Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 02:08:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AXL's Rant in San Juan last night
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AXL's Rant in San Juan last night  (Read 73147 times)
Z
« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2006, 07:28:23 PM »

I'm traveling to NYC to see them on the 10th of November. ?I saw them at Hammerstein. ?I will get to see a different show.

I'll get to see Beautiful and Don't Cry played during the solos. ?Perhaps Ziggy Stardust by Dizzy?!? ?None of those were performed in May of this year.

Hopefully I'll get to witness the opening riff of Chinese Democracy for the encore.

I may get to see Frank on skins.

But what I fully expect to see is all the GNR classics, played LIVE, that have kept me tight to this band since 1987. ?And I'm guessing I will hear better versions than I heard at Hammerstein earlier this year. ?It will be some 30-40 shows since I saw them last. ?No doubt they will be better.

I'll also be able to absorb Sebastian Bach's performance during My Michelle. ?I was at the first show in Hammerstein so I was out of my mind numb when he came on stage. ?Nobody knew it was coming. ?I was in shock, but this time I'll know he's coming.

I was also surprised that they played all the new songs that they did. ?Maybe we'll get a surprise....like Sorry. ?Bach's description of that song got me itching to hear it.

If the same setlist is played, I'll be rockin' my ass off. ?It's GNR live!!! ?Per my opinion, there is no better rock show around.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 07:30:15 PM by Z » Logged
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #221 on: October 30, 2006, 07:30:55 PM »

I think its funny Axl reads the message boards, or someone reads it for him and lets him know whats up. I figure he wouldn't care or have better things to do with his time. Maybe he/someone has been reading them for awhile, and he's finally out there because he wants be but also because he finally wants to give something back to his biggest fans. I know its unlikey, but he wouldn't comment on shit on a message board or care about it if he didnt care about his fans and what they think. smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #222 on: October 30, 2006, 07:34:26 PM »

I am complaining, and I saw them in boston 2002, Ny hammerstein 2006 and im going to worcester (and maybe MSG) 2006.

Why are you going then if you don't like the setlist?

You want to go so you can complain? You want to go in case they change the setlist?

Or maybe you go because you know it'll be a fucking awesome show, but you still feel the need to have something to complain about?

/jarmo

Why exactly is it wrong for him to want to see a different show? November is the time at which a single/album is likely to drop; there is/was a strong chance to hear something completely new as opposed to what we heard in May.

For myself,  if I knew that the setlist would be less new than the one I saw on May 12 at the Hammer gig, I probably wouldn't  have spent another $100+ to see them again until the album dropped.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2006, 07:36:26 PM »

Amen Axl. ?I'm sick of hearing people complain too. ?Wahhhh! ?I wanna hear different songs. ?Wahhhh! ?Just be grateful you're hearing ANYTHING. ?All those who complain, you know who you are. ?Do yourselves a favor and make yourself your own greatest hits CD. ?Listen to that over and over. ?That'll solve all your problems. ?Cuz Axl can't create a setlist for Billy from Boise, Idaho because Sally from Bakersfield, CA is gonna wanna hear some different songs. ?You see how ridiculous this is. ?Shut up and enjoy the ride.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #224 on: October 30, 2006, 07:41:41 PM »

Amen Axl.  I'm sick of hearing people complain too.  Wahhhh!  I wanna hear different songs.  Wahhhh!  Just be grateful you're hearing ANYTHING.  All those who complain, you know who you are.  Do yourselves a favor and make yourself your own greatest hits CD.  Listen to that over and over.  That'll solve all your problems.  Cuz Axl can't create a setlist for Billy from Boise, Idaho because Sally from Bakersfield, CA is gonna wanna hear some different songs.  You see how ridiculous this is.  Shut up and enjoy the ride.

I don't think the majority of the criticisms are unjust at all.  As Acquience Rain pointed at the Bar, why is it wrong to want to hear new songs on what is called the Chinese Democracy World Tour? And in fact many of us aren't even complaining about the lack of new songs. We miss alot of the Illusion material and would gladly trade one or two of the back AFD catalog for one of the older gems.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
SWINGTRADER
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2006, 07:51:41 PM »

Of all the people that are going to the shows ?or are going to buy the album ? this board is really the ? minority . ? Of all the GNR boards ?in the internet ?i would say that 2-3 of those people are attending each show . ? ? This is why I am surprised he even took the ?time ?to respond to us. ? If Axl only depended ?on us ?there would be no tours ?or album . ? If i were Axl I wouldn't ?even acknowledge this board ?or any other GNR board . ?Even if he lost us as fans ?it still would not hurt him financially . ? If we were important ?he would have released this album a long time ago , he knows the fanbase of the message board ?will not make or break the album ?which is why he doesn't care how great you think the new tunes ?are . ?Fact is that the majority of the casual fans think the new band is ?shit and that ?is what keeps delaying the album . ?He is afraid to fail . He knows that most people at the concert are hearing the ?new tunes ?and the current setlist for the first time . The new tunes that we have heard thus far ?are the best Axl has to offer ?and he wants to make sure ?people hear it . ?He's not going to replace his best new songs ?in the setlists ?for the remaining shitty ones ?in the album. He wants people to buy the album ?, so he is going to be playing the best new tunes ?no matter how badly ?any of us ?want to hear the other ?songs ?from the album. So please stop demanding so much from Axl ?, ?we mean nothing to him and until you guys realized that ?you will keep being disappointed ?time after time . ?
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #226 on: October 30, 2006, 07:53:49 PM »

Fact is that the majority of the casual fans think the new band is  shit and that  is what keeps delaying the album .  .

Facts unsupported by evidence.

He is afraid to fail . He knows that most people at the concert are hearing the  new tunes  and the current setlist for the first time .

Source?

The new tunes that we have heard thus far  are the best Axl has to offer  and he wants to make sure  people hear it

Assumption by you.

14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #227 on: October 30, 2006, 07:55:15 PM »

It is reasonable to believe that when CD does arrive in stores, we will then here new songs. ?Until then, I'll take Better, IRS, Chinese Democracy, Madagascar and The Blues. ?Hell, I even got to hear TWAT at Hammerstein. ?The setlist will change when the majority of the audience can be as into these songs as they are into songs from AFD. ?Until then lets wait until CD is released before we expect any major changes. ?

Although I would like to see them drop LALD and replace it with something else off UYI like Civil War or Dead Horse.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #228 on: October 30, 2006, 07:57:36 PM »

I am complaining, and I saw them in boston 2002, Ny hammerstein 2006 and im going to worcester (and maybe MSG) 2006.

You want to go so you can complain? You want to go in case they change the setlist?

Or maybe you go because you know it'll be a fucking awesome show, but you still feel the need to have something to complain about?

/jarmo

Why exactly is it wrong for him to want to see a different show? November is the time at which a single/album is likely to drop; there is/was a strong chance to hear something completely new as opposed to what we heard in May.

For myself,  if I knew that the setlist would be less new than the one I saw on May 12 at the Hammer gig, I probably wouldn't  have spent another $100+ to see them again until the album dropped.

Thats exactly why I cheaped out and got 300 level seats.  I still want to be there and I'll still have a great time, but I'm not going to pay full price for a show I already saw.  I think for those of us who went to the May shows we do have to keep in mind they were warm up shows and that most people at MSG probably didn't attend any of those shows so this will be the first time for them.

to me the real whiners are the dudes who have monitor the set list of EVERY show since May and compare/contrast the set lists and say which songs should have been included.  Its just beyond retarded to me why they think the setlist in Lisbon should be different then the one in Hammerstein (for example).

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #229 on: October 30, 2006, 07:59:48 PM »

Glad to see Axl liked my updates of the Sunrise, FL show and was inspired to add to my "If anyone is bitching, tell them to shut the fuck up" comment. Grin

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
a.
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #230 on: October 30, 2006, 08:00:02 PM »

I want to hear the studio versions before I hear them live. Would love to hear the new songs just as anyone would, but most people here are interested in hearing the new songs on bootlegs, which is probably why they're not playing them. The band would rather you hear them in their full glory on the new album, trust me on that, otherwise you'd have heard the entire album by now.

a.
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #231 on: October 30, 2006, 08:01:36 PM »

you know, ultimately it comes down to money:

if you're really that unsatisfied with the setlist then vote with your wallet and dont go to the shows. it just seems silly to me to bitch about the setlists then plunk down your cash irregardless. wait-you assumed when they toured this time you'd be hearing newer stuff and it isnt happening? then sell your seats to someone who wants to see the band no matter what theyre playing, or bring a friend along whose yet to go and eexperience the concert through their eyes.

i get that some folks here have been to alot of shows and want to feel rewarded by hearing something new this time..but ultimately the band and the majority of the audience dictate the setlist-if the majority of folks buying tickets arent superdiehards, they're gonna wanna hear what they know-and the band will plan accordingly.

Thats exactly why I cheaped out and got 300 level seats.  I still want to be there and I'll still have a great time, but I'm not going to pay full price for a show I already saw.  I think for those of us who went to the May shows we do have to keep in mind they were warm up shows and that most people at MSG probably didn't attend any of those shows so this will be the first time for them.

well put  ok

and yes, i recognize the diehards are crucial to the success of the new endeavor, and i think once the new product is out we will be rewarded...until then---it's a business, and ya gotta treat it as such.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #232 on: October 30, 2006, 08:01:42 PM »

/jarmo

Already got the tix and thought they were going to play more new songs. The hammerstein show was great because they added in TWAT, IRS and Better, but since that show they have since dropped CD or Madagadscar and rarely play TWAT. Like I said its the CD tour i really dont think its too much to ask for them to play the leaks and the live songs t hey played in 2002 but they cant even do that
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 08:04:50 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #233 on: October 30, 2006, 08:10:31 PM »

There's a huge difference between wishing to see something at a future show you're attending and complaining about the shows you weren't at.

I dunno why people says "I've seen the band on this tour like 100000 times and I can complain". No, you don't. The shows are not made for you and the small part of the crowd who were at another gig, but the majority who never saw the new band or the GN'R at all. Better not be so selfish about it...

No offense, but please read people's posts before you attack what you think they've said.  I wanted my last post to be the last one on this issue but it's posts like this one that requires me to post.

There's been several constructive criticisms made over this setlist and Axl's defense of it.  Yet you address none of them.  This "small part of the crowd" argument doesn't fly anymore once the band arrives in New York, especially New York.  In the last 4 years, the band will have performed basically the same setlist for six performances (assuming not much has changed this time around) in the same city.  Not saying that everyone going to this year's MSG show has seen the new band before, but I'd bet that most people attending this round has seen them in the last four years.  The majority is getting smaller and smaller.  This goes for cities like Toronto, Cleveland, Millwaukee, Chicago  A band cannot perform the same setlists (the Rolling Stones at least change the song order) in the same cities and think people aren't going to notice.  Even those coming with me who haven't seen the show were a little weary when I told them that it was essentially the same set that they've been playing for four years (I reassured them that it was an amazing show, why else would I pay a lot of money to see it 11 times). 

Look, I've purchased over $1k worth of GnR tickets over the past four years, not including traveling expenses and merchandise (don't even want to think about that).  I'm going to 3 shows this November.  I'm looking forward to them regardless of what setlist is played.  This is all in my previous post.  As was mentioned earlier, even if it's the same setlist I'll still go nuts and have a good time.  But that said, it's not out of place for me to say that I would like to see something different as someone who's invested so much in this band.

like you voice your opinions and we voice ours, Axl just voiced his which was, surprisingly enough! hihi, not with the moaners.
Why the fuss?

Not everybody can well afford the time or the $1k (well actually it's less than my estimative travelling expenses for a show, which is of course only my business) for many shows like some lucky bustards here. Most people just make it to a show or two nearby and get back with their steps and hearts bounding with lingering gratification.

Does that make them any less important as an audience at a show than those who have been to the shows enough to worry about the set list?  Money can't buy love. hihi

The setlist will change when it changes even if you don't like it changing/how it changes.
we will most likely hear the same people complaining then.  hihi
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 08:12:57 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #234 on: October 30, 2006, 08:12:45 PM »

/jarmo

Already got the tix and thought they were going to play more new songs. The hammerstein show was great because they added in TWAT, IRS and Better, but since that show they have since dropped CD or Madagadscar and rarely play TWAT. Like I said its the CD tour i really dont think its too much to ask for them to play the leaks and the live songs t hey played in 2002 but they cant even do that

sell your tix on ebay.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2006, 08:23:09 PM »

/jarmo

sell your tix on ebay.

Probably not too kosher to express ones intentions to do that here.

Outtagetme
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2006, 08:38:56 PM »

Wow- I've created the largest thread of the day.  I just thought of something.  Knowing the set list can be advantagous.  When Axl introduced Finck, I used that as an opportunity to go piss and buy more beer.  I don't care about hearing "Beautiful". 

I just hope he will continue to bitch about things on stage.  I miss the old Axl who used to talk to the audience alot and say whatever was on his mind. 
westcoastjunkie
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #237 on: October 30, 2006, 08:39:56 PM »

I can't believe there are people that would actually DEFEND Axl and co for NOT playing different set lists?!?!? What fan in their right mind WOULDN'T want to hear variation if they were seeing multiple shows? Who cares what Axl says about Internet people sitting behind keyboards. I am going to see multiple shows on the West Coast and would obviously love to see some set list changes from night to night. There is a reason that bands/acts like Springsteen, The Stones, or U2 can tour over and over and you'll see a different set every night. A great rock tour adds unpredicability - what will they play? what nuggets will they unearth tonight? What will they open with? If you play the same well-rehearsed, well-choreographed set, night after night, you've become a well-thought out show as opposed to a rock concert. I would expect to see the same act night after night from Madonna or Christina Aguilera or some other person with a choreographed stage show - not Guns n Fucking Roses.
surforia
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #238 on: October 30, 2006, 08:41:18 PM »

Wow, I just read all 12 pages of this one... ?awesome thread, some good debates goin' on... ?

it's pretty obvious why they don't play other CD tracks (they want to save them for the album, don't want to alienate non die-hards at the show, etc), but I can't think of any solid reason why they wouldn't play Civil War. ?I mean, seriously, that song fucking kills! ?Most bands would give anything to have a track like that in their catalogue... ?I went to two shows at Hammerstein, and will be in the pit at MSG and Baltimore, and I can honestly say that one reason I got my tix (especially for MSG) was that I anticipated hearing some UYI shit... ?

Varying the setlist to include a track like Civil War or Yesterdays would be perfect because (1) it's a crowd pleaser (people know and love those songs) and (2) it provides variety and would please the die-hards like us. ?It's a non-risk. ? Everybody wins. ?I really don't wanna sound like I'm complainin' here, b/c like everyone else, I just consider myself lucky to even have the chance to see them. ?I was at the philly riot, and i honestly thought I would never get to see axl live, ever.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #239 on: October 30, 2006, 08:44:16 PM »

When Axl introduced Finck, I used that as an opportunity to go piss and buy more beer.? I don't care about hearing "Beautiful".?

They play Beautiful after introducing Richard not Robin. What show were you at?

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »