Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 08:41:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How about a second singer for the band?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How about a second singer for the band?  (Read 2095 times)
Scarlett
Headliner

Someday.......

« on: November 10, 2006, 05:13:52 PM »

Hi folks, was just curious about what others thought of the idea of Axl having one of the other guys in the band singing a song or two while he goes out back for a break during the concert?

Before everyone nixes the idea, think about it. The solos the guys do are great, but they are waaaaaaaaaayyyyy too long, especially Robins solo- I thought his was never going to end the other night. That was the only beef my family and I had with the concert, was the long solos. My kids even got bored of them, except for Ron's "Beautiful" because they knew the song by Aguilara.

Why not have one of the guys sing while Axl is out back resting? For instance, Dizzy's piano solo was great (he played Angie by the Rolling Stones), but it would have been awesome, if one of the guys sang the lyrics to it. Doesn't even have to be a GNR tune, maybe Ron could sing the words "Beautiful" while playing it. I think fans would be more into the solos, if someone was singing some of them, anyway.

A lot of bands do have another singer in them. For instance, Poisson has Ricky Rockett singing "I want to Rock and Roll all Night", Kiss has Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons, Cheap Trick has Robin Zander as the lead singer with Rick Nielsen doing a few songs- just a few examples of bands with more than one singer in them.

While this gives Axl some breaks inbetween tough songs he has to sing, this would entertain the audience some, and folks wouldn't be bored with many of the solos.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 05:15:24 PM by Scarlett » Logged

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
Even cold November rain
dallasgel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 05:16:21 PM »

Isn't "poisson" French for fish?  Anyway, totally agree.  Back in the day Duff used to sing while Axl took a break and his voice was crap but it was better than loooooong guitar solos.  Definitely agree.  Great idea!
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 05:17:39 PM »

Why don't we just get rid of Axl altogether on stage and let him hang with the band with the new lead singer after gigs. We can call them just plain ol' Guns with no Roses. Yeeeeaaahhhh. Sorry for the sarcasm, end of work day Friday and getting ready to go to MSG.
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 05:18:06 PM »

Hey, I love Robin's solos!  rant  I would like to hear him singing, too - I loved his singing in Sossego.

They should cut down on the others' solos  Tongue 

PS. Duff's singing was so boring...
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 05:18:14 PM »

Well, first off... Ron doesn't do 'Beautiful', Richard does.

Ron does "Don't Cry", which is a G'NR song and I think it's kinda cool the way he does it instrumentally. ?Kinda like a singalong.

Alot of people seem to have problems with the solos. ?Given that GNR has pretty much always given most of the members solos, it makes sense that they'd keep this tradition.

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
GunsN'Gravy
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 05:18:22 PM »

I would love if Ron did a beat box thing while Robin breakdances.

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 05:20:51 PM »

I could see Dizzy or Robin taking a song or two. Not so sure about the other guys. I pre-emptively veto Ron singing, though.
Refused
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 05:22:10 PM »

Bring back "Attitude"!
nesquik
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 05:23:17 PM »

Dizzy and Tommy are great singers. Have you ever heard this Dizzy song on myspace? it was for the "still life" movie. He sounded dawn great!
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 05:24:39 PM »

The mindblowing Pitman solo is long overdue. That's what we need. Risky though, would result in alot of girls fainting and heartattacks.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 05:30:44 PM »

Tommy's solo album is phenominal, and any vocals by him during the shows would be welcome on a GnR tune, cover song, etc.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 05:33:54 PM »

They should play Seven Days A Week by Tommy's band, Perfect. Grin
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 05:42:36 PM »

Hi folks, was just curious about what others thought of the idea of Axl having one of the other guys in the band singing a song or two while he goes out back for a break during the concert?

Before everyone nixes the idea, think about it. The solos the guys do are great, but they are waaaaaaaaaayyyyy too long, especially Robins solo- I thought his was never going to end the other night. That was the only beef my family and I had with the concert, was the long solos. My kids even got bored of them, except for Ron's "Beautiful" because they knew the song by Aguilara.

Why not have one of the guys sing while Axl is out back resting? For instance, Dizzy's piano solo was great (he played Angie by the Rolling Stones), but it would have been awesome, if one of the guys sang the lyrics to it. Doesn't even have to be a GNR tune, maybe Ron could sing the words "Beautiful" while playing it. I think fans would be more into the solos, if someone was singing some of them, anyway.

A lot of bands do have another singer in them. For instance, Poisson has Ricky Rockett singing "I want to Rock and Roll all Night", Kiss has Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons, Cheap Trick has Robin Zander as the lead singer with Rick Nielsen doing a few songs- just a few examples of bands with more than one singer in them.

While this gives Axl some breaks inbetween tough songs he has to sing, this would entertain the audience some, and folks wouldn't be bored with many of the solos.

Thoughts?

I was never bored by the solos. I think Robin's intro to SCOM could possibly be dropped, just to tighten up.

But personally I think it's got to do with small attention spans with more people. I loved the solos. Gave me a chance to sit, and just soak it all in, and Ron's got his unique sound, but Robin & Richard's guitar work is so soothing and soft.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Dirty Little Thing
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 05:45:12 PM »

I would love if Ron did a beat box thing while Robin breakdances.

That would be entertaining! Maybe even have the suicide girls join them!  ok
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 05:53:59 PM »

I was never bored by the solos. I think Robin's intro to SCOM could possibly be dropped, just to tighten up.

But personally I think it's got to do with small attention spans with more people. I loved the solos. Gave me a chance to sit, and just soak it all in, and Ron's got his unique sound, but Robin & Richard's guitar work is so soothing and soft.

Me neither, but I noticed the majority of the crowd were seriously bummed out by those breaks. Solos are cool, but how about playing something more recognizable?

The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 05:58:10 PM »

Me neither, but I noticed the majority of the crowd were seriously bummed out by those breaks. Solos are cool, but how about playing something more recognizable?

Like when Slash used to jam on stuff like Voodoo Child, Only Women Bleed, & Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds?

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 06:02:25 PM »

I'm thinking more in the lines The Godfather theme and Wild Horses. That's what I call a killer solo break.

The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 06:06:50 PM »

I'm thinking more in the lines The Godfather theme and Wild Horses. That's what I call a killer solo break.

Alice Cooper is God.

Bring on Only Women Bleed...

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Scarlett
Headliner

Someday.......

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 06:07:04 PM »

Well, first off... Ron doesn't do 'Beautiful', Richard does.

Ron does "Don't Cry", which is a G'NR song and I think it's kinda cool the way he does it instrumentally.  Kinda like a singalong.

Alot of people seem to have problems with the solos.  Given that GNR has pretty much always given most of the members solos, it makes sense that they'd keep this tradition.

You're right, I messed up the player with their solo, my bad.......

My opinion has NOTHING to do with this being a new band. I just think it would be entertaining to have one or two of the guys sing a song or two, instead of all the solos. As others said, Duff used to sing to give Axl a break.

This is no slam against Axl, geesh. I was just thinking of how it would make the solos appear a little more entertaining, as folks do get a bit bored with the long solos.

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
Even cold November rain
Just_Me
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 06:08:18 PM »

They should play Seven Days A Week by Tommy's band, Perfect. Grin
I know you're going to disagree with this, but in most cases if people didn't like Duff's singing they probably won't like Tommy's either.

But I think its a great idea. ?As has been pointed out the old band used to do it all the time. ?And since the new band have at least two people who can sing it'd definately be an option.
It would be really cool if they did some of Tommys solo stuff but if not I'm sure they could find some other stuff.

BTW anyone know where I can hear Dizzy singing? ?Didn't know he did until this topic.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: