Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 11:14:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Regarding all the rumors of "Better" being the single
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Regarding all the rumors of "Better" being the single  (Read 42190 times)
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2006, 02:49:43 AM »

Back on topic, I have a horrible feeling that if Better is the first single, it will either be a massive success or the biggest flop in music history...I am unsure which.  nervous

That could happen with any Nu-GN'R song. We don't know how the public will react cause it's very different from the classic GN'R - other players, other music style.

I really like Better - but my brother, who was a huge GN'R fan back then (and he still loves the classic band) said it's crap, all of the new songs (except CITR) are much better.

Your brother said they all suck, except for CITR?

HUH?

CITR is great, but that's probably the most un-GNR song of them all.

Does anyone else think the melody in CITR sounds very very similar to VR's Fall To Pieces? Or is it just me?

It's probably the most original GN'R sounding.

I will not change this Sig. until Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves or any MN teams win a Championship (10/16/06)
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2006, 03:34:23 AM »

Back on topic, I have a horrible feeling that if Better is the first single, it will either be a massive success or the biggest flop in music history...I am unsure which.  nervous

That could happen with any Nu-GN'R song. We don't know how the public will react cause it's very different from the classic GN'R - other players, other music style.

I really like Better - but my brother, who was a huge GN'R fan back then (and he still loves the classic band) said it's crap, all of the new songs (except CITR) are much better.

HUH?

Does anyone else think the melody in CITR sounds very very similar to VR's Fall To Pieces? Or is it just me?

Don't even go there. The CITR leak is from 1999. So Axl didn't rip off VR.
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2006, 04:10:05 AM »

HUH?

He wasn't implying they did. He just asked if anyone else thought it sounded similar.

I don't, personally. Sounds nothing like it IMO.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2006, 04:47:29 AM »

Back on topic, I have a horrible feeling that if Better is the first single, it will either be a massive success or the biggest flop in music history...I am unsure which.? nervous

HUH?

Easy, easy. I'm with you. It's just when he finishes the lyric "guess i'd have more fun" (or however it goes), and the guitar part kicks in, it sounds similar to FTP imo. Guess no else hears it. No biggie. Keep in mind, Axl's been working on this shit for years... over a decade.

It's just you.............

Apparently, jeezus...  nervous

Back on topic, I have a horrible feeling that if Better is the first single, it will either be a massive success or the biggest flop in music history...I am unsure which. nervous

HUH?

It's probably the most original GN'R sounding.

I disagree. To me it's unlike the traditional GNR sound like Silkworms & OMG. The difference is, with SW & OMG, they went more modern, whereas CITR is different, but reverse. It sounds more classic rock. I can definitely hear the Queen references in CITR, when Axl made the comment some of the arrangements sound like Queen.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2006, 04:56:34 AM »

Easy, easy. I'm with you. It's just when he finishes the lyric "guess i'd have more fun" (or however it goes), and the guitar part kicks in, it sounds similar to FTP imo. Guess no else hears it. No biggie. Keep in mind, Axl's been working on this shit for years... over a decade.

OK, I apologize then. I don't really hear it, but then again I try to avoid "FTP" as much as possible (it's such a cliche ballad...very average).
SPUNKY
Rocker

do one sweatheart!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2006, 04:59:27 AM »

well as im a myspace whore...

I sent the better song 2 all my mates most said it fuckin rocks and cant believe its GNR

any other myspace whores do the same!

ok

SOUTHEND UNITED LEAGUE 1 CHAMPIONS 2006

HAMMERSMITH JUNE 7TH

DOWNLAND 9-11 JUNE GNR
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2006, 05:01:48 AM »

OK, I apologize then. I don't really hear it, but then again I try to avoid "FTP" as much as possible (it's such a cliche ballad...very average).

Oh GOD how I agree with you.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2006, 05:15:22 AM »

I really like CITR. I didn't at first listen, but I gave it another chance.

That song is very, very good and reminds me more of The Beatles, (which makes sense if you think about it) with a more modern/updated feel to it. yes
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2006, 05:29:50 AM »

I like VR, but I usually don't listen to Contraband much mainly b/c they're at the end of the alphabet on my iTunes list. Same goes for The Who and ZZ Top (two bands I don't like, but LOVE!). But "FTP" definitely is not a good song in my opinion. It's just the ex-Gunners trying to recreate Axl's balladry from UYI but with a much lousier frontman. At any rate, I do love "Slither" and "Sucker Train Blues."
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2006, 05:58:23 AM »

Back on topic, I have a horrible feeling that if Better is the first single, it will either be a massive success or the biggest flop in music history...I am unsure which.? nervous

HUH?

