Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 03:21:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  11/17 OTTAWA -SCOTIA BANK DISCUSSION......
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 11/17 OTTAWA -SCOTIA BANK DISCUSSION......  (Read 7677 times)
Hammer1
Headliner

GNR Fan

« on: November 16, 2006, 11:01:20 AM »

Axl Rose, by sheer charisma, helps us relive those intoxicating, bad old days of early hair metal. What a blast.?
Article Tools
? ? Printer friendly
? E-mail
? Font: * * * *? Shawn Jam Hill, Citizen Special
Published: Thursday, November 16, 2006
Guns N' Roses have been picked clean, and only W. Axl Rose remains, team captain of hard rock's most storied, visceral and greasy band. Without Slash's awesome six-string firepower, Duff McKagan's steady bass rumble and Izzy's barroom-ready rhythm tone, is Guns N'Frikken Roses 2006 even the same band? And does it matter?

Appetite For Destruction, the band's debut album on Geffen, and a veritable tour de force, remains the quintessential '80s metal record, a swaggering, dirty paean to all that is deliciously debauched, a postcard from an era before terrorism was a worn-out buzzword.

It was pure escapism, and the fact that Axl brings the noise to Scotiabank Place tomorrow with himself as the only remaining original member in the lineup is a testament to the man's shrewd business sense. Guns N' Roses are a construct, a fantasy of shrieking guitars and rock-solid anthems that defines an entire generation of hard rock fans. Who among us has not held a partner close, slow dancing to November Rain, only to get confused by the bombastic piano-laden outro?

When I saw the clip for Sweet Child O' Mine on Video Hits I was in Grade 7. I immediately wanted to get my ear pierced, play electric guitar and wow the masses with a new-found gender-bending sense of bravado. Those five rockers looked like the baddest dudes I had ever seen in my life.

People will question the relevance of the Guns N' Roses of 2006. I embrace the paradox that is Axl Rose, a man who by sheer charisma can headline stadium tours on the coattails of records released some 15 years ago, while a dangerous corn-rowed undertone lurks beneath.

GNR is a throwback to hair metal's genesis, and Axl knows full well there is a niche for solid, booze-addled jams, soaring heartfelt ballads a la Don't Cry and inescapably intoxicating boogie smash-ups like the one at the end of Paradise City to satisfy the true classic rock hesher in these downloadable times.

Axl's new six-stringers, Robin Finck (ex-Nine Inch Nails) and Richard Fortus (ex-Psychedelic Furs), have Slash's huge boots to fill, but the spotlight will be on Axl, and recreating those metal memories from dirty rock's halcyon daze will be worth every penny.

So yes, it does matter that the boy is back in town. Bust out yer jean jacket with the leather fringes, hoist a stadium turbo beer on high and relive when rock'n'roll could cause serious pandemonium.

Axl himself may be as relevant as hypercolour T-shirts, but this Spandex-soaked party rock hootenanny will be one heck of a blast -- provided the mercurial metalhead bothers to show up for the gig.

Shawn Jam Hill is an Ottawa writer, musician and chef.

Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »

Man I'm pumped.. I'm here getting ready for tonights show and can't wait.

Life is a strange thing. Just when you think you've learnt how to use it it's gone.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 12:02:49 PM »

Someone put on a GN'R mix CD at the gym yesterday... my excitement is level is getting up there...
Hammer1
Headliner

GNR Fan

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 01:21:12 PM »

just starting the drive from T.O.

Cheers beer
fixintodie
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 01:36:56 PM »

just starting the drive from T.O.

Cheers beer

Have a good one - don't forget the pics.  beer
Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 01:45:41 PM »

I'm hoping to meet a few ppl at the preshow in Kanata at Boston Pizza located at the Kanata Centrum (there's special buses running to and from the show)

Life is a strange thing. Just when you think you've learnt how to use it it's gone.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 01:47:31 PM »

Have fun to those that are going and as alway be safe AND DON'T DO ANY DRUGS... unless you want to.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 05:06:12 PM »

Have fun to those that are going and as alway be safe AND DON'T DO ANY DRUGS... unless you want to.

Well i intend to.. I'm heading out the door now to head to the preshow.. catch ya'll later

[mango]
Rocker

Chris Pitman = GNR

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 07:35:45 PM »

Any updates from anybody tonight?

18.9.2010 @ Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria - I was almost there
24.9.2010 @ Arena, Zagreb, Croatia - I was there
17.7.2012 @ Spaladium Arena, Split, Croatia - I was there too
axlsfury
Opening Act

Gonna bring you to your sha na na na na na knees

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 08:01:54 PM »

What a fucking dumb write up.  The writer should do his research a bit more, like mention the third guitar player.  Oh, and also, all the references to the 80's hair metal is fucking stupid and getting old.  This guy obviously doesn't understand the fire inside Axl or why Guns N Roses exists today. Sounds like he went to Wikipedia and stole the first page.

Lame.
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 09:48:45 PM »

What a fucking dumb write up.? The writer should do his research a bit more, like mention the third guitar player.? Oh, and also, all the references to the 80's hair metal is fucking stupid and getting old.? This guy obviously doesn't understand the fire inside Axl or why Guns N Roses exists today. Sounds like he went to Wikipedia and stole the first page.

Lame.

Is there updates for tonights show?

peace

edit: I didnt mean to quote ya dude. I hit the wrong button
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 09:55:18 PM by Dead N' Bloated » Logged

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 10:06:15 PM »

Is there updates for tonights show?
I'm hoping for updates too.? But it doesn't look like we're gonna get any tonight. Undecided
Oh well ... I guess we have reviews to look forward to tomorrow.

What a fucking dumb write up.? The writer should do his research a bit more, like mention the third guitar player.? Oh, and also, all the references to the 80's hair metal is fucking stupid and getting old.? This guy obviously doesn't understand the fire inside Axl or why Guns N Roses exists today. Sounds like he went to Wikipedia and stole the first page.

Lame.

I took this write up differently.? I took it as something positive.? Considering that like 80% of the songs are from AFD, the writer sorta has to acknowledge the "80s hair metal" GNR.? But IMO these two lines show that this writer is open to accepting the 2006 GNR.? yes

People will question the relevance of the Guns N' Roses of 2006. I embrace the paradox that is Axl Rose, a man who by sheer charisma can headline stadium tours on the coattails of records released some 15 years ago, while a dangerous corn-rowed undertone lurks beneath.

So yes, it does matter that the boy is back in town. Bust out yer jean jacket with the leather fringes, hoist a stadium turbo beer on high and relive when rock'n'roll could cause serious pandemonium.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 12:49:15 AM »

No updates tonight, eh?

Right about now, Axl must be saying, "Here is a brand new song off of our new album that you can buy next Tuesday!!!", and there is no report of it...   Tongue

Sharky-dude
Headliner

Silence Isn't Golden When I'm Holding It Inside

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 12:55:35 AM »

No updates tonight, eh?

Right about now, Axl must be saying, "Here is a brand new song off of our new album that you can buy next Tuesday!!!", and there is no report of it...? ?Tongue

Hah! That's totally how it's playing out in my mind!! hihi

!go Jets go!
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 12:56:17 AM »

No updates tonight, eh?

Right about now, Axl must be saying, "Here is a brand new song off of our new album that you can buy next Tuesday!!!", and there is no report of it...? ?Tongue

DON'T DO THAT TO ME!!

I'll end up getting in the truck and driving up there or something.......

(no I won't just kidding)

Grin

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
GNFNRAXL
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 01:23:30 AM »

No updates tonight, eh?

Maybe someone on this board should go in Ottawa, say they are from GNR'S management to get in and check it out.  *joke*  rofl
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 01:37:17 AM »

No updates tonight, eh?

Maybe someone on this board should go in Ottawa, say they are from GNR'S management to get in and check it out.? *joke*? rofl
That only works in Dayton!!!? hihi

ON TOPIC:? I guess I could've slept atleast another hour before getting up to check if there was any updates or reviews.? Sad

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 01:39:18 AM »

WTF?Huh  ANYONE???  PLEASE! rant
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 03:15:17 AM »

I found this review

Just got in.. still tired from the Toronto concert.

Here's a quick review.. I'll edit it tomorrow after I've gottne some sleep.

You'll find the setlist .

GREAT concert!

SOUND:
The sound was WAY louder than the Toronto concert. Just as a rock concert should be.

The image in the left and right monitors was still blurry.

Axl was in a great mood, his voice was superb. He was so energetic!

I would say the venue was more than 80% full. Great crowd.

We got a very good WTTJ intro scream tonight  I was quite happy about that!

I'll add to this post tomorrow.

1. WTTJ
2. Its so eazy
3. Mr. Brownstone
4. Live & Let Die
5. Robin Finck Solo
6. SCOM
7. You Could Be Mine
8. KOHD
9. Better
10. Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
11. The Blues
12. Axl Sings Happy birthday to Richard!
13. Richard Fortus solo
14. Out to get me
15. November Rain
16. Ron Bumblefoot guitar solo( Oh Canada..)
17. My Michelle
18. Used to love her
19. Patience
20. Nightrain
21. IRS
22. Madagascar
23. Paradice City

I have never seen so many tree
Cleopatra2U
Rocker

I might be too much but honey you're a bit obscene

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 03:31:49 AM »

^ If this is an accurate set list, it looks like the order of the songs in the middle got shuffled a little bit...  And Ottawa got IRS and Maddy!  Good stuff!   smoking
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: