Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:03:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Concerns of the album's release date from a music store employee
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concerns of the album's release date from a music store employee  (Read 24213 times)
EstrangedReality
« on: November 07, 2006, 03:22:27 AM »

Not to beat a dead horse, I know people have been bitching about whether it'll be out for real or not this year. I've been totally stoked and when people said the album wasn't coming this year, there was always the successful tour to fall back on. People said it's another 2002, but there was always the fact that, hey, they aren't canceling... But now after only eight shows they are. Knowing Axl's behavior, I doubt it has to do with pyro limitations. Someone on another website claims Axl was pissed that there weren't enough tickets sold, and as a result refused to play for a minimal crowd.

I think he only has himself to blame - he maybe felt a surge of confidence because of strong overseas ticket sales, but that's Europe. He should have learned from 2002 that America is different and he can't rely upon the name alone to tour. They need an album to promote or mainstream America won't be turning out like the Europeans did.

My concern is that, as an employee at a music store, I know it's impossible for an album to drop and not give stores a month's notice at least. ESPECIALLY around Christmas. At our store we have a music catalog system which is universal and is updated months in advance of when an album is going to be released. For example, we have all new releases listed up through early 2007, and those that are undetermined have a listed release date of "2025," but this means they are confirmed as upcoming  releases without a solid date. CD doesn't even have a 2025 release date, which means it hasn't even been verified as an upcoming release. One would imagine if they want to keep the exact date a surprise, Merck still would have at least confirmed the album 100% for release this year. The fact that it's not even listed at all is hardly reassuring.

The thing is, you can't drop an album with a week's notice. The reason we have album releases dates up through Feb 07 is because stores require advance notice. Shelving and promotions are scheduled. You can't announce an album a week in advance - there will be no room for the album in stores and it will get shelved somewhere where it isn't even visible. And the new releases won't be shelved under Guns N' Roses because you can't fit more than a few albums under an artist header card - stores don't devote an entire wall just to GN'R. So they're going to get stuck with three copies of Chinese Democracy under the GN'R section and the rest will be in overstock.

Everything was going great, but first the thing with the website happened. They promised video, it wasn't delivered, and then they just completely removed it. And there haven't been any significant updates in weeks, save one, which was swiftly deleted for no explanatory reason. It doesn't look too good when the official website fails to deliver promised material, the band cancels a show for curious reasons, and - as trollish as this sounds - they honestly aren't selling out tickets as expected. There's no album confirmed yet and we're nearing the middle of the month already. We have a month and a half left before the end of the year, and if they're going to release it this year it's almost guaranteed that they would do so before Christmas, which really just gives us mid-November through early-December. If this is happening stores will have to receive notice I'd say within the next week - or else stores will refuse to carry stock, and those that do agree to last-minute stock will have no room for the album and multiple copies will be shoved into overstock.

I just thought I'd add a different perspective to this. I want you all to know every day at work I search our catalog database for Chinese Democracy. It's not just connected to our store, it's basically a universal database powered by AllMusicGuide, so it's completely up-to-date. We don't have GN'R scheduled on any print-out sheets for the end-of-the-year promotion - other albums are already reserved spots on the floor and New Release shelves.

I always search for CD in the hopes that, one day, it will be listed. But as every day passes, from a realistic standpoint it becomes less...well...realistic.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 03:24:05 AM by EstrangedReality » Logged
hackvresse
Rocker

I'm God

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 03:28:21 AM »

My concern is that, as an employee at a music store, I know it's impossible for an album to drop and not give stores a month's notice at least. ESPECIALLY around Christmas. At our store we have a music catalog system which is universal and is updated months in advance of when an album is going to be released. For example, we have all new releases listed up through early 2007, and those that are undetermined have a listed release date of "2025," but this means they are confirmed as upcoming  releases without a solid date. CD doesn't even have a 2025 release date, which means it hasn't even been verified as an upcoming release. One would imagine if they want to keep the exact date a surprise, Merck still would have at least confirmed the album 100% for release this year. The fact that it's not even listed at all is hardly reassuring.

The thing is, you can't drop an album with a week's notice. The reason we have album releases dates up through Feb 07 is because stores require advance notice. Shelving and promotions are scheduled. You can't announce an album a week in advance - there will be no room for the album in stores and it will get shelved somewhere where it isn't even visible. And the new releases won't be shelved under Guns N' Roses because you can't fit more than a few albums under an artist header card - stores don't devote an entire wall just to GN'R. So they're going to get stuck with three copies of Chinese Democracy under the GN'R section and the rest will be in overstock.

that what I think and that is why CD will not be released this year, it is just not possible. let's be realistic..

maybe we'd be better off without you anyway
EstrangedReality
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 03:33:48 AM »

I'll give you all another quick example. I'm a big fan of Tom Waits. His album is coming out November 21st in the US (rumored release date for CD).

We've had it listed for preorder with full details, cover art and technical credits for the past two months or so in our system. It leaked onto the Internet a week ago, has been listed on Amazon.com for months and there are full details on it there, also. Waits already released full previews for the album AND three tracks were officially released last month as samples.

We have it scheduled to be shelved under the Waits section in our store and to have numerous copies filed on the New Releases display.

CD hasn't even been confirmed yet. If it's out ANY time in November (21st or not), how are we supposed to - as a store - make room for it last minute?

We'd have to re-do the New Releases, move everything around, create new floor plans in relation to the albums, update our database, update our ordering system, update our scanners which tell us where the albums are located in the store, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sorry, but as each day passes it's becoming more fantasy.

I hope to God it's out this year, I really do. But I'm becoming doubtful for the first time in many years.
axlschild
Headliner

..when your taking to yourself..and nobody's home

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 03:38:09 AM »

Last week i was getting tattooed and my tatooist best mate came in, he owns the local independant record store where i live. so i though this was my chance to get some info on releases. he said they get stuff turn up out of the blue. they can get a box of cd's with a press release attched stating day for the cd to be sold. it's not unknown for products to turn up on a friday afternoon that are to be released the following monday.
maybe it works differntly for you hmv's /virgins etc but why should they get more info than any other store selling cd.
just what i got from this guy anyway....

peace

Don't play your guitar when your talking to me...

Milton Keynes '93
Leeds '02
Download '06
Sheffield '06
Nottingham '06
Leeds '10
Birmingham '12
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 03:43:37 AM »

Yep, you're presenting a very realistic situation. Thanks for doing so. The media backlash, even if it comes out in 2007, will be insane. Seriously, they already hate Axl in the first place. I'm sure a lot of diehards would never forgive/trust him again either, even if it comes out in '07. He's said numerous times this year that '06 is the year and Merck has confirmed it a couple of times as well lately. Their credibility is already in the dumps with the public, and it will be essentially ZERO if this album does not come out this year (even if it's the last Tuesday of the year they'll still be keeping their promise).
EstrangedReality
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 03:44:27 AM »

Last week i was getting tattooed and my tatooist best mate came in, he owns the local independant record store where i live. so i though this was my chance to get some info on releases. he said they get stuff turn up out of the blue. they can get a box of cd's with a press release attched stating day for the cd to be sold. it's not unknown for products to turn up on a friday afternoon that are to be released the following monday.
maybe it works differntly for you hmv's /virgins etc but why should they get more info than any other store selling cd.
just what i got from this guy anyway....

peace

Hmm, all I can offer is that perhaps if he runs an independent record store he is not as corporate and therefore can individually make room for albums. If he gets in a shipment he can do whatever because he's his own boss. Furthermore, if he's getting in non-mainstream records - e.g. self-produced albums by artists, or regional albums from local bands - it's not uncommon for stuff like that. We get in unexpected shipments, too, sometimes; but when you have a NEW RELEASE you still have to have that album in your store's system or there will be nowhere for it to go. If CD is in the store's system they can get a random shipment on Friday morning for it to be shelved Monday, but if it's not listed in the system THEN there's a problem.

Also, if this guy literally means he just gets new releases in randomly with little notice, it may BE because it's an independent store and they are not a priority. In the mainstream it doesn't work like that. The major sources for albums - Amazon, HMV, Virgin Megastore, Borders, Barnes & Noble, iTunes, etc. - are given releases well in advance.
EstrangedReality
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 03:52:03 AM »

Yep, you're presenting a very realistic situation. Thanks for doing so. The media backlash, even if it comes out in 2007, will be insane. Seriously, they already hate Axl in the first place. I'm sure a lot of diehards would never forgive/trust him again either, even if it comes out in '07. He's said numerous times this year that '06 is the year and Merck has confirmed it a couple of times as well lately. Their credibility is already in the dumps with the public, and it will be essentially ZERO if this album does not come out this year (even if it's the last Tuesday of the year they'll still be keeping their promise).

This canceled show is going to hurt them more than they might think, NOT because it's necessarily a disgrace (although I think they could have sacrified their pyro for one evening for the sake of the many fans who had purchased tickets), but because - and I'm wondering at this point whether Axl/Merck understand this - every time you cancel a show, or fail to deliver a promise (such as website material or an album), you are lowering people's confidence.

When the Euro tour started I had no reason to doubt them. It was a clean slate in my mind, and they didn't get into anything except for the whole arrest incident - and even then, they sacrified Axl's ego (he apologized) in order to meet their agenda. When Axl was sick he played a full set and only left at the last song. That was all well and good and helped rebuild a lot of faith in the band which had been crippled by 2002 cancellations.

But now this. It's not a matter of whether we should consider it terrible or not - it's a matter of realizing that to the outside world it's going to be misconstrued as another GN'R let-down, and a lot of people are going to instinctively lower their faith in the band's promise that the album will be released this year.

A single being dropped right now would help immensely.

Right now, I'm just fearing the critical backlash that Axl and co. are going to receive for tonight's canceled show. It's going to be a playground for the haters, and it has the potential to really destroy the band at this point.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 03:57:27 AM »

hey we can do our own music video  (Still no links to the leaks - Skeba)
maybe we can do our own album ?

come on guys
chill out.
there are a lot of things to worry about beside cd.
lets just enjoy the music we have, the concerts, and when cd comes, cd comes. no big deal.
2007 is fine with me Smiley

on the "technical/timing" issues.
i usually want to hope and dream that they have a secret plan, in terms of marketing / promotion? / delivering the album.
but i just realuze they are just not interested in the classical way the industry works.
good for them.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 05:09:38 AM by Skeba » Logged

Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 04:16:39 AM »

a cd can be announced and released within days. alot of bands do it all the time on 2 week notice

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 04:31:56 AM »

he said they get stuff turn up out of the blue.

Same here, I was asking that to my local store here in Brussels. It's kind of a little shop that sells only RN'R records, but he said that sometimes they get boxes with records that weren't announced, along with a PR regarding the artist.

Or, in they database, a record can sort of 'pop-up' out of nowhere ...

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
The General
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 04:35:15 AM »

I dont understand this cause there have newer been an official announcement that it would come out in 2006?.

The only things that has been said is:

Axl: You will here music this year (it could be a singel or anything)

Merck: There are bla bla tuesday left in 2006 (does that mean that a album come out this year?)

The new gunsnroses.com is a very good and simple site, that keeps you updated on the tings that are important.

Duffio
Rocker

uh oh, they're back...

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 04:46:26 AM »

I'll give you all another quick example. I'm a big fan of Tom Waits. His album is coming out November 21st in the US (rumored release date for CD).

We've had it listed for preorder with full details, cover art and technical credits for the past two months or so in our system. It leaked onto the Internet a week ago, has been listed on Amazon.com for months and there are full details on it there, also. Waits already released full previews for the album AND three tracks were officially released last month as samples.

We have it scheduled to be shelved under the Waits section in our store and to have numerous copies filed on the New Releases display.

CD hasn't even been confirmed yet. If it's out ANY time in November (21st or not), how are we supposed to - as a store - make room for it last minute?

We'd have to re-do the New Releases, move everything around, create new floor plans in relation to the albums, update our database, update our ordering system, update our scanners which tell us where the albums are located in the store, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sorry, but as each day passes it's becoming more fantasy.

I hope to God it's out this year, I really do. But I'm becoming doubtful for the first time in many years.
That can be done within aweek.. but I understand what you're saying.. who knows??
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 05:23:17 AM »

- as trollish as this sounds - they honestly aren't selling out tickets as expected.
It doesn't sound trollish. It's just the truth. They aren't in Europe anymore.

Thanks for your great post. Let's wait and see what happens...

I'll download it !
slunksoma
Headliner

Here Today...Gone to Bed

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 05:42:09 AM »

There is also the idea that the stores DO know about it and they just arent putting it up for "public" display (by which i mean inputting it on the system for YOU to see Grin)
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 05:50:22 AM »

if it's 2007 then we have at least to wait till march...

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
TOPGUNner
Rocker

Gonna call the president...

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 06:21:18 AM »

I work at a music store as well, and I check our system every day for any new Guns and Roses info and there's not. Even if Axl wanted to album to just "show up" music stores would need to put the UPC in their system to sell it. So I can't see this album dropping with out some sort of information about when it will come out.

Got a one way ticket on your last chance ride
Got a one way ticket to your suicide
Meanmachine22
Rocker

Trust me it's worth the waiting...

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 06:36:13 AM »

Either ther is a huge mystic masterplan that is involving basicly every record dealer on planet earth ( meaning that  no "normal" employee gets to know anything) or CD will not drop this year...
What abot this: Eminem also has a new cd in the next weeks, right? I think the amount of cd's that will be placed in the stores will be equal to the amount that will be placed for Guns ...
What "IF" they just say Eminems album will be released on xxxxxx and instead thy 'll drop CD and the Eminem album close before christmas?

ahh forget it.. just a dumb thought

"when i say the time is right..well, than the time is right fuckhead!"
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 06:38:54 AM »

Expect anything from GN'R and Axl. Hold on, we'll see...

peace

"...It don't really matter..."
ben9785
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 06:44:18 AM »

Expect anything from GN'R and Axl. Hold on, we'll see...

peace
Yeah. I mean if they went as far as feature a RS article with Merck confirming that "it could drop on any tuesday", it seems pretty definite, at least that they've got something in the works. And if this is due to change, again, considering this information has been printed in a large scale publication from an official source, they really need to put some sort of statement out if there are any changes to this schedule.

I posted a new thread..'in light of.........', i was hoping it would get some answers from a band source to try to ease all this negativity down and stuff like that
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 07:07:47 AM »

If theres a 'two-week notice', something should pop up today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: