Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 01:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AXL's Rant in San Juan last night
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AXL's Rant in San Juan last night  (Read 73100 times)
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2006, 02:06:58 PM »

Some of you also need to remember that outside of Axl (and maybe Dizzy for some songs) no one in the band was involved in any of the recording of the entire back catalog. For them to play any new song requires alot of time and effort to learn it to a point it can be played live the way it is supposed to be. It is not the way it used to be where they could just go "hey, lets play so and so tonight". That is probably why they got really proficient with a core of 20-25 songs and don't deviate from it.

I suspect once CD is released it will be a little easier for them to just "play" different songs every night, as there is not the cumbersome process of having to learn how to play the songs in their entirity, as they will have actually been responsible for writing them. It makes a big difference.

just to be the devils advocate...

they did have 6 years to learn the catalog, and they are professionals.
except for 2 riots, all the canceled shows(and tours), being late all the time, they've threated their fans with respect hihi (sarcasm)

but the bottom line is, that everybody who goes to the show will enjoy it, even if they play christina aguilera whole night.
only things that could ruin the experience is bad security, bad opening acts, and band being late.

as for us internet geeks, who gives a fuck. We're a sorry bunch of masochists, and experience has taught us, that the band can do, and will do what ever they want with us, since after all, most of us, will be here no matter what.

For (not intended)better(not intended) or for worse...

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2006, 02:09:58 PM »

Quote from: polluxlm on Today at 12:14:17 PM
Granted, the bitching can get a little out of hand here at times. But I must admit, so does the holier than thou praising. This is a messageboard, and I for one come here to read peoples views on the band etc, be it positive or negative. As long as an opinion is constructive and well thought out, one should be able to express it without being flamed to the extreme.

Axl is on tour, one that has gone surprisingly smooth. He sounds better than many can remember, the band is tighter and do by all means the old band justice. That's all good, few are claiming otherwise. I got to see them myself this summer and can without a doubt say it was one of the best experiences of my life. That aside, I still can't help feeling a little disappointed in the current setlist. This is what, the fourth tour, leg or whatever since the comeback in '01. I guess I just miss the unpredictable Axl from the past.

This is not bitching or whining as some will have it. It's simply my opinion as a diehard fan. You don't like it? Scroll past this post or give me a constructive counterargument. But don't waive the o' so old He has to play the old material for the casual fans, they don't wanna hear a bunch of songs they don't know. Stop complaining you stupid cockdickfucker!!! Please, don't insult my intelligence. All that's pretty much given, and I doubt there are many of us who expects the man to do that. Rather I hope for a little flexibillity. Sure, they play some of the leaks, and that's great, but that gets old too if it's the same new songs every time. Last night they played Rocket Queen and Used To Love Her. Great, that's the kind of stuff I'm hoping for, but does it have to be so rarely? There are alot of great songs to pick from, why not just throw in one or two on regular basis?

And I don't think the growing dissent in GN'R fanland is solely because we crave new songs on the setlist. I'm sure alot of these feelings stem from the neverending Chinese Democracy frustrations. We have an album that's supposedly slated for release this year. As we speak there are 61 days left in the year. The record is believed to be out in 40 or so of those days. I know some like to believe that this 15 years in the making, 13 million dollar masterpiece is just going to drop out of the sky and magically appear in stores by next week. Cool down, the record will be out soon and we will start to hear more new songs after that. Just have patience, enjoy what you have Well, I for one dare to claim that it's not that simple. Wheels need to be set in motion on this release, on every release. We should be hearing ramblings all over the place by now. But we don't. All we got is random, unsubstanstiated hearsay and the continuing promises of Axl and Merck that it will happen. That's pretty much it. Think about that for a minute and tell me how that comforts you. Cause I don't. I've been here too long.

I just don't hope this gets deleted, cause I would sure like to hear some input from the rest of you.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ __
What an excellent , well thought out post. When someone says this, it makes it hard for people to comeback at you with "LOLZ!AXL POWND YOU!!!!" No matter what the band played, we will probably never all agree unless they came out, played 4.5 hours and took requests for obscure songs on top of that as well. Some people are so into blindly following Axl, that he could? tell you to take a shit with your pants on and you would say, where and when! I have stopped complaining about the set in show review threads (as per a request from Jarmo) but questioning it, especially in a market like NYC that will have seen the same show about 6 times now in the last few years does not make one less of a fan.

This is their job, I think in the last few years these players could have learned Dead Horse, Or Breakdown. Also, most casual fans don't plunk down 100 dollars to see a band that they are only slightly familiar with. It isn't like the majority of people at the shows do not own the Illusion records.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:14:39 PM by RancidPunx » Logged

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2006, 02:10:53 PM »

You can't honestly tell me you wouldn't like to see that? ?For someone who is traveling to see more than one show on the tour, you're telling me you wouldn't eat it up if they played different shows in each city?

I guess I'm not as selfish as you.

I don't demand the band to play songs for me when there are 15000 others in the arena who are happy to hear the songs the band are playing.

Who says they won't be just as happy if the band played different songs? ?Or happier?

I'm not asking that the band play the setlist that I hand them, ?I'm asking for variety. ?I'm saying don't play the setlist that ANYONE demands, be unique... take risks... use the setlist as another way to express yourself.

Nice reply though, everyone here is voicing their opinions and you're responding by calling me selfish? ?I'm stating how I feel as a music fan, and it doesn't change for bands other than GN'R. ?The only reason it is relevant here is that I saw this band 4 years ago and right now it's shaping up for me to see the same show in another couple of weeks. ?I am still excited and I'm sure I will have a good time, but I'm not going to lie that I will be disappointed with such a similar concert (especially after forking over 80 bones to see it).

** - I see polluxm has already covered the selfish thing.  SLC, I understand Axl is "delivering the goods", but the variety would just make it that much better... you know, like turning the amps up to 11?  10 is all well and good, but there's no need to hold back.
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2006, 02:13:56 PM »

Sure glad Axl has time to monitor the boards and whatnot. Isn't he preparing to release a CD? Shouldn't he have more pressing things to worry about?

Boy, he sure knows how to treat his hardcore fans, doesn't he? Call em out at a show. Please. Complaining or not, we are the fans that have been here for the long haul. We've stuck it out, and he's gonna call us out.

By the way, Axl, since you might be reading this. It's not the setlist that's bugging me. It's the fact that many of the songs in the setlist are on some imaginary CD. The casual fans who haven't downloaded the leaks don't know what the fuck you're playing sometimes.

Oh, and if you're so cool about the bootleggers, why don't you have a policy ALLOWING recording equipment. Lots of bands do.

There's my rant. If Axl can do it, so can I.

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2006, 02:16:03 PM »

The only reason it is relevant here is that I saw this band 4 years ago and right now it's shaping up for me to see the same show in another couple of weeks. ?I am still excited and I'm sure I will have a good time, but I'm not going to lie that I will be disappointed with such a similar concert (especially after forking over 80 bones to see it).

You just described in perfect detail why there is no incentive for them to change the set-list. You said you will be disappointed, but still give them your money anyway. The 5% fanboy base may all agree with you, but are still going to keep shelling out 80 bucks everytime he is nearby. The other 95% of the audience is perfectly happy with the set, and Axl cuts down his work load by being able to do the same stuff every night.
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2006, 02:19:01 PM »

well,we want new songs,but people on apetite and illusions stuff you could see real emotions

I have never seen so many tree
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2006, 02:19:14 PM »

He should've called those people a bunch of Double Talking Jive Motherfuckers then played that song. The don't play DTJ, but they should.? hihi

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2006, 02:19:41 PM »

You just described in perfect detail why there is no incentive for them to change the set-list. You said you will be disappointed, but still give them your money anyway. The 5% fanboy base may all agree with you, but are still going to keep shelling out 80 bucks everytime he is nearby. The other 95% of the audience is perfectly happy with the set, and Axl cuts down his work load by being able to do the same stuff every night.

Who are you? Machiavelli? I'm going to a rock n' roll show, not a business strategy presentation by General Motors.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2006, 02:20:01 PM »

The only reason it is relevant here is that I saw this band 4 years ago and right now it's shaping up for me to see the same show in another couple of weeks.  I am still excited and I'm sure I will have a good time, but I'm not going to lie that I will be disappointed with such a similar concert (especially after forking over 80 bones to see it).

I think the band itself would enjoy more variety instead of reliving the same show every night. In the greatest hyperbole, its the musical equivalent of Groundhog Day.

As I said, we aren't asking for a revamp, just one refreshing salad amid a sea of sweet peanut butter cups.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2006, 02:20:42 PM »

Nice reply though, everyone here is voicing their opinions and you're responding by calling me selfish?

You asked me what I'd like to see and I told you I don't put myself first.

I don't complain about something because it wasn't exactly the way I wanted it, when there's an arena full of people having a great time.

You demand variety, but did you ever think that maybe the band is playing what they want to play? Why does it have to be about what you want instead of being about what the band wants? Or what they think the majority of concert goers want?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2006, 02:25:08 PM »

Nice reply though, everyone here is voicing their opinions and you're responding by calling me selfish?

I don't complain about something because it wasn't exactly the way I wanted it, when there's an arena full of people having a great time.

You demand variety, but did you ever think that maybe the band is playing what they want to play? Why does it have to be about what you want instead of being about what the band wants? Or what they think the majority of concert goers want?

/jarmo

My best guess but I think the band would love to mix it up.

Average concert goers will enjoy themselves as long as the hits are there.

If anyone is asking for a revamp of the sellist then they are being unfair. I think the majority of us just want an odd Rhiad, Civil War, TWAT, Garden, or Yesterdays thrown in every few shows. Even One in a Million would sound great.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
marino95
Rocker

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2006, 02:25:40 PM »

To compare what GNR does to Metallica or U2 is crazy really. ?Both of those bands have historically bent over backwards to satisfy their fans..... mixing set lists is an example of this. ?(Throw Pearl Jam in there as well)

Guns N Roses (or really, Axl Rose) has never been particularly concerned with satisfying fans. ?This is why for years Axl has come on late, cut shows short, not shown up, or whatever. ?If they ever played a mixed set list it was because THEY wanted to - not because he thought we would like it. ?I love Axl as much as anyone on here - but we're asking him to give a sh*t about us - which he clearly doesn't. ?This is why we can just sit tight and wait for 15 years for a new album until HE is ready.

It's kind of unusual for a star as big as Axl to be this way - but it's the way it is. ?VERY different from Metallica, U2 and Pearl Jam.

The thing is - he's such an enigmatic star - that we'll all put up with it and keep right on waiting. ?And I'll be right there with ya......

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
5/28/04 VR - Wash DC (9:30 Club)
5/12/06 New York (1st show)
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2006, 02:26:05 PM »

/jarmo

In all honesty, I doubt the new members would want to play someone else's material.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2006, 02:29:02 PM »

another thing is people attending like 10 shows...of course it'll get boring after a while but really how many people do that? i'm gonna see one show this tour...and if they come back this area again I'll think about it but i'm not gonna hold my breath to say yeah i'll see them a second time...i mean there are a few people who see multiple shows and have fun but if you plan on seeing them like 5 times just be ready to see the same set...if you don't wanna see the same set then don't fucking go...it's really that simple...as to the people collecting bootlegs...well comeon how many people are gonna listen to like 50 different concerts? pick the best versions of each tune and be happy they are even playing live at all peace

@ killing vector...a new buzz has to be genreated somewhere...people need to know that Axl is back so there are fans ready to buy an album...might as well play familiar tracks to generate interest to the average joe (or jane peace )

You are missing the point. The set list save TWO or THREE songs is the same it has been since 2000. So if you went to HOB, RIR, a show in 2002, and a show in 2006 that is four shows and you are getting pretty much the same set list. That is dumb. Its not like someone is saying they went to 5 or 6 shows in 2006 its been 5 or 6 over the past 6 years and teh set list is pretty much unchanged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2006, 02:30:17 PM »

In all honesty, I doubt the new members would want to play someone else's material.

For the kind of money they are probably making there are very few on this board who wouldn't jump at the chance to throw their artistic integrity out the window.
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2006, 02:31:43 PM »

/jarmo

I don't think I've heard people demanding (not that I've read anyway) a setlist change, more like they wish it would include songs like civil war and the likesometimes. But you're right. Its his show he'll do what he wants. But this stuff of people not being at the shows but still dare to complain, or wished for a few suprises, that their opinion somehow doesn't matter, I really don't understand.

As for Axl telling us whiners to kiss his ass.... I'm sorry, I don't belong to that club. hihi

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2006, 02:32:37 PM »

I don't complain about something because it wasn't exactly the way I wanted it, when there's an arena full of people having a great time

/jarmo

If it wasn't for "someone elses material" this band would not be playing full arenas. Coming in they knew they had the gigantic task of filling the shoes of Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven and I highly doubt they thought they could discount that material.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:46:15 PM by RancidPunx » Logged

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2006, 02:36:54 PM »

For the kind of money they are probably making there are very few on this board who wouldn't jump at the chance to throw their artistic integrity out the window.

I smell an insult towards the new members.....They are not making THAT much money off of those shows. But they still have faith and hope because most of them invested years of their lives and creativity into this NEW GN'R and new music.
That is why I said elsewhere, if once the album drops, there is no significant change in the set lsit, you may see frustrated members start quitting. It will be super disrespectful toward them if even after the album is out the shows still have 10 AFD songs in them and only 4-6 new songs.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2006, 02:37:05 PM »

I don't complain about something because it wasn't exactly the way I wanted it, when there's an half capacity arena full of people having a great time.

/jarmo

Sorry jarmo I had to fix up that sentence for you. ?

Think back to the North American 2002 tour. ?Which shows stick out? ?For me, its Tacoma, Auburn Hills, and MSG. ?Why? ?Tacoma was the first show of the tour, MSG was the last, and Auburn Hills was the only show that had Rhiad. ?Does anyone here disagree? ?Do you not think throwing one different song into the mix would make each show unique and memorable??

Most memorable shows from 2006? ?First night at Hammerstein, Madrid, and last night at Hammerstein... why? ?There Was a Time. ?Also, Izzy played unexpectedly and Kid Rock did Nightrain. ?I am not even a big Kid Rock fan, but I saw the only show that he has ever played onstage with Guns N Roses. ?That makes it special.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2006, 02:39:04 PM »

Haha, look I am a person who has criticized the setlist repeatedly, and its great that apparently many of you support GNR regardless.... but he is going to get panned in the tri-state area if he doesnt mix it up. ?Whether you guys on this board care, or if Axl himself cares, that is not the issue. ?He played 4 shows at Hammerstein in May with essentially the same songs played (a few changes here and there) and he is playing 1 show in NJ and 1 in NYC. ?

I think everyone would like for the band to do well, so its important that he does switch it up, or else he is setting himself up for a negative review that will reach more than the 10k-15k fans he plays to each night. ?

Yes, but if you read the quote, you'll realise Axl doesn't give a fuck what anyone outside the 10k-15k fans think. He doesn't give a fuck if he gets panned, and why should he?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: