Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:31:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Regarding all the rumors of "Better" being the single
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Regarding all the rumors of "Better" being the single  (Read 46159 times)
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2006, 12:26:54 PM »

WTTJ, YCBM, Don't Cry, PC, SCOM, and others jumped at you in the 1st listen. These songs take 3 up to 15 listens to like (Better took me 15 listens). THat is unacceptable for a first single, the first song you draw people into. If the DJ's don't like that 1st hook & the melody in the first listen & the listeners don't like it enough, it will fall flat & so will record sales.

The single isn't going to be targeted at those that want another WTTJ or YCBM. It's targeted at the public.

TheMole
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2006, 12:27:09 PM »

It's not "new-GN'R". It's GN'R Roll Eyes

Why keep on calling them 'new' or 'nu' GN'R when they've been together longer than the other line-up ? It's Dead horse.

Hog shit! It's like "Star Trek" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation". Although some like the latter (like me), and it's ok to call it just "Star Trek" and still talk about Picard and the likes. However, when referencing the original series and the next generation in one conversation, one must put the suffix in there to distinguish. It just so happens that the most commenly chosen way of describing post 96 GNR is calling it "Nu-GNR" or "New GNR". Nothing wrong with that. And just for the record: I think, not sure though, that the longest a specific GNR line-up has been together must've been about 4 years, with Steven on drums. I could be wrong though, as I don't really know what line-up changes there have been in the late nineties.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2006, 12:28:32 PM »

I think "Better" will be the single.  Why else would they pump it up like this?  Anyways, I hope Catcher in the Rye isn't one of the 13 songs on Chinese Democracy, because it's good, but not that good, and it's not even 100% GNR...the lead guitar is Brian May from Queen.  I don't think a song like that should be on the album.  Personally, I haven't heard of many songs with a different lead guitarist (not from the band) on a big album like this.

there`s also a version with finck on it.......the original version...

axl himself said newgnr by the way....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
chi_dem_is_here
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2006, 12:35:49 PM »

Nothing on are system at work (HMV) just chinese democracy priced ?13.00 deleted title

have called universal and all are major supply teams pinnacle ect ect they have no information at all

Chinese Democracy Starts Now!
masterdan
Banned
Rocker

No one can live in sorrow- -ask all your friends..

« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2006, 12:52:41 PM »

I think "Better" will be the single.? Why else would they pump it up like this?? Anyways, I hope Catcher in the Rye isn't one of the 13 songs on Chinese Democracy, because it's good, but not that good, and it's not even 100% GNR...the lead guitar is Brian May from Queen.? I don't think a song like that should be on the album.? Personally, I haven't heard of many songs with a different lead guitarist (not from the band) on a big album like this.

there`s also a version with finck on it.......the original version...

axl himself said newgnr by the way....

Well not only that, but the song is 7+ years old now...  I don't think I.R.S. should even be on the album.  If it were up to me, the only leaks on the album would be "Better" and "There Was a Time."  Those two songs caught my attention, and I liked those songs right off the bat.  CITR took me about 20 listens to starts liking, and I still don't really care about I.R.S. that much...  But that's all my opinion. Smiley

Guns N' Roses @ the Bradley Center: 11/29 (CANCELLED)
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2006, 12:55:13 PM »

WTTJ, YCBM, Don't Cry, PC, SCOM, and others jumped at you in the 1st listen. These songs take 3 up to 15 listens to like (Better took me 15 listens). THat is unacceptable for a first single, the first song you draw people into. If the DJ's don't like that 1st hook & the melody in the first listen & the listeners don't like it enough, it will fall flat & so will record sales.

The single isn't going to be targeted at those that want another WTTJ or YCBM. It's targeted at the public.

Well, from what I've seen in all the "neo GNR" bashing that Slash is gone,blah,blah,blah the PUBLIC WANTS A NEW WTTJ or YCBM - and that IS the problem Axl is facing!

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
masterdan
Banned
Rocker

No one can live in sorrow- -ask all your friends..

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2006, 12:58:07 PM »

Well, from what I've seen in all the "neo GNR" bashing that Slash is gone,blah,blah,blah the PUBLIC WANTS A NEW WTTJ or YCBM - and that IS the problem Axl is facing!

Well, I say that if they can't deal with it...fuck 'em!? They won't like GNR's new album no matter what, just because Slash isn't in it.? This whole album could be better than Appetite for Destruction, but some people are just too thick-headed.? GNR will get new fans from this album...

Guns N' Roses @ the Bradley Center: 11/29 (CANCELLED)
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2006, 12:59:54 PM »

Well, I say that if they can't deal with it...fuck 'em!? They won't like GNR's new album no matter what, just because Slash isn't in it.? This whole album could be better than Appetite for Destruction, but some people are just too thick-headed.? GNR will get new fans from this album...

Amen brother! beer

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2006, 01:00:13 PM »

why don't "blend" this thread into the other "BETTER" thread
DaNutz
Headliner

Seriously fuck off

« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2006, 05:27:24 PM »

To all those that oppose BETTER:

It should come to no surprise that they are picking a leak as the first single.
From a promotion standup, its the most logical way to go, in that many are already
familiar with the leaks and its been played live to many fans around the world.

It's also common knowledge they'd release a rocker first...So either IRS, BETTER OR CD
would likely be the first single...I think most fans prefer BETTER to IRS (although it may
be close).

I wouldnt be surprised to see The Blues as the #2 single, followed be whatever other
surprises the album has....Although I wouldnt hold the same weight to the #2 single
as #1.

P.S. BETTER will easily go to #1 on the rock charts...Anyone want to wager on this?
Ill wager up to 2k and we can have Jarmo hold it in an escrow account (on the
condition that BETTER is released as #1 single and MTV plays their video) until
it hits #1 in US market, or obviously has no chance at going #1.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2006, 05:31:45 PM »

The "Rock Charts" is not important. There is one real singles charts, it's the Top 40. and there is one real albums charts, it's the Bilboard Top 200.
Think global.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2006, 05:32:02 PM »

To all those that oppose BETTER:

It should come to no surprise that they are picking a leak as the first single.
From a promotion standup, its the most logical way to go, in that many are already
familiar with the leaks and its been played live to many fans around the world.

It's also common knowledge they'd release a rocker first...So either IRS, BETTER OR CD
would likely be the first single...I think most fans prefer BETTER to IRS (although it may
be close).

I wouldnt be surprised to see The Blues as the #2 single, followed be whatever other
surprises the album has....Although I wouldnt hold the same weight to the #2 single
as #1.

P.S. BETTER will easily go to #1 on the rock charts...Anyone want to wager on this?
Ill wager up to 2k and we can have Jarmo hold it in an escrow account (on the
condition that BETTER is released as #1 single and MTV plays their video) until
it hits #1 in US market, or obviously has no chance at going #1.

I still think the leaks were intentional. NOT Catcher, but the first three. Management did not become active on the forums until CITR leaked. I think someone who had it got less scared after the other three leaked and figured since other people were doing it he would be okay to let one leak, too.

I just find it ironic that Axl mentions TWAT and Better as his favorites in RS and - whaddaya know! There they are.

I think it was a way of getting the names of the songs out there, building up some more hype, then letting the songs go and having people say, "Hey, that song Axl was talking about last week is online! Cool!"

It got people interested and helped advance-hype the tour. People had more faith after hearing the demos that they *were* making music after all.

I honestly think it was a brilliant marketing scheme.

After CITR leaked, management quickly found the leaker by sending people onto the forums. I was one of the first people to have the leak. Someone sent it to me and asked me to post it on MyGNR. I said I wouldn't because I didn't want to have any responsibility for this. I told my story on the forum and right after this all these newly-registered users contacted me asking for tons of information on the guy who sent it to me. One of the people who asked me later was basically determined to be some sort of plant.

It sounds like a wacky conspiracy theory but think about it - it's great marketing. What better way to reinvent interest in a defunct band than release some tracks onto the 'net and get people speculating and talking again?
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2006, 05:35:33 PM »

Amen brother! beer

I'm not dissing completely on the songs put out thusfar by the new GNR - they will make for a great record. But I doubt these songs will be singles if they are already out. They are obviously out for a reason, to give fans a sample of what is to come. That's what happened with Silkworms & Rhyad and the Bedouins. A song that will make for the 1st GNR single will need to hook people in on the 1st play, which was the strength of the past material.

There's nothing wrong in saying that GNR needs a song that plays to old strengths. Isn't that why Axl kept the name?

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
DaNutz
Headliner

Seriously fuck off

« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2006, 05:52:03 PM »

The "Rock Charts" is not important. There is one real singles charts, it's the Top 40. and there is one real albums charts, it's the Bilboard Top 200.
Think global.

I believe the billboard top 200 (which is NOT global btw, only US MARKET) is determined by actual sales, which is pretty cool, so CD should do well here.

The Top 40 charts on the other hand, are derived from airplay and sales with the emphasis on airplay..Each time a single is played
from MONITORED radio stations, 1 point is scored...Unfortunately most of the monitored stations are TOP 40 stations, thus it is very unfair
to realistically compare a rock single to a pop single....Only a ballad would have a chance.
Dadud3
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2006, 06:07:07 PM »

I emailed a DJ at a local station that plays all the hits about Better, and if hes heard anything about it, and this is what he had to say about it.

(its in the form of a .jpg due to Gmail refusing to let me copy\paste. Emails and such have been blurred out to prevent harassment and such. Also, to clear it up, My original email is at the botom of the page, and his reply is at the top, you can find the WIFC site and http://www.WIFC.com)

CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2006, 06:37:51 PM »

I emailed a DJ at a local station that plays all the hits about Better, and if hes heard anything about it, and this is what he had to say about it.

(its in the form of a .jpg due to Gmail refusing to let me copy\paste. Emails and such have been blurred out to prevent harassment and such. Also, to clear it up, My original email is at the botom of the page, and his reply is at the top, you can find the WIFC site and http://www.WIFC.com)

Cool man  ok

Wonder if hes heard the leak or the actual single though.
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2006, 06:42:05 PM »

Cool man  ok

Wonder if hes heard the leak or the actual single though.

It's just the demo.

No one has the single yet.

It hasn't been shipped to the stations.

I mean... ermm... can we say that? I don't know what we are/aren't allowed to talk about at this point regarding the song.  Lips Sealed
GNRSANDMAN
Rocker

Bring it Axl

« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2006, 06:43:47 PM »

I still think the leaks were intentional. NOT Catcher, but the first three. Management did not become active on the forums until CITR leaked. I think someone who had it got less scared after the other three leaked and figured since other people were doing it he would be okay to let one leak, too.

I just find it ironic that Axl mentions TWAT and Better as his favorites in RS and - whaddaya know! There they are.

I think it was a way of getting the names of the songs out there, building up some more hype, then letting the songs go and having people say, "Hey, that song Axl was talking about last week is online! Cool!"

It got people interested and helped advance-hype the tour. People had more faith after hearing the demos that they *were* making music after all.

After CITR leaked, management quickly found the leaker by sending people onto the forums. I was one of the first people to have the leak. Someone sent it to me and asked me to post it on MyGNR. I said I wouldn't because I didn't want to have any responsibility for this. I told my story on the forum and right after this all these newly-registered users contacted me asking for tons of information on the guy who sent it to me. One of the people who asked me later was basically determined to be some sort of plant.

It sounds like a wacky conspiracy theory but think about it - it's great marketing. What better way to reinvent interest in a defunct band than release some tracks onto the 'net and get people speculating and talking again?

Wacky is the norm with GN'R. ?Yes odds are they were intentional.

CD or no CD, THAT is the question?Huh?
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2006, 06:44:55 PM »

Wacky is the norm with GN'R.  Yes odds are they were intentional.

Ain't that the truth!

Hey, by the way, are you Sandman from MyGNR?  Huh
GNRSANDMAN
Rocker

Bring it Axl

« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2006, 07:01:36 PM »

Nope. No relation

CD or no CD, THAT is the question?Huh?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: