Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 04:17:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This albums promotion is simple, the promotion is there is none.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This albums promotion is simple, the promotion is there is none.  (Read 13215 times)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2006, 03:12:54 AM »

btw,

Jay Z's album due November 21st has leaked.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2006, 03:14:09 AM »

Yeah, for about a week now...

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2006, 03:14:30 AM »

NEWSFLASH:? you don't need any promotion if you're Guns N' Roses!? Everyone already knows about the band, and Chinese Democracy and the leaks.? Promotions would be a stone cold waste of money.? If Merck announced that the album was coming out tomorrow, I promise you, there'd be a line around the block within TEN MINUTES!

Not even all the people going to the shows know about the leaks.

That's true, when I was singing along Better, IRS, Madagascar etc. people around me were looking at me like 'what the fuck is that guy doing?'.. And when I was talking to these people they had no idea about the songs, some of them had heard the titles but not the actual songs.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2006, 03:15:33 AM »

Nevertheless, it has leaked. What is your point?

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2006, 03:16:46 AM »

Uuuuuuum, nothing?

I just added something to your post.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2006, 03:18:25 AM »

Uuuuuuum, nothing?

Ok, just checking. Are you ok tonight? I sense something.

kaasupoltin
Legend

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2006, 03:19:07 AM »

Uuuuuuum, nothing?

And you're not the only one my friend.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2006, 03:20:45 AM »

Uuuuuuum, nothing?

Trouble makers?

JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2006, 03:25:42 AM »

GnR is making this album be a surprise.

A. Everyone and there GnR fan can't wait for this album so they are toying with us which tuesday it is.

No, they're not. People on this message board keep coming up with release date theories and everyone runs with them. The only thing that's been said, by anyone in Guns n Roses, about the album, in months, is that it's not coming out November 21st.

B. I think Axl wants to surprise his fans what BETTER way then to secretly drop the album

When has Axl said he wants the album to be a "surprise?" We've heard about it for 13 years. I think that disqualifies it from being a surprise anyway.

D. Don't you think its funny that Izzy is said he might be doing Christmas shows since there hasn't been any promotion don't you think this might be a ploy to get Chinese Democracy flying off the shelves.? ?Album is released and a original member is touring with GnR that's great promotion.? That really can get more sales from people who aren't familiar with GnR word of mouth hey REMEMBER GnR yeah I went to a show and Izzy was playing great strategy.

Izzy played with them in Europe. I can't recall Fox News or CNN or even MTV having a breaking story about Izzy going on stage with Guns n Roses.

If he does do a few shows with them, it won't have the impact you're imagining.
Risico
Rocker

You will lose everything...

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2006, 03:37:17 AM »

Quote from: JimMorrison4 link=topic=39407.msg796407#msg796407

If he does do a few shows with them, it won't have the impact you're imagining.
[quote

Exactly. A bunch of you guys are expecting the world to stop turning when GNR makes whatever move they're going to make regarding the album, and it's simply not 1991 anymore - Bands that get a lot of attention are bands like The Killers and Evanescence because they hit home with the kids, just as GNR did back in '88.

Every single person I've ever talked to about GN'R, particularly the new band, has either laughed or smirked through the conversation - As of now, most of the real world has no clue that Axl's back, and if they are aware of it, GN'R don't have this "legendary" status that most of us would like to believe that they do. Wonderful band, yes, but in the eyes of most people, it's just not the case.

I love this band, but there's no way in hell that they're going to capture the attention and love of a fanbase anywhere near the size of the glory days. I wish they would, honestly.

All I'm trying to say is - Be realistic, guys n' gals. It's much more sensible than hyping this project up more every day beyond the already ludicrous hype that it has.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 03:48:48 AM by Risico » Logged

When all is said n' done, we're not the only ones...
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2006, 04:16:34 AM »

^^ Exactly. The last time GNR did anything newsworthy was when Axl got into a "fight" with Tommy Hilfiger. Trust me, more people heard about that than the 4 leaks or this tour.

An album release with no promotion would be a PR nightmare. Anyone who'd bother to even mention the release would just put down Axl, the "new" band, and how long it took them. And you know if the reviews are bad, Axl will go back into hiding.

And I know what you mean about people smirking over the mention of Axl Rose. I've told ALOT of people that I saw them in Huntington. The responses I've gotten have been things like:

"Didn't Axl gain a bunch of weight and lose his voice?"

"Is Axl still fat?"

"That's so 80s."

"What group of characters does he have with him now?"

"Is Slash still with them?" (Yes, I'm serious)

"Was he rocking the football jersey?"

And other responses along those lines. Promotion is a MUST. The 2002 VMAs are still fresh in people's minds. That isn't going to sell cds.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2006, 04:28:00 AM »

The Ghs has been on the charts for THREE  years and that had NO PROMOTION at all.

Not true.  I saw television commercials for it many times.  I believe I even heard radio ads for it.  It received as much promotion as any other album, maybe more. 
kaasupoltin
Legend

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2006, 04:35:49 AM »

The Ghs has been on the charts for THREE? years and that had NO PROMOTION at all.

Not true.? I saw television commercials for it many times.? I believe I even heard radio ads for it.? It received as much promotion as any other album, maybe more.?

I second that, I saw a TV-commercial for GH many times here in Finland. I think there was some clips from YCBM or Live And Let Die. Didn't really pay attention but I have it on some of my Simpsons-VHS's Tongue

And I think there were some posters too, but I'm not 100% sure.

BEEP.
badapple81
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2006, 06:08:13 AM »

The Ghs has been on the charts for THREE? years and that had NO PROMOTION at all.

Not true.? I saw television commercials for it many times.? I believe I even heard radio ads for it.? It received as much promotion as any other album, maybe more.?

This is true. The Tokyo show highlights were even played on Australian evening free-to-air TV during the GH release.
badapple81
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2006, 06:10:41 AM »

I think they (being the record company etc.) would want to be milking this for every single dollar they can. Yes it will sell a million or so easily.. but if they can sell another million through loads of promotion then I think they will.

However, if the album was to come out this year, I would have thought week 1 of December was the best time.. a few weeks before Christmas. And if it was coming out then, I would have thought we would have seen some promotion or new something about it by now. That's why I do not think it will be out this year. I think January.
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2006, 06:18:46 AM »

What would be the point of that? Why not release a single, do a press blitz, in addition to letting it sell word of mouth?

Because it's Chinese Democracy. It doesn't need massive promotion, the album's already a myth.

It will generate a huge buzz in a few hours/days

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2006, 08:52:12 AM »

This album is going to basically sell it self. They dont need any promotion. Once the album drops, there is going to be a huge word of mouth buzz .I am sure they will have huge display in stores but once its out you know that Gnr.com will have it on their main page, mtv.com, rollingstone.com, blabbermouth.net etc etc will all? hvae it on their front pages that its now out. Also, i wouldnt? be suprised of the better HD ad at the end says the song better can be found on the album CD out now in stores. And I tunes could also have the first single on the main page.? Basically the no promotion thing is their promotion and its going to be huge.

Yeah, but that buzz is only gonna last so long. Then real promotion would need to keep people informed of it.

That's where a single comes in.

There's gonna be at least a single. That is just good music business senes. You can't have an album out, and no singles on the radio.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2006, 08:58:01 AM »

Well if Better is gonna be on the HD commercial, then wouldnt you just put the puzzle together.
Why would they license the song just for the hell of it. It's obviously to promote something.
They would just keep Paradise City as the song for it if that was the case.

So the single should obviously going to be Better.
So there will be a single.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2006, 09:03:19 AM »

I can't remember an album having more commercials than Greatest Hits.

An album WILL NOT SELL in the age of the download without promotion. Consumers buy what they're told to. If people hear that Guns n Roses has new music out, they'll just get on their favorite file sharing program and download the songs. If people are told over and over "BUY THIS ALBUM," they will.

Actually, having no promotion or release date could help stop a leak before the album is released.

It's obvious what's happening. The UYIs were hyped to the hilt. They even opened record stores hours before the album came out. They suffered for that as a lot of people didn't give the albums a fair chance and thought they were only successful of the hype. Nobody will be able to say that about CD. Axl and GNR have already delivered one of the most hyped albums in history. Now he wants to do the opposite. Look at all the people who have seen them play live. If only they by the record in the first couple of weeks, that's a success.

The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2006, 09:18:01 AM »

I can't remember an album having more commercials than Greatest Hits.

An album WILL NOT SELL in the age of the download without promotion. Consumers buy what they're told to. If people hear that Guns n Roses has new music out, they'll just get on their favorite file sharing program and download the songs. If people are told over and over "BUY THIS ALBUM," they will.

Actually, having no promotion or release date could help stop a leak before the album is released.

It's obvious what's happening. The UYIs were hyped to the hilt. They even opened record stores hours before the album came out. They suffered for that as a lot of people didn't give the albums a fair chance and thought they were only successful of the hype. Nobody will be able to say that about CD. Axl and GNR have already delivered one of the most hyped albums in history. Now he wants to do the opposite. Look at all the people who have seen them play live. If only they by the record in the first couple of weeks, that's a success.

I doubt it. Critically UYI I & II were bashed in 1991, but now are regarded as masterpieces.

Civil War & You Could Be Mine were both released as singles before Use Your Illusion II ever came out. Not to mention, if I remember correctly, Bad Apples leaked to radio before Use Your Illusion I's release.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: