Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 10:32:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228116 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Concerns of the album's release date from a music store employee
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concerns of the album's release date from a music store employee  (Read 24385 times)
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2006, 10:30:10 PM »

It's no use arguing facts with the blindly faithful. To them, anything that points to the album not being released is just part of the "masterplan" to keep a secret.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2006, 11:03:54 PM »

your concerns certainly are valid, but remember there are 2 months left in the year...alot can happen
EstrangedReality
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2006, 12:16:02 AM »

To the person who started this thread, I don't know you personally so please don't take this to heart......you've wasted alot of your time with all your faithless thinking.

Yes the cd can just show up at record stores.  It does not need months worth of promotion or notice.

Artist have released their cds prior to their intended/announced release date to avoid leaks.

If that's really what you believe, forgive my telling you this, but you are a rather ignorant person. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all or implying that, as an employee at a record store, I'd have more info than any of you. But the simple fact is that it is impossible for an album to be released a couple days before its intended debut for the simple fact that outlets (a) need to be able to SCHEDULE the album for release, (b) update their systems, and (c) as a result include bar code info.

When you buy a CD the PLU is scanned. Do you know why? Because it contains information on the album, including its price.

If an album drops as a "surprise" on Tuesday, November 21st, stores would need to know ahead of time.

Maybe this works differently for independently run, smaller stores - but unless Merck plans on only having Chinese Democracy sold in willing indie stores in the middle of nowhere, it won't work.

The major outlets - HMV, Virgin, Amazon, B&N, Borders, etc. - don't work that way. And no "master plan" is going to change that.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2006, 12:34:35 AM »

He also said in 1999 that it was going to be released. Take everything that Axl Rose says with a grain of salt.

Oh I do. I was just responding to the person who claimed that Axl never even said that it would be released this year.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2006, 12:55:39 AM »

MAn, if it doesnt come out this year...I think im going to do some coke and shoot someone. I havent been phazed at all by all the hope that has come countless times, but this time...it has really gotten to me. I am not going to be up for playing anymore if it doesnt come this year.

Fuck Axl, don't let me down.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2006, 01:00:38 AM »

your concerns certainly are valid, but remember there are 2 months left in the year...alot can happen
One month and a half, six Tuesdays until Christmas.

I'll download it !
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2006, 01:03:04 AM »

GNR is in no way conventional.

They will not go about releasing the album the same way as other artists.

If that causes inconvenience to music stores, i doubt the band would care all that much.
riotact_vancity
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2006, 01:14:10 AM »

here's a thought...maybe they WILL drop the album with no notice...but on iTunes or for purchase from their or licensed websites...not necessarily to achieve some grand master surprise, but to maximize the money the record company gets back...cut out the middle man. After all, they've dropped 13 mill on a guy who quite frankly, ain't gonna sell 15 million albums...
EstrangedReality
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2006, 01:25:10 AM »

GNR is in no way conventional.

They will not go about releasing the album the same way as other artists.

If that causes inconvenience to music stores, i doubt the band would care all that much.

Talk about needing to "reconnect to reality."  Roll Eyes

It's not an "inconvenience" to music stores, it means they can't sell the album.

If an album is dropped without the PLU bar code being in systems then the album literally cannot be sold. That is one of many problems.

The only outlet that they could pull off a surprise release with would be maybe on iTunes, but I can't imagine that happening because as soon as people download the songs through iTunes they'd start sharing them. I think if anything they're going to want to discourage downloading the music and have copy-protection on the album.
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2006, 01:29:31 AM »

I've been saying for a while that there is a lot to releasing an album, and the artist doesn't have a whole lot of say in a lot of aspects. Merck just can't go into Interscope and say: "Okay. We're ready. Release it today."

It ain't coming out in November and I'm having major doubts about December. That's reality. Anyone who wants to hang on to the fantasy is setting themsleves up for major disappointment.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
EstrangedReality
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2006, 01:39:26 AM »

I've been saying for a while that there is a lot to releasing an album, and the artist doesn't have a whole lot of say in a lot of aspects. Merck just can't go into Interscope and say: "Okay. We're ready. Release it today."

It ain't coming out in November and I'm having major doubts about December. That's reality. Anyone who wants to hang on to the fantasy is setting themsleves up for major disappointment.

I'm glad someone else can balance reality against expectations.

I mean, I want nothing more than to hear this record by the end of the year, but as a reality it's slimming more and more each passing day.

What is not comforting is that so many aspects of the band seem to be neglected or contradictory. Stuff is posted and then removed from the official website with no explanation, and Axl hasn't actually said the words "Chinese Democracy" for as long as I can remember.

When you're on tour to help promote an album that's coming out in a month and a half it may be a good thing to remind the casual fans at the shows that, hey, this year is the year.

By not even mentioning it to all the people who are out of the loop, he's ruining great potential.

The news report of the Maine cancellation interviewed fans of the old GN'R who weren't even aware of a new album being out. Imagine if Axl closed the show by reminding them that it's coming out soon.

It's the little stuff like that which makes me feel uneasy about the album's release...it's like Axl is ignoring it altogether.

I can understand him growing weary of CD concerns, but he has to expect that a lot of people are going to be curious after more than a decade.
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2006, 01:47:16 AM »

I'm not being negative or anything, but GNR fans have been let down so many times before I've just become immune to it. I just hate to see the rest of the fans being let down... again.

It would be nice for someone "official" to just say "Yes. It is coming out this year. Plans are set"

I've never understood what advantage can be gained by keeping fans out of the loop. To be honest, I haven't understood many things in the workings of GNR.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2006, 01:51:21 AM »

I've never understood what advantage can be gained by keeping fans out of the loop. To be honest, I haven't understood many things in the workings of GNR.
Franz Kafka wrote that sometimes the most intelligent tricks and stratagems turn against the person who conceived them...

Maybe someone in the newgnr camp should meditate on that.

I'll download it !
Wizzah
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2006, 02:01:55 AM »

I personally think it's kind of sad how far people are willing to go on "blind" faith.
This is 2006 people...Corporations work in a certain fashion....as much as we love GN'R...HUGE corporations could CARE LESS about Axl and company...

MAJOR RETAILERS work in a certain format...They are not going to jump through hoops for CD....If 99.99% of albums are released in a certain fashion.....That is how they are released....

Please understand how a business works...There is a lot more to it than the CD just showing up, slapping a $11.99 sticker on it and putting it on the shelf...EVERYTHING is automated and done through computers....IT HAS TO BE IN THE SYSTEM, and space given for it on the shelves....Thats just the way it works guys....

We are all eagerly awaiting the album....but sometimes you have to think sanely....as much as WE love GN'R....major corporations are not going to bust their own balls to give Axl full reign on how they do business...
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2006, 02:54:58 AM »

To the person who started this thread, I don't know you personally so please don't take this to heart......you've wasted alot of your time with all your faithless thinking.

Yes the cd can just show up at record stores.? It does not need months worth of promotion or notice.

Artist have released their cds prior to their intended/announced release date to avoid leaks.

If that's really what you believe, forgive my telling you this, but you are a rather ignorant person. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all or implying that, as an employee at a record store, I'd have more info than any of you. But the simple fact is that it is impossible for an album to be released a couple days before its intended debut for the simple fact that outlets (a) need to be able to SCHEDULE the album for release, (b) update their systems, and (c) as a result include bar code info.

When you buy a CD the PLU is scanned. Do you know why? Because it contains information on the album, including its price.

If an album drops as a "surprise" on Tuesday, November 21st, stores would need to know ahead of time.

Maybe this works differently for independently run, smaller stores - but unless Merck plans on only having Chinese Democracy sold in willing indie stores in the middle of nowhere, it won't work.

The major outlets - HMV, Virgin, Amazon, B&N, Borders, etc. - don't work that way. And no "master plan" is going to change that.

When you buy a CD the PLU is scanned. Do you know why? Because it contains information on the album, including its price.-Very true. However, this can fixed in a matter of seconds. I used to work in an electronics store, if something was suddenly deleted off the system, it could be added again in mere seconds.

Again, the only reason they'd need to know ahead of time would be to make purchases of the album from their vendors. Otherwise, no notice is really needed. It may be a bother to try and work in the "Guns N' Roses" section of the store or the new release wall, but this can be remmided by simply pulling copies of AFD from the GN'R section or reducing the amount of facings of the new, amazing P Diddy album (just an example, he doesn't have one, as far as I know). While certain rules will differ from store to store, a release that's huge enough, rules can be and would be tossed out the window.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2006, 03:03:09 AM »

I hate to tell you this, but a GNR album release with no promotion would not be considered "huge" by any means.
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2006, 03:04:10 AM »

Maybe not, but everyone's acting like the store would need 8 motherfuckin' months notice to figure out where to put the damn album.

EstrangedReality
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2006, 03:06:32 AM »

Again, the only reason they'd need to know ahead of time would be to make purchases of the album from their vendors. Otherwise, no notice is really needed. It may be a bother to try and work in the "Guns N' Roses" section of the store or the new release wall, but this can be remmided by simply pulling copies of AFD from the GN'R section or reducing the amount of facings of the new, amazing P Diddy album (just an example, he doesn't have one, as far as I know).

That's not realistic. An average shipment of new releases for most average-sized stores is about 80 - 120 depending on the demand. (Example: Sam's Town we got many of, whereas Fergie's CD barely any.)

You can't make room last minute for this many CDs. Pulling AFD out of the GN'R section will result in maybe two or three album slots.

As for the New Release spots - yes, they are all modeled deliberately, and most stores have the exact whereabouts of albums in their systems so that they can find something. Our store has a floor layout, a database, and a monthly print-out with revisions listing the location of every new release in the store.

While certain rules will differ from store to store, a release that's huge enough, rules can be and would be tossed out the window.[/b]

Retailers don't care about GN'R more than any other hot, big new release. To them it's just another album. Next Tuesday there will be more.

It's Universal who cares more about GN'R, and they are going to guarantee a $13 million album is promoted to its full extent.

Maybe not, but everyone's acting like the store would need 8 motherfuckin' months notice to figure out where to put the damn album.

Puh-lease. No one ever said that or implied it.

But they do need more than a week or a month. The world doesn't bend over for Guns N' Roses. Stores nationwide aren't going to all change their policies to make room for a single album.
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2006, 03:14:26 AM »

Again, the only reason they'd need to know ahead of time would be to make purchases of the album from their vendors. Otherwise, no notice is really needed. It may be a bother to try and work in the "Guns N' Roses" section of the store or the new release wall, but this can be remmided by simply pulling copies of AFD from the GN'R section or reducing the amount of facings of the new, amazing P Diddy album (just an example, he doesn't have one, as far as I know).

That's not realistic. An average shipment of new releases for most average-sized stores is about 80 - 120 depending on the demand. (Example: Sam's Town we got many of, whereas Fergie's CD barely any.)

You can't make room last minute for this many CDs. Pulling AFD out of the GN'R section will result in maybe two or three album slots.

As for the New Release spots - yes, they are all modeled deliberately, and most stores have the exact whereabouts of albums in their systems so that they can find something. Our store has a floor layout, a database, and a monthly print-out with revisions listing the location of every new release in the store.

While certain rules will differ from store to store, a release that's huge enough, rules can be and would be tossed out the window.[/b]

Retailers don't care about GN'R more than any other hot, big new release. To them it's just another album. Next Tuesday there will be more.

It's Universal who cares more about GN'R, and they are going to guarantee a $13 million album is promoted to its full extent.

Puh-lease. No one ever said that or implied it.

But they do need more than a week or a month. The world doesn't bend over for Guns N' Roses. Stores nationwide aren't going to all change their policies to make room for a single album.

That's true. However, the store can always change plans. Not sure when you're store or each store for that matter, will do it's Tuesday New Release set-up, but it can easily be accommodated. We used to get shipments of things all the time we weren't expecting with notes from Head Office "This MUST go here and be displayed this way". We didn't get a week's notice, we might get a day or we got any at all and that would just be, "So and so is arriving, instructions are gonna be Fed-Ex'd and should arrive with it.

Yes, so did ours, but again, if Universal gives the word to stores, CD is coming and you'd better find a space for it, the store will find a space for it.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just arguing the point that the album doesn't need a huge promo to land in stores. I don't really believe that it will be there Nov 21, but it could be.

Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2006, 04:55:23 AM »

I'm just arguing the point that the album doesn't need a huge promo to land in stores.
Maybe CD will be released secretely, selling as few copies as possible to prevent too many people from listening to it.
Maybe CD has already been released under a different name, and we don't know. Stupid people as us aren't able to understand management's and record company's stratagems. Those people went to college, you know. There's a master plan going on...

I'll download it !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: