Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 02:04:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AXL's Rant in San Juan last night
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AXL's Rant in San Juan last night  (Read 73134 times)
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2006, 02:40:25 PM »

Haha, look I am a person who has criticized the setlist repeatedly, and its great that apparently many of you support GNR regardless.... but he is going to get panned in the tri-state area if he doesnt mix it up. ?Whether you guys on this board care, or if Axl himself cares, that is not the issue. ?He played 4 shows at Hammerstein in May with essentially the same songs played (a few changes here and there) and he is playing 1 show in NJ and 1 in NYC. ?

I think everyone would like for the band to do well, so its important that he does switch it up, or else he is setting himself up for a negative review that will reach more than the 10k-15k fans he plays to each night. ?

Yes, but if you read the quote, you'll realise Axl doesn't give a fuck what anyone outside the 10k-15k fans think. He doesn't give a fuck if he gets panned, and why should he?

ohhhh I dont know.... maybe because his career may very well be on the line.  But why should he care about that?
SonofAGun
Rocker

Original fan Circa 87, Shaq and Roses?

« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2006, 02:42:25 PM »

"that know how to rock harder"

Please tell me how I can "rock harder". I really want to know!  Undecided
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2006, 02:44:11 PM »

Well this is called the CD tour and not the AFD tour. Maybe IF they would RELEASE an ALBUM for the CHINESE DEMOCRACY TOUR and play some more songs for CHINESE DEMOCRACY then people would not be bitching about it. Most people on the boards that are bitching have seen this band 4 or 5 times live since 2000 and have seen pretty much the same set list. I dont think anyone would care if they played the same set list of half the set was CD songs

We've already heard at least 6 of the songs that will be on the album. Any more would be too many. It's perfectly obvious why he doesn't play more CD songs before it's released.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2006, 02:46:03 PM »

Well this is called the CD tour and not the AFD tour. Maybe IF they would RELEASE an ALBUM for the CHINESE DEMOCRACY TOUR and play some more songs for CHINESE DEMOCRACY then people would not be bitching about it. Most people on the boards that are bitching have seen this band 4 or 5 times live since 2000 and have seen pretty much the same set list. I dont think anyone would care if they played the same set list of half the set was CD songs

We've already heard at least 6 of the songs that will be on the album. Any more would be too many. It's perfectly obvious why he doesn't play more CD songs before it's released.

And I totally agree with Axl by not playing new songs. However, he has both Illusion and Lies album from which to draw new material. New songs like Rhiad, Silkworms, and OMG lay dormant. I would be excited just to hear OMG again...it was a cool live song.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2006, 02:46:33 PM »

I can see why people get tired of the same setlist over and over on the boards, checking the boards for updates and seeing;

WTTJ
Mr Brownstone
ISO
LALD etc...

time and time again gets boring it would be great to see Jungle followed by The General or other unheard song because it's varied. However these shows aren't put on to please people reading the messageboards each night they're meant to rock the fuck out of the crowd in the arena that night. And that's exactly what this band does, there won't be anybody who goes to the shows and complains about the setlist during the show because they're having too good a time.

It's not that unusual for a band to play pretty much the same setlist every night on a tour any way they might throw in a different song here or there (like GNR are doing) but overall the core of the show will be the same. We were spoiled by the UYI shows and the way they were so random and unpredictable but that's not really the norm.

This band puts on one kickass show, with no setlist comlaints from the crowd because they're busy having fun. If you don't like reading the same setlist over and over again don't read the bloody update thread, you know what you're going to see. When a new or different old song is played there'll be a seperate thread about it anyway so just wait until one of them appears, until then expect exactly what we've had all year, which I've got to say when your there is one awesome show ?peace
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:48:45 PM by A Private Eye » Logged

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2006, 02:46:47 PM »

Take it easy you Irish drunks...? Grin

Eggffgg...what are you saying bout....irish...i'll feckin kill ya,,,aaaaaah...feck, me drunk?...sure, what are ya on about, ya feckin gobshite....eggfgfgsgf beer

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2006, 02:47:13 PM »

If he played CD, the ?blues, maddy, irs, better and twat at every show, no one would be complainging, but most times you just get three of those and that is it. That is stupid. And if he doesnt want to play any more new songs since the album is not out yet then he should have released the album before he started the tour

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2006, 02:49:03 PM »

Guns N Roses made their name by being "unpredictable". Axl says whats on his mind, they play whatever song feels right to them at the time. A Guns N Roses show used to be anything BUT a scripted show. You never knew wtf you were getting when you went ot see them, now you say it is ok if they play their shows "scripted"??

Yep. I care about hearing the music I love, I don't care how it is packaged.

You can feel however you want but old school fans such as myself really miss the unpredictabilty of a Guns N Roses show. And we arent "nerds" for feeling this way.

Sitting behind a computer and complaining that they play the same shit every show is a friggin' nerd. I'm an old school fan since day one, and think it is embarassing to see people make such a big deal out of all this. Either be glad he is touring and take what he is giving or not. But why bitch about it?

Everyone of you people saying we are being stupid and that we are "whining" would absolutely shit your fucking pants if you went to see a GNR show and they play a setlist that included Breakdown, Locamotive, Pretty Tied Up, One In A Million, Coma and a new unheard song....This msg board would be blowing the fuck up with positive reviews, people flipping out all over themselves with joy.

Again, I'd be happy no matter what he played. The board is already blowing up with positive reviews, and the media has also given pretty good reviews so far.

You can like the setlist now for what it is (Im not saying I hate it, just wish they would change it up a little) but you people would seriously LOVE if they played a setlist like I mentioned before.

Hypothetical arguments don't work with me. I guess I'm just a realist like that. I am also low maintenance and enjoy great music. If it happens to be scripted, then so be it. Life is too short to bitch.

See everybody tomorrow night!
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2006, 02:50:15 PM »

Sitting behind a computer and complaining that they play the same shit every show is a friggin' nerd. I'm an old school fan since day one, and think it is embarassing to see people make such a big deal out of all this. Either be glad he is touring and take what he is giving or not. But why bitch about it?

Yeah, you are right. GnR fans are definately spoiled.... Roll Eyes

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2006, 02:51:10 PM »

If he played CD, the ?blues, maddy, irs, better and twat at every show, no one would be complainging, but most times you just get three of those and that is it. That is stupid. And if he doesnt want to play any more new songs since the album is not out yet then he should have released the album before he started the tour

i never thought i'd see this day hihi cheer up man, it could be like it was in 2003 or 2004 peace and we've been getting 4 new songs a night Tongue it's change "soon" .... relax guy

SLCPUNK
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2006, 02:51:42 PM »

** - I see polluxm has already covered the selfish thing.  SLC, I understand Axl is "delivering the goods", but the variety would just make it that much better... you know, like turning the amps up to 11?  10 is all well and good, but there's no need to hold back.

I understand your point. Mine is that I simply don't care. I have too many more important things in my life to worry about how Axl's set list is going to be. If I get bored with it, I won't go. Simple as that.

Again, the main point is that the majority of people going haven't seen it before. That is all that matters, not us.
marino95
Rocker

« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2006, 02:52:12 PM »

You know .... the bottom line here is........

Release the freaking album and all of this is a moot point. ?That's the REAL problem behind everything going on in GNR land right now. ?With CD out in stores, nobody would be whining and bitching.

And frankly, the whining has picked up speed because we were promised "end of year" several times by Axl and Merck and anyone else connected to GNR - and here we are entering November with absolutely no signs of life from a marketing standpoint. ?And that is NOT a good sign - as someone said before - they aren't going to drop an album that cost $15 million to make into the record stores unannounced without a storm of publicity.

Look at the publicity that led Justin Timberlake's latest into stores - or the storm of publicity that is already out there for Jay-Z's new album (out around Thanksgiving). ?Instead, we have a band that is touring and nobody even knows it. ?THIS is why people are whining - because in the backs of our minds, we all know CD ain't coming out this year......... ? If it were out - nobody would care about the setlist.

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
5/28/04 VR - Wash DC (9:30 Club)
5/12/06 New York (1st show)
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
SonofAGun
Rocker

Original fan Circa 87, Shaq and Roses?

« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2006, 02:52:54 PM »

Nice reply though, everyone here is voicing their opinions and you're responding by calling me selfish?

You asked me what I'd like to see and I told you I don't put myself first.

I don't complain about something because it wasn't exactly the way I wanted it, when there's an arena full of people having a great time.

You demand variety, but did you ever think that maybe the band is playing what they want to play? Why does it have to be about what you want instead of being about what the band wants? Or what they think the majority of concert goers want?

/jarmo

In all honesty, I doubt the new members would want to play someone else's material.

I agree. In many groups where that are comprised of players from other known groups, you hear versions of their earlier work or their solo work. You think Robin wouldnt be comfortable or enjoy playing something from NiN once a night Or Richard Fortus wanting the same? I cant imagine playing Slash/Duff/Izzys stuff, night after night can be entirely satsifying. Maybe on some level- but still, it must get boring.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:54:43 PM by SonofAGun » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2006, 02:53:14 PM »

Who said that?
marino95
Rocker

« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2006, 02:54:23 PM »

Who said that?
How can a fan of a band that hasn't made an album in 15 years be spoiled?

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
5/28/04 VR - Wash DC (9:30 Club)
5/12/06 New York (1st show)
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2006, 02:58:31 PM »

Nice reply though, everyone here is voicing their opinions and you're responding by calling me selfish?

I don't complain about something because it wasn't exactly the way I wanted it, when there's an arena full of people having a great time.

You demand variety, but did you ever think that maybe the band is playing what they want to play? Why does it have to be about what you want instead of being about what the band wants? Or what they think the majority of concert goers want?

/jarmo

No you didn't... I asked if you would enjoy seeing variety at the concerts considering you go to numerous shows, and you replied by calling me selfish.

I'm not "demanding" they play a certain setlist. ?I'm saying that's what I prefer as a music fan and I would think any musician would enjoy it too. ?You think the majority of concert-goers would be horribly unsatisfied if the band played Yesterdays instead of Out Ta Get Me? ?or if they didn't play It's So Easy right after Jungle?

A lot of the problem stems from the fact that we've been told there is an album being released this year and the tour is called "Chinese Democracy", yet the band is playing relatively the same setlist from 2001. ?Of course, like it's been said... it is still early in the tour and my concert hasn't happened yet. ?I don't think it's right to label people as "selfish" for having preferences, though.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2006, 02:59:37 PM »

Who said that?

You said we should be happy with what we have and not complain. I disagree.

Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2006, 03:00:24 PM »

/jarmo

In all honesty, I doubt the new members would want to play someone else's material.

I agree. In many groups where that are comprised of players from other known groups, you hear versions of their earlier work or their solo work. You think Robin wouldnt be comfortable or enjoy playing something from NiN once a night Or Richard Fortus wanting the same? I cant imagine playing Slash/Duff/Izzys stuff, night after night can be entirely satsifying. Maybe on some level- but still, it must get boring.

I never tought of it that way, but you make a valid point.
But they do get a chance to do that, only they dont play nin/spit songs, but their solos.
they could play a nin/spit song, if they wanted to.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
SLCPUNK
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2006, 03:05:34 PM »

Who said that?

You said we should be happy with what we have and not complain. I disagree.

Well I certainly did not say we were spoiled.

I also said "why bitch about it?" It's not going to change anything really. And it is not out of the norm for bands to do. In fact I'd say it's pretty routine.

I also stated that it was embarassing to see people make such a big deal out of it. Which I really think it is.

Most of life is NOT on our terms, this is yet another example. They are touring, which everybody wanted. They are also playing new songs, which everybody wanted, and we are closer to an album then ever, which we also all wanted. But that doesn't seem to be good enough for people. They still find something to be upset with. To me, this is a waste of time.

Life rarely is on our terms, get used to it. I am not going to spend all day long complaining about things that didn't go "my way." Simple as that.
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2006, 03:10:56 PM »

well in ilussion tour on every show they play"
wttj,it's so easy,mr browstone,live and let die,civil war,koncok on heavens door,november rain,don't cry,you could be mine,sweet child,paradise city

i don't know what you want?

we are there because we love old songs,and i could go on 10 gnr shows with same set list,and i would have a excellent time

I have never seen so many tree
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: