Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:32:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What do you hope to gain from Chinese Democracy?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you hope to gain from Chinese Democracy?  (Read 5829 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 08:33:31 PM »

I want to be inspired.

I want at least one song that moves me and inspires me and comforts me the way "Estranged" Did.

Besides that i want a great album from start to finish with no filler, some memorable riffs and solos, great lyrics and melodies that stand the test of time.

High expectations maybe................................... but Im sure Axl can pull it off.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
charlesfosterkane
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »

When I got into Gnr I was 12, Gnr was the biggest thing going, and the Illusions were brand new. I've been waiting for this record since the day after TSI came out. Since then my musical tastes have changed alot and I listen to more Modest Mouse than Megadeth. And my life has changed alot, as it has to from 12 to 27. So for me I think this will close off my childhood... this is really the last vestige of my boyhood. My family, my home-- all that is gone. So when this comes out it will be the last of all that I've carried with me through the years. Gnr got me through some tough times and I've bothered a lot of friends through the years with my 'this year is the year.' Now it is the year and ... its pretty surreal. I know I'm going to love the music. Nothing I've read or heard has gone against that instinct. Its just... when this is out ... now what?
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 08:45:37 PM »

Quote from: Bono
What do you hope to gain from Chinese Democracy?
A raging boner.  hihi

Nah, but seriously, I'm gonna listen to it multiple times a day every single day, I know its going to be my favorite album ever, because the songs we have heard are my favorite songs ever, for the most part.

Its gonna be a great sense of accomplishment.

I wouldn't go that far. Favorite songs ever? Nope, sorry. Are they great? Sure, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them faves of all-time.
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 08:58:31 PM »

O.k. so this is ment to be about your personal expectations for CD. Not anything to do with the impact on the music scene or the albums sold or any of that stuff, simply what you hope for and  want to gain from the album.

For me I'm hopeing for alot of songs with an atmosphere that take me somewhere. Songs with depth and feeling. For example a song like Better is a cool song but it's more catchy than anything. It doesn't ignite any feelings in me other than  the urge to stomp my foot or bang my head a bit. It's a song for the moment. A song like Madagascar or TWAT on the other hand have the the ability to take me away. For me they are songs that I can interpret more on a  personal level. They take me away to the past or future and have a more timeless sound to them. For me I want the album to contain more of these types of songs than the "Better"  songs.  Don't get me wrong I want the rockers as well but not at the expense of the timeless epic sounding tunes. I dj so I'm driving alot at night on dark empty highways and for me I love being able to reflect on things while doing that  to music that compliments that type of mood.

So I guess for the most part I hope to gain songs that are more dimensional than your typical rocker. I want the SCOM's and Estranged's and Breakdown's and Madagascar's more than I want the Jungle's, PC's, YCBM's and Better type songs. They don't necessarily have to be ballads but I suppose more often than not they are.

Great topic, I feel the same way dude.  I want a bunch of epic sounding tunes awell, but can't forget the straight ahead rockers, and if they are on par with Better, then were in for one hell of a masterpiece folks!!  beer
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 09:25:59 PM »

I want it to be worth all the delays and years of waiting.
gun
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 09:28:21 PM »

I want it to be worth all the delays and years of waiting.
That one is VERY hard to top.  That sums it up for me too RF.
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 09:34:49 PM »

All i want is to finally hear great songs such as Madagascar, The Blues, Better, and IRS in their finished version in studio quality.  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 10:59:16 PM »

I think mostly, I hope to gain some sort of closure because I've been looking forward to this album for 13 years, which is nearly half of my existence on this planet. It's a very surreal and strange feeling to think this mythical album may actually come out this year.

As for the album itself and what musical styles I'd like. I really hope it's a mixed bag of stuff (rockers, ballads and doom metal...Shocked), because that's what I love about the UYI albums, the whole diversity amongst the tracks. Something that takes you on a journey as a listener.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 11:01:28 PM »

I want to be inspired.

I want at least one song that moves me and inspires me and comforts me the way "Estranged" Did.

Besides that i want a great album from start to finish with no filler, some memorable riffs and solos, great lyrics and melodies that stand the test of time.

High expectations maybe................................... but Im sure Axl can pull it off.

This is great.. and I feel the exact same way. If Axl can put a bunch of great sounding.. deep songs.. that really stand the test of time.. I could care less if the album sells or not.

gnrevolution.com
scar2d2w
Headliner

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 11:12:46 PM »

I want to re-experience what I felt the first time I heard AFD, Lies and UYI. You know, the feeling that you're listening the greatest band in the world and that nothing can top it.

that's what i keep telling people too, cuz people who aren't following gnr now always ask me why i'm so pumped for this album.

i just want to remember why music is the coolest thing in the world.

axlroselocke
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 11:13:53 PM »

just new music
DarkStar
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 11:24:52 PM »

I'm essentially looking for closure to the GNR saga (or, as the case may be, a new chapter) and a new, unique musical experience - Axl has a truly special gift for pop melody, and I can't wait to hear what he and the new guys have come up with.
scar2d2w
Headliner

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2006, 11:34:07 PM »

I'm essentially looking for closure to the GNR saga (or, as the case may be, a new chapter) and a new, unique musical experience - Axl has a truly special gift for pop melody, and I can't wait to hear what he and the new guys have come up with.

speaking of the other band members, i'm really into seeing the liner notes and songwriting credits...should be really interesting to see who contributed what.

JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 11:45:03 PM »

I hope to gain the satisfaction that it was woth the wait.  I have so many friends that used to be GN'R fans that aren't anymore just because there hasn't been anything new from them forever.  I've stayed with them for the long haul and I want to throw it back in there face.
Ak1nney
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 11:53:43 PM »

I want to be extremely happy with the music and connect to it on a great level like I have with the leaks. Also I wanna push it in people's faces I know that say Axl is done and the new band sucks. Axl is my favorite songwriter of all time, and I want this to be a great comeback for him, I want the guy to kick some ass.
Bono
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 12:25:30 AM »

When I got into Gnr I was 12, Gnr was the biggest thing going, and the Illusions were brand new. I've been waiting for this record since the day after TSI came out. Since then my musical tastes have changed alot and I listen to more Modest Mouse than Megadeth. And my life has changed alot, as it has to from 12 to 27. So for me I think this will close off my childhood... this is really the last vestige of my boyhood. My family, my home-- all that is gone. So when this comes out it will be the last of all that I've carried with me through the years. Gnr got me through some tough times and I've bothered a lot of friends through the years with my 'this year is the year.' Now it is the year and ... its pretty surreal. I know I'm going to love the music. Nothing I've read or heard has gone against that instinct. Its just... when this is out ... now what?

Exactly my thoughts as well.  I wasn't a U2 fan when I was younger and the bands I did love back in grade school most of them I don't listen to anymore. Gn'R is a link to my highschool days and my admiration and intrigue for Axl Rose. In some way the release of CD is a sad thing. Hey I know that sounds ridiculous but the more I think about it the more it's true. This will be the end of an era. This is the one and only thing I've truely carried over with me since my teenage years. Once its out it will be like closure. My one big hope is that hearing Chinese Democracy won't taint the past. BY the past I mean the years of anticipation.  I suppose on the flip side it's one big fear that it could. I want the album to be worth the wait.  I want my intrigue for a guy who I idolized 15 years ago to remain intact. I no longer idolize him but there's not denying I am completely drawn to and intrigued by Axl Rose as most all of us here are. I want this to be amazing. as immature as it seems there's always somthing quite satisfying about being able to say "I told you so". I've never "waited" for anything this long in my life. I guess a better way of putting it would be I've never anticipated anything for this long. Who has? Hopefully the album gives us a feeling of pride knowing we stuck in there while so many others bailed out years ago.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2006, 12:29:38 AM »

The satisfaction of hearing everyone I know say the fuckin thing finally came out and you were right ITS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD!
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2006, 12:31:16 AM »

Another album from GnR that I'm still listening to 10, 15, 20 years after the release
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 12:41:22 AM »

The problem Axl has is that there are two distinct categories of GN'R fans. There are the hair metal guys who dress like Poison and still think Appetite is all the rage. They have the long hair, wear the tight leather and try to look and act like Axl when he was 22.

The other fans such as myself love Appetite equally but also appreciate the ballad-y stuff that was done later on. For me I don't really think of the leather and the whole hair metal aspect of GN'R when I think of them. I think GN'R is best symbolized by the early '90s when they had a unique style and had evolved past that stage. Axl said very early on that he didn't like hair metal and only dressed like that as a way to "get popular" since that music was popular at the time.

I think some fans of the band find more appeal in the late '80s style whereas - although I really love Appetite and how they pulled off that look - the early '90s they seemed more mature and "real." Not quite as much as a joke as seeing a guy with puffy hair and bracelets and so on.

My musical tastes are more in the vein of Rolling Stones, Queen, Led Zep, Pink Floyd - and so I like the GN'R stuff that sounds like that. I pick up on these qualities in songs like Paradise City and WTTJ despite their "sleaze rock" label.

The OTHER fans who dislike songs like "Estranged" (or prefer the sleaze rock) like Appetite for other reasons. They love Paradise City too but they enjoy it more as something to headbang to.

So Axl has to please both these crowds and it's going to be hard. Those of us who want to hear deep, mature lyrics like Madagascar and The Blues will be satisfied if he makes an album like that; whereas others who just want this to "kick ass" are going to say, "What the hell IS this shit?"

Don't get me wrong - I love Appetite. I love Better. I love the rock songs GN'R did. But that's mainly because GN'R have a quality that isn't inherent in most other bands of that genre. I cannot stand a lot of the other bands GN'R are often compared to -- and I think there are qualities in GN'Rs' early stuff that is similar to Aerosmith's early stuff, which is that it transcended the genre label and delivered more than just "hair metal," yet a lot of Appetite fans who love '80s music in general (stuff like Skid Row) don't really care and just love Appetite because it sounds kick ass.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 12:45:28 AM by Russian Roulette » Logged
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2006, 12:42:20 AM »

speaking of the other band members, i'm really into seeing the liner notes and songwriting credits...should be really interesting to see who contributed what.

Tremendous addition to the board and a true fan....stay cautious babe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: