Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 05:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rolling Stone - We are in the throes of a Hair Metal Renaissance
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - We are in the throes of a Hair Metal Renaissance  (Read 2681 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: November 04, 2006, 01:09:26 PM »

Lately we?ve been getting the feeling that we are in the throes of a Hair Metal Renaissance (henceforth to be known as HMR). Perhaps it was this past summer?s monumental Def Leppard tour, or the recent reunions of such HM Heavyweights as Poison and Cinderella. Could be the ubiquitous presence of former Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach. The impending return of a certian former HM adherent (they are referring to Axl, they link to a story that I cannot post the link to). Or the fact that books like this are getting published. In any case, damned if we aren?t seeing a trend here. We know some of you out there never stopped loving your White Snake and Ratt records, but we know its not particularly stylish to admit it. So let?s all put aside our pride, emerge from our HM closets (which house our old spandex pants, liquid eyeliner and Aqua Net), and share a special list of the best HM bands of all time. Here we go (again).

-- Lauren Gitlin

Story at Rollingstone.com

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 01:19:09 PM »

Thats cool.  Although I don't like it when GNR gets lumped in with the likes of Ratt and Poision, but one can make an arugument I guess that GNR was/is HM.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
T_Roxie
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 01:29:11 PM »

They were...when they did live like a suicide...after that...nah.
just a rock n roll band.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 01:31:42 PM »

They were...when they did live like a suicide...after that...nah.
just a rock n roll band.

Yep, they did wear makeup with the best of them in the early days.

Dude, the cult fucking rocks, my 2nd favorite band...most underrated rock band ever!

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 01:39:41 PM »

are they really referring to axl or just Sebastian Bach with the link?
I don't know about the past but Guns N Roses now look and sound nothing like hair metal.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 01:42:22 PM »

Where they say "certain former HM adherent" if you click on it, it takes you to the story about Axl/GNR that I cannot post.  So yes there are referring to Axl.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 01:56:14 PM »

Ok so they're hinting that GNR is hair metal. but not in the text. I wonder why. Roll Eyes <= this isn't aimed at you, funky. thanks for the report. Wink
well good publicity.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 01:58:48 PM »

Yes, but they did say "former".

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 02:03:16 PM »

This GN'R is/was a hair metal band cracks me up. Can these guys imagine that a hairband writes songs like Welcome To The Jungle or Mr. Brownstone?  Embarrassed  Yeah, they had some make-up during the early days, but their music wasn't hair metal at all.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 02:03:33 PM »

Ugh, I hope hair metal doesn't come back. That would be very unfortunate.

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 02:05:47 PM »

This GN'R is/was a hair metal band cracks me up. Can these guys imagine that a hairband writes songs like Welcome To The Jungle or Mr. Brownstone?? Embarrassed? Yeah, they had some make-up during the early days, but their music wasn't hair metal at all.

Good point.  What is hair metal?  The music?  Or how they dressed?  If its the music, then no way is/was GNR hair metal. If it is defined by dress, then GNR was.

I don't think GNR is hairmetal.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
T_Roxie
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 02:31:35 PM »

Hairmetal is like motley crue, which they sound nothing like.
guns_n_motley
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »

but skid row sound nothing like motley crue, and ratt sound nothing like motley crue, and poison is pretty much a pop glam... the other bands are MUCH heavier...

Hair metal is defined by the LOOK, not necessicarily the music, which is why people lump bands like Poison who were poppy to say the least, with heavier bands like Motley Crue, Ratt, skid row. and lump them even further with bands like GNR, tesla etc....

hair metal is a term used to lump ALL 80s bands together...

Just like grunge lumps all early 90s bands together, but you wouldnt say soundgarden and AIC are really like nirvana etc..

ya know what I mean?? after the fact record companies make up these terms to bunch a ton of bands together... probably to sell to that demographic...

when theres a million different rock genres, its easy to lump a bunch of bands into one category

T_Roxie
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 02:44:35 PM »

True, it's all just rock n roll really.  No point trying to categorise it. peace
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 02:48:37 PM »

Hair metal is a mis nomer, but its the easiest label to attach to the 80s rock scene - the average joe identifies all the rock music from that time as being hair metal (even though most of us here know not every band from that time was).  Its not worth getting all upset over.

I would love if that music came back.  It was fun, most of the guys could sing and you could tell people actually knew how to play their instruments - most of all you actually knew the names of the lead singers and guitarists and drummers of all those bands, even if you didn't like them.  Todays rock is just being mass produced.  If I hear one more nickelback/creed/three doors down sounding band I will scream.  I am convinced its one guy singing for all of those bands hahah

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 02:59:38 PM »

Ugh, I hope hair metal doesn't come back. That would be very unfortunate.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.  Nothing can be worse than the shit hip-hop and rap that pollute today's "music" media and television. 

Someday, everyone's going to look back and say "wow, I can't believe that I used to like these guys talking over music.  That was stupid."
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 03:02:22 PM »

Other than GnR, Tesla was my favorite bands back then.....their music still holds up these days
guns_n_motley
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 03:04:19 PM »

Other than GnR, Tesla was my favorite bands back then.....their music still holds up these days

if you like tesla you might like Cinderella... contrary to their name(which is a horrible name for a band) their prett much a blues rock band...

"fallin apart at the seams" you might like htat song
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 03:04:30 PM »

but skid row sound nothing like motley crue, and ratt sound nothing like motley crue, and poison is pretty much a pop glam... the other bands are MUCH heavier...

Hair metal is defined by the LOOK, not necessicarily the music, which is why people lump bands like Poison who were poppy to say the least, with heavier bands like Motley Crue, Ratt, skid row. and lump them even further with bands like GNR, tesla etc....

hair metal is a term used to lump ALL 80s bands together...

Just like grunge lumps all early 90s bands together, but you wouldnt say soundgarden and AIC are really like nirvana etc..

ya know what I mean?? after the fact record companies make up these terms to bunch a ton of bands together... probably to sell to that demographic...

when theres a million different rock genres, its easy to lump a bunch of bands into one category

Yuppers, if defined by the look, then GNR was hair metal. I would love for that type of rock to make a comeback. Frontmen which vocal range and ability, guitarists who can play a solo, and music that is fun and makes you feel good to listen to. Some of it may be cheesy, but it is a fun genre.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006, 03:26:50 PM »

if you like tesla you might like Cinderella... contrary to their name(which is a horrible name for a band) their prett much a blues rock band...

"fallin apart at the seams" you might like htat song

didn't like the singers voice
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: