Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 07:10:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Two week release notice?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two week release notice?  (Read 10123 times)
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2006, 12:43:40 PM »

Contrary to popular believe this isn't "THE MOST ANTICIPATED ALBUM OF ALL TIME" and will sell itself by it's name alone.. GnR's had alot of churn in it's fanbase and possibly lost selling power in it's name. Have you read the links to other forums people here have posted (Howard Stern, Metallica, Pearl Jam etc) It's close to laughable amongst those outside the GnR Community. "Who is it, just Axl? No Slash" "Is that Buckethead still in it?" etc. We've heard all the comments. Also, while it is high up on the Anticipation scale, do you remember seeing promotion for the final Star Wars film? Yes. LOTR III? Yes. Spiderman 2? Yes.. And those were highly anticipated movies.

And the comparisons to Appetite are useless, a record company has hundreds of new bands each year, some become a success, the majority fail. Therefore, they usually (There are exceptions) cannot select a debut album to promote, so debuts do not get much promotion. They basically throw spaghetti to the wall & see what sticks (Nevermind, PJ 10, Appetite). When a band is a success, these are how the record companies try to make their money back for all those bands who failed (Over 90%). To have a album like CD and think they'll try to go the 'grassroots' way of word-of-mouth is laughable..

Hey look, I'm not saying FACT here, but I feel what I've stated is pretty rational, especially from a business perspective. IMHO I think Nov 21 or 28th will be the release dates, but I will say I'm losing faith in that we haven't heard anything YET. They have shows in NYC soon, and while I don't think he'll announce it DURING the show, I could see them (or at least I hope) issuing a press release the day of.. So it'll be all over the radio, web etc.. Just my guess/hope. If next week goes by without anything, the WOW, I'll have really lost hope. Huh?

Dropping the album out of nowhere would be a huge gamble.? For the first week, it would be a novelty...BUT if the album doesn't at least crack the top 10, it will be a total joke.? The media outlets will have a field day with it calling it a total bomb...then the people who didn't buy the album will hear only..."chinese demcracy is a bomb" and think it was because the album sucked and won't buy it.

EXACTLY!!? ok
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 12:49:48 PM by pasnow » Logged
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2006, 12:51:28 PM »

well said, pasnow.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2006, 01:03:07 PM »

Contrary to popular believe this isn't "THE MOST ANTICIPATED ALBUM OF ALL TIME" and will sell itself by it's name alone.. GnR's had alot of churn in it's fanbase and possibly lost selling power in it's name. Have you read the links to other forums people here have posted (Howard Stern, Metallica, Pearl Jam etc) It's close to laughable amongst those outside the GnR Community. "Who is it, just Axl? No Slash" "Is that Buckethead still in it?" etc. We've heard all the comments. Also, while it is high up on the Anticipation scale, do you remember seeing promotion for the final Star Wars film? Yes. LOTR III? Yes. Spiderman 2? Yes.. And those were highly anticipated movies.

And the comparisons to Appetite are useless, a record company has hundreds of new bands each year, some become a success, the majority fail. Therefore, they usually (There are exceptions) cannot select a debut album to promote, so debuts do not get much promotion. They basically throw spaghetti to the wall & see what sticks (Nevermind, PJ 10, Appetite). When a band is a success, these are how the record companies try to make their money back for all those bands who failed (Over 90%). To have a album like CD and think they'll try to go the 'grassroots' way of word-of-mouth is laughable..

Hey look, I'm not saying FACT here, but I feel what I've stated is pretty rational, especially from a business perspective. IMHO I think Nov 21 or 28th will be the release dates, but I will say I'm losing faith in that we haven't heard anything YET. They have shows in NYC soon, and while I don't think he'll announce it DURING the show, I could see them (or at least I hope) issuing a press release the day of.. So it'll be all over the radio, web etc.. Just my guess/hope. If next week goes by without anything, the WOW, I'll have really lost hope. Huh?

Again, I don't disagree with your logic.? However, there are some things to point out:

You can't, in one breath, say CD is a laughing stock album to most of the world and in the next say it's the album the label NEEDS to capitalize on to offset other losses. It's either an album the label needs or it isn't.? It's either well known and anticipated or it's not.

If it is anticipated and well known...no real "paid" promotion, pre-release, is going to raise it's awareness level ("Q" quotient) all THAT much in the general public....the press it's getting now will take care of that, to a large extent.?

If it's not anticipated, then it's just like Appetite: A risk for the label that they can afford to not promote prior to release.? THIS incarnation of GnR might well be considered an unknown entity, by the label, and they MAY be willing to treat it like a debut album.

Now, certainly the "standard" promotional cycle would yield predictable results, to some extent, maybe. Assuming they could overcome the negative stigma associate with the album simply by promoting it.? But there's not evidence that a non-traditional, alternate strategy won't yield results, possibly longer term, and without having to confront the stigma head on (the material, if good, would do that...in fact, it's the ONLY thing that might do it).? We just don't know, because we don't know what's up their sleeves yet.

What you're saying certainly IS rational.? It's just not the ONLY rational opinion to have.? It doesn't seem like you're getting taken to task for believing as you do....what's questioned is why you don't offer the same sort of acceptance of the alternate viewpoints.? They're pretty well reasoned and rational, too.? We won't really know who's right until a) we get word from management/the label about release and see ACTUAL paid promotion going on or b) the album drops.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:15:46 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
acompleteunknown
Rocker

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 05:01:51 PM »

Again, I don't disagree with your logic.? However, there are some things to point out:

You can't, in one breath, say CD is a laughing stock album to most of the world and in the next say it's the album the label NEEDS to capitalize on to offset other losses. It's either an album the label needs or it isn't.? It's either well known and anticipated or it's not.

If it is anticipated and well known...no real "paid" promotion, pre-release, is going to raise it's awareness level ("Q" quotient) all THAT much in the general public....the press it's getting now will take care of that, to a large extent.?

If it's not anticipated, then it's just like Appetite: A risk for the label that they can afford to not promote prior to release.? THIS incarnation of GnR might well be considered an unknown entity, by the label, and they MAY be willing to treat it like a debut album.

Now, certainly the "standard" promotional cycle would yield predictable results, to some extent, maybe. Assuming they could overcome the negative stigma associate with the album simply by promoting it.? But there's not evidence that a non-traditional, alternate strategy won't yield results, possibly longer term, and without having to confront the stigma head on (the material, if good, would do that...in fact, it's the ONLY thing that might do it).? We just don't know, because we don't know what's up their sleeves yet.

What you're saying certainly IS rational.? It's just not the ONLY rational opinion to have.? It doesn't seem like you're getting taken to task for believing as you do....what's questioned is why you don't offer the same sort of acceptance of the alternate viewpoints.? They're pretty well reasoned and rational, too.? We won't really know who's right until a) we get word from management/the label about release and see ACTUAL paid promotion going on or b) the album drops.

I'm not sure I follow your logic...

A.  The album isn't a laughing stock...but it is some what of a joke...that doesn't mean the label doesn't want the album to sell well....or by that matter need to re-coup their investment.  Waterworld was a joke before it came out and the studio hyped the crap out of it.  If you invested 13 million into something you would do everything you could to earn your money back.

B.  This is not the most anticipated album of all time.  UYI was more anticipated because more people were waiting for it to come out.  The GNR fanbase has waned considering the soft concert sales.  the Fleetwood Mac reunion album was pretty strongly anticipate with about the same amount of time inbetween releases...AND... it didn't sell all that hot.  FM's reunion concerts were selling out everywhere...GNR's are not.  If Slash was in the band...this would be a whole other story.  But instead we hae Buckethead.  And regardles of his talent, he's not the same draw as Slash.

C.  We already know there's going to be major promotion (ie the Harley ad and the Football game).  No one's saying that alternate strategies are possible.  But dropping the album without promotion has been done and its failed...so no, we don't have to give creedence to that strategy.

pasnow
VIP

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 05:22:52 PM »

What you're saying certainly IS rational.? It's just not the ONLY rational opinion to have.? It doesn't seem like you're getting taken to task for believing as you do....what's questioned is why you don't offer the same sort of acceptance of the alternate viewpoints.?

Why?!! Angry? ?Cause I'm PASNOW that's why!!? rant rant rant

(j/k Pilferk. Had a rough week at work, needed to vent.)
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2006, 05:37:23 PM »

Do people get a medal and/or a plaque for being a wanna be mod?  Are there courses one can take to become one?

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2006, 05:41:22 PM »

Fuck its where I stand so rp

I have been through this from the beginning and have seen as this whole thing has gone. But I can't imagine at this point, that it will not come on one of these next 6 Tuesdays in light of what Merck said to Rolling Stone. This would completely make GNR look like fucking jackasses if the CD doesn't come this year. I have never heard the things that have just recently been said (and so confidently) before. It has to come this year period. For the first time I will be fed up with their shit if it slips another year after what has been said so sternly by Axl and Merck. Seriously. I have great hope they haven't lied to me, Sebastian Bach, and every motherfucking GNR fan and reader of Rolling Stone online and magazine. Its coming this year. Im a believer. And I believe its coming this year.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2006, 05:41:55 PM »

Do people get a medal and/or a plaque for being a wanna be mod?? Are there courses one can take to become one?

Become a good kisser and take pleasure in people hating you hihi

Being serious and dedicated should take you a long way. It certainly wouldn't hurt befriending some of the existing mods either, like everything else in this world.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Schwarzgold
VIP

KAWUGI!

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2006, 05:42:47 PM »

What football game?  Huh

Restraint is for suckers.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2006, 05:45:21 PM »

Fuck its where I stand so rp

I have been through this from the beginning and have seen as this whole thing has gone. But I can't imagine at this point, that it will not come on one of these next 6 Tuesdays in light of what Merck said to Rolling Stone. This would completely make GNR look like fucking jackasses if the CD doesn't come this year. I have never heard the things that have just recently been said (and so confidently) before. It has to come this year period. For the first time I will be fed up with their shit if it slips another year after what has been said so sternly by Axl and Merck. Seriously. I have great hope they haven't lied to me, Sebastian Bach, and every motherfucking GNR fan and reader of Rolling Stone online and magazine. Its coming this year. Im a believer. And I believe its coming this year.

I'm believer still too, but I must say that clock ain't got much more than 7 days to go.

For it not to come out this year is a truly horrifying situation. What are we then to believe in the future?

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2006, 05:47:33 PM »

Do people get a medal and/or a plaque for being a wanna be mod?? Are there courses one can take to become one?

Become a good kisser and take pleasure in people hating you hihi

Being serious and dedicated should take you a long way. It certainly wouldn't hurt befriending some of the existing mods either, like everything else in this world.

Haha, thanks.  Just seems like half the posts are on how the thread sucks and should be moved and/or deleted. I figure there are plenty of mods along with Jarmo to make that distinction.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
acompleteunknown
Rocker

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2006, 06:11:37 PM »

What football game?  Huh

I don't want to get banned but two weeks back on Sunday night Football one of the announcers mentioned upcoming acts this season and GNR was one of them.

Ak1nney
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2006, 06:23:36 PM »

I'd believe you if you had not stated

"If Slash was in the band...this would be a whole other story.  But instead we hae Buckethead.  And regardles of his talent, he's not the same draw as Slash."

Where's Buckethead?
acompleteunknown
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2006, 06:34:56 PM »

I'd believe you if you had not stated

"If Slash was in the band...this would be a whole other story.  But instead we hae Buckethead.  And regardles of his talent, he's not the same draw as Slash."

Where's Buckethead?

He's not performing with the band...but his parts are still on the CD as far as we know...

guns_n_motley
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2006, 06:38:41 PM »

What football game?? Huh

I don't want to get banned but two weeks back on Sunday night Football one of the announcers mentioned upcoming acts this season and GNR was one of them.

what?? I definitely missed this... what do they mean??
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2006, 06:40:58 PM »

What football game?  Huh

Sounds like BS to me.

gnrevolution.com
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2006, 06:41:14 PM »

Dead horse.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS FUCKING POST
I already reported it to the mods.

Anyways, though, when you think about it..... the tour itself is a kind of promotion, too.  People all over Europe and the US are suddenly hearing the new music live: the best way to hear it. 

Wouldn't it make more sense to drop the album towards the end of the tour instead of the beginning?

It's unusual but since the stance is still that the album will be out this year... two weeks notice seems like it could work, and damn well.

Why would you report this to the mods?  There's a billion other topics on here talking about the same thing, and I guarantee that this thread will be deleted later tonight.  Sorry, but it IS a dead-horse!

Exactly, thank you BKinNYC. I've seen about 6 threads with the exact same thing - some people saying it would be good without promotion, others saying it would be a disaster. It gets a bit tedious talking about the same thing over and over...
acompleteunknown
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2006, 06:47:58 PM »

What football game?  Huh

Sounds like BS to me.

It was the same night as the Green Day/U2 performance...

guns_n_motley
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2006, 06:55:41 PM »

What football game?? Huh

Interesting.. maybe the playoffs??

Sounds like BS to me.

It was the same night as the Green Day/U2 performance...
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2006, 07:07:28 PM »

Quote from: cafc nick
It gets a bit tedious talking about the same thing over and over...

Then don't. Go post in other threads that interest you, or even switch off your computer and go do something less tedious. You make it sound like you are obliged to read and respond.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: