Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 06:00:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  New appreciation for It's Five O'Clock Somewhere
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: New appreciation for It's Five O'Clock Somewhere  (Read 6314 times)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« on: November 06, 2006, 07:21:58 AM »

This has probably been posted before, and if there's another topic about this the mods can feel free to merge this thread.

But man, I was listening to It's Five O'Clock Somewhere for the first time tonight in I don't know how many years, and man does it fuckin' ROCK!

The riffs are mean, nasty and RAW, and the soloing is some of Slash's best. I really liked this album when it first came out because I was so hungry for anything related to GN'R. But then I kinda got bored with it from some of the weaker tracks. But man, the strong songs on this album just flat out fuckin ROCK!

My favs are:
Dime Store Rock
Beggars And Hangers-On
Good To Be Alive (love that riff and the solos)
Jizz Da Pit
Soma City Ward
Doin' Fine

If you have any doubts about how great these above are, just crank them up in a good car stereo and tell me you don't wanna just go nuts behind the wheel! Grin ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 09:15:34 AM »

Totally agree!!!! ok yes yes ok yes

An awesome rock album and very personal from slash. It has some of the best Slash's guitar work. I think Ain't life grand it's a better album and sounds more like a band but IFOCS has one of the truth, honestly and most personal sides of Slash as Guitar Player.

I'd like to have a good car stereo, Well I would like to have a Car hihi hihi
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 09:34:51 AM »

yes...i actually think IFOCS is slash's best guitar work to date. You put axl on that fucker, with his complex lyrics and so forth, and it would have been one hell of a GNR album!

November Rain 91
Headliner

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 10:38:01 AM »

ifos is fucking awesome. i think the best tracks are dime store rock, back and forth again, and neither can i.  i always liked that album. much better than ALG in my opinion

Guns N' Fuckin' Roses
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 01:32:29 PM »

I have always loved IFOCS and still listen to it a few times a year. The only downfall were some of the lyrics here and there and the vocals at times.  Throw Axl in the equation and we would have had yet another classic Gn'R album.    Undecided

ben9785
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 10:22:14 PM »

Maybe I got confused but weren't some of the songs on this album originally considered as ideas for what was supposed to be the follow up to TSI? Well at least what was supposed to be the axl-slash-duff-matt gnr album?
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 04:50:15 AM »

Maybe I got confused but weren't some of the songs on this album originally considered as ideas for what was supposed to be the follow up to TSI? Well at least what was supposed to be the axl-slash-duff-matt gnr album?

Yes. Axl didn't want to use them so Slash made his own album.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
TheMole
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 09:08:50 AM »

Sometimes I think if Slash wouldn't have put out "It's Five O Clock Somewhere" with these songs, GNR would still be together. I mean, Axl got really pissed when he did that and threatened to sue him (or actually did sue or something, I forgot), claiming the songs were owned by guns n roses. He wanted them back when he heard the final demo versions, Slash should have agreed and we would've gotten a great followup to the illusions albums. (Imagine an album with the best IFOCS songs on it, but with Axl on vocals; add some Axl branded overproduced ballads to that and you have a mix made in heaven!)
gnr420
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 11:37:52 AM »

i agree about its 5 o clock somewhere, for me neither can i, the song that comes after neither can i(sounds kinda like double talkin jive) beggars and hangers on and a few other i cant name off the top of my head kick fuckin ass, the music on this album sounds alot like afd mixed with the uyis in terms of songwriting and production ok
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 09:32:11 PM »

I have always loved IFOCS and still listen to it a few times a year. The only downfall were some of the lyrics here and there and the vocals at times.? Throw Axl in the equation and we would have had yet another classic Gn'R album.? ? Undecided

I agree 100%. Hard to figure why Axl turned down this album flat out. With his touch the band  revisions, this would have been a killer  follow-up to UYI and TSI.
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 09:12:06 PM »

Brilliant album. I'd advise everyone to download the snakepit unplugged torrent from thetradersden.org if you havent seen it yet. Its just 2 songs and its just Slash and Eric Dover on acoustic guitars, but it's the best version of back ad forth again ive ever heard live. Really good quality too, possibly master.

EVERYONE GET IT!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 10:26:18 PM »

Brilliant album. I'd advise everyone to download the snakepit unplugged torrent from thetradersden.org if you havent seen it yet. Its just 2 songs and its just Slash and Eric Dover on acoustic guitars, but it's the best version of back ad forth again ive ever heard live. Really good quality too, possibly master.

EVERYONE GET IT!

That is quite possibly from the Good To be Alive single, if it is, then those two tracks were recorded live in a studio here in Australia for a local rock radio station. And yeah, they sound great! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
ben9785
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 06:15:18 AM »

Yes. Axl didn't want to use them so Slash made his own album.
Thanks for clarifying bud. I need to find a copy of this album. Heard parts of it a long while back.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 07:58:38 AM »

EVERYONE GET IT!

That is quite possibly from the Good To be Alive single, if it is, then those two tracks were recorded live in a studio here in Australia for a local rock radio station. And yeah, they sound great! ok

never heard them.. I will have to look around.

Orgasmatron
Headliner

Hey, Chicken Boy..

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 12:37:04 AM »

I like Soma City Ward and Beggars & Hangers On, but that's about all. Velvet Revolver are slightly easier to listen to, IMHO.

The singer just comes across as too much of an Axl wanna-be.

The Spaghetti Incident? on NEWGNR.com is quite simply put; God!
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 06:46:36 AM »

I like Soma City Ward and Beggars & Hangers On, but that's about all. Velvet Revolver are slightly easier to listen to, IMHO.

The singer just comes across as too much of an Axl wanna-be.

Eric dover an axl wannabe? riiiiight...... hihi
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 07:47:17 AM »

Great album. Blues-rock at its best ! It reminds me of the Black Crowes.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 12:45:17 AM by Slashead » Logged

I'll download it !
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 05:23:51 PM »

Sometimes I think if Slash wouldn't have put out "It's Five O Clock Somewhere" with these songs, GNR would still be together. I mean, Axl got really pissed when he did that and threatened to sue him (or actually did sue or something, I forgot), claiming the songs were owned by guns n roses. He wanted them back when he heard the final demo versions, Slash should have agreed and we would've gotten a great followup to the illusions albums. (Imagine an album with the best IFOCS songs on it, but with Axl on vocals; add some Axl branded overproduced ballads to that and you have a mix made in heaven!)

thats not gnr. gnr was never just 1 or 2 guys writing the all the songs. Some of the songs on IFOS would problably be good gnr songs but certainly not the entire IFOS album
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 05:28:52 PM »

Yea, 5 o'clock is Sash's best non-gnr work. Really awesome album. Neither Can I, Beggars and Hangers-On, and Back and Forth Again are all stand-out tracks.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 12:50:10 AM »

thats not gnr. gnr was never just 1 or 2 guys writing the all the songs. Some of the songs on IFOS would problably be good gnr songs but certainly not the entire IFOS album
If you read the credits you'll see that a lot of songs were co-written by Matt, Duff and Gilby... So, there were more than 1 or 2 guys writing these songs...

But I agree that the material was a little bit too bluesy to make a whole GN'R album.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 12:53:29 AM by Slashead » Logged

I'll download it !
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: