Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228528 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How do you feel about the new version of 'The Blues'?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you feel about the new version of 'The Blues'?  (Read 11717 times)
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2006, 06:39:37 AM »

I keep singing "Ok, nevermind" during The Blues, and he doesn't say that anymore? hihi
Yesterday I was singing as loud as I could, and I shouted: "Ok, nevermind", but he didn't say that... Oops!

You do know that he was talking to the sound guy, or some other fool, when he said that......

nervous

For me, I can't help but feel that the Rio version, the first one, is the closest to what the album version will be, or at least to what it was at any rate.

I'm not too bothered about any changes, I don't listen to the old new songs anyway..... I want those that are on the album to seem fresh, I think I killed them a bit.

Erm... No I don't  Grin

But thanks.
I have the video and never noticed that... lol!
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2006, 02:45:17 AM »

I know there have been some discussions of this in the past but never in one single thread, and I'd like to start a thread about it to hear what people have to say. If the moderators wish to relocate this to Dead Horse I will not object; however, I think it's a pertinent issue and something for us to talk about as we count off the days till CD. As I said, it hasn't been discussed in-depth before so I don't think it's necessarily an automatic Dead Horse.

Anyway, I try not to complain about any aspect of this song because I love it so much, and when I first heard them play it in '06 I didn't understand why everyone was saying "they ruined it!" People on the forum were saying how they butchered it, and I totally didn't understand where they were coming from. In fact I loved the piano intro at first and the "old rasp" being used on it. However, as time progressed, and I began listening against to RIR, Boston and Tacoma versions of the song, I realized there was indeed something missing.

It's still a great song. But it sounds more "standard" now than it did in '02. Back in '02 it was kind of raw (in terms of emotions) and somehow that's lacking now. Maybe Axl just doesn't connect with the lyrics as much now. Maybe not. I don't know. But there's something I can't quite put my finger on.  It's like he isn't quite singing it with conviction. He's just going through the motions now - the feeling isn't there.

Musically there's definitely something lacking - Buckethead. And I'm not saying this to be a prick. But when you listen to Boston '02's outro or Tacoma you can hear underneath Fortus' crispy power chords and Finck's emotive bends, Buckethead is playing these dizzying melodies on (what I assume) is the pentatonic scale and it sounds amazing. It adds so much to the song. Ron Thal does not play these notes, and that is why the outro - in my opinion - sounds more "flat" than it did than. It also makes it sound more standard and not quite as overwhelming.

Pit(t)man is always bashed here but dammit, he adds something to it, too. His synth (especially audible on Tacoma) gave the song an offbeat edge. Back in 2002 it sounded similar to "old" GN'R but also had a very new sound to it.

And that's kinda my outlook on 2002 in general. Axl's voice wasn't at its best but there was a definite style, musically, that was brilliant and ahead of its time. Their image didn't quite settle well, but fuck that. The music was what it was about, and the music was awesome. Axl was onto something there. Buckethead's avant garde styling mixed with the unique qualities of Finck and Fortus' excellent rhythm guitar - it was fantastic. It was way ahead of its time - a fusion of classic rock, alt-rock, avant-garde, industrial, and something I'd never heard before. They could have formed a new genre with that stuff. Did anyone notice how funkier Think About You sounded in '02? Sounded like a completely new song. It kicked ass.

Anyway, back to The Blues. If you listen to Boston '02 it's the perfect example of what I'm talking about. Here's a link for those who haven't heard it before or want to refresh themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4DSakDCyVc

This is a music video I made a few months ago, by the way.

But if you listen to Axl's crisp vocals on that, they match the song better. And I think I expected this would happen in 2004 when Axl wasn't around and people were complaining. I thought, "The reason they're bashing his voice on the old songs is because they have something to compare it to. If he came back with a full rasp and started singing the NEW songs with it, we'd complain because it didn't sound like 2002, which is what we had grown accustomed to."

And that's what happened, basically. I think Madagascar sounds better with the new rasp but a lot of people even prefer '02 Madagascar.

I think I just prefer The Blues from '02.  The other songs sound cool now but The Blues needs to be re-transformed again. It seems like Axl tries to fluctuate back and forth today between rasp and squeaky-clean vocals on this song (it's impossible to hit those high notes with a rasp - try it some time, it's literally impossible, and that's why Axl will sing lower notes with rasp and then suddenly switch to the helium voice).

I think he should just start playing it like it was played in 2002, because that was breathtaking genius and something totally unique. Now it sounds like a kind of generic rock ballad - still a good song but not the draining, epic masterpiece it was in 2002.

Let's put it this way - there was something magical about The Blues in 2002 that propelled me to listen to it as many as 30 times a day, possibly even more. I played it nonstop - on my computer, in my car, around the house, out and about, etc. I still listen to those versions of the song. But when I listen to '06 I don't get that same feeling. There's the occasional screech that sounds reminiscent, but the overall song sounds different. Not drastically, mind you - but enough that it doesn't produce the same "emotional high" that I received from it in 2002.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 02:49:09 AM by Russian Roulette » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2006, 02:53:58 AM »

I never liked the song.

I know most do, it just never got me going.
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2006, 02:58:02 AM »

I never liked the song.

That's unfortunate. I think it is a beautiful song. And it's the perfect length, too. I could do with a longer version, of course, but this would make people compare it even more to November Rain. It's a testament to the strength of the song that it is half the length of November Rain and yet fans already compare the songs to each other. It says a lot about the quality.

It seems Axl has gotten past some of the pretentions he had in the early 1990s. I will always love songs like NR and Estranged but this is a more appropriate ballad, I think, in some ways - it's "short and sweet" and because Axl is restricted to about five minutes he tightens up the lyrics a bit. They're some of the strongest he's written, I think. They, too, reveal a new side of this album that people don't discuss very much. There's a very definite lyrical "motif" going on here - a certain style - that is overlooked (painfully so). It's almost like a concept record to some degree. Axl has definitely matured and wisened as a lyricist - this is heart-wrenching stuff - honest and emotional yet not pretentious, either.
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2006, 03:07:09 AM »

I never liked the song.

That's unfortunate. I think it is a beautiful song. And it's the perfect length, too. I could do with a longer version, of course, but this would make people compare it even more to November Rain. It's a testament to the strength of the song that it is half the length of November Rain and yet fans already compare the songs to each other. It says a lot about the quality.

It seems Axl has gotten past some of the pretentions he had in the early 1990s. I will always love songs like NR and Estranged but this is a more appropriate ballad, I think, in some ways - it's "short and sweet" and because Axl is restricted to about five minutes he tightens up the lyrics a bit. They're some of the strongest he's written, I think. They, too, reveal a new side of this album that people don't discuss very much. There's a very definite lyrical "motif" going on here - a certain style - that is overlooked (painfully so). It's almost like a concept record to some degree. Axl has definitely matured and wisened as a lyricist - this is heart-wrenching stuff - honest and emotional yet not pretentious, either.

well, i don't think that most ppl don't like the blues. it's highly liked, just as don't cry. there are lots of similarities between those two songs, e.g.
first song written by the band (old new)
length
style
feeling
boring (at least for me)

it's a nice track and i don't think there is much of a difference between 2002 & 2006. the basic structure is the same.

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2006, 03:08:14 AM »

I never liked the song.

well, i don't think that most ppl don't like the blues. it's highly liked, just as don't cry.

I know. That was my point.

The song is already drawing comparisons to great GN'R songs like "Estranged" and "November Rain." This just goes to show what a great song it is.

And while the basic structure is the same, it's the "little things" that make it sound different. On first listen it sounds the same - but if you're a die-hard fan such as myself there's something lacking. I think it's the extra stuff like the synth, the Buckethead melodies underneath the power chords (which have been replaced by Thal's acoustic power chords), the "clean" voice, the extra scales through the solo, etc., that make it have a different effect then as opposed to now.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2006, 03:28:05 AM »

I agree with you Russian Roulette. The Blues is an intricate song- with lots of interesting layers, guitar work and vocals. I also agree that 2006 live version doesn't stack up to the Buckethead era... but that could be for any number of reasons that have to do with performing it live with a new guitarist.... and your thoughts about Axl's state of mind may be a part of it too... in 01-02 he seemed much more like a beaten dog to me... and I think a song like The Blues really showed that side... but, to me, songs like Better and TWAT, and the way he performs them, show a guy who's been through hell but COME OUT ON TOP. Maybe that's more where his head is these days...

Anyway, let's hope the studio version captures the 01-02 sound... b/c it really is a beautiful and honest expression of heartbreak.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2006, 03:39:32 AM »

I never liked the song.

The 2002 version was moving for me. But now ... I don't know, it feels kind of empty.

I miss Axl's high pitched voice. I think the raspy voice doesn't do justice to the song.
And I miss the intro & outro guitar parts.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2006, 03:40:35 AM »

Awesome  analysis, R.R, many times I listen to the song , from various boots, of different shows from 2002-2006. That example from Boston, was great, somehow , Axl pulled out magic vocally,as some other shows, he doesnt "go for it". Could be a breathing thing I suspect.  Musically the band and everyone around have been solid, and on point , in the live performances, and even Ron though hes a new member, isnt gonna be the guy on the record, so I cant fault him as he got swept into this, and apparently is turing out to be a real deal member of the band but I am left as always, wondering , and anticipating, how the song truly will be left and what mark it will leave, when the album comes out.

I honestly believe its gonna be not to far off vocally as was performed in Boston, and BH, parts I am sure will still be there. Its a great tunem complex musically on many levels, and lyriclly , right to the point, not over blown , and works.

HERES TO CD WHEN WE ALL FINALLY GET TO STEP BACK AND LISTEN! beer peace

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2006, 03:42:38 AM »

I never liked the song.

The 2002 version was moving for me. But now ... I don't know, it feels kind of empty.

I miss Axl's high pitched voice. I think the raspy voice doesn't do justice to the song.
And I miss the intro & outro guitar parts.

I agree, but I'd like to talk specifically about the voice since I already addressed the other issues more in my OP.

To me it sounds weak because when he tries to handle the rasp, it's very difficult and he often ends up struggling to shift berween rasp at low points and clean "helium" voice at high points. Listen to Rock Am Ring - it's a pretty weak version of the song IMO because he sounds like he's really trying with the rasp in the beginning but it isn't very effective. If he could perfect this then it may sound good on the song, but I far prefer the cleaner vocals which sounded much better. If he tried "clean" vocals now it'd sound better than 2002 because he still doesn't sound as "helium"-ish as he did then. It would sound more like Freddie Mercury or Elton John, which I think is important to this song anyway.
Cabe
Opening Act

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2006, 04:13:07 AM »

I'm glad this thread was started...I've always had one version of this song that I've shared with others, but I'm not sure where it's from.  The version I have has always been highly praised by everyone I share it with (which has to be over 50 people by now), but I have no idea which version I have.  I guess that the only thing I could say about it that might shed some light on the version I have is that before the main guitar solo Axl says "Okay nevermind".  Where is this version from.  I've heard atleast 6 other live versions of this song, but I keep coming back to this one as the one I love best.  I love the way Axl hit the high notes at the begining of it, and I think the guitar solo is as good as it gets from all the other versions I've heard.  This one is my deffinite favorite, so can someone please tell me where it's from?  And is this version anyone elses favorite version? (sorry for spelling errors...it's late, and I've been drinking  beer)

Old at heart but I'm only 28
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2006, 04:16:16 AM »

I'm glad this thread was started...I've always had one version of this song that I've shared with others, but I'm not sure where it's from.  The version I have has always been highly praised by everyone I share it with (which has to be over 50 people by now), but I have no idea which version I have.  I guess that the only thing I could say about it that might shed some light on the version I have is that before the main guitar solo Axl says "Okay nevermind".  Where is this version from.  I've heard atleast 6 other live versions of this song, but I keep coming back to this one as the one I love best.  I love the way Axl hit the high notes at the begining of it, and I think the guitar solo is as good as it gets from all the other versions I've heard.  This one is my deffinite favorite, so can someone please tell me where it's from?  And is this version anyone elses favorite version? (sorry for spelling errors...it's late, and I've been drinking  beer)

That's Rock in Rio III, from 2001. As usual, Axl was having "technical problems," which is why he shouted at the guy backstage.

I swear he has problems with his microphone way more than he should. He's always fiddling with it on the belt clip. I think the problem is the instruments are turned up WAY TOO LOUD. They have four guitars on stage, what do they expect? Of course he can't hear himself. I can barely hear him on bootlegs! He's drowned by the instruments. They need a new soundboard crew.

Anyway, RIR3 isn't my favorite but it has particularly grown on me within the past few months. Axl's vocals in 2001 were different than in 2002. The song was also a bit more fast-paced and less of the straight-ahead rock song it was in 2002 - seems every time they resurface the song sounds more like a standard rock song. It was unique in 2001 and I do love that rendition of it.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2006, 04:44:16 AM »

its funny, im so used to the "OK Nevermind" version that its part of the song for me, and its wierd when i dont hear it in the newer versions. Anyways,we wont have a definative version until the album comes out, so it doesnt really matter.  Songs evolve over time.  Social Distortion completely changed thier song "Angels Wings" from how they played it live to how it was recorded, and a lot of the fans were mad because of the change. That being said, we shouldnt get used to the bootleg vesrions, or complain when the real version differs.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2006, 04:55:04 AM »

I wouldn't worry about it too much... at least from the album's perspective. I can't imagine Axl giving the "OK" to a flat standard rock ballad. Every track will be tinkered with so as to achieve maximum effect. The Blues will be no different. ok

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2006, 05:07:38 AM »

I keep singing "Ok, nevermind" during The Blues, and he doesn't say that anymore? hihi
Yesterday I was singing as loud as I could, and I shouted: "Ok, nevermind", but he didn't say that... Oops!

The "ok nevermind" version is still my favourite performance of the song by the band. The speed is right, and the ending guitar work is still the best of all the live gigs. Sure hope the album/studio version matches this mix. Have a slight feeling it won't though, as here now in 2006 the Blues has been changed a little, the begining is slow and theres less going on  peace
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2006, 05:35:38 AM »

I know. That was my point.

The song is already drawing comparisons to great GN'R songs like "Estranged" and "November Rain." This just goes to show what a great song it is.

And while the basic structure is the same, it's the "little things" that make it sound different. On first listen it sounds the same - but if you're a die-hard fan such as myself there's something lacking. I think it's the extra stuff like the synth, the Buckethead melodies underneath the power chords (which have been replaced by Thal's acoustic power chords), the "clean" voice, the extra scales through the solo, etc., that make it have a different effect then as opposed to now.

no way in hell you can compare NR and estranged to the blues. two pair of shoes, oranges and apples...

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2006, 06:04:30 AM »

I like the 06 version, but the tempo is too slow. The first part of the song (until the Finck guitar solo) sounds empty, but the 2nd part is fantastic, more intense. I think they really should re-work the 1st part of the song.
Anyway, the Rio 2001 version is absolutely the best ever for me. Especially the tempo.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 06:15:20 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2006, 06:19:20 AM »

I like the 06 version, but the tempo is too slow. The first part of the song (until the Finck guitar solo) sounds empty, but the 2nd part is fantastic, more intense. I think they really should re-work the 1st part of the song.

Well that's exactly what I feel. It's boring now, until the solo arrives. It was so good back then but I think the first verse only with the piano doesn't do any good. It's not powerfull enough, and those damn Finck riffs are missing rant

I hope they will be on the album ... nervous

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2006, 07:15:31 AM »

Overall I like both versions.

I completely agree about missing the Finck riffs at the beginning.

The first night at Hammerstein, I was really pissed about it. But the new versions grown on me quite a bit.

Who knows, maybe we'll get both mixes in the form of a CD single or something.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2006, 07:48:25 AM »

The New Years show before Rio and the Rio Versions are the best.  Even though they are missing Fortus on them Axl does this really high falsetto voice on the O's and on the Rio Version he's totally pissed off 'OK NEVERMIND'.  Not to mention the songs are upbeat and flow really well.  The new version of the blues, though it does have Axls Scratchy Vocals Lack the elements that really made me fall in love with the song.  Axl... speed of the song, add the guitars to the beginning... which were really heavy sounding and cool, and bring back your cool ass falsetto voice and your edgy attitude.  And then, I will LOVE the Blues. 

I'll still take a studio version of the new style of it though.... just cuz that song is that damn amazing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: