jumped on the piano at the end and I felt everyone around me gasp. Side story: that smoking hot girl Bach pointed out was leaning right next to me during all of this (she was the one with red hair with streaks of blonde). We got to talking (and hit it off) but her friend fainted so she had security pull her and her friend out, when they pulled her out, you could see her pink thong, but NO ONE noticed because of how good the band was (I looked around to see if anybody saw that).

After such a top notch performance, a song starts that I didn?t recognize (didn?t listen to ANY of the leaks, it was Better). This song floored me. People saying it?s a pop-metal song are fucking retarded. This song is pure funk/hard rock with a twist of a modern sound. It was AMAZING. Best surprise of the night, EVERYONE on the floor dug it, a few knowing the lyrics others just recognizing the power of the performance. The chorus is amazing, the song is a gem. It got the best reaction of the new songs, as good as other big GNR hits. Next was Richard?s Solo, it was ok, he jammed to beautiful with Robin (never understand why they play this), it was a drag.

Luckily they know how to pace the songs and Out Ta Get Me was next. One of the best performances of the night. The whole band nailed it, Axl sang it with venom and finished it off with ?SO YOU CAN BITE ME,TAKE THAT TO YOUR CANADIAN HEARTS?. Nice twist. A few more people got pulled out, some for crowd surfing, others because it was just too much to handle. It was a good idea to play November Rain, everyone sung it. While he was playing it, Axl glanced a few times over at me. A lot of people at the front were exhausted/dehydrated (you move your spot is taken) so he probably was relieved to see someone still with it. Great performance, heart felt.

IRS is a classic rock song, it?s got the GNR sound with a Zep feel to it, definitely digging it. His voice was so raspy during IRS I was afraid he might lose it. After IRS I guess the people in some seats were sitting down because Axl said ?Next Bumblefoot, don?t play too loud some people in the seats are trying to sleep?. Bumblefoot?s solo was garbage. It was just mindless shredding, he?s a great guy, I shook his hand, but honestly it had no flow. I saw two people yawn. It was cool that he played Oh Canada though.

After that Axl comes out and he says ?I have a surprise, but its not what you think?. Now during the whole concert I was yelling PLAY RHIAD (its got potential people), so during his silence I yelled it again and he said ?not quite? (looking at me), and he said ?I got a friend, a Mr. Bubbles?. Bubbles from the TP Boys comes out and he says ?HOLY FUCK this is Axl FUCKING Rose?. Bubbles was star struck. He introduced Bach for My Michelle. My Michelle was electric, they play off of each other well. After Axl made a TP Boys joke (?I?m watching you guys like shit hawks?). Used to Love Her and Patience were next, both solid performances, Axl running like a man possessed during Patience.

Nightrain was the last song before the encore. BEST song of the night was Nightrain. He NAILED it, he was prowling, stomping his foot, wailing. Mesmerizing. No other words could describe it. I kept taking cell phone pictures during the show but during Nightrain I was speechless. It rocked so hard my mouth was open in disbelief and I could only pump my fist. Axl SAW the expression of my face and he sung a verse right to me, smiling as I smiled back. Whoever said he doesn?t give back to his fans doesn?t know shit.

I was sad when Nightrain ended as I knew it was near the end. For the Encore Chinese Democracy was played. Its my least favourite new song played yesterday but still a good performance, a good song. After it ended, I tried one last time to get them to play Rhiad, no luck. Paradise City kicks in and it was one of the best performances of the night. Everyone knew it was the last so people once again moshed out. At the end, a pyro went off that pretty much made everyone deaf, a final piece of thunder. Axl threw his mic into the crowd. Then used another mike to say ?Thank you have great night, drive home safe?.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 03:45:36 PM by Onikeus » Logged
Onikeus
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:49:42 PM »

Words can?t describe how electric Guns performance was. They LOOKED and PLAYED like a band. My only minor gripe are the extended solos, they did drain some energy. But that point is insignificant. The new songs ARE awesome, they have that Guns sound with more Zep/Queen and a little bit of a modern twist. The fan reactions from the floor was very good, with Better getting an awesome reaction. Axl normally looks over the audience (as in stares above them) but during the new songs he looked at everyone to see their reactions, I think he was impressed.

I think I have to make it clear that this performance was the best concert I have seen. The best songs were The Blues, Better, YCBM, OTGM, Nightrain and Paradise City. This comes from a classic rock fan so to put it in perspective, at the SARS concert, AC/DC upstaged the Stones and last night Guns upstaged AC/DC. Axl?s voice was crystal clear even against the rail dead center, with the rasp being in full effect the WHOLE time. The man hasn?t lost a beat. He?s the LAST and ONLY rock star remaining. He has the moves, the look, the voice, and the band. The only way I can describe it was electric. The audience, 18000 strong, LOVED it. A good measurement was when I took a piss and all 20 guys in there couldn?t shut up about the concert (some were talking from the toilets), and no one knew each other. It was that good. What a night. Thanks Axl for the memories. Next stop: Detroit.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:14:26 PM »

They should hire u to do PR

That review was great, made me feel like i was there watching the concert.

peekin at a chick who passed outs thong though kind of disturbed me.........  nervous

other than that the review was great and the concert seemed amazing! ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Risico
Rocker

You will lose everything...

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 02:21:56 PM »

That's an extremely well-written and detailed review - Excellent work!  beer

When all is said n' done, we're not the only ones...
brock
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 02:22:36 PM »

Its actually sad that Axl can have such a presence and such an effect on people, but he has basically shut himself off from the public for the entire decade of his prime.  There is a lot of lost music and special moments lost in that decade.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 02:33:18 PM »

Man, that was a fucking great read. I even shed a tear at your descriptions of the opening songs.  beer

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 02:46:45 PM »

yeah,that was a great read! beer

reviews like this makes me want to see GNR again soo bad that it hurts  drool

shit happens when you party naked
Chief
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 02:52:29 PM »

AWESOME review, thanks for sharing man.. sounds like a killer killer show!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 03:09:22 PM »

The only way I can describe it was electric. The audience, 18000 strong, LOVED it. A good measurement was when I took a piss and all 20 guys in there couldn?t shut up about the concert (some were talking from the toilets), and no one knew each other. It was that good. What a night. Thanks Axl for the memories. Next stop: Detroit.
That IS impressive!  The number of times I've seen a great show and yet nobody talks about it after, for it to really be talked about means it must have been off the hook.  Damn I wanna see GN'R!!  I might be travelling the world in January, if I don't go to Thailand I'll seriously consider San Diego.  That would be unbelievable!!

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
fishyguy
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 03:10:36 PM »

That was a great review.

Got me excited for Tomorrow although I highly doubt the Ottawa crowd will be any where near as hardcore as Toronto.
allicatt
Opening Act

Tap it........unwrap it........

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 03:28:04 PM »

Are you a journalist or something cause babe you can really write.... loved your review.  Sounds like it was a killer concert........which brings a big smile to my face as some friends of mine were going to that show.....

Alliecatts purr when they're stroked
delvis
Opening Act

Kizza Me

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 04:03:48 PM »

Dizzy played Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane" before his intro solo to The Blues. It was fuck n' sweet
BFD
Headliner

Do you know where you are???

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 04:06:15 PM »

That was sweet.  Great show.  On my way to Ottawa now.

"And I'll leave you lying on the bed.  With your ass in the air."
ColdNovemberRain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 04:16:19 PM »

I wanted to go sooooo bad... im so jealous.

Go 49ERS!!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 04:26:35 PM »

Dizzy played Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane" before his intro solo to The Blues. It was fuck n' sweet

Thanks i wondered what it was beer

Ivona
Headliner

Spread the love

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 04:43:07 PM »

I went to the NJ show and I was in the firts row. Then I said fuck it and I bought tixs for MSG. Your review was fuckin great. Well done Smiley
I want to see them again!!!

The last one from her kind - Ivona :]
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 04:51:27 PM »

Axl SAW the expression of my face and he sung a verse right to me, smiling as I smiled back.
You remind me of those crazy housewives that think the actors on TV are talking to them. Good review, but lose the fantasy.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 04:53:33 PM »

Also, if you didnt listen to ANY of the leaks, how do you know Rhiad?
veritas55
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 04:59:25 PM »

GREAT review -- included the good and the not-so-good.  Nice.  Thanks.
uzisuicide2002
VIP

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!?!?!

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 05:11:30 PM »

"A saw a guy cry from happiness after the show ended, it was that fucking good."

HA funny i cryed at 4am after the show in NYC May 14th in the hotel room. It was just to much for me i think. I was front and center and seeing someone i'v only seen on tv since i was 9, it was nuts. i was just over running with emotion lol  rofl

GN'R Boston 02
GN'R NYC 06
GN'R Mass 06
GN'R NJ 11
VR Mass 05
GN'R Foxboro 16
GN'R Boston 17
VR Mass 07
Slash Boston 10
Steven Adler NYC 11
Slash Foxwoods 14
Slash Providence 15