The opposite. He thinks Better and CITR are the worst works of Nu-GN'R.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2006, 06:06:13 AM »

HUH?

The opposite. He thinks Better and CITR are the worst works of Nu-GN'R.

Then he's either lying or has no sense for music  Grin

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2006, 07:14:57 AM »

Alot of people are like that. No offense, but the whole "Nu-GNR" bit is played out too.

This is Guns N' Roses, not Nu-GNR.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2006, 07:59:30 AM »

I like VR, but I usually don't listen to Contraband much mainly b/c they're at the end of the alphabet on my iTunes list. Same goes for The Who and ZZ Top (two bands I don't like, but LOVE!). But "FTP" definitely is not a good song in my opinion. It's just the ex-Gunners trying to recreate Axl's balladry from UYI but with a much lousier frontman. At any rate, I do love "Slither" and "Sucker Train Blues."

I don't see the facisnation around Sucker, and alot of fans love that one. Slither is probably their ONLY song I kinda like, but at it's best it's average.

To me, so far from what i've heard, Slither is the best i've heard from their offerings (yes, I do own Contra), and to me Oh My God surpasses Slither, and that's on GNR's lower list for it's newer stuff.

To me, even the best from VR, doesn't even match to the worst of new-GNR.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2006, 08:19:14 AM »

VR talk goes in the VR section.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2006, 08:59:12 AM »

I hope "Better" won't be a single. I hope Axl and his new gnr has something better to offer to the fans. Undecided

I'll download it !
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2006, 09:11:36 AM »

I hope "Better" won't be a single. I hope Axl and his new gnr has something better to offer to the fans. Undecided

It's not "new-GN'R". It's GN'R Roll Eyes

Why keep on calling them 'new' or 'nu' GN'R when they've been together longer than the other line-up ? It's Dead horse.

IMO Better would be a great single to launch the album. It's appealing. That's what the band need, a quick hit. So they'll have exposure.

Maybe there's some big guns we haven't heard yet ? Half the album is still unknown ...

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Disco Volante
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2006, 09:13:25 AM »

I still think "better" will not be the 1st single.

Why?
Because in the Land of Nesquick, anything that has Buckethead on it cant be a single.

In the land of Nesquick, the only thing deemed single worthy is a song that only consists of Axl singing and Fortus strumming a guitar....

I couldn"t have said it "Better"
slunksoma
Headliner

Here Today...Gone to Bed

« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2006, 09:15:09 AM »

I think Better will be the first single cos it sums up GnR's attitude toward being noticed.
the 'awkward' intro adds to the effect when the guitars explode into life. People will be clamering to hear the newgnr then this cat like axl jingle thats somewhat unsettling (for want of a better word) starts up. New listeners are gonna be like wtf? then BAM it starts into life and people will then sit up and listen. exactly the same strategy for the tour. low key (to the US market) European tour, odd appearances here and there nudge people into thinking what Axl is up to then an all out assault on the US inc. release of the album (following the single) and things will explode.
I expect to hear today or tomorrow, I would start another sweepstake thread but i may get banned ?Wink

masterdan
Banned
Rocker

No one can live in sorrow- -ask all your friends..

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2006, 12:15:13 PM »

I think "Better" will be the single.  Why else would they pump it up like this?  Anyways, I hope Catcher in the Rye isn't one of the 13 songs on Chinese Democracy, because it's good, but not that good, and it's not even 100% GNR...the lead guitar is Brian May from Queen.  I don't think a song like that should be on the album.  Personally, I haven't heard of many songs with a different lead guitarist (not from the band) on a big album like this.

Guns N' Roses @ the Bradley Center: 11/29 (CANCELLED)
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2006, 12:23:28 PM »

All I can say regarding the first GNR single in 12 years is that it "Better" not be anything we have heard yet.
I have come to like the new songs, only because I have listened to them many times. I consider TWAT, Better, Madagascar, The Blues, Oh My G-d, IRS to be good and some great moments here & there.

But WTTJ, YCBM, Don't Cry, PC, SCOM, and others jumped at you in the 1st listen. These songs take 3 up to 15 listens to like (Better took me 15 listens). THat is unacceptable for a first single, the first song you draw people into. If the DJ's don't like that 1st hook & the melody in the first listen & the listeners don't like it enough, it will fall flat & so will record sales.

I am confident that these track leaks & live performances are songs that will not be released as the first single. Axl can't be dumb enough to fire his "big guns" before the album blows up.
Here's to hoping.
 Grin
MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: