Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 05:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Post your Chinese Democracy promotion ideas here
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post your Chinese Democracy promotion ideas here  (Read 13359 times)
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« on: January 10, 2005, 11:16:28 AM »

this thought came to me thinking about if GN'R had a commercial tie in in the superbowl

the WTTJ video game tie in was cool

for the new album what if they joined with a major brand or product in a marketing partnership

now that KFC is out of the picture (remeber the GN'R Six piece special hoax/rumour?  Grin)...
who/what wouldn't you mind GN'R hooking up with in some sort of promotion for the new album

whether it be just including some of the new music... or a full on concert promotion sponsership

what type of product or what brand wouldn't be a bad idea?

honestly - I cant' think of anything...

you guys?

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 11:43:56 AM »

I started the same kind of topic 2 years ago, "promotion of CD" etc... and nothing ever happened.
Now, I think it's funny to talk about promotion whereas the album has more chance not to come out than the contrary...
The only thing I'd like to say about the "promotion" in GN'R is that the guy in charge of the promotion during 2002 should really be fired. He is a zero. Give me the marketing/promotion job in GN'R and I'll make fantastic results. I'm still at University but I know how to make something big. Going on tour without an album and after 10 years of total silence is a huge mistake. The promotion was also pretty poor, I mean, NOTHING compared to the Illusion erea where GN'R was everywhere. the name "Guns n' Roses" was nowhere in 2002 (exept for the VMA). Buy pages in magazines, make tons of advertizing, Try to organize a huge concert broatcasted by satellite, contact the media, make an appearance on a famous talk show (CNN or NBC), make a great website, put games on it for fans etc...don't be afraid to put money. Money is made to be spent! It's called investment. Stop to be "little". just fucking make it big! Guns n' Roses has sold over 85 million records worldwide (and counting), and Geffen is one of the biggest musical company in the world, so come on move your ass. Just look at U2, one U2 show = one sold-out stadium. Guns n' Roses popularity is on the same league as U2 so why nobody moves his/her ass in GN'R? that's crazy...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 12:05:28 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 12:53:33 PM »

I started the same kind of topic 2 years ago, "promotion of CD" etc... and nothing ever happened.
Now, I think it's funny to talk about promotion whereas the album has more chance not to come out than the contrary...

I seem to remember the illusive Mysteron starting a similar thread not so long ago.....talking of which I think he's gone on vacation

I think we need to add a sleepy face to posting icons. You know a little face with a nightcap and a lantern in his hand

Here today...ready to rock
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 05:47:36 AM »

I seem to remember the illusive Mysteron starting a similar thread not so long ago.....talking of which I think he's gone on vacation

I think we need to add a sleepy face to posting icons. You know a little face with a nightcap and a lantern in his hand

maybe Mysteron is Merck?? he's on vacation too - till the 15th!  Roll Eyes

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 06:44:45 AM »

maybe Mysteron is Merck?? he's on vacation too - till the 15th!? Roll Eyes

BUSTED!!!  hihi

SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 08:11:33 AM »

To get this thread back on topic...

I think a few items might be successful for promoting CD.

Firstly, another 'surprise' guest appearance by the band during a major television event (ie: VMAs, Superbowl, Grammy's, etc.) is definitely the way to start it up again. It's a shame that it will be automatically compared to a carbon copy of the 2002 VMAs, but I don't think it could hurt.

Secondly, some secret or surprise gigs in the NY, LA area might be a good idea. Some clubs gigs like this (especially surprise gigs) will catch many old/new fans off guard and word would travel quickly...not to mention that some club gigs might druge up some bittersweet memories of GN'R past (which is a good thing, BTW).

As far as music videos go, they would have to be another reason to watch them other than the fact that they are GN'R (not to disrespect GN'R...it's just nobody airs music videos anymore and our youth doesn't seem to care as they were brought up on TRL, not Headbanger's Ball). What I mean by this is that the videos (much like the "Without You" trilogy) need to be linked somehow...have a mystery behind them. Perhaps a string of videos that detail ALL that's gone on with Axl and the band (and former band) since the recording of Sympathy for the Devil.

Certainly a soundtrack song might be a great push as well. I think someone on this board mentioned Sin City and I agree that might be a perfect choice.

Lastly, perhaps headlining with another major act isn't such a bad idea. I used to be against it, but I know how difficult it is for any band to do 'sold out' tour anymore (not to mention a Stadium tour). Hell, I think the only band that is capable of still selling out a stadium on their own is The Rolling Stones (and even they had some last minute tickets sold on their last tour). If Axl doesn't feel like sharing the spotlight with another big name, then how 'bout a small 'festival' type of tour with five or six other, smaller calibur bands (ie: Kid Rock, Weezer, and/or The Darkness).
Personally I'd love to see them tour with Aerosmith, but I think Axl has too much respect for them to put them through any and all "axlisms" a GN'R tour promises.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 12:20:02 PM »

Isn?t the 'surprise' guest appearance on a major television event rather well worn nowadays?

I definitely love the idea of secret gigs. Yay, get back to the basics a little.
As for Sound tracks? hmmm I think The Dragon Ball would be a good option if available?Ok, OK it?s just me.

And hey,  how can you forget Chinese Fortune Cookies. smoking
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 03:12:31 PM »

And hey,? how can you forget Chinese Fortune Cookies. smoking

Hey, say what you want...I thought it was a clever idea (maybe not successful or worthwhile, but clever nonetheless)  ok

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 03:33:25 AM »

i agree with the festival idea,   ozzy does a touring festival with many quality metal bands,
GNR could do a smaller version, (indoors maybe) most of the members have side/solo projects anyways - they could play sets too.
another arena tour (in my opinion) would be a bad idea, i went to a show in fargo on the ill-fated tour,  and while I enjoyed it,  i think most people were a little disapointed (i actually heard people saying "where was slash" and (i swear)- "why was slash wearing a mask?")    point is its not 1993 anymore.
both nine inch nails and tool are supposed to put out albums this year, and axl seems to be steering his music towards that area of music anyway-  they should be in on this festival idea too.

as far as sponcers for tours?,  some cool company like x-box or something should foot that bill.

umm.. secret appearances are good too-  when the nfl announced paul mcartny as the halftime show- i thought that axl might do one of his surpises (as a lot of you are discussing elsewhere).
i also think that they should release the album without any promotion what-so-ever,  just ship the disc one day with all the others.   that would be great publicity,  gives an urgency to talking about it on the radio/television  "GNR release first album of original material in 13years TODAY!" - that would be cool.

i should get a job in record company promotions.

so- to recap...  on the tuesday after the superbowl (special apperance of course) the cd drops and a tour with nine inch nails and tool - sponsored by X-box will be making its way across north america some time in the spring / summer-  euro-festivals and japan is always huge-  axl says he wants to tour for a while with the new material anyway.
RICHEY
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 11:25:57 AM »

Has anyone seen the footage of the concert Nirvana put on for mtv before Nevermind came out? It was in a really small studio with kids surrounding them and dangling from a balony above as they played. I think this would be brillant for GNR. Almost a Ritz for 2005. They could play for 30 minutes and preview songs off of CD and play classics. If Axl is the tip top shape, and they replay the mini concert enough it could be huge. The costs would be cheap and the exposure limitless.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 09:25:44 PM »

Has anyone seen the footage of the concert Nirvana put on for mtv before Nevermind came out? It was in a really small studio with kids surrounding them and dangling from a balony above as they played. I think this would be brillant for GNR. Almost a Ritz for 2005. They could play for 30 minutes and preview songs off of CD and play classics. If Axl is the tip top shape, and they replay the mini concert enough it could be huge. The costs would be cheap and the exposure limitless.

That would be great for the band... and the fans... especially cool if some real true hard core die hard fans could attend Wink
This would be great - could be like an album release party / gig.  ok
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 10:26:40 PM »

I honestly think that the only promotion needed is an absolute killer first single accompanyed by an awesome video perhaps hyped like Nivember Rain was when it appeared by advertising the premier etc.. Other than that perhaps some low-key gigs (or small gigs) in key areas and an announcement of album release date and tour. Thats all you need - after that it will depend on the quality of the album and the dependibility of Axl/Guns as a touring unit etc...

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
takeshi
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 03:51:59 PM »

Axl could team up with Jenny Craig and lose the love handles before the next tour.  He should be able to do it before 2020. Roll Eyes
dangnr
Headliner

My babys gotta locomotive

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 06:40:58 PM »

Hey im a long time visitor of the site but this is my first post, As far as promoting the album Im sure AXL will do this right look how much money has been spent on chinese democracy if this album sucked the record company wouldnt be putting that kind of money into it. Axl is going to have to come out of hiding talk to Loder, or go on LEtterman or something I personally think a suprise appearance somewhere or a suprise performance just like in 2002 except this time follow it up and keep the ball rolling.
 Nesquick said that Guns N Roses popularity is in the same level as U2 I have to disagree,
Guns have been out off the picture too long
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 04:16:30 PM »

Again, just a thought, so no-one jump on me over this:

The WWE has something like 20 pay per view events every month, and they always use a current modern rock single as the theme song.

I think it would be GREAT publicity if Axl licensed the first single from Democracy to the WWE to use as a PPV theme song when the album is ready to be released.

Thoughts?

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
Cooker
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 04:18:58 PM »

I think that would be a little to much, why the WWE? Sure its alot of exposure, but the WWE is not what it was, I think GN'R should just release the single and CD and tour.

When Im Gone.............
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 04:20:37 PM »

Yeah, the WWE (I HATE calling it that - it'll always be the WWF to me) pretty much sucks anymore - but there's still ALOT of people that watch it and go to the events. Its really just a matter of getting the message out to as many people as possible that GN'R are back!

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
wes
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 04:21:09 PM »

It was cool when Arnold Schwarzenneger promoted his movie End Of Days and beat the shit outta triple H but that was when WWE was kinda good. now its incredibly lame and everytime i hear music from WWE i get annoyed. i dont know why.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 04:22:04 PM »

Yeah, the WWE (I HATE calling it that - it'll always be the WWF to me) pretty much sucks anymore - but there's still ALOT of people that watch it and go to the events. Its really just a matter of getting the message out to as many people as possible that GN'R are back!

have you seen the kind of people who watches that ?

i kid i kid Smiley

Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 04:32:45 PM »

How about a 2 yr worldwode tour to raise awareness of GNR before deciding to release the album?  Huh

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: