Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:09:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AFD Voted #1 Rock Album Of All Time By Kerrang
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AFD Voted #1 Rock Album Of All Time By Kerrang  (Read 6771 times)
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2006, 03:32:43 PM »

I bought my first copy of 'Appetite For Destruction' on October 10, 1987. It was literally a day that changed the life of a then-16 year old teen. Because I was the first person I knew who had this album, I felt as if I were a GN'R messiah, trying to spread the word about this landmark recording to my fellow friends and high school students. The album helped teach me that life outside my small town wasn't always pretty, and that it was ok to fight authority figures if you believed in what you were fighting for.

It is unquestionably the best album of all time, in my humble opinion.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »

Some one please scan the Kerrang article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  OR post a link
Refused
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2006, 05:19:12 PM »

Some one please scan the Kerrang article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? OR post a link

I've been looking for the article online, but no luck so far.
The price of the magazine is extortinate, so haven't actually purchased it myself! If I can get hold of a copy I shall scan it.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2006, 05:20:09 PM »

Actually, Led Zeppelin II is just as good as IV. AFD is the best straight hard rock album since Led Zeppelin II in my opinion. Led Zeppelin IV is a great combination of Led Zeppelin I, II, and III (but not really a straight up hard rock album due to "The Battle of Evermore," "Going To California, and "Stairway to Heaven" being more ballad-type songs). I definitely would have AFD in my top 5 of rock albums, but probably not #1.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 05:21:43 PM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2006, 05:46:38 PM »

AFD, Zeppelin I and IV, and Exile On Main Street are all on the #1 spot. It all depends on mood.

After that it gets a little cloudy. Back In Black, Album Of The Year, Let It Bleed, Zeppelin II, Physical Grafitti, Beggars Banquet, A Night At The Opera. Many great ones.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 05:48:26 PM by polluxlm » Logged

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2006, 07:57:48 PM »

fuck zeppelin fuck bob dylan fuck black sabbath

appetite is number 1

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2006, 03:28:08 AM »

fuck zeppelin fuck bob dylan fuck black sabbath

appetite is number 1

GN'R would have never been what they were without the likes of Zeppelin and Sabbath. So with that in mind, I say, "Fuck you."
GeraldFord
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2006, 03:34:03 AM »

you guys are crazy calling AFD the best rock album of all time.? I would say it's in the top 20 or so, but definately not the best ever.? You can't even compare AFD to albums like the beatles' white album, abbey road, and sgt. sepper's, Dylan's Blood on the Tracks or Highway 61 revisited, etc. (the list goes on).? AFD is a fucking great album but definately isn't in the league that these other albums are in, as far as what they did for changing music etc.? AFD has a lot of great songs but didn't really change the way people approach pop music.

Falcon, is that you?
GeraldFord
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2006, 03:34:59 AM »

AFD, UYI > Dylan, Nirvana....IMHO.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2006, 03:39:07 AM »

AFD is definatly the greatest DEBUT album ever.  And arguably the greatest hard rock album. But when you start throwing in Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, etc, it gets harder to determine.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2006, 03:40:34 AM »

AFD is definatly the greatest DEBUT album ever.  And arguably the greatest hard rock album. But when you start throwing in Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, etc, it gets harder to determine.

Yep, it's the best debut for sure. I don't think it's a better hard rock album than Led Zeppelin II, however. They're on the same level pretty much in my book.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2006, 03:45:14 AM »

Actually Zeppelin II gets my vote also
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2006, 04:13:16 AM »

you guys are crazy calling AFD the best rock album of all time.? I would say it's in the top 20 or so, but definately not the best ever.? You can't even compare AFD to albums like the beatles' white album, abbey road, and sgt. sepper's, Dylan's Blood on the Tracks or Highway 61 revisited, etc. (the list goes on).? AFD is a fucking great album but definately isn't in the league that these other albums are in, as far as what they did for changing music etc.? AFD has a lot of great songs but didn't really change the way people approach pop music.

AFD was voted the best rock album of all time, not the best album of all time, nor the most influential album of all time.

And even though tremendously influential, those album you mention had a lot of crappy songs and filler tracks, hell the beatles even let Ringo sing lead on some of the tracks! That's just like letting Duff sing lead or something, how stupid would that be...

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2006, 04:18:26 AM »

hey dont knock Octopus's Garden.
micfac
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2006, 05:58:37 AM »

i  got appetite in 1988 at the perfect time in my life- i was 14 and had just started buying lp's instead of taping the charts as i had done before - i thinks its true that everyone looks back on the era they discover music as the greatest period of music  there is. just ask anyone brought up the sixties no one will ever touch the beatles ,stones or led zep in their opinion. i look back on the late eighties and see metallica u2 maiden all in their prime and thats my era -i even loved bon jovi and def leppard back then . nearly twenties year on  i have a slighty different view on some of that stuff but one undiminishing fact remains to this day appetite was mind blowingly good back then and it still is today so "take that one to heart". ok
savedsol
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2006, 02:14:51 PM »

I'm going to date myself but NOBODY cared about AFD when it came out. It didn't really get going until 88-89.
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2006, 02:28:22 PM »

i thinks its true that everyone looks back on the era they discover music as the greatest period of music  there is. just ask anyone brought up the sixties no one will ever touch the beatles ,stones or led zep in their opinion. i look back on the late eighties and see metallica u2 maiden all in their prime and thats my era -i even loved bon jovi and def leppard back then .

Whatever music you were into when you first started getting laid is the best music ever made. It's an incontrovertible law of nature.
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2006, 02:29:41 PM »

I'm going to date myself but NOBODY cared about AFD when it came out.
Now come on, there were at least five people who had a great deal of interest in it. Sadly, I think five sales are all that's needed to debut at #185.
hbkthepromking
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2006, 02:34:37 PM »

Realize that this is Kerrang....so it should really say 'Hard Rock'.  So the Beatles and Dylan aren't in the discussion.  I would disagree that 'it didn't really change the way people approach pop music'.  I would agree with most that Grunge officially killed the glam scene which was dominating the late 80's, but Appetite paved the way for it all.  GNR bridged the gap between the two genres and Appetite was the main reason.
axleu
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2006, 04:10:51 PM »

I hate Led zep (I just can't fuckin' stand this band, that's all), the Beatles annoy me, and the list goes on...

So yeah, I think Appetite for destruction is the best rock album of all time (even though I'll always have a soft spot for the Use you illusion!!!!).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: