Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 03:24:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Appetite For Collection
| | |-+  Value of Live like a suicide LP and Apppetite LP?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Value of Live like a suicide LP and Apppetite LP?  (Read 6849 times)
Bumblefeet
Rocker

"The fuckin fighting Irish"-Axl 9/6/06

« on: November 11, 2006, 01:05:53 PM »

I was just wonderin how much the both of them are worth. i know that suicide is being sold for 150euro. Is that good? The appetite has the tatoo on the cover but i dont think that its the japenese one and not sure if the stickers are with it either. Write back ASAP!!!  ok

Oh My God, you can't deny this...it's fuckin coming!!!
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »

i would just check ebay.. what ever they sell for is what the fair market value is.  Ebay has really eliminated the need for any sort of price guide ect.. haha..
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:09:07 PM »

Up to 150 ? for LLAS (more than that is a joke)

About 35 ? for Appetite.

That would be my advice.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 10:45:02 PM »

About 35 ? for Appetite.

That would be my advice.

If LLAS was sealed, I would gladly pony up more than 150 euros.  Of course, I'd check the person's feedback, return policy, etc.

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
Bumblefeet
Rocker

"The fuckin fighting Irish"-Axl 9/6/06

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 06:25:37 AM »

No, no. Its being sold in a shop for 150. i checked ebay and they it is about 9.99 with bout 2 days left but i am suspicous about it. There is only a one angled pic of it and it could be the back of lies!!! The appetite is being sold for 20 euro. Is it worth gettin. I think it is!!

Oh My God, you can't deny this...it's fuckin coming!!!
Fransman_nl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 07:01:01 AM »

About 35 ? for Appetite.

That would be my advice.

I paid ? 15,- for my copy of Appetite
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 01:04:29 PM »

About 35 ? for Appetite.

That would be my advice.

If LLAS was sealed, I would gladly pony up more than 150 euros.  Of course, I'd check the person's feedback, return policy, etc.

Any "sealed" copy of LLAS is likely to be a "resealed" one these days. Very few to no really sealed ones, I'm afraid. And resealing vinyls is the easiest thing in the world.

troccoli
VIP

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 12:13:54 AM »

About 35 ? for Appetite.

That would be my advice.

If LLAS was sealed, I would gladly pony up more than 150 euros.? Of course, I'd check the person's feedback, return policy, etc.

Any "sealed" copy of LLAS is likely to be a "resealed" one these days. Very few to no really sealed ones, I'm afraid. And resealing vinyls is the easiest thing in the world.

Hence the whole feedback/return policy sentence.  ok

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 07:02:57 AM »

Hence the whole feedback/return policy sentence.  ok

That's supposing you can prove it was resealed. Dangerous game, if you ask me.

meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 07:23:21 AM »

I agree 100%. If you buy something sealed with a view to keeping it sealed, how would you know you don't have a LLAS cover with the vinyl of Britney Spears greatest Hits inside.... hihi    God forbid that of course.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 07:53:44 AM by meanmachine73 » Logged

Keep em under your wheels.
troccoli
VIP

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 08:02:08 PM »

Hence the whole feedback/return policy sentence.? ok

That's supposing you can prove it was resealed. Dangerous game, if you ask me.

Very true. Smiley

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 05:41:00 AM »

I know we've been over this before, but in my opinion LLAS is worthless. Everyone and their grandma has it, but only 10 thousand copies were made.

Either Axl spent the last 13 years shipping out a bunch more copies, or most of them are well done fakes.

The math just doesn't add up.

As I've stated in another thread, for many years it was almost mission impossible trying to get one, and then in the mid 90's you could buy one at almost any record store. I think this is when the fakes were made.

Not sure how we could prove this(probably cant), other than doing a "test" on another album as rare....

Go try and track down Metallica's original Garage Days EP(or am I thinking of no life til leather or whatever it was called)? There was the same amount of copies of this rare album made as LLAS, yet the market isn't flooded with it. This same test could be done on any other rare albums you can think of. You will NEVER find as many copies of a rare album as you will of LLAS.

williambailey
Rocker

"Axl is just another version of the Ayatollah"

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 07:12:55 AM »

I know we've been over this before, but in my opinion LLAS is worthless. Everyone and their grandma has it, but only 10 thousand copies were made.

Either Axl spent the last 13 years shipping out a bunch more copies, or most of them are well done fakes.

The math just doesn't add up.

As I've stated in another thread, for many years it was almost mission impossible trying to get one, and then in the mid 90's you could buy one at almost any record store. I think this is when the fakes were made.

Not sure how we could prove this(probably cant), other than doing a "test" on another album as rare....

Go try and track down Metallica's original Garage Days EP(or am I thinking of no life til leather or whatever it was called)? There was the same amount of copies of this rare album made as LLAS, yet the market isn't flooded with it. This same test could be done on any other rare albums you can think of. You will NEVER find as many copies of a rare album as you will of LLAS.

Why do you have such a problem accepting that lots of people own LLAS?? I think a previous thread summed this up.? Think about it, you never saw them for sale years ago because the internet and ebay didn't exist previously.? So you would have had to be extremely lucky to find one for sale in a local record store.? But the net makes the world a whole lot smaller, that's why there are so many you see for sale.?

Once upon a time if you owned a LLAS and wanted to sell it where was your market?? You could put an add in the local paper or sell it to a local record store.? If you did that how many people do you think then saw it for sale.? If I wanna sell one today I can list it on ebay - then just about everyone in the world can see my auction.

Here's a good example.? The GNR pinball machines.? There were only 3,000 of these made, yet you regularly see these for sale on ebay.? Using your logic how is that possible, since there were only 3,000 made - are they fakes??

My GNR pinball machine seems pretty real to me when I play it, just like my LLAS!!!

I admit there are people that photograph the back of Lies and then try and pass it off as a LLAS but they are easy to spot because of the barcode in the top right hand corner.

Here is another interesting fact.? I happen to own 3 copies of LLAS.? 2 of my copies are still sealed.? I bought the sealed copies directly from Alan Niven about 12 months ago.? On one of the covers he signed it and wrote - there were only 25,000 copies of this pressed.

Well I had always thought that there were only 10,000 copies pressed, since you always heard that number thrown around.? But according to Alan Niven there were 25,000 pressed.? I tend to believe him since he did mix the record after all.

So combine this fact, with sales over the internet, I think it easily accounts for the number you see for sale.? Even if there was only 10,000 made I think it is still feasable.

Do you own a LLAS?? If not it sounds to me like you are just jealous and wanna put everone else down that has one and try and tell them it's probably a fake, simply because you don't own one yourself.? Personally I don't think it's the Holy Grail of GNR collectibles, but is still a must have for any serious collector.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 07:16:30 AM by williambailey » Logged
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 08:05:41 AM »

Why do you have such a problem accepting that lots of people own LLAS? 
I dont care if you own 20 copies. In fact, by em all. It would just be a step closer to proving my point. The thing that should make this album rare is the fact that all original copies cant possibly exist. You think every one of those copies is in mint condition 20 yrs later? Of course not.

Your 'internet age' theory doesn't hold up when putting other rare albums to this same test.

A pinball machine isnt the same damn thing as a record and you know it.

I used to have LLAS. Sold it for drugs many moons ago. Could buy it at any time if I wanted to, but why? Its a dime a dozen in my book.

Of course its not the holy grail. I never said it was.

Just because you own 3 copies doesnt mean its legit. I dont care if Jesus Christ signed it.

Go buy 3-5 copies of Metallica's "holy grail", then call me.

williambailey
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 08:41:29 AM »

The fact he signed it is irrelevant, but who he is, is relevant as far as authenticity is concerned.  Alan is the guy that mixed the record he was also the bands manager until about 1990 or '91.  He retained a few copies of it for himself up until recently.  That's how I know my copies are legit.

But regardless of my copies, I agree with what you say that LLAS is a dime a dozen.  That's why I tend to think that 25,000 may be the real number for how many were pressed.

Even so, just because you see a lot for sale still doesn't prove they are fake.  I also don't think that all of the copies that were produced are still in mint condition or even still in existance.  I have seen some pretty beat up copies for sale.  Copies that the seller will try and convince you are "near mint" when they are clearly not.  So many of them I am sure have aged poorly but still get onsold.

Can't comment about the Garage Days EP, I have never really watched out for it to see how often it comes up for sale.  I knew it was rare but have no idea of the number that were produced etc.  Maybe there are more Metallica vinyl collectors than GNR?? That's why I used the pinball machine as an example, I know there were only 3,000 of those that were made and I can only assume that not all of those have survived either, yet you regularly see those for sale on ebay, plus the Mr Pinball Classifeds and other places.  So here is any example of something that was only produced in a very limited amount but is still seen for sale quite regularly.  It can happen!

meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 08:43:25 AM »

I have posted this several times, I KNOW 100% there are copies and have seen the difference.  The copy vinyl is heavier and more matt coloured black. I believe they were pressed in Russia where they bought all the pressing equipment when CD's took over popularity.

williambailey
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 08:45:51 AM »

I would love to see some photos of a fake one. (I actually wouldn't mind owning one either if it's tru- lol)

So the actual vinyl itself is heavier? 

What's more of a matt black - the vinyl or the black on the sleeve?
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 08:58:18 AM »

The vinyl is heavier. The colour of the vinyl is also a 'matt' black which is darker than the original.

The sleeve looked 100% identical with the only exception being in absolute mint condition when the likelyhood of finding an 'original' LLAS in mint condition being somewhat harder to find. The material used on the sleeve was also the same micron.

How do I know, 1) A dealer at a record fare showed me the difference. The trade had been on the look-out for people selling fakes.

2) I previously worked in a large facility which produced CD's and Vinyl for the major record labels, and whilst they were a 100% legit company, it would be have been so easy to produce fake copies of ANY album that would look to the un-trained eye original.

williambailey
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 09:08:04 AM »

Interesting - I want one now for my collection!  Wink

I still don't think that the amount that you see up for sale on ebay is an extraordinary number though.  If there were like only 500 or 1,000 copies made then I would say yes, but the number for sale seems to fit with the number made and what would survive today IMHO. - maybe throwing in the odd Russian one to boost the numbers, but I still don't think these ones would make up the majority of the ones you see for sale.
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 09:23:53 AM »

I agree with you, but would ask the legitimacy of someone knowing the number of copies pressed who was just the person involved in mixing the album and would have no involvment in the pressing of LLAS. Granted he would have been given some curtosy copies, afterall, for every order there are 'make-ready' copies and other overs to ensure that there is no spoilage in the packing/labelling process.

Every piece I have ever read on the LLAS subject leads to only 10,000 copies being pressed.

The concern would be why you can find so many copies for sale in Asia where to the best of my knowledge the record wasn't even released, more so they are normally sold in 'mint' condidtion and in some cases still shrink-wrapped.

If someone has access to Ebay Japan and can speak the language ascertain how many copies are for sale?

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: