Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:01:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack running for President in 08
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack running for President in 08  (Read 5873 times)
SLCPUNK
« on: November 09, 2006, 02:24:40 PM »

Just on MSNBC

Waiting for AP..................
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 02:35:57 PM »

Anyone have any predictions/favorites??? I think it's obvious Hilary & Obama will run. I don't think either will get the primary. Honestly I think Gore will run & win the democratic ticket. Just my guess. Also I predict Pennsylvania governor Ed Rendell will be a big person in the campaign. He's a great public speaker & man-of-the-people type of guy (he's on Eagles post game shows in Philadelphia, and the funniest part his he actually knows football pretty well). I think he might be selected Vice President, not sure though as he's got a few skeletons in his closet from the past (Was District Attorney of Philadelphia during a few scandals & such). They would probably come out during the race. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him out & about alot, he's a very energetic speaker & great rallyer. Really none of his races are ever close.

Republican I think McCain w/Guiliani as VP.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 02:51:18 PM by pasnow » Logged
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:09:34 PM »

It wouldn't suprise me at all, of course, if Clinton ran, but it would if she got it.

It would come as somewhat of a suprise to me if Obama decides to run, but it wouldn't at all if he got it.

You get me?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 03:10:42 PM »

Interesting statement and yeah, I know what you mean and agree on both.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:16:58 PM »

as of right now, obama, hillary, rudy and mccain all have about equal %s in terms of likeability.  However when it came to who do you dislike, hillary was the clear front runner.

i also think the conservatives will not like Rudy's stands on a lot of the "moral" issues.  He is pro choice, pro gay etc... (if i'm not mistaken).  He is adored when he speaks down south and what not, but they politely forget his stance on things - will be a diff story when he runs for office I think.

should be interesting.  McCain is getting kinda old, obama has no experience really, hillary is love/hate and rudy is too moderate of a repub i think to get the base to vote for him.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 03:37:40 PM »

Not wishing to say anything too out of line, but you have to admit that Hillary and Obama would have an obvious sway with swinging/casual voters, or those that don't usually vote.................................................

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 03:48:11 PM »

I see what you mean. Hillary could also get the NY vote, but that is why I think the Repubs will have Guliani as VP as well. Anyway, I don't think Hillary will win the primary so it probably won't matter on the dems side. HannaHat's right about Hillary being a love/hate thing.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 05:40:28 PM »

Vilsack at this poingt is the biggest long shot for the Dems nomination. Maybe he knows he has a lot of catching up to do, so he's starting early.

If Guiliani runs he's got my vote. He isnt controlled by the religious zealot right. And look what he did for NYC.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 07:39:49 PM »

I'm a Democrat but in name only.  I'd strongly consider voting for someone like Guliani or Ahh-nuld.  The key for me is non-neo-conservative and government hands-off when it comes to reproduction and sex.   peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Brody
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 08:49:03 PM »

imo vilsack does not have a chance.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 09:09:14 PM »

imo vilsack does not have a chance.

Agreed.  Its Hillary all the way for the Dems.  Nobody will be able to compete with Bill Clinton standing behind Hillary.

Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 09:26:05 PM »

I'm a Democrat but in name only.? I'd strongly consider voting for someone like Guliani or Ahh-nuld.? The key for me is non-neo-conservative and government hands-off when it comes to reproduction and sex.? ?peace

I am a Democrat that has never voted across the lines but if Rudy ran, especially being that I am from NY I would probably vote for him.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 09:32:33 PM »

I'm a Democrat but in name only.  I'd strongly consider voting for someone like Guliani or Ahh-nuld.  The key for me is non-neo-conservative and government hands-off when it comes to reproduction and sex.   peace

I am a Democrat that has never voted across the lines but if Rudy ran, especially being that I am from NY I would probably vote for him.

If it was a Hillary vs. Rudy ticket I don't know who I would vote for.  Would be REALLY hard.  Rudy gets so much respect for how he handled 9-11.  Would be very tough not to vote for a Clinton though.  Would be exciting, but I don't see Rudy getting the Repub nomination.  A NE, Italian Catholic from NYC of all places.  I think hes too moderate.  I think the base would take someone else, but the independents would eat him up.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 10:37:06 PM »

An Iowa governor?  I don't know anything about him.  We'll see.

Rudy G., like HannaHat said, he just doesn't fit the mold.  The Republicans won in '00 and '04 pandering to the religious wrong (oops, I meant right  Wink )  Rudy Guliani wouldn't fly.  Mitt Romney's name's been floated a few times, but again, way too left for the GOP. 
McCain's already had a warm-up pandering to the religious right down in the southeast.  Was it Bob Jones University? 

The Republicans are in trouble if the Democrats play it smart.  Clinton and Barack are the sexy picks right now...but isn't there a fella named Bayh out there in the midwest? 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
SLCPUNK
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 11:14:58 PM »

I am not thrilled about Hillary.

Rudy is not supposed to run.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 11:29:44 PM »

Rudy is not supposed to run.

Why?  (for both statements).

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 11:34:15 PM »

Really dude?, I thought that you were a Hillary advocate? Am I just getting you mixed up with somebody else, or have you changed your mind?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 11:42:10 PM »

Really dude?, I thought that you were a Hillary advocate? Am I just getting you mixed up with somebody else, or have you changed your mind?

You are getting me mixed up with somebody else.

I hope the Hillary ship sinks...............
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 01:14:22 AM »

Vilsacks presidential run has been as secret as Joe Bidens.  Its been know for quite awhile, I guess its only newsworthy now because hes officially annouced.  He has about as much of a chance as Christopher Dodd.

As far as I can tell, John Edwards is the Democratic frontrunner.  John McCain is probably the Republican choice. 

Giuliani has no chance of surviving primaries.  Neither does Kerry.  Or Joe Biden.  Or Duncan Hunter.  Or Tom Daschle.  Or Tom Tancredo.  Or Sam Brownback. 

The only serious primary candidates I can see are:

Democrats

John Edwards

Barack Obama

Hillary Clinton

Bill Richardson

Evan Bayh

Wesley Clark

Id love to say Russ Feingold had a real shot (hes my choice), but I doubt he does.  Hillary Clinton may or may not run, but I doubt shell win primaries.  The base doesnt want her and electability is shaky at best.  Evan Bayh is a longshot.  Bill Richardson and Barack Obama are strong VP possibilities.  Ive been considering the reality of an Obama run and Im not sure.  Hes the most exciting of the bunch, doesnt carry a hint of scandal and nobody (even Republicans) seems to genuinely dislike him.  The experience issue is silly.  John Kennedy served just one term in the Senate before being elected.  The race issue is a considerable one, but not impossible to overcome.  Im just not sure the electoral votes are there (though I havent done any math yet).  Wesley Clark should have more support than he does, but hes not a very exciting personality.  Hed make a great VP choice.  Edwards is the favorite because hes loved in key primary states like Iowa, strongly liked by the base, and Southern.  He could pick up states missed by Kerry, which Im not sure the others could (with the exception of Bayh, whos plain unexciting and not liked by the base). 

Mark Warner was my previous choice for favorite before withdrawing.  He definitely could have won.

Republicans

John McCain

Mitt Romney

Mike Huckabee

Bill Frist

Newt Gingrich

These are the only ones I can see at the moment.  George Allen wouldve been at the top, but...

Newt Gingrich is the base favorite, but hes a longshot.  Huckabee is a good politician who is disliked by the base.  Hes still a possibility.  Mitt Romney is a possibility I suppose, but he too isnt well-liked by the base.  He has potential moderate appeal but hes Mormon and his administration is being federally investigated for their role in the Big Dig disaster that resulted in a persons death.  Still a possible VP candidate (assuming hes vindicated in that investigation). Frist isnt happening, but will probably mount a run anyway and get some southern support.  The party will likely compromise with McCain, whos solidly conservative but still disliked by the base.  Hes loved by moderates and some uninformed liberals and the most electable of the bunch.  I think his staunch Bush-support over the past four years may have backfired.  I believe he meant to endear himself to Bushs base and potential 2008 delegates, but has worried some of the moderates that used to like him so much. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 05:16:58 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 07:08:57 AM »

actually Booker, in a book he wrote, Obama mentions using marijuana and "maybe" doing some blow.  Unfortunately, this will be used against him politically so yeah, there's a negative here...not to mention the obvious race factor which guarantees failure in a racist south. Sad

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: