Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:08:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Market this!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Market this!  (Read 13621 times)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2006, 01:13:50 PM »

Comparing Jarmo to Bush is an all time low.......... hihi

I disagree with it too, and have the shit posted all over my forum. But...........in Jarmo's house, I have to abide by his rules. I stick around here and read, and post about it somewhere else.

Not that big of a deal.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2006, 01:17:19 PM »

Bush, Hitler, communist, gay, Swedish, nerd... I've been called many things.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2006, 01:19:04 PM »

/jarmo

Bush was the worst though.............really.

hihi
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2006, 01:21:59 PM »

If people hear about it...that's enough for them to know it's out there. ?Letting the music speak for itself, via word of mouth, reviews, and radio/DJ patter will get them to buy it. ?IF thats what GnR is doing, it's a ballsy move, and speaks volumes about their (Axl's) confidence in the material....which, to you and me, should be good news, too.

Or it could mean that the label has given them a pittance of a marketing budget. Me thinks the label might have left it up to Axl to fund a major promo campaign, which might be why we are seeing an attempt to have a grass-roots campaign that won't cost anything.

There is no way that if they had the funds to promote the shit out of this they wouldn't be doing so. The fact they are not means there must be some sort of monetary restriction involved, and one would have to think that comes from the label.
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2006, 01:22:39 PM »

But...........in Jarmo's house, I have to abide by his rules. I stick around here and read, and post about it somewhere else.

Not that big of a deal.

I agree. ?To me, the frustrating part is WHY is management not allowing any of this? ?I understand "Waiting for the press release," but I think the dangerous part is that it will fall on deaf ears. ?It's going to take us diehards to spread the word again.

You can't compare this marketing "strategy" to Appetite, and just expect people to find them again.. ?They were a new band then, and just breaking through. ?Gn'R now has a lot of baggage (good or bad, depending on your view), and it's going to be a lot tougher to convince people that this band is STILL good.
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2006, 01:23:17 PM »

/jarmo

so...that makes you a gay, swedish commie nazi???

couldve fooled me hihi

whatever, i have a feeling with the tour starting in 5 days time, there will be alot to discuss next week

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
anythinggoes
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2006, 01:27:57 PM »

/jarmo
Swedish? Thats harsh. Jk 
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2006, 01:32:25 PM »

Or it could mean that the label has given them a pittance of a marketing budget. Me thinks the label might have left it up to Axl to fund a major promo campaign, which might be why we are seeing an attempt to have a grass-roots campaign that won't cost anything.

There is no way that if they had the funds to promote the shit out of this they wouldn't be doing so. The fact they are not means there must be some sort of monetary restriction involved, and one would have to think that comes from the label.

There's actually LOTS of reasons not to run that type of campaign for CD (just letting the label throw money at it)....not doing so does not, necessarily, have anything to do with finances or spending. ? It might, but it's not as definite as you seem to think it is.

Grass roots marketing, alternative marketing, and all sorts of other promotional techniques have been used by some pretty high profile projects. ?Consumers are being found to be more and more jaded toward traditional promotion because they have more and more control over how content is distributed to them. ?You'll find that there are a LOT of high profile PR firms who are trying things differently. ?

Usually promotion is used to bring something onto the publics radar. ?If you listen to rock music, chances are you've heard of CD before (and are hearing even more about it now). ?Why spend money to do what's already done, which is all that print, radio, and tv ads are going to do?

You MIGHT be right. ?It might be entirely a financial consideration, either because of the money already spent of because of the labels lack of confidence in the material. ?That's possible. ?But to say it's the ONLY possibility is just not true. ?And, from what we've seen and heard(some of which we can't talk about here)....I think that's becoming less and less likely that finance is the reason.

GnR, as they should, seem to be using lots of different, non-traditional, stuff. ?It looks like they're going to market this album differently than any album before. ?If they're successful, and I don't think I'm understating this, they could evolutionize the way music gets marketed.....which would be pretty slick. ?It's always been said that CD may revitalize and revolutionize the rock industry. ?It may get to do that...and not just through the music on it.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
MOTOMAN
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2006, 01:40:09 PM »

Not to go off topic, well yeah, to go off topic. ?If ya'll really think there is a strong similarity between Hitler and Bush, you need to read a history book. ?I understand the joke and all, but I think some of ya'll really might believe that shit. ?Market this...yeah.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2006, 01:42:04 PM »

I think it has nothing to do with finances.
madagas
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2006, 02:04:06 PM »

Naupis, that 35-55 group is the type that has money.....money to actually buy cd's. Record labels are beginning to shift marketing focus from young hipsters to people like me. 40 year olds with money to spend. It's a big niche that hasn't been addressed in the past.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2006, 02:08:48 PM »

What is the issue here? Any link removed from this board can be found in other places if one is expeditous enough to look. I

If Jarmo does't want it on his board, then that is something we have to live with.

I don't see how this affects anyone's enjoyment of the new music or the anticipation for the new record.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2006, 02:20:31 PM »

Naupis, that 35-55 group is the type that has money.....money to actually buy cd's. Record labels are beginning to shift marketing focus from young hipsters to people like me. 40 year olds with money to spend. It's a big niche that hasn't been addressed in the past.

Exactly, that is the point.

Not necessarily the income level, but the age group.

Who was listening to Guns n Roses 20 yrs ago? What was the age group?Huh

Who are the trying to appeal to here?

Ever seen how many 80's actors are on tv at night now? Wonder why that is? Who are they trying to appeal to?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2006, 02:21:16 PM »

Please don't discuss any brands associated with a leaked tv ad for now. Thanks.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2006, 02:27:55 PM »

/jarmo

You are like Bush!!

You Swedish nerd!

Edited for Spelling (I'm from Utah.......whadda ya want?)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 02:54:32 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Rockdawg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2006, 02:34:13 PM »

Exactly, that is the point.

Not necessarily the income level, but the age group.

Who was listening to Guns n Roses 20 yrs ago? What was the age group?Huh

Who are the trying to appeal to here?

Ever seen how many 80's actors are on tv at night now? Wonder why that is? Who are they trying to appeal to?

Oh, Oh!!!   ME, ME, ME!! ok  (32 year old)

Times are hard,
Thrills are cheaper.
Your arms get shorter,
While your pockets get deeper.
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2006, 02:39:19 PM »

/jarmo

How is a Harley ad on Harley's web site leaked? The ad isn't leaked. I think something is leaking though.

Bucketofguns
Rocker

Proud down loading motherfucker

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2006, 02:39:51 PM »

/jarmo
Right, so anyways, I really like that classic American motorcycle's new internet ad featuring a song off of Chinese Democracy

Matt.E.Zin
Opening Act

Some things never change. Don?t care.

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2006, 02:40:06 PM »

/jarmo

What do you mean with leaked ?!? There is a link to it at the main page of the official harley davidson site.

C ya

Matt.E.Zin
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2006, 02:40:58 PM »

I think it has less to do with the demographics of their target market...but for GNR it is probably more to do with the image of "said product".

I would be interested to see who is advertising during the World Series.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: