Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 08:57:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Teenage Rock Fan
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Teenage Rock Fan  (Read 6767 times)
dewdewboy
Banned
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 04:35:43 PM »

I couldnt have put it better myself. I agree 100%. This album will sell, But not as many as what HTGH board readers think.
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 04:46:55 PM »

I couldnt have put it better myself. I agree 100%. This album will sell, But not as many as what HTGH board readers think.

Are you making a generalization about board members? There is a lot of disagreement here, especially when it comes to topics like how much CD will sell. Some people think it will re-define rock music, some people think it will be a complete flop, and the more realistic members just want to hear it regardless of sales, which are impossible to predict in advance.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 04:51:47 PM »

Teenagers arent as dumb and oblivious as most want to believe.

I was buying GNR records when i was 8 years old.....

I think older people get this superiority complex and they think they are the only true fans but that is very very far from the truth.

Besides GNR can release a single and video the same day of the album. Have a triple Release.

Album,Single,Video all at the same time. 

This will create a huge buzz that releasing it through ordinary channels wouldnt.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 07:26:26 PM »

Gosh, that was insulting.? hihi
All kids in the 9th grade (14-15 in age) at my school know who GNR are. All my friends that are rock fans know about GNR releasing a new album. (maybe its because I mention it enough). But i will buy CD the day it comes out and to all the kids like the ones you described, who cares about them. I personally hate those kids who are judjmental F***heads, as Axl once said, and think GNR is not cool. It aint about GNR being cool, or the fans being cool, but that music on Chinese Democracy is pretty darn cool if you ask me.
forgotaboutsteve
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 07:43:07 PM »

I personally hate those kids who are judjmental F***heads,

that's kinda judgemental of YOU...
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 07:46:20 PM »

I personally hate those kids who are judjmental F***heads,

that's kinda judgemental of YOU...

its not judjmental to call a judjmental person judjmental, if they are infact judjmental towards everything including the personal that calls them judgmental by calling them judjmentall aswell.

way too many judmentals in that sentance.
stinson4ever
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 02:27:29 AM »

Imagine you are a 15 year old rock fan.? You grew up through grunge

if you are 15 years old today then you would have barely been born when "grunge" was hitting it big.? i don't think i even started to really discover my own musical tastes until i was an early teenager, up until that point my parents had control of the radio and record player(i was born in '77).
yeah im 15 and grunge was pretty much gone by the time i started getting into music.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 02:57:48 AM »

My perception is that the teenagers of today pretty much view GN'R the same way I and my buddies viewed Led Zep and ACDC in the early 1990's (I'm exactly 30)... great bands we wish we had been around for (in their prime)... and definitely ready to drop cash on (Led Zep: Box Set and ACDC: Razor's Edge). Of course, we didn't have the "download" option... and that may depress CD sales quite a bit. But I am confident that the interest in GN'R is there amongst teenage rock fans... and if it's a great album... it will sell very well.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 09:20:05 AM »

Ok, Well I normally couldnt care less whether or not the CD sold, but it needs to sell if you want a large tour and if you want more music to come out.

Yes there are bands that make good livings off of word of mouth sales, but they dont spend 14 years and 13 million dollars working on one CD.  The reason why Indy bands and Indy films dont need large promotions is because they dont need to do that well to make money.

Maybe its Columbus Ohio, but I was at the Drive By Truckers show last friday and i was talking to a bunch of people fans and crew alike and GNR was mentioned and many of them had no idea that a new album would be out this year, most just thought it was a myth.  These are all like 30 year old midwestern rock fans, every last one of them probably owns at least one GNR album, so this is the bread and butter fan and they have no clue that a cd is coming out, they ahve not heard the leaks, a few of them had seen the new gnr live in 2002 and were "not impressed."  The fact is if you do not get the message out to the fanbase that this CD is something they MUST buy then no one will buy it.

GNR is not Led Zepplin or the Stones, the reason why they were so respected to people who grew up in the 80's is because 1) They were pretty much still around, or at least less removed than GNR is now 2) They were openly idolized and praised by the media 3) They were full bands.  When guys from Zep or the Stones would do solo stuff it never did as good and it was ALWAYS advertised.  Its not like Ozzy on his own relied on word of mouth, to announce to the world that he was back and doing his own thing he made himself as public of a figure as possible.

Rock, contrary to what people on these boards are saying, more than doubles the sales of any other type of music.(RIAA)  Of course rock is used loosely, but most teenagers would list themselves as rock fans.  They buy their cds based on things they see, they see the Panic! at the Disco video and go out and buy the CD.  They hear TOOL on the radio and see the ads for new cds and go out and buy it.  They do not just see an album by a band they saw on behind the music and buy it.

I know a ton of people who are GNR fans and I am sure there are teens who like GNR, but if they do not hear the new music, if they do not see Axl or even worse, if they do not know there is new music they will not buy the album, the band will break up and GNR will be dead until a reunion with the original band in 2014.

There is no plan.  People who argue that this is all some grand plan are insane.  Everything GNR management has done over the last 14 years has been completely reactionary.  Axl gets no good press, there is no buzz at least not in Columbus Ohio.  Most fans know about the new GNR by what behind the music said and from the VMA performance, neither of those mediums were very Axl friendly.

Ask yourself this, in 1999 if Steven Tyler, Robert Plant, Eddie Van Halen, Mic Jagger or David Lee Roth released a solo album with no promotion do any of you actually think the album would sell more than maybe 2,000,000 records?  Most of these people have done solo albums and they all did pretty bad.  I know CD isnt a solo album, but that is how it is percieved by the mainstream audience.
Journeyman
VIP

Not like you, unlike me...

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 09:39:27 AM »

People say there is no promotion for the album, but what abour rollingstone always talking about it the last few weeks in the site and now in the magazine? Kerrang also talked about it, the mlb is advertising this tour, they made a sold out european tour, where they played some of the new song...I mean, I know we dont know the release date yet, but this is a buzz that everyone I know that is a music fan knows about!

Once CD comes out i bet there will be lots of publicity, from universal, and free publicity due to the buzz that the most expensive album is finally out. I dont expect (and i cont care) if its number 1 in the first week...but i know it will be on top for a long time. AFD wasnt number 1 in the first months...I think maybe the idea here is to promote this band fot what it is today and not what it was in the early 90's...this way we can all see how good people reacted to this new GnR

take it easy...

2/7/92 -  Alvalade, Portugal
27/5/06 - RIR, Portugal
30/7/06 - Wembley Arena, London
6/10/10 - Meo Arena, Portugal
7/5/16 - AXL/DC Algés, Portugal
2/6/17 - Algés, Portugal
5/6/22 - Algés, Portug
daubs
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 09:51:38 AM »

i dunno if its fair to say mainstream american doesnt care about gnr anymore, all they have done is toured in the last year...and that was aknowelaged..but what else can they say? do you expect them to make it news whenever axl shits? they need an album. then you will see mainstream coverage
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 10:35:11 AM »

i dunno if its fair to say mainstream american doesnt care about gnr anymore, all they have done is toured in the last year...and that was aknowelaged..but what else can they say? do you expect them to make it news whenever axl shits? they need an album. then you will see mainstream coverage

Mainstream media barely covered the tours, nor did it push at all Oh My God.  The back pages of RS and Kerrang is not major publicity.  The tours have not done that well.  People dont understand that music alone does not sell.  It is all about a gimmick, great music might make someone a decent living, but crap music plus great image will sell better everyday.  GNR has the music, from the demos and the concerts we all can tell it is there, but to give no publicity and to allow the media to pain Axl as just a psycho, fat, old, collagen injected, braided hair singer form the 80's will not sell albums.  If you dont think thats what the media does then you are blind or do not watch television anymore.  You need something other than the album release to change things, there has to be at least a single and airplay.

There is no bonus for just releasing the album.  It is a complete negative.  It is not original, it negates all the hype, hardcore fans will get the album, but theyll buy it either way.  It would just open the door to more bad press. A week after the tuesday that it is released GNR will be number 55 on Billboard and the press it will get will be a little blurb in the variety section in most newspapers that reads "13 million dollars wasted: most expensive album of all time, "Guns N' Roses'" Chinese Democracy came out this week it was 14 years in the making and wound up 55th on the charts.  New question will be whether Democracy will come to China before the inevitable GNR reunion."  Why just provide fodder.  Just promote it, release a cd release a video, let people hear the music so that it can speak for itself.
Journeyman
VIP

Not like you, unlike me...

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 10:39:42 AM »

Mainstream media barely covered the tours, nor did it push at all Oh My God.? The back pages of RS and Kerrang is not major publicity.? The tours have not done that well.? People dont understand that music alone does not sell.? It is all about a gimmick, great music might make someone a decent living, but crap music plus great image will sell better everyday.? GNR has the music, from the demos and the concerts we all can tell it is there, but to give no publicity and to allow the media to pain Axl as just a psycho, fat, old, collagen injected, braided hair singer form the 80's will not sell albums.? If you dont think thats what the media does then you are blind or do not watch television anymore.? You need something other than the album release to change things, there has to be at least a single and airplay.

There is no bonus for just releasing the album.? It is a complete negative.? It is not original, it negates all the hype, hardcore fans will get the album, but theyll buy it either way.? It would just open the door to more bad press. A week after the tuesday that it is released GNR will be number 55 on Billboard and the press it will get will be a little blurb in the variety section in most newspapers that reads "13 million dollars wasted: most expensive album of all time, "Guns N' Roses'" Chinese Democracy came out this week it was 14 years in the making and wound up 55th on the charts.? New question will be whether Democracy will come to China before the inevitable GNR reunion."? Why just provide fodder.? Just promote it, release a cd release a video, let people hear the music so that it can speak for itself.

and people will hear the music. The question here is that probably there will be no single/video before Cd release...but once its released im sure we will have videos, singles, lots of publicity, etc.. Read my post before, and dont worry so much...jesus...

2/7/92 -  Alvalade, Portugal
27/5/06 - RIR, Portugal
30/7/06 - Wembley Arena, London
6/10/10 - Meo Arena, Portugal
7/5/16 - AXL/DC Algés, Portugal
2/6/17 - Algés, Portugal
5/6/22 - Algés, Portug
Rocksteady
Rocker

Fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2006, 10:46:23 AM »

Imagine you are a 15 year old rock fan.? You grew up through grunge

if you are 15 years old today then you would have barely been born when "grunge" was hitting it big.? i don't think i even started to really discover my own musical tastes until i was an early teenager, up until that point my parents had control of the radio and record player(i was born in '77).
yeah im 15 and grunge was pretty much gone by the time i started getting into music.
Well I am soon 19 and the only thing I remember about grunge when it was big is that Biker Mice From Mars listened to it. Guess cartoons do teach you something afterall  hihi

This   is   Democracy!!!
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2006, 11:03:34 AM »

Mainstream media barely covered the tours, nor did it push at all Oh My God.? The back pages of RS and Kerrang is not major publicity.? The tours have not done that well.? People dont understand that music alone does not sell.? It is all about a gimmick, great music might make someone a decent living, but crap music plus great image will sell better everyday.? GNR has the music, from the demos and the concerts we all can tell it is there, but to give no publicity and to allow the media to pain Axl as just a psycho, fat, old, collagen injected, braided hair singer form the 80's will not sell albums.? If you dont think thats what the media does then you are blind or do not watch television anymore.? You need something other than the album release to change things, there has to be at least a single and airplay.

It's going to be hard to dispel some of these myths about Axl, and there really isn't much to be done about it. Frankly, I don't think he's that concerned about it - he's not going to be broke, no matter what happens. If the album is the album he wanted to make - the sound that was in his head- then it's a success. Of coourse, we all want it to do well, but if major sales had been his primary objective, it seems pretty obvious that he would have done a few things differently.

The other thing about public perception is that it has a short memory - especially among teenage rock fans(the demographic that this thead is discussing, I believe). Many of them weren't old enough to even pay attention to the 2002 VMA's.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 11:07:45 AM »

and people will hear the music. The question here is that probably there will be no single/video before Cd release...but once its released im sure we will have videos, singles, lots of publicity, etc.. Read my post before, and dont worry so much...jesus...

First of all your argument makes no sense and does not address anything I said. ?It does not address fodder for negative press, or any benefit of not having a single or video. ?Dont worry? ?Its a message board dude, people discuss issues, if you dont want to then dont come on a message board. ? Although you refuse to address anything I said ill mention directly what you said.

1. And people will hear the music. ?If music is dropped in a best buy and no one buys it and there is no single on the radio, no vidio on mtv, vh1 or youtube, how will people hear it (unless they dl it which negates any sales.
2. The question is whethere there will be no single/video before cd releas. No, that isnt the question that is the fact that I was assuming for my post. ?Hopefully it will not be true, but i was discussing this as if it was a known fact since it has been highly rumored.
3. Once it is released we will have singles/videos. ?Now this is a huge assumption, what tells you that. ?It would seem logical, but nothing management has done recently has been logical. ?Also, this does not address my point that releasing an album that will be "watched" by story hungry press, with the intent that it will fail at first is insane. ?The press want Axl to fail, they want the cd to do bad, why give them ammo. ?The press kicks people when they are down and loves a crash and burn story and a 13 million dollar album debuting at 55 fits that. ?Albums that cost millions to make do not come out without press because albums that cost that much are expected to debut at number one, when they do not the word of mouth that spread is "that album sucks."
4. Lots of publicity. Again a huge assumption. ?Axl is not on the top of the world, he is not a J.D. Salingeresque recluse either. ?He, in many peoples minds is a washed up 80's singer. ?He is in his 40's. ?Many people see what happened to GNR as a tragic even for rock music. Unless given reason to believe that this is the "Savior" of rock the media will not promote it, they will look to shoot it down. ?If the album sells miserably they will just either write it off or blast it. ?Most record buyers dont buy based on reviews, in my teens I dont remember ever even reading a review of an album. ?

Simply put, give me an example of this strategy working or give me a benefit of it. ?No publicity will garnish publicity is untrue, it just wreaks of defeat.
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2006, 11:40:58 AM »

?

Simply put, give me an example of this strategy working or give me a benefit of it. ?No publicity will garnish publicity is untrue, it just wreaks of defeat.

Somebody took their negative pills this morning.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2006, 11:44:27 AM »

?

Somebody took their negative pills this morning.

Wow great comment, ill take that as an inability to answer my question.
T_Roxie
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 12:35:04 PM »

Actually a lot of people are aware that there some sort of new albulm, even people i know who dont really like the band.
no more patience
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2006, 12:50:26 PM »

bunch of gromits

this is a song about your fucking mother!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: