Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:24:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This albums promotion is simple, the promotion is there is none.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This albums promotion is simple, the promotion is there is none.  (Read 13275 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« on: November 15, 2006, 12:32:00 AM »

This album is going to basically sell it self. They dont need any promotion. Once the album drops, there is going to be a huge word of mouth buzz .I am sure they will have huge display in stores but once its out you know that Gnr.com will have it on their main page, mtv.com, rollingstone.com, blabbermouth.net etc etc will all  hvae it on their front pages that its now out. Also, i wouldnt  be suprised of the better HD ad at the end says the song better can be found on the album CD out now in stores. And I tunes could also have the first single on the main page.  Basically the no promotion thing is their promotion and its going to be huge.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
GeraldFord
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:34:29 AM »

What would be the point of that? Why not release a single, do a press blitz, in addition to letting it sell word of mouth?
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 12:35:39 AM »

What you described isn't "no promotion". it's more like " no promotion until there's actually something to promote".

I still think it'd be smart to announce a release date, even if they don't announce it til a week before it's coming.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:36:50 AM »

WTF? ?You just listed off a bunch of promotion. ?The fact that there is a Harley ad (promotion) and a Chinese Democracy tour (promotion) makes this thread complete nonsense.

BTW, promotion doesn't end when an album's release date has passed for everyone who equates promotion with announcing a release date.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 12:39:37 AM by Eazy E » Logged
Gonzo Axl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 12:37:39 AM »

Yes, but I can see that they will promote after the album. Like, let it sell with us, THEN promote AND let word of mouth seek in. Its a double atack I say. *Ps., Trriiiippppyyyyy Shocked*
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 12:37:59 AM »

Personally,  I think it's a mistake to drop the album without notice.  If you want big first week sales, which I'm sure Interscope does, then the thing is to let people know so they can go out and get it the first week.  I'd like to see a nice promotional push to let people know it's out so it can debut at #1.  GN'R deserves a fair chance for that, at the very least.  Ultimately, no promotion will make up for a weak album.  The strength of the sales over time will depend on the strength of the album as well as it's commercial viability.  "Better" would be a good choice for a first single because it's so catchy and so damn good.  That's the best kind of promotion, in my opinion.

Ali
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 12:39:19 AM »

BTW, promotion doesn't end when an album's release date has passed for everyone who equates promotion with announcing a release date.

That is somewhat true, but much like a movie after opening weekend the media and general public move on to something else. Besides, you need to blow your nut upon release and get as many sales as possible, because the days of the slow burn are over with the advent of downloading.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 12:41:09 AM »

What you described isn't "no promotion". it's more like " no promotion until there's actually something to promote".

I still think it'd be smart to announce a release date, even if they don't announce it til a week before it's coming.

Yes it is no promotion, because they are not paying for it. If RS talks about CD gnr are not promoting it, RS are  basically. Point is Universal is not spending a lot of promotion on this album because they dont need to

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Z
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 12:43:44 AM »

The recent car commercial with Jane's Addiction's True Nature in it made me pull that cd back out. ?Got my attention.

The Harley ad will create a buzz. ?Better will be released on the adz heels.

Then the cd one week later.

So here's how it's gonna go............

Harley Ad debuts Sunday. ?Single hits the airwaves next week just in time for major travel days (Thanksgiving). ?

CD is released on the 28th of November.

That's it. ?Stop all the fuckin whinin and for all Gunner's sake stop talkin like you know what can and can't happen because its Guns n fuckin Roses for Christ's sake. ?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 12:45:23 AM »

That is somewhat true, but much like a movie after opening weekend the media and general public move on to something else. Besides, you need to blow your nut upon release and get as many sales as possible, because the days of the slow burn are over with the advent of downloading.

Well, I would say that is true of the music industry today... The reason being that they package a hit single with a bunch of a filler and sell some made-up "image" for a band. ?Everyone picks up the record in the first week and the record companies make a quick buck and move on to the next band. ?

I don't these "new" rules of the industry apply to GN'R, especially since they are releasing an album with substance. ?The days of the "slow burner" are not over (The Killers first album and American Idiot are a prime example of that), quality music just isn't being released. ?If Chinese Democracy is going to be as good as it seems it will be, first week sales will mean nothing.
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 12:46:01 AM »

What good will it do to promote "Better," but not tell people when they can go buy the album it's on? Surely Interscope wouldn't rely on 300 message board faithfuls to tell the masses.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 12:48:02 AM »

The Ghs has been on the charts for THREE  years and that had NO PROMOTION at all. CD is going to do the same thing. If the GHs can sell three million with no promotion you really dont think a new cd by guns n roses can do the same thing?

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 12:48:49 AM »

The days of the "slow burner" are not over (The Killers first album and American Idiot are a prime example of that),

THey also had much wider general appeal than I suspect Guns will. The Killers and Green Day crossed over into Adult contemporary/modern hits type formats as well as Kiss FM, and I don't think GNR is going to make it out of the rock genre. Without those formats and MTV playing the shit out of your videos all day, I don't see how Guns experiences that type of pro-longed success.
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 12:49:00 AM »

Yes it is no promotion, because they are not paying for it. If RS talks about CD gnr are not promoting it, RS are? basically. Point is Universal is not spending a lot of promotion on this album because they dont need to

Those displays in stores aren't free you know. Somebody has to pay for the GnR website that would have an ad for the cd. I guess it'd be considered minimal promotion. You can bet your ass after that album comes out, there will be ads for it in RS, Spin, and probably upteen other publications.

The Ghs has been on the charts for THREE  years and that had NO PROMOTION at all. CD is going to do the same thing. If the GHs can sell three million with no promotion you really dont think a new cd by guns n roses can do the same thing?

Dude, when that cd first came out i saw commercials for it ALL THE TIME. You could even order it thru some 800 number on the screen. That's PROMOTION!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 12:52:10 AM by 1badapple » Logged
GeraldFord
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 12:49:29 AM »

The Ghs has been on the charts for THREE? years and that had NO PROMOTION at all. CD is going to do the same thing. If the GHs can sell three million with no promotion you really dont think a new cd by guns n roses can do the same thing?

GH was a compilation, not new songs. I want CD to do well too, but I don't buy that they wouldn't promote it.
Z
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 12:51:01 AM »

If Chinese Democracy is going to be as good as it seems it will be, first week sales will mean nothing.

Amen Easy!

So what were the first week sales of AFD?  15 million copies later............
GeraldFord
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 12:53:42 AM »

We fans should have a hunger strike, until CD is out.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 12:53:53 AM »

Reality is, it won't be huge without people knowing about it.  I can't think of a store near me that would have a "Huge" display for this album.  There really won't be a "huge" word of mouth buzz either, other than the internet.  There just isn't millions of fans of this band like there used to be and they should have a single if they want to gain some NEW fans.  THAT'S REALITY.  This isn't the biggest band in the world anymore, face it.

It just won't be this "bring peace to the world" event like some of you are thinking.  It's an album from a band that hasn't released an original album for 15 years and with only one original member.  Don't get me wrong, I wish it was going to be the way you think it will, but without PROPER promotion it will just be "another" album released.  Do you really think it will be on the world news?? "This just in to CNN... Guns N' Roses have released an album without promotion!!!  What an event people!!!"  It will never happen that way.  It's just an album from a great band and it means nothing to the majority of the population.  .00001% of this entire world know that GN'R could have an album coming out with no promotion behind it and those people are US and THE PEOPLE WE HAVE TOLD.

I'm not being negative whatsover but I'm just trying to bring you back to the reality of the situation.  This album will not stop wars or cure diseases.  Fuck, it won't even cook for you.  It's music that a lot of people could care less about. 

"The albums promotion is simple, the promotion is there is none."  I just don't think that idea works.  I think it would be more correct to say, "This albums promotion is simple, there is none."  I think it's just want we want to believe so bad because we just want this fucking album to come out.  We don't even care if it's promoted or not anymore.  I honestly could give two shits if it's promoted or not because I'm here for the music.  The record company making money doesn't matter to me at all.  That's up to them to worry about and if they actually do a half-assed release with this album, then it's their fault they won't be making the money that they SHOULD be making.  I've typed a lot more than I wanted to and I only meant to type 2 or 3 sentences but I fucked that all up.  I just want people to see this how IT REALLY IS and not as the second coming of Christ.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 12:56:34 AM by lennonisgod » Logged

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 12:53:53 AM »

I am saying they are not gonna promote it before it hits shelves like most bands do. The promotion is to keep people guessing then when it drops it will create a huge buzz, then that will start the promotion. But you are not going to see the release date in mags or anything. That is what i think is going to happen.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 12:54:16 AM »

The days of the "slow burner" are not over (The Killers first album and American Idiot are a prime example of that),

THey also had much wider general appeal than I suspect Guns will. The Killers and Green Day crossed over into Adult contemporary/modern hits type formats as well as Kiss FM, and I don't think GNR is going to make it out of the rock genre. Without those formats and MTV playing the shit out of your videos all day, I don't see how Guns experiences that type of pro-longed success.

So you think they will try to milk the first few weeks for all they are worth? ?It doesn't seem like the strategy they would use for a Guns N' Roses record.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: