Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:42:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Concerns of the album's release date from a music store employee
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concerns of the album's release date from a music store employee  (Read 24239 times)
TOPGUNner
Rocker

Gonna call the president...

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2006, 06:04:42 AM »

Why is this date of November 21st popping up again. Did Universal Music say something about that day?

Got a one way ticket on your last chance ride
Got a one way ticket to your suicide
jake.e.lee
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2006, 06:25:10 AM »

I think it would help if he actually had musicians playing with him that were better known. I mean the average G n R fan has no idea who some of these guys are like Robin Finch or whoever else he has playing for him. I mean come on Axl get some decent musicians with somewhat of a name and that will help out alot. I hope the album is decent and il check it out but to expect another UYI 1 and 2 would be far fetched.
TOPGUNner
Rocker

Gonna call the president...

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2006, 06:26:14 AM »

I think it would help if he actually had musicians playing with him that were better known. I mean the average G n R fan has no idea who some of these guys are like Robin Finch or whoever else he has playing for him. I mean come on Axl get some decent musicians with somewhat of a name and that will help out alot. I hope the album is decent and il check it out but to expect another UYI 1 and 2 would be far fetched.

Can we screen new posters before we allow them to post nonsense like the above?

Got a one way ticket on your last chance ride
Got a one way ticket to your suicide
ben9785
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2006, 06:29:24 AM »

I don't want to misinterpret or misunderstand your post, but I'm gathering your criticising the current musicians in the band just because they aren't "decent musicians with somewhat of a name"?

The people in the band are world class musicians not only in their own individual rights and background and achievements but collectively and most importantly they work very well together. I don't know exactly how long you've been following the progress since they started touring in 2000 but, especially this year, the lineup have proved that, yes, they're not the old GNR, but that does not, in any way, make them any less in terms of their musicianship. I'm not biased to anybody, but Robin Finck for example, may not be a virtuoso guitarist but he plays with soul and passion. Bumblefoot is an amazing guitarist who is in a league with Slash if not further ahead in terms of technicality. Don't discredit these people because they don't "have a name". They're fucking amazing musicians who bring new energy into GNR. If you miss the old guys, fair enough, but there's Velvet Revolver..
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 06:31:51 AM by ben114 » Logged
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2006, 06:33:00 AM »

hahaha, yeah.

i think what we have already heard is a match for UYI songs.

The blues- absoulutely killer, a stronge "chart" single!

Madagascar-like something off pink floyds the wall, whcih is widely regarded as one of the best albums ever.

Better- nuff said, have you actuallly heard this! awesome especially the outro.

IRS- good song, rockin, big time! the finished version will be heavy as fuck imo.

TWAT- think estranged or coma, but better!!!

CITR-the version thats "ahem" avaialable is excellent but the sound quality is poor

Chinese democracy- i think this will be much better recorded on the album, but its already strong.

so i think the new songs are a match for even the great greaty songs from UYI

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
ben9785
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2006, 06:36:05 AM »

hahaha, yeah.

Madagascar-like something off pink floyds the wall, whcih is widely regarded as one of the best albums ever.

IRS- good song, rockin, big time! the finished version will be heavy as fuck imo.

CITR-the version thats "ahem" avaialable is excellent but the sound quality is poor

Chinese democracy- i think this will be much better recorded on the album, but its already strong.

That's absolutely right on. The old songs are exactly that. Classics.
That I have absolutely no doubt, will at the very least, be matched, if not excelled.

When these killer, groundbreaking, amazing songs, which we've only heard in odd live bootlegs and rough demos, surface in their final versions in all their polished and blasting glory, it's going to make some of the older stuff sound irrelevant. I can honestly tell you that I listen to alot of GNR's stuff across the board, stuff off "Lies" through to "The Spaghetti Incident", but the absolute truth is that I keep going back to the newer stuff because I feel it alot more and I love it.
Z
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2006, 09:45:03 AM »

To the person who started this thread, I don't know you personally so please don't take this to heart......you've wasted alot of your time with all your faithless thinking.

Yes the cd can just show up at record stores.? It does not need months worth of promotion or notice.

Artist have released their cds prior to their intended/announced release date to avoid leaks.

If that's really what you believe, forgive my telling you this, but you are a rather ignorant person. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all or implying that, as an employee at a record store, I'd have more info than any of you. But the simple fact is that it is impossible for an album to be released a couple days before its intended debut for the simple fact that outlets (a) need to be able to SCHEDULE the album for release, (b) update their systems, and (c) as a result include bar code info.

When you buy a CD the PLU is scanned. Do you know why? Because it contains information on the album, including its price.

If an album drops as a "surprise" on Tuesday, November 21st, stores would need to know ahead of time.

Maybe this works differently for independently run, smaller stores - but unless Merck plans on only having Chinese Democracy sold in willing indie stores in the middle of nowhere, it won't work.

The major outlets - HMV, Virgin, Amazon, B&N, Borders, etc. - don't work that way. And no "master plan" is going to change that.

I am an ingnorant person, huh??  Or, are you saying I am ignorant on this particluar subject??  Clarify....or your ignorance will indeed have shined.

Nothing is impossible.  Period.  You see the world as limited then you are limited.

Axl has broken ALL the industry rules around this album.  Ten years and 15 million dollars in the making.  What makes you think he will "follow your industry rules" when it comes to the release of the most anticipated cd release in the history of rock 'n' roll?

Granted I'm sure the system works as you've explained.  If the cds start showing up in boxes, they'll be sold from the boxes if need be because I and all my fellow army of gunners will be following them around the store saying, "I know you have copies of CD, please release them!!!!!!"

hihi hihi hihi

Fact is record stores want our money.  And if your record store won't get them out of the box than I'll go to the next......and to the next.......shit, Barnes and Noble is customer friendly to the max.  They'll pull it out of the box for me and scan it in without delay.  They've done it in the past.

What's to stop them from relesaing it on itunes or are you not an "expert" on itunes??

Well, then itunes novice-boy......I'll answer that for you........"Nothing".
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2006, 09:48:05 AM »

What is not comforting is that so many aspects of the band seem to be neglected or contradictory. Stuff is posted and then removed from the official website with no explanation, and Axl hasn't actually said the words "Chinese Democracy" for as long as I can remember.

When you're on tour to help promote an album that's coming out in a month and a half it may be a good thing to remind the casual fans at the shows that, hey, this year is the year.

By not even mentioning it to all the people who are out of the loop, he's ruining great potential.

I agree with you. The fact that Axl isn't talking about CD anymore is quite strange.

I'll download it !
jake.e.lee
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2006, 10:19:48 AM »

Look i love G N R and im sure the new players are all world class and will kick on the new CD. I was just saying that there are alot of people out there who would rather have some familiar and well known faces to go with the music and not just Axl. Didnt mean to sound like a jerk.
a.
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2006, 10:31:36 AM »

Not sure that GN'R will really require a lot of the publicity or marketing "stunts" that other acts require. I'm sure that stores will conform to any "special" wishes of the band and management. Only time will tell though, no need to spend life "philosophizing" over it.

a.
jake.e.lee
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2006, 10:44:53 AM »

Yea but this isnt really G n R its just Axl and a bunch of hired GUNS so i think a little extra marketing would help alot. I know il buy it the second it comes out but im sure alot of people will be skeptical.
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2006, 10:46:19 AM »

Is it so hard to believe that Universal tells all the major retailers "We've got an album by (insert fake name here) that's coming out on (insert date), 2006. ?Please add it to your catalogues."? ?Didn't GNR do a similar things with some music awards back in the day, by going under the alias "The Frogs" or something like that?

Given that we've seen most retailers in the past add CD to their computers with nothing happening, i doubt that it's so much to expect that they'd hide it under some fake alias. ?I doubt this would happen, but concievably, they could market the album under another major artist's name (with their permission) so that the stores get enough stock.

As for stores not being able to find space to show the album: gimme a break. ?If Universal calls up Virgin and HMV and says, we want this album in stores in 3 days, make it happen or we don't give you limited edition copies of xxx artist's stuff (like Jay-Z for instance [if he's on universal]), the stores will fall in line. ?Record companies have been doing this sort of shit to promote new artists with magazines and radio stations for years, doing it to stores is just another step in the same direction.

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2006, 11:11:19 AM »

Is it so hard to believe that Universal tells all the major retailers "We've got an album by (insert fake name here) that's coming out on (insert date), 2006.  Please add it to your catalogues."?  Didn't GNR do a similar things with some music awards back in the day, by going under the alias "The Frogs" or something like that?

Given that we've seen most retailers in the past add CD to their computers with nothing happening, i doubt that it's so much to expect that they'd hide it under some fake alias.  I doubt this would happen, but concievably, they could market the album under another major artist's name (with their permission) so that the stores get enough stock.

As for stores not being able to find space to show the album: gimme a break.  If Universal calls up Virgin and HMV and says, we want this album in stores in 3 days, make it happen or we don't give you limited edition copies of xxx artist's stuff (like Jay-Z for instance [if he's on universal]), the stores will fall in line.  Record companies have been doing this sort of shit to promote new artists with magazines and radio stations for years, doing it to stores is just another step in the same direction.

It's so silly to argue that the reason there's no more talk about a release date is because it's a "secret" now. I'm not singling you out. This is directed to anyone who has bought into this ridiculous theory. Conspiracy theorists have the easiest point of view to argue from.... any evidence against the conspiracy is just part of the conspiracy.

The reason Chinese Democracy isn't found in any music store computer is because it's not coming out, period. That's the only logical conclusion. Why on earth would a band keep the release date of their album a secret? Do they not want anyone to know when they can buy it? Ridiculous!
stardustonmyfeet
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2006, 11:18:07 AM »

hahaha, yeah.

i think that the new songs are toal kickass stuff, i like them even more then the illusion era stuff!
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2006, 11:21:13 AM »

Is it so hard to believe that Universal tells all the major retailers "We've got an album by (insert fake name here) that's coming out on (insert date), 2006.? Please add it to your catalogues."?? Didn't GNR do a similar things with some music awards back in the day, by going under the alias "The Frogs" or something like that?

Given that we've seen most retailers in the past add CD to their computers with nothing happening, i doubt that it's so much to expect that they'd hide it under some fake alias.? I doubt this would happen, but concievably, they could market the album under another major artist's name (with their permission) so that the stores get enough stock.

As for stores not being able to find space to show the album: gimme a break.? If Universal calls up Virgin and HMV and says, we want this album in stores in 3 days, make it happen or we don't give you limited edition copies of xxx artist's stuff (like Jay-Z for instance [if he's on universal]), the stores will fall in line.? Record companies have been doing this sort of shit to promote new artists with magazines and radio stations for years, doing it to stores is just another step in the same direction.

It's so silly to argue that the reason there's no more talk about a release date is because it's a "secret" now. I'm not singling you out. This is directed to anyone who has bought into this ridiculous theory. Conspiracy theorists have the easiest point of view to argue from.... any evidence against the conspiracy is just part of the conspiracy.

The reason Chinese Democracy isn't found in any music store computer is because it's not coming out, period. That's the only logical conclusion. Why on earth would a band keep the release date of their album a secret? Do they not want anyone to know when they can buy it? Ridiculous!

I agree that it is very far fetched... But I don't believe that 'stores CAN'T accomodate it' is a good enough reason to dismiss a 2006 release date. ?My thinking is that if GNR wasn't planing on releasing CD in 2006, they should tell people. ?We've had multiple statements from the band/management that it should be coming out this year and as 'recent' as the RS article/US tour press release, Merck has said it was coming out in 2006. ?

Unless they aren't telling us it's delayed because they don't want to hurt potential ticket sales (let's face it, there's a better chance of selling tickets if people think the album is coming out this year), there's no reason to keep this charade up. ?

While this doesn't really apply to the GNR camp, if I tell you I'm doing something in the future (6 months away lets say), just cause I don't mention it in a while doesn't mean that I stopped planning on doing it. ?

BTW Jim, I know it's not personal Wink.  Unfortunately, too many board members are taking comments way too personally and creating a negative environment.  This board should be for discussion and debate, which is why personal attacks are against the rules...

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2006, 11:25:34 AM »

Yea but this isnt really G n R its just Axl and a bunch of hired GUNS so i think a little extra marketing would help alot. I know il buy it the second it comes out but im sure alot of people will be skeptical.

Actually Slash, Duff, Steven & Matt were hired GUNS.

Axl & Izzy founded the band.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2006, 11:28:43 AM »

I think you hit the nail on the head. It probably would hurt ticket sales (as if they need more of that) if they said Chinese Democracy is going to be delayed yet again. I mean, if they had to cancelthe first two dates of this tour so Axl could add "finishing touches" on the album; realisitically, how could it possibly be ready by now?

EstrangedReality
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2006, 12:26:31 PM »

I am an ingnorant person, huh??  Or, are you saying I am ignorant on this particluar subject??  Clarify....or your ignorance will indeed have shined.

On the subject. That is what we are discussing, yes?

Nothing is impossible.  Period.  You see the world as limited then you are limited.

Did you get that from one of Merck's press releases?

Axl has broken ALL the industry rules around this album.  Ten years and 15 million dollars in the making.

Those are record standards. Not retail standards. Every single thing you find in a store follows a procedure to find its way to that shelf. There are laws that retailers must follow regarding how merchandise is distributed, received, etc., because if it's done incorrectly then money can be lost on both ends and lawsuits can be filed and so on and so forth.

What makes you think he will "follow your industry rules" when it comes to the release of the most anticipated cd release in the history of rock 'n' roll?

Please. If you think it's the most anticipated release in rock n' roll history then maybe I take back what I said above and you really are just an overall ignorant person.

GN'R fans are looking forward to this. The general public still thinks it's a punchline to a bad joke and the press uses Chinese Democracy as a running gag, too.

I'm not dissing the album - I can't wait to hear it. But not many outside of the GN'R bubble share our unadulterated enthusiasm.

Retail stores aren't going to collectively gasp and shriek, "OMIGOD! CHINESE DEMOCRACY!!! GET IT TO THE SHELVES, NOW!!! IT'S THE MOST ANTICIPATED ALBUM IN ROCK N' ROLL HISTORY, IT...MUST...BE...DISPLAYED!"

They won't treat it any differently than any other album release. That same Tuesday other albums will be dropped and the Tuesday afterwards more will be released from other artists.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:28:55 PM by Stoned Immaculate » Logged
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2006, 12:50:52 PM »

What if this is the real Jake E Lee?  He could replace one of the gunners.....  Maybe he is asking for the gig?  In case you guys don't know, Jake E. Lee is a major badass.  Played with Ozzy after Rhoads and in a band called Badlands.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2006, 12:55:44 PM »

I am an ingnorant person, huh??? Or, are you saying I am ignorant on this particluar subject??? Clarify....or your ignorance will indeed have shined.

On the subject. That is what we are discussing, yes?

Nothing is impossible.? Period.? You see the world as limited then you are limited.

Did you get that from one of Merck's press releases?

Axl has broken ALL the industry rules around this album.? Ten years and 15 million dollars in the making.

Those are record standards. Not retail standards. Every single thing you find in a store follows a procedure to find its way to that shelf. There are laws that retailers must follow regarding how merchandise is distributed, received, etc., because if it's done incorrectly then money can be lost on both ends and lawsuits can be filed and so on and so forth.

What makes you think he will "follow your industry rules" when it comes to the release of the most anticipated cd release in the history of rock 'n' roll?

Please. If you think it's the most anticipated release in rock n' roll history then maybe I take back what I said above and you really are just an overall ignorant person.

GN'R fans are looking forward to this. The general public still thinks it's a punchline to a bad joke and the press uses Chinese Democracy as a running gag, too.

I'm not dissing the album - I can't wait to hear it. But not many outside of the GN'R bubble share our unadulterated enthusiasm.

Retail stores aren't going to collectively gasp and shriek, "OMIGOD! CHINESE DEMOCRACY!!! GET IT TO THE SHELVES, NOW!!! IT'S THE MOST ANTICIPATED ALBUM IN ROCK N' ROLL HISTORY, IT...MUST...BE...DISPLAYED!"

They won't treat it any differently than any other album release. That same Tuesday other albums will be dropped and the Tuesday afterwards more will be released from other artists.

Why did we know in great advance that "Greatest Hits" was coming out?  It was released by the same record company...  Do they now have a different policy when releasing CD?  They even had commercials for the Greatest Hits album.  Why wouldn't they invest in new commercials.. Cause it is not coming out right now.  That is why.  I hope it does, but with no hype, it will sell less then VR.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: