Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 11:09:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228113 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Backstage @ MSG
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backstage @ MSG  (Read 14245 times)
Edward Rose
« on: November 14, 2006, 06:49:52 PM »

My night actually started kind'a crappy. I was at Houlihan's in Penn Station having a beer as I was waiting for the credentials to be brought down by management, and on the way to the bathroom I hit my head on a tv monitor that was sticking out into the walk way. Really dangerous. So I had what I thought was a big lump on the right side of my forehead near the hair line. I was planning on buying a hat later at the merch counter to cover it up, but a couple of hours later I was talking to someone backstage and they said they didn't even notice the bump. Funny how a bump on the head always FEELS bigger than it actually is.

I was at the show doing a personal photography project for one of the band members. "Personal" as in FOR the band member, and never to be sold or made available to the public. It was not only a once in a life time opportunity, but also an honor. Unfortunately for the info thirsty fans, there's nothing juicy in this review. No exact times when so-in-so showed up at the after party, no info on who drank what and how much was consumed, no pictures of any famous people, and no info on the album release date. However, I did include a few pics that I don't think are a big deal, and Frank told me an album tid bit that he said wasn't a secret. And fwiw; if anyone was close enough to the stage, I was the one wearing the red flanel shirt... and my hair is buzzed. (crew cut)

The backstage VIP area was cool. They had complimentary beer, wine, soda, cheese, fruit platters, raw vegetable platters and colored nacho chips n' dip. After having only one beer before the project I had to work on that night, I found the band member who I was there for. We chatted for a few, I filmed a "Walking up the ramp" shot, and then he had to go back into the band room to warm up before the show.

As usual, I spend most of my time in this capacity at these kinds of events talking to the road crew, arena employees and people in the VIP area. On this night, it was very special for some of the band members. More than one of them was playing at this venue for the first time in their life. As a result, and also because the event took place in New York City, there were alot of close friends and family members of the band present in the VIP area.

Also present?! JARMO! In fact, I chatted alot with him that night. Funny thing is, I didn't know who he was until the next day when some a-hole at another bb posted a picture of him with rude text transposed onto it. I was like, "Who is this guy? I met him at MSG!"

Anyway, he was really cool. I babbled mostly about Europe, and I also told him about the "American Tobacco" conspiracy. (I lost my cigarette cravings while spending some time in England over the summer... smoking Dunhill & Mayfair)

Sebastian's band was great, as usual. It's funny, sometimes he cracks this joke when fans ask him to sign an old Skid Row album. He says, "Oh that's when I was still good looking." But he really looks the same and his voice is still great for his age. And of course, the same with Axl. Which is ironic that Baz is opening for Guns on the tour. It's like, two 80's front-men who still look and sound great.

(Believe it or not, some people skip work to go to a Guns N' Roses concert Smiley )

Guns N' Roses sounded great too, although I was right up front with my teeth near the stage for the first three songs. So I really only heard the monitor mixes. Sometimes I would move to a position and hear Axl clear as hell, then move near another monitor and hear Ron clear as hell. But later on, I went out into the crowd for a few songs and they DID sound good. If you'd like a better sound review, there are others at this forum.

After the show I was hanging out in the VIP area, and one by one, all of the band members strolled in to greet their fans, friends and family members. Then at some point when Axl still hadn't arrived in the VIP area, I needed to go pee. After I got back, a security guard near the entrance of the VIP area said, "Axl's in there... no pictures," as I walked back in. (I wouldn't have taken any to begin with)

So I walked over to the "huddle" that was around him, and he was shaking hands of fans. He turned around, I extended my hand with a smile, and said, "Great performance tonight" as he shook it. He said, "Thank you very much," while smiling. Then he turned to the left to continue meeting and greeting, as I politely bowed out of the huddle and went to get another beer... or maybe I went back to Jarmo's couch and cracked a "Wanna touch my hand?" joke. I'm not sure who I cracked that joke too, but it really was cool just to meet Axl. I'm not big on autographs and pictures, so the hand shake was cool.

A few minutes later I walked over and greeted Frank. I told him how I think he's a great drummer... especially for Live shows, and then I asked him the best question I could think up. Of course I DIDN'T want to ask the 64,000 dollar question, for obvious reasons, so I asked, "Is it like, TOTALLY top secret how many tracks you recorded on the new album?" And he answered, "No it's not a big secret. Five...."

Then he said something else, but I forgot what it was. I guess I was just trying to remember "Five" because I already had a few to drink.

At some point later, the party moved to a bar about 20 blocks away. On the way in I grabbed a fortune cookie out of a bowl. For some reason there were bowls of fortune cookies and Red Hots everywhere. After opening my fortune cookie, I put the fortune in my flannel pocket because I was already too buzzed to read small writing in a dimly lit club. But to my surprise, when I woke up at 4pm the day after and found the fortune in my shirt, it said "Why I'm here I can't quite remember," which was funny, because by 5 in the morning I was almost to blitzed to remember why I was there that night.

I can't say how crowded the place was because of, ironically enough, Fire Marshal issues, except to say that it wasn't uncomfortably full, and people weren't splashing drinks on each other. When I first went to the bar to get a drink though, I was shocked to find out that this was ALSO an "Open Bar." (Free) I can understand an open bar at the venue, but it surprised me at this after-party. And I can't IMAGINE the tab that Gn'R management must have had to pick up after the sun came up.

So there was nothing really juicy to report at the after party even if I WAS to do so. The band members arrived similarly to the way they did in VIP after the show. Axl was there too, and had a huddle around him most of the time. But as I said, there were alot of personal friends and family members there. So there wasn't really anyone asking for autographs and pictures. I spent most of the time at the after party talking to the band member who I did the project for, talking to Jarmo and his friends, and also talking to fans. I didn't attempt to talk to Axl because of the personal aspect of this after party mentioned above. (friends and family) And I also didn't really have anything to say, other than I'm a fan of his music and he did a great job that night.

I also can't stress enough, and I know it sounds cliche, that Axl seems like such a personable and nice guy. In fact, for being a supposed "Asshole," he sure does smile alot. In fact, he was never NOT smiling every time he walked by me or I saw him accross the way. EVERYONE in the band is nice, and I'm not just saying that.

My night ended when I took a taxi to the Staten Island Ferry terminal as the Sun was coming up. Then I fell asleep on the Staten Island train and ended up going back and forth one full trip to get to my stop, which was near my brother's house. He put me up in Staten Island last weekend until I came back to England yesterday. (Monday) For what it's worth, I'm from The U.S. but I live in England now.

I want to thank Axl for picking up the bar tab at the after party, as well as the band member I worked for that night. Also thank you to Merck for making the project I worked on possible.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 07:22:26 PM by Edward Rose » Logged
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 06:54:16 PM »

Hey, thanks for posting this here, I read it on the other forum.  A great story about a great night! Oh, and welcome to the board! beer
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 06:54:43 PM »

wow, excellent review!  thanks ok

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 06:57:15 PM »

Frank is on 5 songs on the album?  Damn wonder what Brain thinks about that.....

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
EFISH
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 06:57:20 PM »

Awesome, a really great story! And that is very cool about 5 tracks for Frank. I assume that means Ron will be on around that many, give or take of course. Anyway, thanks a lot!!  beer
Edward Rose
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 07:04:53 PM »

Hey, thanks for posting this here, I read it on the other forum.  A great story about a great night! Oh, and welcome to the board! beer

Your welcome. I added the Jarmo parts because I didn't know it was him when I first posted. I also added the Frank tid-bit because he DID say it's not a secret.

I hope this was a good contribution to the Gn'R community. I tried my best not to say things that can be exxagerated or confused. Which is really hard to do.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 07:05:54 PM »

Frank is on 5 songs on the album?? Damn wonder what Brain thinks about that.....

Who cares what Brain thinks about it.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 07:06:36 PM »

Amazing story!! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
EFISH
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 07:06:41 PM »

You didnt say anything too much. Dont be surprised if people start sending you messages asking what band member you were filming/taking pictures for. Stick around!  beer
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 07:07:42 PM »

I spot some Black Label Society colors in that third pic.

Cool story.. thanks for posting that up bro.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 07:14:16 PM »

Thanks a lot for posting, that was a great read!!!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Edward Rose
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 07:16:15 PM »

You didnt say anything too much. Dont be surprised if people start sending you messages asking what band member you were filming/taking pictures for. Stick around!  beer

Asking me Q's is futile Smiley I did forget to mention that Sebastian is a fun and funny guy. But I think alot of fans know that already.

And yes, I'll stick around!
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 07:19:24 PM »

Asking me Q's is futile Smiley

So who's the bandmember?  Smiley

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 07:19:31 PM »

Frank is on 5 songs on the album?  Damn wonder what Brain thinks about that.....

Who cares what Brain thinks about it.

Thanks for replying.  I care - that's why I took the time to post.  Anyway, its amazing that they can turn around and re-record (the drum parts at least) and re-mix and re-master 5 tracks and still get this album out in the "fall to late-fall."  Axl is serious about making these guys (Frank and Bumblefoot) a part of the "Guns N' Roses family."

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 07:23:37 PM »

Thanks for replying.? I care - that's why I took the time to post.? Anyway, its amazing that they can turn around and re-record (the drum parts at least) and re-mix and re-master 5 tracks and still get this album out in the "fall to late-fall."? Axl is serious about making these guys (Frank and Bumblefoot) a part of the "Guns N' Roses family."

OK, well you care. Personally I'd get Frank in alone. (Unless there are a lor of weird songs Brain were to be more suited for). In that case, and it appears to be what's gonna happen, it will be interesting hearing different drummers on different tracks on the album.

gmGnR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 07:25:52 PM »

Sweet!

Paris - 06/06/1992
Paris - 07/13/1993
NYC - 12/05/2002
NYC - 05/12/2006
NYC - 05/14/2006
NYC - 05/17/2006,
E. Rutherford - 11/05/2006
NYC - 11/10/2006
Edward Rose
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 07:28:17 PM »

...Anyway, its amazing that they can turn around and re-record (the drum parts at least) and re-mix and re-master 5 tracks and still get this album out in the "fall to late-fall."  Axl is serious about making these guys (Frank and Bumblefoot) a part of the "Guns N' Roses family."

The process is alot faster than people think. I'm not saying because of ChinDem knowledge, but because I've been in the biz for a long time. Things are so advanced now.

Frank and Ron are very devoted to the band. And that's probably why Axl gave them that opportunity. Again, not because I know. Just my oppinion.
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 07:29:38 PM »

Good read, the board needs more content like this ...

Five tracks is interesting, I wonder if that is just songs for Chinese Democracy, or songs for all three albums?

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 07:32:15 PM »

...Anyway, its amazing that they can turn around and re-record (the drum parts at least) and re-mix and re-master 5 tracks and still get this album out in the "fall to late-fall."? Axl is serious about making these guys (Frank and Bumblefoot) a part of the "Guns N' Roses family."

The process is alot faster than people think. I'm not saying because of ChinDem knowledge, but because I've been in the biz for a long time. Things are so advanced now.

Frank and Ron are very devoted to the band. And that's probably why Axl gave them that opportunity. Again, not because I know. Just my oppinion.

Well, I personally think it's great that they will be on the album.  They are out on the road performing the songs nightly and kicking ass and deserve to be there!   peace
Emilie
Rocker

No, we can't stop here! This is bat-country!

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 07:33:24 PM »

Great story!

So were the fortune cookies specially made for GN'R or did it just happen to be Guns lyrics?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: