Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 01:58:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AXL's Rant in San Juan last night
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AXL's Rant in San Juan last night  (Read 73125 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #340 on: November 01, 2006, 10:14:03 AM »

I'll have to agree to disagree. I just feel GNR's legacy is what kept them alive, and the fact they went out on top in 1993. Not internet message boards. The boards may have given people the heads up on stuff, but the large majority, no.

Die hard fans kept the porch light on all these years.  We sold out Hammerstein and sent the band off to Europe with an understanding that the album would follow later this year. I dont think we should be dismissed so haphazardly, especially by Del.

Message boards did not sell out Hammerstein.

I'd say at least a great deal of Hammerstein goers were board folks.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #341 on: November 01, 2006, 10:14:14 AM »

I'll have to agree to disagree. I just feel GNR's legacy is what kept them alive, and the fact they went out on top in 1993. Not internet message boards. The boards may have given people the heads up on stuff, but the large majority, no.

Die hard fans kept the porch light on all these years.  We sold out Hammerstein and sent the band off to Europe with an understanding that the album would follow later this year. I dont think we should be dismissed so haphazardly, especially by Del.

Message boards did not sell out Hammerstein.

How do you think word spread so fast?

They barely had any promotion - if any. They relied solely on the Internet for word-of-mouth. A large number of the people who attended those shows were forum members.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #342 on: November 01, 2006, 09:55:07 PM »

Maybe 1/5 there were board members. Tops.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #343 on: November 01, 2006, 11:50:23 PM »

Here's Axl's exact words. Maybe, i guess. This is from a review at newgnr.com.

"It's been a long time since I have done this, but like all good things it must come to an end"  He was talking about the people who are writing in the internet or wherever, negative stuff about him and the band.  He said " I don't have anything against bootlegers or that's stuff 'cause I have come to terms with that but it's funny how some kid in Iowa or whereever the fuck it's bitching about we doing this and that. Oh they change the setlist is it beacuse the band doesn't know this song or that one, or the band didn't sound that good, Axl was this and that, bla bla bla and then we have every other little paper or site writing the same shit that a fucking kid that never comes to a show is bitching about ". And then concluded "Anyways, I just want to shove it up there asses. We don't care about those things we just want to have a good time right here, right now with you guys" Then they played "Roquet Queen" saying "this is for you motherfuckers".
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #344 on: November 02, 2006, 03:09:11 AM »

Alright,

but how about the guy from Canada who's seen the show 8 times and are about to see the show 3 more times.  Although it's a blast regardless of what they play, I wouldn't be completely disappointed if I was suprised by a change in rotation by the time they hit Toronto (let alone a few new songs, either Illusion or new material).  I know some may say, "well, if you don't want to go see the same show, don't buy tickets."  Fair enough, and hence why I still am going to the show and plan on having a great time (always do).  But not everyone who logs on to these type of forums aren't going to the shows.  When I saw GNR six times in 2002, by the end of it I was still having fun, but hearing the same thing over and over again got a little stale.  Maybe my expections of GNR should be different than what I see most bands do.  Moreover, what about people in New York and Toronto (or Chicago or Cleveland for that matter).  They've heard this setlist before.  After Quebec City, i'll have seen this band 11 times in three countries (to Europeans, that's not much, but to a Canadian, where to get to another country besides the US is a trip, that's something). 

Anyway, I've made this argument on this site several times, so out of fear of sounding like a broken record, this will be the last time I lodge this objection.

Cheers,

Andrew

Exactly! Very well said.  ok Doesn"t sound like a hilarious rant to me at all, actually pretty pathetic(i never thought i"d ever say that about an axl rant) True die hard GNR fans like myself want new GNR songs...thats a fact!  We will allways love the old stuff but come on allready is this new era or old? I don"t even care if we don"t hear any more new songs, but at least mix up the old GNR songs. The ones who are bitching aren"t just kids by a computer not going to shows.....they"r  fans all around the world like my self who travel the world to see the best band in the world but for some fucked up reason are denied hearing alot of the songs which define GNR.  I don"t know why axl picked this to "rant" about? no Very surprising. The show in Toronto in a couple wks on Nov 15th I can"t wait for and is going to be totally awsome!.... but also predictable.
dub05
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #345 on: November 02, 2006, 04:27:56 AM »

I believe uncle axl gave me a mention a few nights ago?Huh?

Anyone want to know why??
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #346 on: November 02, 2006, 05:50:03 AM »

I've given some additional thought to the comments Axl made on stage that night.

It's under my impression that Axls main response when he feels hurt is anger. There's evidence of this in the past. Lashing out on Slash, Buckethead, Izzy and Duff after their departures from the band. Dedicating a long rant to Warrren Beatty on a pay-per-view show after he stole his girlfriend. Bitching about his parents when he found out what they'd done to him as a child.

Naturally, alot of these examples are justified a burst of anger, but some of them are also a little more complex than that. It's no wonder to us why some members left the band. We've heard their reasons and often understand them. Now, Axl is not an idiot, so he probably understands alot of them himself. But still, atleast often, he don't seem to be able to reflect on the situation, face the facts and move on. He turns it around, at times, to irrational anger. A fairly known and common mechanism among humans who have experienced alot of pain in their childhood. Every new emotion can trigger the feelings from the past, and since those feelings are so intense the solution is very often to block them out and turn them into something you can deal with. Like anger.

I believe this also applies to what happened in San Juan. Alot of fans had been complaining about the setlist after the first couple of shows, and many of these complaints were justified. Not in a way that he owed us these changes, but that he could have given the fans a little bone while waiting for Chinese Democracy. Show some goodwill.

I have since come to the conclusion that the reason for not changing up the setlist more than they do has more to do with certain aspects of Axls mind, rather than carelessness for the fans. I'm sure he would like to please us, and I'm sure he understands our complaints, but more on a subconscious level. He's got his reasons for doing the set he do, and while many of us don't see the big deal of changing it up a little, it most likely feels very rational to him.

So he gets hurt when the fans he feels should be the most loyal to him, don't seem to understand him. Granted, it's very difficult to understand a man that doesn't talk all that much. That however is of no consequence to Axl. He ignores the logical aspect of the situation of fans complaining and concentrates fully on the sting he feels in his stomach. The result is him bashing alot of us for telling him what to do. He takes on the mask of I don't care what you think, I do what I damn please, when in reality he does care, alot. But his inability to come to terms with it, the pain and struggle it involves, results in what many here sees as a meaningless attack on the ones that have supported him the most.

Hope this almost essay of a post is of use to some of you. It has certainly given me a larger understanding of the man while thinking it out. In some ways I've come to terms with all the bullshit that's has happened and will continue to happen. I will of course continue to engage in the discussions of such, but I will no longer take them personally. I will not believe that the man hates us even though his actions could indicate it. It's just his way of expressing himself.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Megaguns
« Reply #347 on: November 02, 2006, 05:55:24 AM »

I've given some additional thought to the comments Axl made on stage that night.

It's under my impression that Axls main response when he feels hurt is anger. There's evidence of this in the past. Lashing out on Slash, Buckethead, Izzy and Duff after their departures from the band. Dedicating a long rant to Warrren Beatty on a pay-per-view show after he stole his girlfriend. Bitching about his parents when he found out what they'd done to him as a child.

Naturally, alot of these examples are justified a burst of anger, but some of them are also a little more complex than that. It's no wonder to us why some members left the band. We've heard their reasons and often understand them. Now, Axl is not an idiot, so he probably understands alot of them himself. But still, atleast often, he don't seem to be able to reflect on the situation, face the facts and move on. He turns it around, at times, to irrational anger. A fairly known and common mechanism among humans who have experienced alot of pain in their childhood. Every new emotion can trigger the feelings from the past, and since those feelings are so intense the solution is very often to block them out and turn them into something you can deal with. Like anger.

I believe this also applies to what happened in San Juan. Alot of fans had been complaining about the setlist after the first couple of shows, and many of these complaints were justified. Not in a way that he owed us these changes, but that he could have given the fans a little bone while waiting for Chinese Democracy. Show some goodwill.

I have since come to the conclusion that the reason for not changing up the setlist more than they do has more to do with certain aspects of Axls mind, rather than carelessness for the fans. I'm sure he would like to please us, and I'm sure he understands our complaints, but more on a subconscious level. He's got his reasons for doing the set he do, and while many of us don't see the big deal of changing it up a little, it most likely feels very rational to him.

So he gets hurt when the fans he feels should be the most loyal to him, don't seem to understand him. Granted, it's very difficult to understand a man that doesn't talk all that much. That however is of no consequence to Axl. He ignores the logical aspect of the situation of fans complaining and concentrates fully on the sting he feels in his stomach. The result is him bashing alot of us for telling him what to do. He takes on the mask of I don't care what you think, I do what I damn please, when in reality he does care, alot. But his inability to come to terms with it, the pain and struggle it involves, results in what many here sees as a meaningless attack on the ones that have supported him the most.

Hope this almost essay of a post is of use to some of you. It has certainly given me a larger understanding of the man while thinking it out. In some ways I've come to terms with all the bullshit that's has happened and will continue to happen. I will of course continue to engage in the discussions of such, but I will no longer take them personally. I will not believe that the man hates us even though his actions could indicate it. It's just his way of expressing himself.

Well said, you know, that was a very interesting read and made alot of sense.  ok
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #348 on: November 02, 2006, 06:03:44 AM »

Eh, I see what you're saying.

But the complaints weren't justified is the problem.

You're still missing the point.

They didn't lash out to all of the fans. Just like in Del James article, he said a "minority" of fans, complaining about the setlist, who aren't even at the shows.

No one bashed fans who are at the shows, and want to hear something new.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #349 on: November 02, 2006, 06:09:21 AM »

It's not about getting the point, cause the point is made out ambigious. It's about what you yourself believe. I'm not to tell you what that is, nor you me.

This isn't an attempt to make an argument, but rather expressing some thoughts. If it fits with your own perspective, great, if not just ignore it.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
SharonM
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #350 on: November 02, 2006, 06:41:52 AM »

Here is a clip, so this is exactly what Axl said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUhSa1_Cmu0

Sharon
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #351 on: November 02, 2006, 06:52:43 AM »

Here's Axl's exact words. Maybe, i guess. This is from a review at newgnr.com.

"It's been a long time since I have done this, but like all good things it must come to an end"? He was talking about the people who are writing in the internet or wherever, negative stuff about him and the band.? He said " I don't have anything against bootlegers or that's stuff 'cause I have come to terms with that but it's funny how some kid in Iowa or whereever the fuck it's bitching about we doing this and that. Oh they change the setlist is it beacuse the band doesn't know this song or that one, or the band didn't sound that good, Axl was this and that, bla bla bla and then we have every other little paper or site writing the same shit that a fucking kid that never comes to a show is bitching about ". And then concluded "Anyways, I just want to shove it up there asses. We don't care about those things we just want to have a good time right here, right now with you guys" Then they played "Roquet Queen" saying "this is for you motherfuckers".

If I remember correctly, people claiming an understanding into the workings of Axl's mind or an insight into the GN'R decision-making process have been a source of irritation to him in the past.? So, I don't find it strange in the slightest that this continues to frustrate him, especially when he's doing his best to provide a bloody good show for those fans who can be bothered to get their arses off the sofa.? In fact, I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head; if indeed this is an accurate account of what was said at the show.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #352 on: November 02, 2006, 06:59:44 AM »

That was brilliant. When he says it like that I do actually totally agree with him. Fucking hilarious.
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #353 on: November 02, 2006, 07:00:11 AM »

Is that pro shot?

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
anythinggoes
« Reply #354 on: November 02, 2006, 07:03:33 AM »

Is that pro shot?

peace

no the audience zoom out shot is a still added in from what i can make out it caught me out 1st time though
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #355 on: November 02, 2006, 07:06:13 AM »

Is that pro shot?

peace

no the audience zoom out shot is a still added in from what i can make out it caught me out 1st time though

Is the whole show available? The is nothing in AFC section/

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
SharonM
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #356 on: November 02, 2006, 07:20:35 AM »

I don't know if the whole show was taped, but I found some clips from the songs.
?
WTTJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAWiQ_y-LLE&feature=PlayList&p=896CAE26AE4A3901&index=3

LALD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZPOinU-2M&feature=PlayList&p=896CAE26AE4A3901&index=4

SCOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtHekPm-5NU&feature=PlayList&p=896CAE26AE4A3901&index=5

KOHD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbmRzry8c6A&feature=PlayList&p=896CAE26AE4A3901&index=6

YCBM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMdUgFfCsLk&feature=PlayList&p=896CAE26AE4A3901&index=7

NR1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnHP6O8V_j4&feature=PlayList&p=896CAE26AE4A3901&index=8

NR2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nooeaWIwlGY&feature=PlayList&p=896CAE26AE4A3901&index=9

MM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6QuV8QTWWE&feature=PlayList&p=896CAE26AE4A3901&index=10

Patience
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO6_SvV35JA&feature=PlayList&p=896CAE26AE4A3901&index=11

PC1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bJ4invbB0E&feature=PlayList&p=896CAE26AE4A3901&index=13

PC2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOZ9HimB8xk&feature=PlayList&p=896CAE26AE4A3901&index=14

Sharon
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #357 on: November 02, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »

Thanks for the link! I just finally got to hear the rant for myself for the first time. I was surprised to learn that Axl said "some kid from Iowa" not "Ireland" as I originally read. Now I'm all sorts of upset, I was depending on kids from Ireland for my info, now I gotta start looking at contacts in Iowa. Damnit! Oh well, guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet.  hihi

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #358 on: November 02, 2006, 09:50:52 AM »

Thanks for the link.

After hearing the rant...it is not as big a deal as I once thought.  He gets in a jab but does not go off on a long rant.  And yea, he says Iowa.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
marino95
Rocker

« Reply #359 on: November 02, 2006, 09:58:11 AM »

Die hard fans kept the porch light on all these years.? We sold out Hammerstein and sent the band off to Europe with an understanding that the album would follow later this year. I dont think we should be dismissed so haphazardly, especially by Del.

I couldn't agree more.

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
5/28/04 VR - Wash DC (9:30 Club)
5/12/06 New York (1st show)
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: