Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:58:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Two week release notice?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two week release notice?  (Read 10119 times)
phi_kai_phi
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: November 02, 2006, 01:44:50 PM »

So...   I don't think that we will just have CD be released without any notice.

As crazy as it sounds, I think in order for it to come out this year we'll likely be getting only a 2 week release notice.

Does anyone think that this could/would happen?
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:47:57 PM »

So...? ?I don't think that we will just have CD be released without any notice.

As crazy as it sounds, I think in order for it to come out this year we'll likely be getting only a 2 week release notice.

2 weeks notice? ?It's not like quitting a job. ?It might show up with no promotion. ?Whether that will happen remains to be seen, but it is possible.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
Kid A
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 01:49:26 PM »

No and Yes.
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 01:50:39 PM »

So...   I don't think that we will just have CD be released without any notice.

2 weeks notice?  It's not like quitting a job.  It might show up with no promotion.  Whether that will happen remains to be seen, but it is possible.

That would be a disaster IMO.  no
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 01:52:17 PM »

So...? ?I don't think that we will just have CD be released without any notice.

2 weeks notice?? It's not like quitting a job.? It might show up with no promotion.? Whether that will happen remains to be seen, but it is possible.

That would be a disaster IMO.? no

It could be, but every thread turns into the same debate, so we'll leave it at that.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
phi_kai_phi
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 02:14:02 PM »

Anything might happen... but this album is one which DESERVES promotion.  Not everyone in the world knows this album is 13 years in the works.  The record company wouldn't pass up the opportunity to promote that.  So no, there's no way it's going to just show up on the shelves with no notice.

However, TWO WEEKS, is something that might work.  Condense all of the promotion into two weeks and people see it everywhere they turn for a little while until it strikes their curiosity and they think that the album is worth checking out.  It's unusual, but so is the band and album.  I think that if it does come out this year it will have the 2 week promotion thing.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 02:14:58 PM »

Dead horse.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS FUCKING POST

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 02:18:38 PM »

Anything might happen... but this album is one which DESERVES promotion.? Not everyone in the world knows this album is 13 years in the works.? The record company wouldn't pass up the opportunity to promote that.? So no, there's no way it's going to just show up on the shelves with no notice.

However, TWO WEEKS, is something that might work.? Condense all of the promotion into two weeks and people see it everywhere they turn for a little while until it strikes their curiosity and they think that the album is worth checking out.? It's unusual, but so is the band and album.? I think that if it does come out this year it will have the 2 week promotion thing.

2 weeks, 2 days or 2 months prior to release and promotion is sort of a joke...or a punchline to one.  That's not to say they shouldn't/couldn't premote the album before release....I'm just not convinced how effective the promotion would be (and thus, how effective the $$ spent would be). This album is not only legendary in status, it's legendarily LATE and legindarily POSTPONED.  The best thing, IMHO, for GnR to do is release it THEN the label should spend the bulk of their promotional dollars earmarked for it.  Because then, and only then, will consumers believe it's out and actually pay attention to the hype.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
phi_kai_phi
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 02:18:43 PM »

Dead horse.

I already reported it to the mods.

Anyways, though, when you think about it..... the tour itself is a kind of promotion, too.  People all over Europe and the US are suddenly hearing the new music live: the best way to hear it. 

Wouldn't it make more sense to drop the album towards the end of the tour instead of the beginning?

It's unusual but since the stance is still that the album will be out this year... two weeks notice seems like it could work, and damn well.
phi_kai_phi
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 02:21:48 PM »

Because then, and only then, will consumers believe it's out and actually pay attention to the hype.

I dunno about that... there's never been official promotion for the album before.  If I saw best buy promoting it and commercials on TV and all that junk, I'd think most would believe it's finally coming out.

Now... if they promote it and then not have it come out.... i can see a reason why people would be skeptical it's really coming out the next time they promote it.
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 02:22:35 PM »

Dead horse.

I already reported it to the mods.

Anyways, though, when you think about it..... the tour itself is a kind of promotion, too.? People all over Europe and the US are suddenly hearing the new music live: the best way to hear it.?

Wouldn't it make more sense to drop the album towards the end of the tour instead of the beginning?

It's unusual but since the stance is still that the album will be out this year... two weeks notice seems like it could work, and damn well.

Why would you report this to the mods? ?There's a billion other topics on here talking about the same thing, and I guarantee that this thread will be deleted later tonight. ?Sorry, but it IS a dead-horse!
phi_kai_phi
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 02:28:52 PM »

Why would you report this to the mods?  There's a billion other topics on here talking about the same thing, and I guarantee that this thread will be deleted later tonight.  Sorry, but it IS a dead-horse!

"Why would you report this to the mods?"
According to the rules you are not allowed to post "simply to complain about a thread"

"I guarantee that this thread will be deleted later tonight."
Then why post?Huh??  If you're so sure then why not let the mods do their thing and stop spamming in threads like right now.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »

Because then, and only then, will consumers believe it's out and actually pay attention to the hype.

I dunno about that... there's never been official promotion for the album before.? If I saw best buy promoting it and commercials on TV and all that junk, I'd think most would believe it's finally coming out.

There were flyers printed, with a mass market retailer (best buy, actually, I think, maybe Fry's?..someone can refresh on the specifics), a few years back ('02? I can't remember the year now....old timers brain), with CD info in them.? ? I'm sure someone here can wake my brain up with the specifics.

In addition, there have been numerous reports from within the GnR camp that the album would be out "soon", "this year", etc, etc dating back to the late 90's (and Axl's infamous MTV fax).

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
grover
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 03:06:38 PM »

While it has rarely or never been done, I think the "no promotion" idea would work with this album.  I mean, cmon, everyone has heard of the fabled "CHINESE DEMOCRACY". 

And just think what would happen if, say, next Tuesday, it just showed up on the shelves when the stores opened.  Within an hour, it would be the talk of every pop/rock radio station in the country.  There would be a mention on every newscast on the evening news.  And the press on MTV/VHI/and every cable entertainment channel would be enormous.  There would be stories of people leaving their offices to rush to the store during their lunch hour to buy this album ( I know I will).  It simply will spread like wildfire.  And it will create a curiosity beyond anything an advertised release has ever done.

Would it work?  I don't know.  But the concept is interesting enough that I would love to see it tried.  It could ONLY work with a band that is a big name, and had unusual circumstances surrounding the album (maybe U2, Rolling Stones, not many other bands could even ATTEMPT it).  Add to that the fact that it is the most talked about NON-ALBUM in history, which now has come to fruition, and this would work.  I truly believe it.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 03:19:56 PM »

I think this album could be released with no prior promotion, and I think it could succeed with that strategy.
I'm sure we'll be told the release date beforehand, but I'm not expecting a major advertising campaign. I think it's much more likely, especially considering recent events, that we'll see a cross-promotion strategy where GNR/CD are featured in commercials or promotional activities for other products (such as, for example, say, Harley Davidson). And if the album proves to be successful, then we might see the label pump some money into advertising it. Since we've already heard the label whine about how much money the album has already cost, and since the public responds better to "the #1 album in America!" commercials than "Coming Soon" ads, this seems like the obvious, cowardly, "best fit" strategy.
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 04:41:22 PM »

Doubtful...here's what is left...

November 7th...too soon...never happen

November 14th...still too soon...maybe internet only or single

November 21st...we've already been told by Merck this is no (unless he's being deceptive)

November 28th...possible...but going up against Jay-Z's return would be tough

Decmeber 5th...doubtful...Eminem is also interscope.  There's no way they would put their two biggest artists up against each other.

December 12th...still plenty of time for holiday shopping...would give ample promotion time.

December 19th...coincides with their LA appearance...would be a perfect opportunity to make plenty of radio and TV guest appearances.  at this point the most likely...

December 26th...day after Xmas...what would be the point?

2007?

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Steffi
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 04:50:40 PM »

If it's 100% sure that it's coming out, then what do they have to gain by not letting anyone know the date?
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 04:58:05 PM »

In my opinion, they gain nothing...they could release the album at 3AM on Easter Sunday and everyone of us would be there to buy it...

but the general public needs to have information pounded into their heads to remember what they want...

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
phi_kai_phi
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 06:25:45 PM »

In my opinion, they gain nothing...they could release the album at 3AM on Easter Sunday and everyone of us would be there to buy it...

but the general public needs to have information pounded into their heads to remember what they want...

I agree..... yes, many have heard of chinese democracy.  But most, I'm sure, know little if anything about it.  We live in a materialistic world in the united states, at least.  Most of what we buy is based on what advertising tells us to buy, as sad as it sounds.  People who arn't even interested as of now need to think "hmm I'm in Target, there's the CD section.... oh yeah that GNR album everyone's been talking about is out now isn't it?!?  I'll take a look at it/perhaps buy it."

That's what advertising does here, and that's how it could be done.... within like two weeks time.  I mean.... yeah there would be some attention gained from dropping an album out of nowhere, but that's a 13 million dollar gamble that may not work out.  The record company won't want to take that chance IMO.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 06:28:11 PM »

December 19th...coincides with their LA appearance...would be a perfect opportunity to make plenty of radio and TV guest appearances.? at this point the most likely...

Excellent reasoning. I like this line of thought. I mean, I'm hoping like HELL we get the album before then, but this is still a good case for that date.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: